One problem I see in RBN songs..

itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
The facial animations and lip syncing for vocalists on several RBN songs are poorly presented in songs. Examples..

In the song "Packet Flier" by Terrorhorse, I know for sure the vocalist is suppose to be screaming their ass off with wide mouth animations and eyes closed at very intense parts of the music, but instead I'm treated with a vocalist with a non-emotional blank stare and lips that look like their just mouthing the words to the song, not screaming at all.

In "Even Rats" by The Slip, it's the same non-emotional blank stare through the song. Also, during the "Woooah, Woooah, Woooah" parts in the songs, the vocalist's mouth is just opened through the part, not trying to move their mouths to make it seem like they're actually saying "Woooah" and such.

All I can say is, that's a huge letdown for me. It's awkward to see such animations and even my friends tend to point them out: "What the heck? Shouldn't the singer be screaming in this song?"

Comments

• ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    In RBN there is not any direct control over the mouth or face. They are automatically generated based on a vocal audio file so there are times when it's not optimal.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    edited March 2010
    I just love the fact that we as gamers sometimes take pure awesomeness for granted.
    None of this was even possible a short number of years ago. Technology is our friend and has given us reason to rejoice and play plastic guitars on a sunny day on a slew of songs most of us always dreamed of air drumming or playing air guitar to...
    Think of the facial animations as being like classic Kung-Fu movies. They rarely match up, but we love them for it.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Oh, but how I'd *love* to have finer control over character animation! Maybe have a little [squint_eyes] directive to make the singer look like he's screaming...

Would also love some so simple controls for the vocalist's free hand: point at audience, clench fist, point up, hold up two fingers, put hand to heart...

- m
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Markleford;3544396 said:
    point at audience, clench fist, point up, hold up two fingers, put hand to heart...

- m
    Hold up ONE finger at audience! Crotch grab! Stick out tongue and go pttthpttt! Fistfight with bass player!
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3544407 said:
    Hold up ONE finger at audience! Crotch grab! Stick out tongue and go pttthpttt! Fistfight with bass player!
    Which goes to show...

You can take the boy out of punk, but you can never take punk out of the boy. ;)

- m
    edited March 2010
    Damn straight. \m/(>_<)
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2010
    It's a problem we've ran into in testing.

It's the worst in the death metal songs.

For some reason the long screams/growls tend to make the singer clench his teeth.

That's why you'll see a lot of camera cuts away from the singer, and other 'trickery' to mask the wonky vocal animation.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I think the blank facial expressions add to the mood in "Creepy Doll".
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3544407 said:
    Hey. As a Rock Band bass player (not a real one, sadly...), I take issue with that. Are you telling me I have to punch the vocalist in the face before they can get to me? :D

It's too bad you guys don't have finer control over facial animations. Some of the choices they've made for HMX released DLC has been fantastic, and I was hoping you guys could do that too. I've already seen some creative choices on the things you *can* control, like lighting and such.
    edited March 2010
    As a real life bass player, (not a Rock Band one, sadly...) I can point out that generally speaking you've an advantage over the vocalist, because you've got that huge shovel of an instrument with you to fend that posing prima donna off with. WHANG. It's not just a bass, it's a singer-be-good stick.
  • CoheedinCoheedin Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    ethicalpaul;3544294 said:
    In RBN there is not any direct control over the mouth or face. They are automatically generated based on a vocal audio file so there are times when it's not optimal.
    ...Then why are songs still 2 bucks? I would buy some if they were $1. I can't justify paying the same premium price for RBN dlc.
    edited March 2010
    Coheedin;3544800 said:
    I would buy some if they were $1.
    That's great news, hoss! I can personally recommend Paper Valentines. It's up on the RBN - for one measly buck. Go to town! ;)
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2010
    Coheedin;3544800 said:
    ...Then why are songs still 2 bucks? I would buy some if they were $1. I can't justify paying the same premium price for RBN dlc.

a good 1/2 of the songs on RBN are $1.

Get to buyin ;)
  • CleantoneCleantone Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I played Q-Bert and PacMan.

In fact we all used to put quarters into the machines until our pockets were empty. That was just ONE day. Your complaining about less than ideal lip sync on a song you can play a million times for what would have been 8 lives in the arcades.
  • j-tork800j-tork800 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3544773 said:
    As a real life bass player, (not a Rock Band one, sadly...) I can point out that generally speaking you've an advantage over the vocalist, because you've got that huge shovel of an instrument with you to fend that posing prima donna off with. WHANG. It's not just a bass, it's a singer-be-good stick.
    I too am a real life bass player and have to say CONGRATULATIONS YOU WIN AN INTERNET!!!
    729 x 616 - 58K
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3544773 said:
    Outstanding. :)

I laughed my ass off. (Right now I'm trying to sew it back on.)

I hate to tell you this, but I'm going to steal your "singer-be-good stick" line and abuse it mercilessly and gleefully for the rest of my natural-born days.
    edited March 2010
    Cleantone;3544959 said:
    In fact we all used to put quarters into the machines until our pockets were empty. That was just ONE day.
    Yeah, ain't that a heaping helping of truth!

Kids today! Bah! Don't know how good they have it! :)

- m