So what if I want to create some songs for the Rock Band Network?

lnvisiblelnvisible Unsigned
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I'm a drummer myself and cover a ton of songs by some less popular bands, some of which will probably never see the day of light in Rock Band due to their lack of fame, or knowledge of them outside their own city.

I have never charted any songs for any game ever (such as RB or Frets on Fire), and would love to start. It would be such an amazing feeling to play some of my favorite personal songs on my Rock Band drums, along with playing them on my acoustic. I just don't know where to start.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this thread, so please forgive me if it is located wrong. I'm just wanting some guidance on where I can begin charting some songs, and what I do from there? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks so much for reading this everyone, and I hope you can help me.

Comments

• jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    You're not allowed to do songs you don't have the rights to. So cover songs are a no-no. If you have your own original songs, you can do that though. Go here for more info on how.
  • lnvisiblelnvisible Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    That makes no sense. What about some group called RockGamer Studios that have charted some songs by the metal band "Texas In July". TIJ is a signed band and has albums out, along with a good bit of popularity. I'm pretty sure they don't own the rights to their songs, their label does.

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4bYwAl19A
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Yes, but the Studios worked with the band/label to obtain the rights.
  • RidethePiggyRidethePiggy Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    lnvisible;3544718 said:
    That makes no sense. What about some group called RockGamer Studios that have charted some songs by the metal band "Texas In July". TIJ is a signed band and has albums out, along with a good bit of popularity. I'm pretty sure they don't own the rights to their songs, their label does.

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4bYwAl19A

BUT, the band/label can give the rights to a studio to do a chart FOR them. I doubt any band would have much programming/Rock Band knowledge to do their own music.
    edited March 2010
    Ah, that makes sense then.

Well screw this. I'm pretty sure they music labels aren't going to give the rights to some of their band's music to some one random guy. Maybe a Studio like I just talked about, but probably not a single person.

/dream
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    RidethePiggy;3544722 said:
    BUT, the band/label can give the rights to a studio to do a chart FOR them.
    This^.

Authors don't just go out and do a band's songs: anyhow, they can't, because they wouldn't have access to the band's raw tracks - which you need in order to author the individual parts.

If you're so fired up to do this, of course, you can go to http://creators.rockband.com/, download the authoring software, RTFM, RTFM again and again, and ask your favorite bands very very nicely if they'd like to try doing this Rock Band thing and if they'd mind terribly if you authored their tracks for them.

If you offer to do it for free, or for a 50/50 split of the royalties, they'll probably say yes - if they still own their own rights, which isn't a given.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    lnvisible;3544735 said:
    Well screw this. I'm pretty sure they music labels aren't going to give the rights to some of their band's music to some one random guy.
    There's a lot of cool bands out there that aren't backed by major labels and can't afford a whole lot of promo or production who could benefit from your enthusiasm.
    edited March 2010
    $100!

I didn't know it cost to create songs on Rock Band! Dang dude, that sucks. Well I really do want to do this, and also it could be a way to be in touch with some of my favorite bands, but I am broke at the moment, so there is another bump in the road.

Maybe when I get $100 I could start on this. I really don't wanna waste all that money though and then realize that none of my bands will give out the rights to their music. I'm then SUPER broke, haha.