Demos stop too quickly?

nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
After downloading nearly every demo on RBN (:)) i notice that the demos end on way too short notice

I mean, playing on drums, you're rocking out real hard, and then BAM, the demo's over.

Could there be a timer, like the one's during testing, to know when I can stop rocking? ;)

Comments

• SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3545270 said:
    Haha, true.

I think it's the first 30 seconds of the song, so it'll always seem like an abrupt stop. The thing that really sucks is sampling demos for vocals. Sometimes there's a bit of an intro at the beginning of a song. I haven't tried all demos, but out of the ones I have, there's some where you only get like 2 vocal phrases worth of singing before it cuts off.
    Speck's Grumpytown has no vocal phrases in it's demo.
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    one of the Main Drag's songs had no notes for drums! :D
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3545270 said:
    I think it's the first 30 seconds of the song, so it'll always seem like an abrupt stop.
    RBN demos are always the first 1 minute or 35% of the song, whichever comes first.
  • Vyse86Vyse86 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Just be happy that Green Grass & High Tides isn't on RBN :D
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Oferheaven's sake. It's the price of a candy bar. A CANDY BAR.

Buy the song.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3545309 said:
    RBN demos are always the first 1 minute or 35% of the song, whichever comes first.
    bummer, i was hoping it would be whichever comes last...
    one of my upcoming songs has a fairly lengthy piano intro. preemptive sorry, dudes.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    This is why I hope that perspective artists will still post a full band preview of their song on Youtube to promote it.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3545462 said:
    one of my upcoming songs has a fairly lengthy piano intro. preemptive sorry, dudes.
    Put a video up on YouTube when it is done so we can see the whole chart. Or, if you don't want to put up the whole thing, at least something longer than the demo.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3545606 said:
    Put a video up on YouTube when it is done so we can see the whole chart. Or, if you don't want to put up the whole thing, at least something longer than the demo.
    i don't have the means to do so myself, but will do my best to make it happen.

hopefully someone who does RB youtube videos would at least do a drums video for me if i sent them the MS points to buy the song, though i'd love to get a full band video...
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3545462 said:
    Problem with doing the later is that if anyone were crazy enough to release a one-minute song, they'd never be able to sell it because the demo would be a complete song. This way, no demo can ever be close to the full song.
  • foofighterfan4Mccainfoofighterfan4Mccain Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Demos are very helpful
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    foofighterfan4Mccain;3545691 said:
    if it is a one minute song (like Neil perts Hockey song next week) it would only be a 35 sec preview
    You might want to redo your math on that.
  • Tego1inTego1in Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Never have I said "Aww" so much when I just start up and it stops.
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3545606 said:
    Put a video up on YouTube when it is done so we can see the whole chart.
    Markleford & I have one of those for my tune:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeoAZG7T4VU;)
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I like the being able to get a demo. It really helps when you are not sure.

I laughed when I downloaded the demo for the first song on the list of the Main Drag songs and never got to play a note on drums!
    edited March 2010
    Ehfahq;3546521 said:
    It really helps when you are not sure.
    And it's totally necessary when nobody's ever even heard of the band, much less heard their music (the sitch I'm in.) those first thirty-odd seconds have to really grab someone, or it's "PTHPT. What's NEXT?"

What really throws me for a loop is when I see people here who say they don't even look at the DEMO if they don't know who it is. What? Really? Dude is seriously THAT incurious?
    I don't get how someone can live that way. It's like having his taste in food locked down at the age of six, and now he still won't eat anything but white bread, velveeta and tomato soup. AND HE'S THIRTYNINE.

/rantypants
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3546526 said:
    And it's totally necessary when nobody's ever even heard of the band, much less heard their music (the sitch I'm in.) those first thirty-odd seconds have to really grab someone, or it's "PTHPT. What's NEXT?"
    its what got me to get the heist(well, i use preview not demo, cuz i dont care about the chart as much as the way the song sounds)
    i still gotta go through SO MANY more though when i get time, including yours
    edited March 2010
    Have fun! There's a serious amount of awesome music here. I'm proud to be one of 'em.
  • maniac3000maniac3000 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    The creator should be able to select the demo window IMO.
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited March 2010
    It'd be neat if your first play of the song could be the full track, then the short version after that. :)
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    SonicRocker15X;3545168 said:
    He's saying more for a warning for when it'll stop.
    Isn't that because timed demos are built into XNA? I know most Indie Games I've played trials of just *end* after a certain amount of time and present a similiar screen to what we see after a song.

That abrupt stop may be a bit annoying at times, but for the most part I don't think there's a way to avoid it.

There's a set of hard rules about how long a demo is (it's either percentage of the song or X amount of time depending on overall length), so keep that in mind.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    maniac3000;3546539 said:
    The creator should be able to select the demo window IMO.
    The creator can select what portion of the song makes up the 30-second Preview that you hear in the Music Store. :)

But not the demo. That's the first minute (or 35%), set in stone.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3546746 said:
    The creator can select what portion of the song makes up the 30-second Preview that you hear in the Music Store. :)

But not the demo. That's the first minute (or 35%), set in stone.
    This is an important distinction. A smart author or band will choose a preview that really shows off what the song is going to do. Combined with the first minute preview, that should be sufficient to tell most people all they want about the song. If I hear a preview that sounds exactly like the demo music, then I sometimes assume that the song doesn't really "go anywhere" from the demo.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Kariodude;3545700 said:
    What? There are 100 seconds in a minute, right??
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited March 2010
    NoThru22;3546828 said:
    What? There are 100 seconds in a minute, right??
    No, there are 60 seconds in a minute.

There are 100 cents in a dollar though.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    My post was sarcasm...
  • HMXaJBcHMXaJBc Harmonix Developer
    edited March 2010
    Ultrace;3546773 said:
    This is an important distinction. A smart author or band will choose a preview that really shows off what the song is going to do. Combined with the first minute preview, that should be sufficient to tell most people all they want about the song. If I hear a preview that sounds exactly like the demo music, then I sometimes assume that the song doesn't really "go anywhere" from the demo.
    That is EXACTLY why we chose the preview we did for "The Heist". We knew people would see [and LIKE?] the intro and part of the first cycle so highlighting the end of the drum solo and beginning of the guitar solo would show people that there was plenty of fun on the way.
  • foofighterfan4Mccainfoofighterfan4Mccain Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Kariodude;3545700 said:
    ya my bad I put I minute as 100 seconds, I'm stupid, it would be like 20 seconds