Weird Al Yankovic on RBN?

evets90evets90 Unsigned
edited August 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Has anyone contacted Weird Al about RBN? I tried looking around on his website but the only possible contact method on his site (his "Ask Al" page, which was buried in the site and hasn't been updated in a while) has a question form but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Does anyone have a contact with Al and if so has there been any word?

Comments

• quinakingquinaking Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    LuigiHann;3545809 said:
    Albuquerque is over the ten minute time limit, although the most hilarious loophole to get around that would be to simply speed the song up until it is short enough.
    Why is there a time limit? Well fop1 like 5 hour songs I could understand but nothing over ten minutes? That's bull****.
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited March 2010
    I wanna see the accordion charted to guitar. :)
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited March 2010
    quinaking;3545827 said:
    Why is there a time limit? Well fop1 like 5 hour songs I could understand but nothing over ten minutes? That's bull****.
    Harmonix has stated that there are kinks with songs over 10 minutes. While those kinks can be ironed out for official dlc, it is not possible to do that with RBN created songs, which is why the rule is there.

Don't be so quick to judge what is "bulls***" and what is not. Sometimes that doesn't end so well.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited March 2010
    bredcaykz;3545730 said:
    I'm not very familiar with the fellow, but wouldn't his parodies be considered covers? Isn't that not allowed? Does he have original songs?
    He has the right to sell his covers. People with the rights to distribute covers are allowed to submit them. What they didn't want was some garage band recording "Stairway to Heaven" and putting it out there.
  • quinakingquinaking Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    CCDaDon;3545860 said:
    Harmonix has stated that there are kinks with songs over 10 minutes. While those kinks can be ironed out for official dlc, it is not possible to do that with RBN created songs, which is why the rule is there.

Don't be so quick to judge what is "bulls***" and what is not. Sometimes that doesn't end so well.
    It's still bull**** though. Just because there's a reason for it doesn't mean it isn't.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    quinaking;3545773 said:
    Albuquerque would be so amazing on vocals.
    agreed, and i would love singing Jeopardy:D
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    CCDaDon;3545752 said:
    Of course he has original songs. Also a lot of his parodies are style parodies and use original composition to sound like the band he's parodying.

Also they wouldn't be technically be covers since they are parodies and legal mumbo jumbo here.
    Albuquerque is original, right?
  • Thony_HedgehogThony_Hedgehog Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I'm all for that. Someone contact him! :D
  • shimwoodshimwood Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    If there's one thing that Rock Band is lacking it's songs about a homicidal Santa Claus.
  • Anton_96Anton_96 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    To me, he seems pretty "meh", but after listening to the full Albuquerque, I know want that song in Rock Band so bad:

There's just 2 problems:
    1. It's 11 and a half minute long, so some part would have to be left out, or it would need to be in 2 parts.
    2. The part:
    "So I grabbed his leg and he grabbed my esophagus
    And I bit off his ear and he chewed off my eyebrows
    And I took out his appendix and he gave me a colonic irrigation"
    would maybe be flagged as too violent.

EDIT: And maybe the chainsaw part too, even through it is hilarious. And the bite part.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    So, has anyone tried to contact him yet? I've been trying to and he is a hard person to get ahold of. There is no email address for him, his "Ask Al" page hasn't been updated since 2007, and his manager doesn't even have and email address. So the only way to contact him is to send a letter to his manager in CA.
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    We already have Lump on RB2. So we NEED Gump!
  • edited March 2010
    The topic of Weird Al's parodies on RBN was directly addressed by HMX on the creators forums. Short version - only the original/style parodies are allowable.

That said, "Genius In France" would be even better than Albequerque. And "I'll Sue Ya"...
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Scratching The Itch;3546426 said:
    The topic of Weird Al's parodies on RBN was directly addressed by HMX on the creators forums. Short version - only the original/style parodies are allowable.
    True. HMX themselves could release the covers though. They've already released a few covers. I'm not talking about the Wavegroup covers, I mean ones like Alien Ant Farm's Smooth Criminal and The Muffs' Kids in America.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Anton_96;3546186 said:
    2. The part:
    This isn't Lego Rock Band. I'm sure anything Weird Al would sing is fine for a T-rated game.

It's just as well that parodies aren't allowed. I'd rather have songs that are fun to play than parodies of songs that are already in the game.
  • evets90evets90 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    bengino;3545394 said:
    i can try and contact him via twitter, he does answer some from time to time, i'll see what i can do on my end.
    Parodies are 100% legal, you don't need to get permission to use them. Also, Weird Al's library is about 60% original and 40% parody.
    Anton_96;3546186 said:
    To me, he seems pretty "meh", but after listening to the full Albuquerque, I know want that song in Rock Band so bad:

There's just 2 problems:
    1. It's 11 and a half minute long, so some part would have to be left out, or it would need to be in 2 parts.
    2. The part:

EDIT: And maybe the chainsaw part too, even through it is hilarious. And the bite part.
    Listen to some of the songs in RB (BSSM/Visions anyone?) and you'll find that there is FAR worse in the game than trivial lines like you posted. Don't be a prude. This is a T-rated game, those lyrics are 100% fine for this game.
    edited March 2010
    evets90;3546677 said:
    BSSM/Visions anyone?
    You forgot Hammer Smashed Face. :)
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3546523 said:
    True. HMX themselves could release the covers though. They've already released a few covers. I'm not talking about the Wavegroup covers, I mean ones like Alien Ant Farm's Smooth Criminal and The Muffs' Kids in America.
    Or, to be even more contemporary, The Futureheads' cover of Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love."
  • benginobengino Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Alright, i just sent him a tweet, if i get any replies, i will let you people know.
    edited March 2010
    bengino;3546801 said:
    Alright, i just sent him a tweet, if i get any replies, i will let you people know.
    Good show. I'd love to see what he says.
  • CaptainKickerCaptainKicker Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    I would love to sing "Virus Alert", "Everything You Know Is Wrong", "Jurassic Park", "When I Was Your Age" and "Don't Download This Song".
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    I'm seeing him live tonight. Gonna try to break in the back way and make him talk to me at gunpoint.

I mean, I'm gonna get one of my friends that works that venue to get me in to talk to him.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    Kariodude;3895346 said:
    I'm seeing him live tonight. Gonna try to break in the back way and make him talk to me at gunpoint.

I mean, I'm gonna get one of my friends that works that venue to get me in to talk to him.
    Let Al know I'm very interested in authoring his music. ;)
  • cjmoore8991cjmoore8991 Banned
    edited July 2010
    TheOzone;3895441 said:
    Let Al know I'm very interested in authoring his music. ;)
    You will just lose the rights to warner or some ****
  • moomandwwmoomandww Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    On the subject of Al, ive actualy done alot of thinking on what songs of his would not only be great for RBN, but wouldent break any copywrights.

Heres the list i compiled; (From all his albums)

Skipper Dan (Style parody of Weezer)
    CNR (Style parody of The White Stripes)
    I'll Sue Ya (Style parody of Rage Against the Machine)
    Virus Alert (Style parody of Sparks)
    UHF (Style parody of "State of Shock" by The Jacksons)
    Generic Blues (Style parody of Chicago blues)
    Fun Zone (Instrumental that would be great with the keyboard)
    Traffic Jam (Style parody of "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince)
    Everything You Know Is Wrong (Style parody of They Might Be Giants. Would be great with the keyboard)
    I Remember Larry (Style Parody of Hilly Michaels)
    Your Horoscope For Today (Style-parody of The Mighty Mighty Bosstones)
    Albuquerque (In 2 parts of course, due to the length)
    Hardware Store
    Why Does This Always Happen To Me? (Style parody of Ben Folds. Would be great with the keyboard)
    Genius In France (Style parody of Frank Zappa)
    Dare To Be Stupid (Style parody of Devo. Would be great with the keyboard)
    Ringtone (Style parody of Queen)

Kariodude and Ozone, MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!
  • cjmoore8991cjmoore8991 Banned
    edited July 2010
    I personally want Kris to get in touch with Al, not Ozone
  • moomandwwmoomandww Opening Act
    edited July 2010
    cjmoore8991;3895484 said:
    I personally want Kris to get in touch with Al, not Ozone
    Aw come on, hes not totaly cursed. At least i hope not.

Ozone, could you stay away from PAX East for me? Just to be careful.
  • fatalfiend37fatalfiend37 Road Warrior
    edited July 2010
    smells like Nirvana !
    I want some Eat It !
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited July 2010
    Seeing how the Rock Band Network has a strict rule against covers, I don't think we'll be seeing any parodies, especially of songs that have already been in Rock Band for months.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited July 2010
    Kariodude;3895346 said:

Good luck. Let us know what you learn :)