Update on the multiple XNA-supported countries still with no word on RBN?

THFSgnTHFSgn Unsigned
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Countries like Australia, New Zealand, Finland, Denmark etc. We've been left completely in the dark by HMX with no warning of RBN not being available in our country, which really sucks. I'd be fine if a list of countries that wouldn't be getting RBN was published with the original announcement (like the lack of PS3 and Wii support) but we'd been led to believe the whole time that we'd be getting RBN just like everyone else.

So, what's happening?

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    THFSgn;3545178 said:
    I'd be fine if a list of countries that wouldn't be getting RBN was published with the original announcement
    There's a list of countries in the "RBN Store Goes Live!" announcement thread:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184757
    HMXHenry;3541675 said:
    Regarding the RBN store outside the US, we're still plugging away at this and you should see some changes in the very near future. The RBN store should be supported in all regions where 1) RB DLC is supported and 2) XNA is supported. This includes US, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Sweden and Singapore. Keep posted to the in game store, the forums and our Twitter accounts for regular updates. Thanks for your patience!
    edited March 2010
    THFSgn;3545313 said:
    As for that list, XNA is supported in other countries (Australia, New Zealand etc.) so why are we being completely ignored regarding the matter?
    Well that's really only partially true. First, you've got the fact that RB2 hasn't even been released in Australia. Second, XNA is not fully supported in Australia. Here, directly from XNA's FAQ:
    In which regions are Xbox LIVE Indie Games available for purchase?
    Consumers in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, Sweden, Singapore and Spain are able to download Xbox LIVE Indie Games for purchase. We are continually working to add additional regions.

Developers from which countries are able to sell their games?
    XNA Creators Club Online Premium members in Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom, and the United States are able to sell their games. We are continually working to add additional regions, but these are the only countries were XNA Creators Club Online is enabled to pay their residents.
    Since the RBN songs technically fall under the veil of Indie Games, that's why the country list from HMXHenry's post is the same as the country list from that first FAQ question. Australia and New Zealand are not on the list of countries that can purchase Indie Games, hence they cannot purchase RBN songs at this time.
  • Vyse86Vyse86 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    So, RBN is available in Germany? That's a surprise, because in an interview last summer, LoPicollo said that RBN will be available "in all European countries except Germany". HMX completely ignored questions regarding that matter, so I lived 9 months completely in the dark, trying to read as little about RBN as possible.

But I do feel dirty now, seeing that other countries got axed without warning. But I know from talking with HMX at gamescom that they as a developer are always angered themselves when certain people can't play the game they worked so hard on (that was regarding the long time it took to get RB1 out in Europe), so I'd say they do everything to support as many countries as possible.
    edited March 2010
    THFSgn;3545360 said:
    The RB2 release in Australia is irrelevant considering there are many other countries where RB2 has been released with (partial) XNA support who haven't heard anything either.
    Except that it's not irrelevant. RBN is exclusively a RB2-based product. RBN songs are only playable and purchasable in RB2. For it to be made available in Australia, where RB2 is not even available, wouldn't make any sense.
  • Mcmax3000Mcmax3000 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    THFSgn;3545360 said:
    The RB2 release in Australia is irrelevant considering there are many other countries where RB2 has been released with (partial) XNA support who haven't heard anything either.
    How is this irrelevant? If Rock Band 2 isn't available in Australia, how would Rock Band Network be available?
    THFSgn;3545401 said:
    This is from an interview with the vice president of product development:

GS: What are the international plans for Rock Band Network? Will these songs be available simultaneously worldwide? Can the artists control which territories can download their music?

GL: There's nothing in place that would allow someone to determine region. If it's in the Rock Band Network Store, it's in the Rock Band Network Store.
    ---
    His answer implies that songs will be available worldwide, and the ONLY country mentioned in the interview as not being able to use RBN was Germany. That's a pretty big mistake to make and not correct, when you have thousands of people in other countries looking forward to something that isn't actually coming to them.
    His answer was that bands wouldn't be able to restrict which reasons the songs could be sold in. He was saying that if they release the song on RBN, it will be released anywhere RBN is available. He didn't in any way imply that RBN was coming out everywhere in that statement.
    edited March 2010
    THFSgn;3545401 said:
    GL: There's nothing in place that would allow someone to determine region. If it's in the Rock Band Network Store, it's in the Rock Band Network Store.
    ---
    His answer implies that songs will be available worldwide
    Sorry dude, his answer does not imply that at all. You inferred that. Big difference.

His answer only states that artists cannot control what region of the world CAN download their song. Anything else you infer from that response is your own doing, not his.

"It's in the Rock Band Network Store". Yes, and as stated earlier, RBN songs as classified as "Indie Games", and "Indie Games" are not purchasable through XNA in Australia. This is Microsoft's fault.
    edited March 2010
    THFSgn;3545419 said:
    and go even further in the other direction by implying in a high-profile interview that songs would indeed be available worldwide, with the exception of Germany.
    See that's the thing, he never implied any such thing. In fact, he didn't even answer that question at all. He was asked 3 questions in a row, and he only answered the last one, "Can the artists control which territories can download their music?". Don't take his answer to one and use it for the other 2 questions. They don't apply.
  • Mcmax3000Mcmax3000 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    THFSgn;3545419 said:
    and go even further in the other direction by implying in a high-profile interview that songs would indeed be available worldwide, with the exception of Germany.
    That wasn't implied though... You're putting words into his mouth. He answered the question about whether or not the songs could be region locked.

And there's nothing to say that RBN won't be available in other countries in the future. Harmonix has nothing to gain by holding back content from other regions. The more people that can buy their content, the more money they can make.

Considering the licensing hell you can get into with things like music, I'd say Harmonix has done an amazing job with bringing DLC to as many countries as they have.
  • ScapegoatScapegoat Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    THFSgn;3545469 said:
    The point isn't that RBN isn't available. The point is that despite being given multiple chances, HMX never made mention of the fact that RBN wouldn't be available in multiple countries. Thousands of people had gotten their hopes up waiting for a service that wasn't actually coming to them, and HMX did nothing to prevent this.
    Unfortunate, but we just have to deal with it.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    THFSgn;3545469 said:
    The point isn't that RBN isn't available. The point is that despite being given multiple chances, HMX never made mention of the fact that RBN wouldn't be available in multiple countries. Thousands of people had gotten their hopes up waiting for a service that wasn't actually coming to them, and HMX did nothing to prevent this.
    The limitations are on *Microsoft's* end, not HMX's. HMX merely stated that the RBN will work everywhere the XNA (and Indie Games) work, and uses the same system. It's not HMX's imperative to repeat all the rules & regs & FAQs of a Microsoft product.

And Microsoft states clearly that they're expanding XNA into new regions as quickly as possible. So be patient....knowing Microsoft, they'll achieve full global dominance within six months.
  • deathjunior6deathjunior6 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3545569 said:
    The limitations are on *Microsoft's* end, not HMX's. HMX merely stated that the RBN will work everywhere the XNA (and Indie Games) work, and uses the same system. It's not HMX's imperative to repeat all the rules & regs & FAQs of a Microsoft product.

And Microsoft states clearly that they're expanding XNA into new regions as quickly as possible. So be patient....knowing Microsoft, they'll achieve full global dominance within six months.
    But we already have the XNA...
    edited March 2010
    deathjunior6;3545590 said:
    But we already have the XNA...
    From the XNA website:
    In which regions are Xbox LIVE Indie Games available for purchase?
    Consumers in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, Sweden, Singapore and Spain are able to download Xbox LIVE Indie Games for purchase. We are continually working to add additional regions.

Developers from which countries are able to sell their games?
    XNA Creators Club Online Premium members in Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom, and the United States are able to sell their games. We are continually working to add additional regions, but these are the only countries were XNA Creators Club Online is enabled to pay their residents.
    Members in Australia can *sell* their indie games/RBN tracks, but 360 owners in Australia can't *buy* those indie games/RBN tracks yet.

It's because of annoying bureaucratic laws about international commerce and fun stuff like that. But until Australia agrees to allow their people to buy XNA end-user products from Microsoft, you won't be able to buy RBN tracks.

So, if you want to start a campaign to get the RBN songs to Australia, it starts with your government. March on Parliament or something.
  • BigJAG2004BigJAG2004 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    As far as I know, Rock Band 2 isn't available in Singapore as well, unless I'm mistaken.
    edited March 2010
    BigJAG2004;3545667 said:
    As far as I know, Rock Band 2 isn't available in Singapore as well, unless I'm mistaken.
    But you could still theoretically own RB2 if you lived in Singapore (bought it online or bought it in another country), and, since XNA has been approved for *purchases* there, you can buy RBN songs, too.

It has nothing to do with whether or not HMX sells RB2 in Australia or Singapore or anywhere else....it has *everything* to do with international laws. The XNA site I just quoted shows that there's several discrepancies between nations that have been approved by their respective governments to allow XNA members to *sell* product versus those nations that can *purchase* XNA products.

Specifically: Australia, NZ, Norway, Denmark, Ireland and The Netherlands are the countries that can *sell* or license RBN tracks/indie games, but people in those countries can't *buy* same. (Yet.)
  • deathjunior6deathjunior6 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3545708 said:

Specifically: Australia, NZ, Norway, Denmark, Ireland and The Netherlands are the countries that can *sell* or license RBN tracks/indie games, but people in those countries can't *buy* same. (Yet.)
    I was thinking would it be possible for Harmonix to some how do what there planning to do with the PS3 and Wii and just release it like normal DLC for people who don't live live in the magical "we do what austrain't" countrys
  • RedIon1992RedIon1992 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3545631 said:
    From the XNA website:

Members in Australia can *sell* their indie games/RBN tracks, but 360 owners in Australia can't *buy* those indie games/RBN tracks yet.

It's because of annoying bureaucratic laws about international commerce and fun stuff like that. But until Australia agrees to allow their people to buy XNA end-user products from Microsoft, you won't be able to buy RBN tracks.

So, if you want to start a campaign to get the RBN songs to Australia, it starts with your government. March on Parliament or something.
    Obligatory Michael Atkinson reference.

I can't be stuffed explaining it (it's 1am here), go look it up yourself.
  • NyhusernNyhusern Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    THFSgn;3545178 said:
    Countries like Australia, New Zealand, Finland, Denmark etc. We've been left completely in the dark by HMX with no warning of RBN not being available in our country, which really sucks. I'd be fine if a list of countries that wouldn't be getting RBN was published with the original announcement (like the lack of PS3 and Wii support) but we'd been led to believe the whole time that we'd be getting RBN just like everyone else.

So, what's happening?
    The same with Norway :(
  • aperfectorestesaperfectorestes Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Pereira;3657623 said:
    That would've made for a great press release.

"The following countries, from A to Z, will not be able to download RBN songs:
    Afghanistan
    Akrotiri
    Albania
    Algeria
    American Samoa
    Andorra
    Angola
    Anguilla
    Antarctica..." etc.
    I lol'd:p
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Just create an american Xbox Live Account, get some american MS points and buy the songs with that account... at least that's what i would do
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited April 2010
    Pereira;3657623 said:
    Akrotiri
    Wow, of all the places to not get RBN... HMX really dropped the ball there considered the die hard rock band playing fanbase in Akrotiri.

Seriously dude, how did you manage to pull that name out of the blue :eek:
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    axelkothe;3657937 said:
    Just create an american Xbox Live Account, get some american MS points and buy the songs with that account... at least that's what i would do
    that's what i do right now, but you never know when RBN is actually available in our country... so then i've created that account for nothing... plus, if i happen to destroy my console, and get a new one and recover the gamertags, i'd think i'd have to be logged in that US account all the time when i play RB2
  • iamdownhereiamdownhere Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    After being screwed over for releases on both RB and RB2 in NZ (although we finally have RB2 but no new hardware) this has come as no surprise. I am not going to hold my breath on this XNA ever being available here as it seems RBN is the only thing that is of worth and whoever is the one who gives the ok (some Microsoft geek or government body) for this has far too many important golf appointments to worry about this.

I know it is not the fault of HMX and they probably do get really annoyed when they come up with great solutions to further this brand only to be cut off at the knees with idiots who control the system RBN works off for the xbox.

The idea of allowing the songs that are going to be available for PS3 to be made available on 360 and Wii is a better than nothing solution, and i would be happy with that for now.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2010
    Here's hoping for my friends' sake that they'll have XNA/RBN access in Switzerland soon. (Thankfully mine is registered in the US.)
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    dinoman;3658660 said:
    plus, if i happen to destroy my console, and get a new one and recover the gamertags, i'd think i'd have to be logged in that US account all the time when i play RB2
    You can transfer all your dlc licenses to another 360 console (only once a year though). No problem there. Only if MS should decide to ban those fake accounts...
  • ThunderCurlsThunderCurls Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    axelkothe;3662337 said:
    You can transfer all your dlc licenses to another 360 console (only once a year though). No problem there.
    No problem but a severe annoyance to those who've downloaded a lot of DLC. Using the License Migration System requires you to not only transfer licenses but to then redownload everything that requires correction.
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    THFSgn;3545313 said:
    I meant the original announcement as in the one that came out months ago, which had no mention of countries being excluded. The announcement that got everyone in these excluded countries excited for RBN.

As for that list, XNA is supported in other countries (Australia, New Zealand etc.) so why are we being completely ignored regarding the matter?
    Personally, I am glad they didn't announce that originally. That would have just given you more time to whine about it.
  • benetbenet Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    maybe this isn't really what you're talking about but are the countries that do have XNA able to publish music on RBN or is that only available in the states?
  • RagdollHeroRagdollHero Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    dinoman;3658660 said:
    that's what i do right now, but you never know when RBN is actually available in our country... so then i've created that account for nothing... plus, if i happen to destroy my console, and get a new one and recover the gamertags, i'd think i'd have to be logged in that US account all the time when i play RB2
    Not true; if you ever have to replace your Xbox, you can transfer all the licenses from your original console to the new one (including those for your US account).