Rockband network ps3

exodo92exodo92 Unsigned
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
ok i know that the xbox 360 gets the tracks for download first and ps3 30 days later but what is meant by "stand out tracks".
how is it determined if the tracks are going to the ps3/wii?
do the artist choose?
are they chosen randomly?
is it by popularity and which ones are sold more?
this really does not seem fair

HARMONIX..please respond..or any one else with info

Comments

• toad3000toad3000 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    shaybo;3545232 said:
    PS3 doesn't have anything like XNA. That's not HMX's fault, it's the PS3's.
    This still confuses me. What is it that XNA does that PSN doesn't?
  • bss4life2bss4life2 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    it seems like every game made these days are only giving good content to xbox 360 owners and nothing for ps3, i bought a $600 system to be shafted by every major gaming company
  • silentknellsilentknell Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    exodo92;3545224 said:
    ok i know that the xbox 360 gets the tracks for download first and ps3 30 days later but what is meant by "stand out tracks".
    how is it determined if the tracks are going to the ps3/wii?
    do the artist choose?
    are they chosen randomly?
    is it by popularity and which ones are sold more?
    this really does not seem fair

HARMONIX..please respond..or any one else with info
    Back in July of '09, I asked this in the Official Discussion:
    silentknell;2736207 said:
    1. Has it been answered in this thread yet about the requirements that need to be met for these songs to be transferred over to the non-XBOX360 consoles? As in, what will constitute "Stand Out Tracks"?

a) If it is based on the number of individual purchase, exactly how many purchases will there need to be?

b) If it is based on the amount of dollars that a song makes, then what is the exact amount of dollars that a song needs to pass in order to be transferred?

c) Or is it based on some other factor/s? If so, what are they?

2. Will there be any other way besides being hand picked by HMX for the bands to get particular tracks over to non-XBOX360 console when they fail to meet the above guideline?
    HMXEnosity answered:
    HMXEnosity;2747012 said:
    1) Yes and No. There will be many factors such as RBN popularity, Band popularity, HMX picks, fan favorites, etc..

2) Possibly in the future. Depends if we can get RBN working on the other consoles. That's our goal (to have RBN running on all consoles).
    So there you go. Just cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Edit:
    Karusune;3545250 said:

2. They are probably being PAID to keep it Xbox only.
    What.

Seriously, people?
  • SpargeSparge Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    So what's the deal? Is RBN available on the PS3 today? If so, how do you get to it? If not, I'm seriously peeved at HMX and will be thinking seriously about dropping the Rock Band franchise, even though I've spent a lot money and time on it so far. At the least, it'll be cold day in Hell before they get more of my money.
    edited March 2010
    Sparge;3545339 said:
    So what's the deal? Is RBN available on the PS3 today? If so, how do you get to it? If not, I'm seriously peeved at HMX and will be thinking seriously about dropping the Rock Band franchise, even though I've spent a lot money and time on it so far. At the least, it'll be cold day in Hell before they get more of my money.
    If that's what you want to do, then you should do that.
  • SpargeSparge Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    No, that's not what I want to do. Not even close. What I want to do right now is browse the RBN store on my PS3 and possibly buy some songs. What I don't what to do is to be treated like a second-class citizen because I don't have an XBOX.

So I take the answer is that, no, RBN is not available today for the PS3?
    edited March 2010
    Sparge;3545367 said:
    No, that's not what I want to do. Not even close. What I want to do right now is browse the RBN store on my PS3 and possibly buy some songs. What I don't what to do is to be treated like a second-class citizen because I don't have an XBOX.

So I take the answer is that, no, RBN is not available today for the PS3?
    No. However, selected tracks from RBN will be made available for PS3 and Wii starting in a month or two. But if you're that angry, then you should probably not buy those either.
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited March 2010
    http://www.xna.com/

Do some homework.

Until Sony releases something similar to this, you will not get the RBN on the PS3. So if you have any frustrations, take them out on Sony, not HMX. Push them to develop and release a game development tool/system for independent and aspiring game developers.

As far as what tracks will make it over..../shrug. ;)
  • SpargeSparge Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    silentknell;3545380 said:
    No. However, selected tracks from RBN will be made available for PS3 and Wii starting in a month or two.
    Thanks for the straight answer.
    But if you're that angry, then you should probably not buy those either.
    You're probably right, but I don't really want or need your advice in that area. I'm a big boy, probably older than your father, with considerable disposable income. Not the kind of customer that businesses like to lose. I doubt I'm the only PS3 customer that HMX will lose.
    edited March 2010
    Sparge;3545408 said:
    I doubt I'm the only PS3 customer that HMX will lose.
    Sorry to see you go. Have a nice day.
  • Mikey35Mikey35 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Why does Sony have to release an XNA equivelent?? The songs can be created on that through the XBOX. But what I dont understand is, we have many applications that can convert files such as wavs, mp3s, divx, mov, etc etc, that with a proper converter can easily be converted to a format that works for your choosing.

So why cant harmonix create some kind of converter that changes the file so it is useable on the PS3? Is it really that hard? With all the technology and programs out there now, theres got to be something that they could come up with.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Because then the songs have to be formally submitted to SONY (and Nintendo) for approval and that can cost thousands of dollars. Each time.

XNA allows people to submit content, adjust as necessary, and then when it's voted as acceptable by the community, it can be released for purchase. For only $100 per year.

Until SONY or Nintendo creates something like this, it just won't happen. But then, for some people it is always easier to play the part of the put upon consumer, isn't it?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    Mikey35;3545437 said:
    So why cant harmonix create some kind of converter that changes the file so it is useable on the PS3? Is it really that hard? With all the technology and programs out there now, theres got to be something that they could come up with.
    Yes, it really is that hard. Read on:
    HMXHenry;3514959 said:
    I would imagine that it has something to do with the fact that the pipeline for moving these songs from Creators Club into the RB Music Store already exists because of the XNA framework. Just because they exist in Creators Club that doesn't mean that we could drag and drop that content onto another platform. I'm assuming that any songs submitted to other platforms would still need to pass certification before being put up for sale, and once you start talking about hundreds or thousands of songs in addition to our regular DLC output... well that's a lot of songs.

It's obviously in everyone's best interests (that goes for HMX, first party, the bands in RBN, anyone downloading these songs) to make RBN available to as many people as possible, and hopefully the progress we've made so far is a good indication of the strides we're making to bring new music to people. Rome wasn't built in a day, but everyone in RBN (all the bands, authoring groups, peer reviewers, etc) are doing a damn fine job with what they've built so far. I, personally, can't wait to see what happens next.
    It's not just about converting the files, ya know. There's also accounting that needs to be handled. On the 360, that's all handled by XNA, which takes the payment and distributes it to the authors. With the lack of an XNA platform on the PS3, who's going to handle that?
  • SpargeSparge Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Jixzer;3545383 said:
    http://www.xna.com/

Do some homework.
    Sorry, but I am doing research. I got an e-mail today from Harmonix saying RBN was open for business. Not "open for business on the XBOX 360", just open for business. Great, I say to myself. So I fire up RB2, go to the store, see nothing that looks like RBN. Hmm... A quick google leads me here, where there's still no answer to the question. Yes, by now I'm frustrated and angry.

I don't care about XNA at all. I'm not so involved in Rock Band that I'd post nearly 5000 messages to a forum about it.

If HMX didn't want to annoy, anger, and frustrate their PS3 users, they could have handled this much better.
  • Mikey35Mikey35 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Thanks, I really didnt know the specifics it just seemed weird that they couldnt just convert the files and submit those new files to Sony.

But the other thing is Im sure that Harmonix approached Sony when this idea first was in the works, which Im sure was a while ago, then we had what 6 months from the time they announced it?? Why is Sony dragging on this?? Its just fustrating being a PS3 owner who bought his system to play RB on. I stayed clear of the XBOX only because of how many people I knew were having problems with them. But if I knew this was going to be the case 2-3 years later, I think I may have just took the risk on the XBOX.
    edited March 2010
    Mikey35;3545486 said:
    Thanks, I really didnt know the specifics it just seemed weird that they couldnt just convert the files and submit those new files to Sony.

But the other thing is Im sure that Harmonix approached Sony when this idea first was in the works, which Im sure was a while ago, then we had what 6 months from the time they announced it?? Why is Sony dragging on this?? Its just fustrating being a PS3 owner who bought his system to play RB on. I stayed clear of the XBOX only because of how many people I knew were having problems with them. But if I knew this was going to be the case 2-3 years later, I think I may have just took the risk on the XBOX.
    XNA didn't just pop up overnight. It was something MS had been planning for some time. Mainly it's a platform for people to develop their own games and possibly earn money. HMX simply took that idea and decided it was also and excellent way to expand their game by allowing bands that normally wouldn't have the opportunity to create and sell their own songs.

Maybe it's possible for SONY (and Nintendo) to create their own XNA-style service. But until that happens, RBN is the domain of the Xbox and only a certain selection of songs (determined by things like sales or band popularity or even if HMX just wants to do it) will be converted and submitted for PS3 and Wii.
    edited March 2010
    Sparge;3545476 said:
    Sorry, but I am doing research. I got an e-mail today from Harmonix saying RBN was open for business. Not "open for business on the XBOX 360", just open for business. Great, I say to myself. So I fire up RB2, go to the store, see nothing that looks like RBN. Hmm... A quick google leads me here, where there's still no answer to the question. Yes, by now I'm frustrated and angry.

I don't care about XNA at all. I'm not so involved in Rock Band that I'd post nearly 5000 messages to a forum about it.

If HMX didn't want to annoy, anger, and frustrate their PS3 users, they could have handled this much better.
    Based on the level of angst in that post...no your not...or your just looking for something to complain about, or you simply can't accept the fact that the PS3 currently doesn't have to tools to support RBN.

But, to answer you question, and hopefully put this to bed (doubtful), read Shek's post above yours.
    edited March 2010
    Santa Claustrophobia;3545514 said:
    XNA didn't just pop up overnight. It was something MS had been planning for some time. Mainly it's a platform for people to develop their own games and possibly earn money. HMX simply took that idea and decided it was also and excellent way to expand their game by allowing bands that normally wouldn't have the opportunity to create and sell their own songs.

Maybe it's possible for SONY (and Nintendo) to create their own XNA-style service. But until that happens, RBN is the domain of the Xbox and only a certain selection of songs (determined by things like sales or band popularity or even if HMX just wants to do it) will be converted and submitted for PS3 and Wii.
    Oh XNA has been around for quite some time, it's not something that just came about because of RBN or right before.

The (sorta) funny part of all this is that Sony already sorta-kinda has developed a platform like this, for Little Big Planet. There's no payment or accounting system involved, but the development/testing/etc. part of it is quite similar. The armchair developer in me wants to say they could build off of that something that could be usable for RBN, but I'm sure if that were possible, they're going to have already thought of that and be working on it.
  • opfreakopfreak Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3545574 said:
    Oh XNA has been around for quite some time, it's not something that just came about because of RBN or right before.

The (sorta) funny part of all this is that Sony already sorta-kinda has developed a platform like this, for Little Big Planet. There's no payment or accounting system involved, but the development/testing/etc. part of it is quite similar. The armchair developer in me wants to say they could build off of that something that could be usable for RBN, but I'm sure if that were possible, they're going to have already thought of that and be working on it.
    If its possible for LBP, then if HMX is as smart as you claim they are they could have figured it out for the PS3. But based on their actions its obivous which users they value, and which they just want to milk
    edited March 2010
    opfreak;3545581 said:
    If its possible for LBP, then if HMX is as smart as you claim they are they could have figured it out for the PS3. But based on their actions its obivous which users they value, and which they just want to milk
    It's also quite obvious that you're not going to listen to anybody's reasonable explanations of why this is occurring, so why should we even bother trying? :p
    edited March 2010
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3545583 said:
    It's also quite obvious that you're not going to listen to anybody's reasonable explanations of why this is occurring, so why should we even bother trying? :p
    Sorry but your 'reasonable' is my BS.

In my book just a bunch of brownnosing.

Disagree if you want. Fact is PS3 owners are getting the short end of the stick. Everyone claiming different is ethier working for HMX or brainwashed.
    edited March 2010
    opfreak;3545593 said:
    Sorry but your 'reasonable' is my BS.

In my book just a bunch of brownnosing.

Disagree if you want. Fact is PS3 owners are getting the short end of the stick. Everyone claiming different is ethier working for HMX or brainwashed.
    I won't argue that the PS3 is getting the short end...but your pointing the blame at the wrong group.

You can stay mad at HMX all you want. I'll just sit here and laugh at you.
    edited March 2010
    Jixzer;3545614 said:
    I won't argue that the PS3 is getting the short end...but your pointing the blame at the wrong group.

You can stay mad at HMX all you want. I'll just sit here and laugh at you.
    should be laughing at yourself. Since RBN is a product of HMX not MS nor Sony. Yet RBN was developed for only one system: the 360.

Saying HMX did anything other then that is just spining the truth.
    edited March 2010
    opfreak;3545627 said:
    should be laughing at yourself. Since RBN is a product of HMX not MS nor Sony. Yet RBN was developed for only one system: the 360.

Saying HMX did anything other then that is just spining the truth.
    RBN was developed around XNA...a product and game development architecture by MS for amateur and fledgling developers to create and distribute XBL Arcade games. XNA was around before the RBN was ever in development (presumably). It encompasses the entire process: development, financing, DRM, distribution, etc. Sony has no such architecture.....period. Without XNA, there is no RBN.

It's like Gears of War without the Unreal engine.
    It's like God of War without the Ready at Dawn engine.
    It's like a software CD without a computer.
    It's like a house with no frame.

There's a lot more to it than just "HMX hates the PS3".

There's a lot more behind this than you seem willing to accept. I was just gonna call you ignorant, which believe it or not, isn't as insulting as it sounds. There's nothing wrong with not knowing as long as you look for the truth and accept it once it's provided.

Your issue isn't ignorance....I'll just leave it at that.

/stilllaughingatyou
    edited March 2010
    Jixzer;3545680 said:
    RBN was developed around XNA...a product and game development architecture by MS for amateur and fledgling developers to create and distribute XBL Arcade games. XNA was around before the RBN was ever in development (presumably). It encompasses the entire process: development, financing, DRM, distribution, etc. Sony has no such architecture.....period. Without XNA, there is no RBN.

It's like Gears of War without the Unreal engine.
    It's like God of War without the Ready at Dawn engine.
    It's like a software CD without a computer.
    It's like a house with no frame.

There's a lot more to it than just "HMX hates the PS3".

There's a lot more behind this than you seem willing to accept. I was just gonna call you ignorant, which believe it or not, isn't as insulting as it sounds. There's nothing wrong with not knowing as long as you look for the truth and accept it once it's provided.

Your issue isn't ignorance....I'll just leave it at that.

/stilllaughingatyou
    Without consumers there is no HMX.

I understand it, HMX choose not to develop a soultion for the PS3. The only people that dont seem to understand that concept are those defending HMX.

If HMX wanted to, and cared enough, they would have done it.

Everything you list is just an excuse. Like a whiny kid, 'mommy thats hard, I dont want to work, waa waa waa'.

dont have a an egine build it. (werent any 'band' games before RB)
    dont have an engine build it.
    dont have a frame build it.

again, if they wanted the same or similar experance for the ps3 they could have worked something out. They didn't, and it shows.
    edited March 2010
    opfreak;3545732 said:
    Without consumers there is no HMX.

I understand it, HMX choose not to develop a soultion for the PS3. The only people that dont seem to understand that concept are those defending HMX.

If HMX wanted to, and cared enough, they would have done it.

Everything you list is just an excuse. Like a whiny kid, 'mommy thats hard, I dont want to work, waa waa waa'.

dont have a an egine build it. (werent any 'band' games before RB)
    dont have an engine build it.
    dont have a frame build it.

again, if they wanted the same or similar experance for the ps3 they could have worked something out. They didn't, and it shows.
    Yes, because creating an entire game development/financing/distribution engine from scratch without support from the console developers is so quick and easy. And besides, who's to say it isn't in development?

But I'll tell you what sparky...I'll just call HMX and have them rub the Programmer's Magic Lamp and wish for all HMX employees to get scripting-dysentery so that thousands of man-hours worth of code start leaking from their bottoms and migrate it's way to the PS3 servers. That should solve all your problems.
    edited March 2010
    Jixzer, when the other person in the argument refuses to do more than 'LALALA I CAN"T HEAR YOU!', it really is best to walk away and let them wallow in their pissy ignorance.

Let him 'win'. Entitlement has to count for something.
  • gumonleggumonleg Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Jixzer;3545750 said:
    Yes, because creating an entire game development/financing/distribution engine from scratch without support from the console developers is so quick and easy. And besides, who's to say it isn't in development?

But I'll tell you what sparky...I'll just call HMX and have them rub the Programmer's Magic Lamp and wish for all HMX employees to get scripting-dysentery so that thousands of man-hours worth of code start leaking from their bottoms and migrate it's way to the PS3 servers. That should solve all your problems.
    If square enix halts the release of an a list game like FF 13 just so both systems can have it on release the HMX could have done it. They didnt.
    edited March 2010
    gumonleg;3545813 said:
    If square enix halts the release of an a list game like FF 13 just so both systems can have it on release the HMX could have done it. They didnt.
    Not even close to the same thing dude.

Santa: You're right. It's gonna take a diamond cutter to get through the skulls of some of these people. Unfortunately, I left mine in my other pants.

From this point on, they can wallow in their pool of ignorance and denial all they want. I'm gonna go download some songs.
This discussion has been closed.