I don't mean to be cheap, ....but

SomethingWithPeachesSomethingWithPeaches Opening Act
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Are there ever going to be 0MSP songs on RBN like regular DLC?

Not that I find 80MSP or 160MSP a huge price, but I get MSP cards about once or twice a year, so I usually find the free songs a joy.

*see question at top*

I'm thinking about donating plasma to buy more MSP. Because of RBN.

Comments

• Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    Nope, no free songs on RBN
  • SomethingWithPeachesSomethingWithPeaches Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Was that one of the decisions by HMX, or is it the bands/labels/producers?
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    HMX (and MS prob)
  • G_tarRoCK3RG_tarRoCK3R Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Why only buy MSP ONCE a year?? Do you buy like only one card? $20 or $50???
    edited March 2010
    Actually, I used to buy a few $20 and a couple of $50 now and then, but with no job and income only consisting of birthdays and christmas, I have to spend wisely!
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    Authors and bands do not have the ability to choose 0 MSP as a price for RBN songs. 80, 160, and 240 are the only options.

0 probably isn't an option because there's a whole bunch of people besides the band that need to get paid when content is sold - like MS for hosting the content on their servers and using bandwidth for downloads, for example.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3547257 said:
    probably isn't an option because there's a whole bunch of people besides the band that need to get paid when content is sold - like MS for hosting the content on their servers and using bandwidth for downloads, for example.
    Isn't that why we pay $100 annually for XNA?
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3547297 said:
    Probably because HMX needs some compensation, too! They don't get a cut of the XNA membership, after all.

As @davidshek and I had agreed in another thread, we'd love for our bands' stuff to be available for free, just to get it in as many hands and ears as possible, but 80 msp is the absolute minimum we could make it.

One could argue that HMX's cut of all the big bands who decide to charge could pay for all of us who would give it away, but what can ya do, eh?

- m
    edited March 2010
    I guess 80 MSP isn't too bad. I do usually buy every track I can that IS $1 (and most are pretty enjoyable); but with 20 MSP, my options leave me hanging.
  • TheCoolGuyTheCoolGuy Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Think of it this way: RBN isn't primarily an outlet for musicians to post their own music. Think of it as an alternate way Harmonix can earn money; musicians happily chart their own songs and upload them to RBN, Harmonix gets a good chunk of the sales, musicians become a bit more famous and earn some money, everyone's happy. If songs are free, this would prove to be of absolutely no benefit to Harmonix.

But $1 isn't much. Don't buy what you don't like is all.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Casto21;3547122 said:
    HMX (and MS prob)
    It makes sense. It's costing money for HMX to provide the RBN service...if people give away songs there's no way for HMX to recoup that cost.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited March 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3547297 said:
    I assumed a big part of that is to make sure people are serious about this and discourage people from signing up just to play crappy Nintendo customs.
  • TroodonTroodon Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    SomethingWithPeaches;3547112 said:
    Are there ever going to be 0MSP songs on RBN like regular DLC?

Not that I find 80MSP or 160MSP a huge price, but I get MSP cards about once or twice a year, so I usually find the free songs a joy.

*see question at top*

I'm thinking about donating plasma to buy more MSP. Because of RBN.
    Er, nope.

Free songs in regular DLC are rare too for that matter. So far all there's been (as far as I know), not counting the 20 free song bonus pack, are Charlene, Still Alive, Promised Land, and Headphones On.
  • PaperMario21PaperMario21 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Troodon;3547604 said:
    Er, nope.

Free songs in regular DLC are rare too for that matter. So far all there's been (as far as I know), not counting the 20 free song bonus pack, are Charlene, Still Alive, Promised Land, and Headphones On.
    you're missing one, bud ;)
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    PaperMario21;3547618 said:
    you're missing one, bud ;)
    'CAUSE IM DREAMING OF LOOOVEEEEEEEEEEE
    where did you GOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • ogrynogryn Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Maybe allowing a free option for some songs would devalue the songs that people wish to be paid for?

It's a level(er) playing field how it is at the moment.