This is how "demo mode" should work

bmnbmn Unsigned
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Tried some of the songs in Rockband Network. The demo mode is a great idea, but just playing the first 30 seconds or minute of a song, I'm not sure how long it is, is very unsatisfying. I don't know what the rest of the song looks like! (thank god for youtube, and screw all the music companies that block the RB videos that I rely on to evaluate DLC!)
What they should do, is allow the whole song to be downloaded, but when you go to demo mode, it allows you to only play 30 second-1 minute sections of it. You pick the section, like in practice mode. That way you can see what the whole song looks like, but it is still crippled enough that if you really like it you'll buy it so that you can play the whole thing through uninterrupted.
And don't break the sections up into "boring repetitive part/crazy drum solo part." Have the sections mix it up so that we can try the transitions and get a better feel for the song, 30 seconds at a time.

Comments

• BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I think the demo system is fine the way it is.

But, if they do want to implement a "see the whole song" kind of thing, what they could do is make it so that you can download a video teaser of the song that shows the whole song on each instrument. It would be just as effective as looking it up on YT, but would be more convenient since you could download both the 1 min demo and the video from the store at the same time.
  • bmnbmn Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    DanteSparda504;3547155 said:
    No
    Yes.

Just playing the first minute of some songs would give you absolutely no clue as to what the song is like. Being able to try the whole song, parts at a time would be much better. (check the first couple minutes of Good Mourning/Black Friday on drums versus the rest of the insanity that follows as an example.)

I like the Balllistic's idea of actually letting you dl a video of the charts, a la youtube. Anything that lets you see the whole song, or let you try a part of it, and have to pick it from the menu again to try another part (to cripple it effectively) would be good.
  • MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    bmn;3547185 said:
    Yes.

Just playing the first minute of some songs would give you absolutely no clue as to what the song is like. Being able to try the whole song, parts at a time would be much better. (check the first couple minutes of Good Mourning/Black Friday on drums versus the rest of the insanity that follows as an example.)

I like the Balllistic's idea of actually letting you dl a video of the charts, a la youtube. Anything that lets you see the whole song, or let you try a part of it, and have to pick it from the menu again to try another part (to cripple it effectively) would be good.
    By your logic, they should increase the audio previews of the DLC to the entire song, and demos of games like Left 4 Dead 2 or arcade games should be the entire game, but allow the players to select which levels they play. Thing is, what's stopping someone from playing level one, quitting, then reentering and playing the next level, thus totally defeating the purpose of having to buy the game?

It's fine the way it is. Leave it alone.
  • jimburyjimbury Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    the fact you're getting a demo at all is a nod toward the obscurity of most of these tunes, but that notwithstanding its more than you'd get on the regular dlc for this or any other platform.

are you not a little guilty of counting your gift horse's teeth?
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    just another person wanting to play whole songs for free
    nothing new here, i expect to see alot of these posts this coming month
  • Tego1inTego1in Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I rather have a single playthrough on 1 instrument, 1 difficulty.
    But it has its shortcomings (fail=no more demo)
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    I think the demo mode is pretty reasonable as it is, although I wish they counted the 30 seconds starting from the first note on whatever instrument you're playing, instead of the start of the song
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    The free demos are the first minute or 35% of the song, whichever comes first. Not 30 seconds.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    My bad. In any case, "I wish they counted the first minute/35% starting from the first note on whatever instrument you're playing, instead of the start of the song" :)
  • nk40699nk40699 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Mikachu;3547196 said:
    By your logic, they should increase the audio previews of the DLC to the entire song, and demos of games like Left 4 Dead 2 or arcade games should be the entire game, but allow the players to select which levels they play. Thing is, what's stopping someone from playing level one, quitting, then reentering and playing the next level, thus totally defeating the purpose of having to buy the game?

The audio previews should be the entire song. I'm so sick of liking one part of a sh*tty song. I dont see why I cant know that song that i'm buying.
  • bmnbmn Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Mikachu;3547196 said:

Right, because it would be so much fun to play 1 minute of a song, go back to the menu, then play another minute after that, back to the menu, another minute, etc.
    "just another person wanting to play whole songs for free"
    Learn to read.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    I think the demo system is tied more to the XNA than the RBN. Because if you download a trial version of an XBLM Indie Game it's almost the exact same thing.
  • DrihscolDrihscol Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    bmn;3547311 said:
    Right, because it would be so much fun to play 1 minute of a song, go back to the menu, then play another minute after that, back to the menu, another minute, etc.

Learn to read.
    we can read. and what we are reading about is someone who isn't happy with something like rock band network because you have to pay money.
    deny it all you like, it wont stop it from being true.
    well what about me? i dont even have rbn, because im foreign. i also have to pay about twice the money you have to for all my video game products. that includes all consoles, accessory's, games, points, and not just video game products! anything that you have to download too! like, itunes!
    and yet i dont complain.
    so stop whining like a little ***** and enjoy your RBN.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I think the charter should be able to pick the demo point because certain parts of a song might make the buyer like a song better. For example if there's a 3 minute intro the charter should be able to pick the point to be at the beginning of the first verse if they want to.
  • adamlathromadamlathrom Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    bmn;3547311 said:

Learn to read.
    Hmmm.....Are you complaining because you get 1 minute of a song for free. Atleast you get to play it...if nothing else just youtube the mofo!
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    nk40699;3547302 said:
    The audio previews should be the entire song. I'm so sick of liking one part of a sh*tty song. I dont see why I cant know that song that i'm buying.
    Welcome to the nature of any media -- games, movies, even musical albums. The fact that there's any demo at all is pretty awesome, but even beyond that, how many games have you played an awesome demo of/movies you watched the preview of, or albums you heard one great song from, only to find out that the rest doesn't live up to what you experienced already? (for most people I know, this answer would be a lot); you also have resources like Youtube to verify if needed. If you don't know the song and are afraid of getting burned, utilize what's available elsewhere as backup.
  • bmnbmn Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Drihscol;3547534 said:
    we can read. and what we are reading about is someone who isn't happy with something like rock band network because you have to pay money.
    deny it all you like, it wont stop it from being true.
    well what about me? i dont even have rbn, because im foreign. i also have to pay about twice the money you have to for all my video game products. that includes all consoles, accessory's, games, points, and not just video game products! anything that you have to download too! like, itunes!
    and yet i dont complain.
    so stop whining like a little ***** and enjoy your RBN.
    Again, learn to read. If you don't know what I mean by that (and maybe because english isn't your first language, since you did say you're foreign), I'm advocating for a BETTER demo system. I've personally bought hundreds of dollars worth of DLC, so it's not about wanting to play for "free". Idiot.
  • bmnbmn Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    adamlathrom;3547567 said:
    Hmmm.....Are you complaining because you get 1 minute of a song for free. Atleast you get to play it...if nothing else just youtube the mofo!
    Well, this is the point. We shouldn't HAVE to go to 3rd parties like youtube, which are constantly getting RB videos pulled down. If they had a video of the charts available in-game, just like watching it on youtube, that would be the best way to evaluate a song. That's how most people do it now with youtube, so Harmonix should cut out the unreliable 3rd party way that people are doing it and come up with their own solution that lets people like us who spend our money on DLC make better informed decisions.
  • packerfan8675309packerfan8675309 Bladder of Steal
    edited March 2010
    yeah I would like to see a system where you got just one full playthrough but I completely understand why they would not implement something like that.
  • taylorleetaylorlee Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I think that the creators should choose a "demo start/end point" in their song while authoring them (sticking with the current time restrictions, of course).

That way, they can showcase what they wish to, or what they think people would enjoy playing or listening to, instead of long keyboard intros or something similar.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I think that would be too annoying that I wouldn't care. Personally, the demo length as it is works fine. I can get a feel of if I completely hate the song, am indifferent, love it, etc even from that short moment. If I am enjoying the song enough that I get frustrated that it stops, from there I tend to either buy the whole song, look for a video chart on YouTube, or look for a way to at least hear the song itself somewhere.

I am a person who is indifferent to difficulty though. I buy songs that are super easy and super hard and in between. I just buy based on if I like the song or not and if it's fun to play or not.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I am not sure I agree with the "start anywhere" idea, but I do tend to agree that the demo should at least start when the chosen instrument starts and not just the beginning of the song. Particularly for vocals. Maybe allow the charter to select start points for each instrument?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    King_Nuthin;3550160 said:
    I am not sure I agree with the "start anywhere" idea, but I do tend to agree that the demo should at least start when the chosen instrument starts and not just the beginning of the song. Particularly for vocals. Maybe allow the charter to select start points for each instrument?
    yeah, either of those would fix the only real flaw i see in the current system.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    nk40699;3547302 said:
    I'm pretty sure that would be legally impossible, as then it would allow you to play the preview and thus hear the song in its entirety for free.
  • buster42buster42 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I just wish it was 1 minute instead of 30 seconds. Goth Girls doesn't really get into the guitar part until right as the demo cuts off.

I also wish the Buy Now was a little better implemented, since you have to get kicked back to the main menu, but I understand why that is.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    buster42;3550299 said:
    I just wish it was 1 minute instead of 30 seconds. Goth Girls doesn't really get into the guitar part until right as the demo cuts off.
    Please read the comments earlier in the thread. The demo IS 1 minute, unless the song is shorter than 2 minutes, 51 seconds, in which case it will be the first 35% of the song's length.
  • BonE74MeBonE74Me Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I think there are some tweaks that can probably be implemented to improve the demo system (e.g. a previous suggestion to not start at the beginning of a song is a good one), but the overall purpose of this awesome new feature is to give you a heads up on the look and feel of the track - not what the entire track is like.

I mean, most of the tracks are already .99c - does one really need to be that fastidious in his or her song selection at those reduced prices? It's like bringing coupons to Aldis.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited March 2010
    This is how it should work. We should get the full song, then the xbox should print out a coupon for a free MP3 of the song too. And all access backstage passes to thier next show.
  • buster42buster42 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3550349 said:
    Please read the comments earlier in the thread. The demo IS 1 minute, unless the song is shorter than 2 minutes, 51 seconds, in which case it will be the first 35% of the song's length.
    Sorry, I'm lazy. :(

It doesn't really feel like a minute, though. Maybe it's just because the demo cutoff happens on Goth Girls right as the guitar starts picking up.