Do you intend to switch system to 360 because of RBN?

PaperMario21PaperMario21 Road Warrior
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
So with 360 being the only system with entire RBN library, and ps3 & wii having only selected tracks, do you consider switching to 360 as your platform of choice for RB?

Comments

• overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    Luckily I chose 360 but that really stinks for you guys. Maybe if a whole bunch of people message Nintendo and Sony about it the will at least consider making something like XNA
  • GodKilla666GodKilla666 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    hecks no! between 2 warbeasts, an ION, & over 400 DLC songs, I have enough invested already. So far there are only a couple RBN songs I want. I'm satisfied with the "select" songs we'll get from RBN
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Not worth considering due to it not just being the console but also all the hardware, then the software and then the all the purchased DLC. Far too expensive to attempt a console switch this late in the game.

So it is a case of sit back and see how HMX will handle the transfer of songs over to PS3 (and Wii?) from RBN.
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Lord no. I love my PS3 and the system exclusive games for PS3 are more up my alley than the 360 exclusive games (e.g. Uncharted, God of War).

Besides, I'm not ready to commit Rock Band Hari-Kari before seeing what "selected" tracks PS3 and Wii users get. PS3 users are used to waiting since Rock Band 2, so, it comes with the territory.
  • Kenny-BandKenny-Band Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    No, but if RB3 drops the Wii, then I'll have a camel with a broken back on my hands.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    If somebody cares enough about the RBN, they would likely already be purchasing DLC for RB as it is. And it would be hard to justify flipping consoles when you'd have to rebuy (or simply not buy) the old content.
  • BaindreadBaindread Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Already done.
    Using my PS3 for dlc and my Xbox for RBN from now on.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I think it's a bit early to ask questions like this. I think we should first see how much "select songs" is - it could be most of them, you never know.
  • robby_noodlesrobby_noodles Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    there is no reason they can't have all the songs for PS3
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited March 2010
    robby_noodles;3548139 said:
    there is no reason they can't have all the songs for PS3
    Actually, there is, a few of them.

1. HMX has to recode every song moved to make it compatible with the PS3. That's a lot of songs and a lot of hours...which costs money.

2. Speaking of money, I'm sure the QA and approval process to get the songs on the PSN Store isn't free. More money.

3. Though the specifics of which song will make it over hasn't been released, it's safe to say that the songs not doing well on the 360 will likely not come across. The 360 fan base is larger than the PS3's (I'm guessing really, but I'm pretty confident) but I'm sure the what sells well as far as regular DLC goes is pretty similar on both sides comparatively, so it isn't likely that HMX would risk spending the time and money to transfer something over that might not give a positive return. I'll admit, this one is pure speculation on my part.

4. Ok, so there's really only one reason...explained 3 ways. :)
  • ZmsZms Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Jixzer;3548171 said:
    4. Typing number 3, I forgot was 4 was going to be...reserving in case I have a lapse in my Alzheimers. ;)
    4. Tons of administrative stuff, like managing payouts.
  • Jaden-SanJaden-San Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    If "Even Rats" doesn't make the cut.... heads will roll.... THIS I vow...
  • drumshroomdrumshroom Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    na...dont care for the rrod that comes with the switch to xbox :p

seriously though, out of all of the rbn releases up to this point, there is only 1 song i would even want. until they expand rbn to the genres i like to play, i have no reason to even consider the switch
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Switching consoles just for RBN is kinda ridiculous to me. If I was on PS3, I wouldn't switch. Just looking at how much investment I have into 360, it would cost way too much to be on anything else. Yeah, the stuff on RBN is pretty awesome, but at least some of the songs will end up going to PS3.
  • PaperMario21PaperMario21 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3548424 said:
    Switching consoles just for RBN is kinda ridiculous to me. If I was on PS3, I wouldn't switch. Just looking at how much investment I have into 360, it would cost way too much to be on anything else. Yeah, the stuff on RBN is pretty awesome, but at least some of the songs will end up going to PS3.
    so far ps3/wii owners could complain about minor things when it came to rb on their platform of choice(slight delay in release schedule omitted), but with RBN library...
    I don't know...there are so many great songs that rivals regular dlc that I would be tempted if I was missing 30% or more of the content, I bought almost all of the songs rbn stuff as of now and about 85% is great/awesome, with 15% remaining as only good/very good (keep in mind I can appreciate music on various levels).
    I guess it all comes down to how much you're open to new music(I've never heard about 95% of the tracks I bought) and how much you're prepared to spend in the long run.
    either way, I feel kinda sad for ps3/wii rb owners...
    edited March 2010
    PaperMario21;3548672 said:
    so far ps3/wii owners could complain about minor things when it came to rb on their platform of choice(slight delay in release schedule omitted), but with RBN library...
    I don't know...there are so many great songs that rivals regular dlc that I would be tempted if I was missing 30% or more of the content, I bought almost all of the songs rbn stuff as of now and about 85% is great/awesome, with 15% remaining as only good/very good (keep in mind I can appreciate music on various levels).
    I guess it all comes down to how much you're open to new music(I've never heard about 95% of the tracks I bought) and how much you're prepared to spend in the long run.
    either way, I feel kinda sad for ps3/wii rb owners...
    I do in a way too but, again, anyone seriously interested in RBN probably has a huge investment in Rock Band already. I can kinda sorta see Wii owners switching, because they've got more downsides to Rock Band on their console, but PS3 owners? Ehh, if I was on PS3 I wouldn't switch.

That said though, I probably would've switched from PS3 to 360 before I got too invested. The shaky arrow thing for PS3 vocals annoys the hell out of me. I encounter that every time I play over at my neighbor's house since he's a PS3 player.
  • BaindreadBaindread Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3548424 said:
    Just looking at how much investment I have into 360, it would cost way too much to be on anything else.
    Well, not really. Well, it would, if you'd insist on being able to use all your dlc with the same disc but if you are content with using one disc for dlc and the other for RBN, it don't cost that much more.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Jixzer;3548171 said:
    1. HMX has to recode every song moved to make it compatible with the PS3. That's a lot of songs and a lot of hours...which costs money.
    This should not even be a point. The tracks+charts will be stored in a file format which is portable to prevent duplication of work. Or do you really think that someone at HMX makes a file just for 360, then someone else makes it just for PS3 and then another makes a file for Wii? No company works like that. It would be like having different MP3 files for each manufacturers MP3 player. Crazy talk!

Even if the formats were slightly different (which would be a really dumb thing for any programmer to do!), then it would be fairly easy to build an application to parse the original file and output to a slightly different format, i.e. look at picture converters.

The fact is, the only thing holding back a true 1:1 RBN Store on the PS3 is the way that Sony control digital content for the system.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3548424 said:
    It's an "escalation of commitment" issue for me. Having over 1,000 songs on my RB game now on PS3, plus all of my instruments... just isn't going to happen.

Considered making the switch before, but stuck with the PS3 largely due to acoustic reasons. To wit, the volume of my 360 is simply too high, even when having games installed, to seriously consider playing a music game on it. (That being said, I've been lucky that my shaky arrow problems have largely gone away with a new mic and a different PS3... that would otherwise upset me, even if I don't sing as much anymore.)
    Blasteroids;3550364 said:
    The fact is, the only thing holding back a true 1:1 RBN Store on the PS3 is the way that Sony control digital content for the system.
    Actually, I'd say the biggest issue is legal, in terms of getting straightened out with who gets paid what for what content. The XNA Creator's Club makes that pretty simple. Overall, though, I don't see it being much of a hassle for most of the bands that people really want to see on RBN, as the bigger names are the ones more likely to have professional representation deal with those matters.
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    No way, Not charted or mixed by HMX really lowers it for me. Sticking to PS3 here.
  • mysticnejimysticneji Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Absolutely not! I'll be happy with the select tracks we get on the PS3. Never wanted an X-Box 360 and this does not change my mind at all.
  • jasonrosenbaumjasonrosenbaum Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I'm not going to lie. I've actually thought about switching because of RBN. But I guess I'll wait to see what HMX does. I've spent way too much money on content for the PS3 to really justify the switch. But I may end up doing it anyway, because I'm insane.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    Nope. I bought the PS3 as a high def movie player as much as a game system. The games I wanted were from Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Insomniac and Harmonix. The high def movie option was won by the Blu-ray consortium so there's nothing for me on X-Box. (Although you can get the HDDVD add on and a couple dozen movie for about a hundred dollars at a pawn shop.) There has been nothing I had to have on X-Box yet. So far, I'm pretty confident all I'll be missing out on is songs I don't know or don't care for, and a 30 plus day delay in getting the ones I want. That is not worth the cost of a new console.
  • Doggr_JonesDoggr_Jones Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    No, it won't make me switch because I already have all the current DLC, two guitars and ions and I don't want to repurchase all that stuff. However, as of a few weeks ago I stopped buying DLC and probably won't buy anymore until I see what the whole "Select tracks" business is about. If it's just one or two songs a week, and none of the ones I want to play then I'll probably be done buying anything from HMX. Having been a loyal RB user since the beginning, and having bought everything up until a few weeks ago not being able to play songs I want to play because they aren't porting them over will just kill my interest in giving HMX anymore of my money.

So yea, won't switch but might get me to stop buying DLC completely.
  • &lt;?&gt;x_IQ_x<?>x_IQ_x Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Doggr_Jones;3550854 said:
    I stopped buying DLC and probably won't buy anymore until I see what the whole "Select tracks" business is about. If it's just one or two songs a week, and none of the ones I want to play then I'll probably be done buying anything from HMX. Having been a loyal RB user since the beginning, and having bought everything up until a few weeks ago not being able to play songs I want to play because they aren't porting them over will just kill my interest in giving HMX anymore of my money.

So yea, won't switch but might get me to stop buying DLC completely.
    Totally agree with you. With no announcement about what's going to happen with Beatles DLC, and then to be told we only get "select" tracks from the RBN. I think I'm done as well. Excuses are excuses. We all know that MS bought and paid for this experiment called the RBN. Until we hear the EXACT explanation (from a HMX Rep) why the PS3 won't get all the tracks, all other reasons are opinions (not validated facts).
    edited March 2010
    x_IQ_x;3551197">
    <?>x_IQ_x;3551197 said:
    Totally agree with you. With no announcement about what's going to happen with Beatles DLC, and then to be told we only get "select" tracks from the RBN. I think I'm done as well. Excuses are excuses. We all know that MS bought and paid for this experiment called the RBN. Until we hear the EXACT explanation (from a HMX Rep) why the PS3 won't get all the tracks, all other reasons are opinions (not validated facts).
    Honestly, I don't know if that's actually true. I'm pretty sure the reason for the exclusivity is the fact this is all being developed via XNA. HMX probably chose to use XNA for RBN because it's pretty easy to code for and it wouldn't be terribly difficult for musicians to put their own songs in Rock Band this way.

XNA is not supported on PS3 (or Wii), so HMX would likely have to convert songs over as sorta normal DLC releases. And Microsoft set XNA developed things to have an exclusivity of 30 days. Thus the wait and probably why PS3 won't get all tracks (though I'm sure HMX will give most of the really good ones).
  • rdm99rdm99 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I switched to 360 shortly after RBN was announced. At the time I had 350+ DLC, 2 guitars, an Ion Drumset, and RB1, RB2, and RB AC/DC, all for the PS3. I picked up an RB2 bundle when they went to $99, got a Gretsch for my second guitar when Beatles came out, and bought a 360 Ion brain on Ebay for $60. I'd say to this point I've rebought about 3/4ths of the DLC I had on PS3, most of what I haven't bought was stuff I never should have bought in the first place.

I wouldn't really say I switched for RBN, but it was, in essence, the last straw, with the RB2 delay, and PS3 Ion delay being my major gripes prior. I bought a current gen console solely because of Rock Band. I didn't even own another game for over a year. I switched to 360 because in my eyes it was the superior platform for playing the game I love more than almost anything. If there is going to be a game released earlier, a peripheral that is only released for one system, or a song that is only available on one system, it's pretty obvious it's going to be on the 360.
  • Doggr_JonesDoggr_Jones Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I understand why everything is 30 days because of XNA, and why the creating songs portion cannot be done on the PS3. What pisses me off is that they aren't porting everything over. No amount of "It's too much work" etc is going to change the fact that if the songs I want don't end up getting ported over I'm done with Harmonix. It's pretty simple, if they don't give me the product I want I don't want to give them any of my money.
  • SearchSearch Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    x_IQ_x;3551197">
    <?>x_IQ_x;3551197 said:
    HMXHenry;3541774 said:
    I can definitely understand the frustration. I'm sure you can imagine that we'd love to be able to make these songs available in as many places as we can. Trust that we're doing everything from our end to make it a reality, but there's still a lot that needs to be done on the first party side to pull it off.
    As far as how much RBN material will make it over to the PS3 I honestly don't know what to expect either. There's a lot of variables (number of songs, sales, artist agreements, dev time) but we'll keep you posted as things develop.
    HMXHenry;3541706 said:
    As we've mentioned before, it's not as easy as dragging and dropping songs from one system to another. Since the XNA frame work is already in place on the 360 we're able to do crazy stuff like release 105 songs in a day. That quantity of tracks could take weeks to submit to other platforms, get approved, get pushed into the store, etc. And that's in addition to all the regular DLC coming out, and the RBN stuff coming out on a daily basis. It's just not a possibility at this point, but if we see a similar structure on the PS3 and Wii in the future then that's a different story.
    I'm here to help.
  • elmokajakyelmokajaky Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    All I know is that as a loyal RB player on the PS3 who owns all the Harmonix games and a ton of DLC, and who has drummed on RB daily since the beginning, I'm watching the PS3 RBN issue very closely. There are already songs I want to buy, and that's only going to increase.

Harmonix, please do right by us loyal PS3 Rock Band players!