Looking for some awesome female fronted songs?

PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
There was a severe lack of awesome female fronted rock songs in Rock Band for a long time, because I'm a sucker for beautiful female voices like e.g. Yeah Yeah Yeah's Karen O's, and RBN fills this gap now:

Let's recommend some awesome RBN releases which deserve some love:

Rose of Jericho "Buried Cold":
Very cool power ballad, sounds like a mixture of Evanescence & that amazing Six Feet Under song by Sia ("Breathe Me").
Awesome on drums, too.

Pollyn "Gave It Up":
Similar to Maps by YYYs, but with a less complex beat. Very laid-back tune, awesome for a trippy mood at the late night :D

Steve and Lindley Band "Backyard Buildyard":
That Steve in the band name might be pretty misleading, but if you like unique indie rock, then don't miss out on this one.

All of those are up in the RBN store for only 80 MSP :eek:

Got more recommendations? Me likey.

Comments

• kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    I enjoyed the Stephanie Hatfield song when I playtested it
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    The 2 Amberian dawn songs have some of the vocal parts in the game - really beautiful. Normally I don't like metal, but these are great for everyone. Highly reccommended.

The 2 Glass Hammer songs are great for anyone who likes female vocals and prog. Sleep On is the more fun to play on guitar, but Hyperbole is a great song none the less, and it's 7.5 minutes long.
  • recharge138recharge138 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Abnormality
    Alanis Morissette
    Amberian Dawn
    Belly
    Blondie
    Evanescence
    Flyleaf
    Freezepop
    Garbage
    GLaDOS
    Hole
    Janis Joplin
    Joan Jett
    Katrina and the Waves
    Kelly Clarkson
    Kristin Hersh
    KT Tunstall
    L7
    Lacuna Coil
    Libyans
    Lucinda Williams
    Luscious Jackson
    Lush
    Martina McBride
    Miranda Cosgrove
    No Doubt
    P!nk
    Paramore
    Pat Benatar
    Pixies
    Pretenders
    Sara Evans
    Shania Twain
    Siouxsie and The Banshees
    The B-52's
    The Donnas
    The Muffs
    The Runaways
    VAGIANT
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    The Bangles
    Blondie
    Bikini Kill
    Go-Go's

Maybe you're definition of "awesome" is different from mine, but I see a ton of awesome female fronted stuff there (and I'm sure I missed a bunch). Severe lack seems a bit of an exaggeration.

That said, nothing wrong with more songs for the ladies to sing. I'd love some classic female R n B.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Also, the Lacuna Coil song "Survive" is awesome, and highly reccommended.
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited March 2010
    You forgot Wounded Soul - Rx........one of my favorites
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    There are plenty of female artists, just not enough content from each of them. For every No Doubt with an entire pack, theres's three bands like the Distillers, who only have a single (kinda meh) song up.

I'm not blaming HMX for that, because they can take what they get, it would just be nice if the artists we've got so far were a little widened out. Like a Siouxsie and the Banshees pack with Spellbound!
  • jimburyjimbury Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    monkeyfish;3548206 said:
    Like a Siouxsie and the Banshees pack with Spellbound!
    that would make me very happy indeed, spellbound is one of the greatest tunes ever made.
  • recharge138recharge138 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    broncosfan06;3548097 said:
    You forgot Wounded Soul - Rx........one of my favorites
    I was going to buy it regardless cause of David and his wonderful work in the community. It happens to be my favorite "unknown" RBN song I've gotten. Shame on me for forgetting it!
  • Nitz13Nitz13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3547870 said:
    I enjoyed the Stephanie Hatfield song when I playtested it
    This one is my favourite so far. Also The Kimberly Trip "California" is great too.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Another one nobody mentioned here yet - In This Moment's Mechanical Love. I personally like it better than Lacuna Coil's Survive.

Amberian Dawn still takes the cake of most impressive female vocals though.
  • PeterGriffenPeterGriffen Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3548391 said:
    Another one nobody mentioned here yet - In This Moment's Mechanical Love. I personally like it better than Lacuna Coil's Survive.

Amberian Dawn still takes the cake of most impressive female vocals though.
    The In This Moment song Mechanical Love is by far my favorite release so far. I have previewed/demo'd all songs to date. This one is very cool.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited March 2010
    recharge138;3548023 said:
    Abnormality
    Alanis Morissette
    Amberian Dawn
    Belly
    Blondie
    Evanescence
    Flyleaf
    Freezepop
    Garbage
    GLaDOS
    Hole
    Janis Joplin
    Joan Jett
    Katrina and the Waves
    Kelly Clarkson
    Kristin Hersh
    KT Tunstall
    L7
    Lacuna Coil
    Libyans
    Lucinda Williams
    Luscious Jackson
    Lush
    Martina McBride
    Miranda Cosgrove
    No Doubt
    P!nk
    Paramore
    Pat Benatar
    Pixies
    Pretenders
    Sara Evans
    Shania Twain
    Siouxsie and The Banshees
    The B-52's
    The Donnas
    The Muffs
    The Runaways
    VAGIANT
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    The Bangles
    Blondie
    Bikini Kill
    Go-Go's

Maybe you're definition of "awesome" is different from mine, but I see a ton of awesome female fronted stuff there (and I'm sure I missed a bunch). Severe lack seems a bit of an exaggeration.

That said, nothing wrong with more songs for the ladies to sing. I'd love some classic female R n B.
    You do realise that the tally of female fronted bands on the game makes up dont even make up a fifth of the total bands on the platform. That may not constitute severe to some but it will to others... im with the OP, RBN should bring us more awesome female fronted bands.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Skode;3548717 said:
    You do realise that the tally of female fronted bands on the game makes up dont even make up a fifth of the total bands on the platform.
    How about some basic statistical perspective...

Can you tell us the percentage of "name" bands in the world that are female-fronted?

Could be only one fifth in the realm of "rock" genres, so it's possibly an accurate and fair representation. HMX has certainly missed a lot of the good ones, but there's nothing that says bands are distributed equally 50/50 across leader-gender.

- m
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I download every female fronted song to demo. :cool:
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Another female-fronted I'd highly recommend from the RBN:

Bif Naked's "Sick." May be simple to play on instruments, but my god, it's a blast. Great song.
  • pksagepksage Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Despite being the author, I have to second The Kimberly Trip's "California". I've had the chance to hang out with the band, and Kimberlina (the vocalist) both has an amazing voice and is fun to hang out with.

In fact, if you like female-fronted pop, you should check out all of their songs, which you can listen to for free at that link. I recommend "Insignificant Other", "Not Quite Right in the Head", and "Supergloo".
  • BigZ7337BigZ7337 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    One that hasn't been mentioned and is probably one of my favorites (really fun on drums as well) is Alchemilla - Bleeder: http://www.rockband.com/songs/UGC_5001557

The band's also fronted by HMXKat.
  • Mister_DerpMister_Derp Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Mechanical Love is my favorite so far. There's been a few mentioned in this thread that I'm eager to check out as well. I really can't wait for all the Damone tracks to go live though.
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Amberian Dawn
    GlassHammer
    Lacuna Coil
    In This Moment
    Wounded Soul

those are my favs on RBN for now.
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Amberian Dawn
    GlassHammer
    Lacuna Coil
    In This Moment
    Wounded Soul

those are my favs on RBN for now.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Markleford;3548780 said:
    How about some basic statistical perspective...

Can you tell us the percentage of "name" bands in the world that are female-fronted?

Could be only one fifth in the realm of "rock" genres, so it's possibly an accurate and fair representation. HMX has certainly missed a lot of the good ones, but there's nothing that says bands are distributed equally 50/50 across leader-gender.

- m
    As you wish, i didnt do any of the work on this but Casto did... here is the link to his awesome and informative stats for the games "main" song releases to date... this does not cover any RBN songs or bands as of yet.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150303&highlight=Bands+Rock+Band+stats%21

According to his stats on i think it was the third post of the thread its clear that only 14% of all bands on the main platform are female fronted... a further 2% of the bands are dual fronted by female and male vocalists such as Lacuna Coil. This is clearly showing that not even one fifth of the bands in the game are female fronted, hence why RBN should be ideal in adding more for people to download and enjoy.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Skode;3550101 said:
    As you wish, i didnt do any of the work on this but Casto did... here is the link to his awesome and informative stats for the games "main" song releases to date... this does not cover any RBN songs or bands as of yet.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150303&highlight=Bands+Rock+Band+stats%21

According to his stats on i think it was the third post of the thread its clear that only 14% of all bands on the main platform are female fronted... a further 2% of the bands are dual fronted by female and male vocalists such as Lacuna Coil. This is clearly showing that not even one fifth of the bands in the game are female fronted, hence why RBN should be ideal in adding more for people to download and enjoy.
    I second that notion that female-fronted bands aren't even remotely getting their fair share in RB (or GH, for that matter). I can (and do, often) come up with a list a mile long of names of female artists (past and present; famous and not-so-much) conspicuously absent from these games.

That's why I say kudos to acts like Rose of Jericho, Bif Naked, Amberian Dawn, Cate Sparks, Stephanie Hatfield, Alchemilla and all the rest who've taken the initiative to join the Network. And here's hoping the RBN will attract even more female-fronted groups in the near future.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    Skode;3550101 said:

The new version does have RBN, it is here.

I am missing 4 bands I think but right now the breakdown for RBN is:

Male 56 75.7%
    Female 14 18.9%
    Both 4 5.4%
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Check out the band A City Serene http://www.myspace.com/acityserene
    I'm talking with their manager right now and working out all the details about the RBN. If all goes well, they should be on the RBN soon.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    If you like The Distillers or Vagiant (Tijuana Sweetheart) you gotta check out The Carsitters' "Push Me" for 80msp.

Awesome guitar solo right there. Seriously check it out. Now.