How do I go about getting a song on RBN?

overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Hello, I am hoping to put some of my band's songs onto the rock band network!

I don't know how to do that though... What are the requirements? (Like for recording and stuff)

The song will have all instruments (vocals, bass, drums, guitar)

I know some of you have a song in the RBN and it sounds great! How did you go about getting the song in?

Thank you!

Edit: Oh, I don't need to know about Reaper and everything, I am going to send it in to Rhythm Authors or something!

Just like, how do I get a good quality and the nice album art?

Comments

  • FreezeRokkFreezeRokk Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    So if I understand this correctly, you guys haven't recorded any of your songs yet?
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    No, as I'm not sure how we should record.

    But we do have the song that we want to put in completely finished and ready to record!

    Anyway, I completely forgot about searching these forums for a similar topic.

    I'm really sorry, there was another thread exactly like this that has lots of good information.

    One thing though, how do I do the album art stuff?

    Again, sorry about not thinking of searching before making the thread


    Edit: Well even though I messed up I still have a sort of important question.

    On the back of my amp I have 3 things to plug in,

    1. It says 'SEND'

    2. Says 'RTN'

    EFX / Line is written under those

    3. Ch. Select / Boost, and under the plug in thing it says Footswitch


    What are each of those for?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    overdriveguitarman;3549107 said:
    I'm really sorry, there was another thread exactly like this that has lots of good information.
    What you're looking for is here:
    http://creators.rockband.com/spec/Mix_and_MIDI_Setup

    The very first section on that page has all of the requirements for master stems.
    overdriveguitarman;3549107 said:
    One thing though, how do I do the album art stuff?
    Draw it & scan or use your favorite graphics program.
    overdriveguitarman;3549107 said:
    On the back of my amp I have 3 things to plug in,

    1. It says 'SEND'

    2. Says 'RTN'

    EFX / Line is written under those

    3. Ch. Select / Boost, and under the plug in thing it says Footswitch
    Well 1 & 2 are for your Effects Loop. You can put an FX processor or stomp boxes there, instead of directly in-line between your guitar and the Input on the front. 3 is for a footswitch to switch channels on the amp. Didn't it come with a manual? ;)
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    While I'm sure that there are knowledgeable people on this forum who can help you out to some extent, you may want to find a more general musician's forum for advice on recording and mixing your songs before worrying about RBN.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3549480 said:
    What you're looking for is here:
    http://creators.rockband.com/spec/Mix_and_MIDI_Setup

    The very first section on that page has all of the requirements for master stems.

    Draw it & scan or use your favorite graphics program.

    Well 1 & 2 are for your Effects Loop. You can put an FX processor or stomp boxes there, instead of directly in-line between your guitar and the Input on the front. 3 is for a footswitch to switch channels on the amp. Didn't it come with a manual? ;)
    Graphics program?

    Also, it didn't come with a manual! haha We actually bought it used from guitar center!
    LuigiHann;3549753 said:
    While I'm sure that there are knowledgeable people on this forum who can help you out to some extent, you may want to find a more general musician's forum for advice on recording and mixing your songs before worrying about RBN.
    Well I don't think anybody really cares much about our songs anyway unless they were on rock band network!
  • thirdmortalthirdmortal Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    For you it may be simpler to go to a studio and make a recording. Of course this is not the most inexpensive route, but it is easier than having to learn how to record at home.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    thirdmortal;3550612 said:
    For you it may be simpler to go to a studio and make a recording. Of course this is not the most inexpensive route, but it is easier than having to learn how to record at home.
    Well I need to learn how to anyway as when I move to Greece we most likely won't have access to any studios!

    I will consider it though
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    overdriveguitarman;3550583 said:
    Graphics program?

    Also, it didn't come with a manual! haha We actually bought it used from guitar center!
    If you were asking how to create album art, then yeah, graphics program. Photoshop, MS Paint, etc.

    And you can probably find the manual for your amp online. ;)
    overdriveguitarman;3550638 said:
    Well I need to learn how to anyway as when I move to Greece we most likely won't have access to any studios!
    Even Greece has recording studios, ya know. But while you're here, check the Musicians Community section of Craigslist. I know at least in my area, there's always a bunch of startup studios advertising stuff like, "Come record your 3-song demo with us for $100!" kinda deals.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3550762 said:

    But while you're here, check the Musicians Community section of Craigslist. I know at least in my area, there's always a bunch of startup studios advertising stuff like, "Come record your 3-song demo with us for $100!" kinda deals.
    just be EXTREMELY cautious of universities offering recording services from students.

    prior to my plunge into self-recording a band i was in went for one of those and ended up with quite possibly the worst recording experience (and product) you can imagine.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Actually though, digital recorders have become very inexpensive and easy to use: there's software available for most computers that allow multi-track recording with a very high level of quality. I'd recommend investing a few hundred (or less) in that, and learning the basics of recording before even setting foot in a studio. (Buy a man a fish, teach a man to fish, blah blah blah.)
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3550762 said:
    If you were asking how to create album art, then yeah, graphics program. Photoshop, MS Paint, etc.

    And you can probably find the manual for your amp online. ;)



    Even Greece has recording studios, ya know. But while you're here, check the Musicians Community section of Craigslist. I know at least in my area, there's always a bunch of startup studios advertising stuff like, "Come record your 3-song demo with us for $100!" kinda deals.
    Well I wasn't sure how a graphics program would work. Does it have selections for shapes and stuff and you make the symbol?

    Ah yes! *facepalm* lol I should have known! :o

    Well I'm not too sure, it's a fairly poor country, and it would be a lot easier if I just knew how to record myself!

    Those deals sound pretty awesome! I'll check soon! So they let you take as much time as you need for the 3 songs? And how will I know if it will be good quality?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3550772 said:
    just be EXTREMELY cautious of universities offering recording services from students.

    prior to my plunge into self-recording a band i was in went for one of those and ended up with quite possibly the worst recording experience (and product) you can imagine.
    Huh, haven't seen the university-student thing myself. The ones around here are all home-based studios, guys who bought ProTools and converted their detached garages sorta thing. You're not gonna get Abbey Road kinda quality out of it, but you at least usually get a decent sounding demo. :)
    overdriveguitarman;3550778 said:
    Those deals sound pretty awesome! I'll check soon! So they let you take as much time as you need for the 3 songs? And how will I know if it will be good quality?
    Depends on the studio, I suppose. Here's an example posted here yesterday:
    http://raleigh.craigslist.org/muc/1633299540.html

    $100 for 8 hours. As long as you go in there with your material fully written and ready to record, you should be able to get several demo songs done in that time. The biggest mistake a band can make to waste money in the studio is to go in unprepared. Don't go in until EVERYTHING (including every note of the guitar solos) is completely written.
Sign In or Register to comment.