It's live, it's loved, now HMX, answer me this...

HelloMasterHelloMaster Opening Act
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
...what's with the 10 minute maximum?

When I asked back at announcement, you said you couldn't answer me at the time. Can you answer me now?

Comments

• ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    It's the maximum.

It's hard enough to properly test/review a 6 minute song. I pity the poor fool who puts the first 10 minute song up.

And greater than 10 minutes? There aren't enough hours in the day.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    It's the maximum.

It's hard enough to properly test/review a 6 minute song. I pity the poor fool who puts the first 10 minute song up.

• HelloMasterHelloMaster Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Understood. Need better software and harder working testers. Thanks.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    HelloMaster;3550455 said:
    AAAAAND awesome, hardworking, unpaid, thankless testers and reviewers explode in justified rage in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Maybe you should write them new software and test then.
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited March 2010
    ethicalpaul;3550451 said:
    It's the maximum.

there is one 10 minute song up..........but i cant for the life of me remember what it was......i remember them talking about how they had to cut it down to 10 min........i remember it had possibly the most insane drums ive ever seen.....i just cant remember what it was lol

EDIT: its The Project Hate MCMXCIX - Descend into the Eternal Pits of Possession
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Maybe you should sign up and volunteer your time if it's so easy. :rolleyes:
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited March 2010
    broncosfan06;3550497 said:
    there is one 10 minute song up..........but i cant for the life of me remember what it was......i remember them talking about how they had to cut it down to 10 min........i remember it had possibly the most insane drums ive ever seen.....i just cant remember what it was lol
    I think you are refering to "Day Of Mourning"
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3550504 said:
    Maybe you should sign up and volunteer your time if it's so easy. :rolleyes:
    I never said it was easy, and I didn't say the current testers didn't work hard. But ethicalpaul's reasoning against 10+ minute songs is not one of practical ability, it's simply one of effort.

If the only difference between preparing a five-minute song and a 15-minute song is the time it takes to do it, then an excuse made for that reason is a lazy one. I ain't sayin' it's not justified, and I ain't sayin' it's not reasonable, I'm just saying it's lazy.

Now the first part, the software limitations, that's understandable. I wish Harmonix would invest in software that allowed an audition mode to function past 10 minutes. That really doesn't seem out of line to me.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    HelloMaster;3550518 said:
    I never said it was easy, and I didn't say the current testers didn't work hard. But ethicalpaul's reasoning against 10+ minute songs is not one of practical ability, it's simply one of effort.

If the only difference between preparing a five-minute song and a 15-minute song is the time it takes to do it, then an excuse made for that reason is a lazy one. I ain't sayin' it's not justified, and I ain't sayin' it's not reasonable, I'm just saying it's lazy.

Now the first part, the software limitations, that's understandable. I wish Harmonix would invest in software that allowed an audition mode to function past 10 minutes. That really doesn't seem out of line to me.
    ethicalpaul's post was more about 6-10 minute songs, not 10+ minute songs. Casto21's post was addressing your original question, which was about the 10-minute hard limit of RBN songs, which is a software limitation of Audition Mode.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited March 2010
    That's not really the case. The problem stems from hardware limitations on consoles, which introduce factors (like memory issues) that are beyond the scope of a community testing program when songs start getting past the ten minute mark. At that point, testing becomes more appropriate for developer consoles.
  • edited March 2010
    I can tell you're going to be really popular in this peer driven user generated content initiative.
    edited March 2010
    Ah, so now it's hardware and software. The plot thickens...
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited March 2010
    HMXHenry;3550587 said:
    I can tell you're going to be really popular in this peer driven user generated content initiative.
    Well he has inspired me to start testing. Gonna fix my router this weekend and get set up by the end of the month. The RBN rules and I want to be apart of it.....other than being a consumer.
    edited March 2010
    HMXHenry;3550587 said:
    For every person telling you "good job", you need another person telling you "do better". This is how we improve.
    edited March 2010
    HelloMaster;3550518 said:
    I ain't sayin' it's not justified, and I ain't sayin' it's not reasonable, I'm just saying it's lazy.
    So it's justified, and it's reasonable...but they're still lazy?

Typically when you're trying to get out from a hole you've dug for yourself, step one is to stop digging.
    HelloMaster;3550600 said:
    For every person telling you "good job", you need another person telling you "do better". This is how we improve.
    Yes, your insulting demeanor regarding this entirely volunteer driven project is going to be just the motivator people need to rally around. You are so considerate. :rolleyes:
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited March 2010
    HelloMaster;3550600 said:
    Thats only true if you actually give constructive criticism. Which so far you have been unable to do.

You just called testers lazy.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    I like HelloMaster. He reminds me of chicken noodle soup.

I for one welcome our new soupy overlord-- er, no I mean dictator? Or maybe de-motivational speaker?
    edited March 2010
    Ehfahq;3550603 said:
    Testers who, IIRC, actually paid $100 of their own scratch for the honor of testing...
    edited March 2010
    Ehfahq;3550603 said:
    Thats only true if you actually give constructive criticism. Which so far you have been unable to do.

I called testers who wouldn't be willing to chart songs beyond 10 minutes lazy, and I still believe that's the truth. However, it's a moot point, because the software/hardware/whateverware won't allow for it anyway.

Given this unfortunate limitation, the testers are hardworking enough. They are literally doing all they can.

I wish they could do more (and doubtless many of the would).
  • Die-Guitar-HeroDie-Guitar-Hero Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I've never heard a 10 minute + song that couldn't be broken up into two parts at some point. It might not be the most glamorous method but it certainly keeps HelloMaster from being disappointed, and THAT's what's most important.
    edited March 2010
    HelloMaster;3550607 said:
    I called testers who wouldn't be willing to chart songs beyond 10 minutes lazy, and I still believe that's the truth.
    Seriously, quit while you're ahead. At this rate you're "advice" won't be helping anybody because most of the board will put you on their ignore lists by the end of the day.
    edited March 2010
    What I don't get is, what in the world he wants charted. Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands? Supper's Ready? 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall (extended dance remix 12")? :eyes roll:
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3550611 said:
    Seriously, quit while you're ahead. At this rate you're "advice" won't be helping anybody because most of the board will put you on their ignore lists by the end of the day.
    Ahead? Have you been reading this board? I've never been ahead! I was behind from my first comment!

Well, maybe second.
    edited March 2010
    HelloMaster;3550617 said:
    Ahead? Have you been reading this board? I've never been ahead! I was behind from my first comment!
    Thus endeth the lesson.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited March 2010
    It's not that much of a blow; only three of the 1100 or so songs on the main Rock Band Platform go over the limit, two of which are from full albums and could probably be edited down a bit if they absolutely had to. 10 minutes is more than enough time.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    HelloMaster;3550617 said:

Well, maybe second.
    Just post a bunch of stuff about bacon and then you will be welcome!

Edit: Also I bought you a hat It's stylin'
    edited March 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3550624 said:
    It's not that much of a blow; only three of the 1100 or so songs on the main Rock Band Platform go over the limit, two of which are from full albums and could probably be edited down a bit if they absolutely had to. 10 minutes is more than enough time.
    It's really not.
  • edited March 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3550624 said:
    10 minutes is more than enough time.
    HelloMaster;3550636 said:
    It's really not.
    So less than half of 1% of the 1,200 songs in RB currently cross the 10 minute mark. Currently, the only other UGC alternative in music gaming allows for 3 minutes of content, no vocals, etc. So hopefully you will agree that RBN is a step up from that.

If 10 minutes isn't enough for you, feel free to break songs down and release multiple parts. Promote them as a set list. Look into other songs that you have access to that are under 10 minutes. If you don't have any songs that are under 10 minutes long then maybe RBN isn't the UGC tool for you right now. But the RBN store has only been open for 5 days, and it's worth remembering that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Point of interest: general feedback puts the creation of an average RBN song (say 4 minutes) at about 40 hours of work. Add on playtesting, peer review, screening, etc. and there's a lot of time and effort being put into songs. I'm sure the prospect of putting in 80-100 hours worth of work for a 10 minute long song is less than appealing to some people. That doesn't mean that they're lazy. It probably means they're exhausted from working on all the other songs they made.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited March 2010
    HelloMaster;3550607 said:
    I called testers who wouldn't be willing to chart songs beyond 10 minutes lazy, and I still believe that's the truth.
    That's a pretty idiotic thing to say when you obviously have no idea what all is actually involved in playtesting an RBN song and what the limitations of Audition Mode are.
This discussion has been closed.