So, how many bands are actually authoring THEIR OWN songs?

GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
RBN started out as a way for bands to chart their own songs, and swiftly grew into a market run by 3rd party businesses and authors. I'm starting to see a very small amount of bands charting their own songs, anyone have a list of bands who are actually doing this? I'd like to listen to give their songs a listen and preferably download a song from them over one charted by a business, just to give that band extra support.

Comments

• jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Well, both Paper Valentines and Shiny Dark Bar count: Markleford, the author, did the drums & a lot of production on both of 'em.
    ~JWR
    http://www.rockband.com/songs/UGC_5000799
    http://www.rockband.com/songs/UGC_5001570
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    I was going to do it, but it's just too complicated and I don't have the time to sit here and learn
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3551721 said:
    Well, both Paper Valentines and Shiny Dark Bar count: Markleford, the author, did the drums & a lot of production on both of 'em.
    Part of the few, the proud... the skint.

- m
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, and I want to do all the repair work in my house instead of hiring professionals too! :rolleyes:
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Starfleet_Rambo;3551904 said:
    Yeah, and I want to do all the repair work in my house instead of hiring professionals too! :rolleyes:
    me too!
    it's far cheaper, i don't have to work around anyone else's schedule, and i can trust myself not to screw up in most instances!
    edited March 2010
    Markleford;3551899 said:
    Part of the few, the proud... the skint.

- m
    Shhh! If you call it "jamming econo" it's got more indie-punk cred: "It's a way of living, man! We don't need no stinkin' money to do this!" :rolleyes:
    edited March 2010
    afterstasis;3551906 said:
    me too!
    it's far cheaper, i don't have to work around anyone else's schedule, and i can trust myself not to screw up in most instances!
    It's settled. We'll take workshops together. I'll be on I-77S in no time.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited March 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3551715 said:
    RBN started out as a way for bands to chart their own songs, and swiftly grew into a market run by 3rd party businesses and authors.
    Not true at all; Harmonix planned from the very beginning that there would be 3rd party companies. How do you think Rhythm Authors was started? HMX knew that because of how much time it takes to get a song authored, many bands would not do it themselves when they could be spending their time creating/performing music instead. Without 3rd party companies there would be nowhere near the number of songs we already have available in the RBN store.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    trg007;3552104 said:
    Not true at all; Harmonix planned from the very beginning that there would be 3rd party companies. How do you think Rhythm Authors was started? HMX knew that because of how much time it takes to get a song authored, many bands would not do it themselves when they could be spending their time creating/performing music instead. Without 3rd party companies there would be nowhere near the number of songs we already have available in the RBN store.
    I'm not saying that's why it was created, I'm just saying that's kinda how it started out, as in when I first saw the news I was like "oh sweet, actual bands will be releasing their own music as DLC" and then it ended up having few bands actually doing this themselves. I guess I did a ****ty job of wording it lol
    edited March 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3552130 said:
    I'm not saying that's why it was created, I'm just saying that's kinda how it started out, as in when I first saw the news I was like "oh sweet, actual bands will be releasing their own music as DLC" and then it ended up having few bands actually doing this themselves. I guess I did a ****ty job of wording it lol
    It doesn't matter how you worded it. It was pointless regardless.

The DLC HMX releases is done by them and not the bands, so what's the problem with these bands coming out in RBN having people make the charts?

If bands charted songs on their own for RBN, this thing wouldn't produce many songs like it is now.
    edited March 2010
    Starfleet_Rambo;3552158 said:
    It doesn't matter how you worded it. It was pointless regardless.

The DLC HMX releases is done by them and not the bands, so what's the problem with these bands coming out in RBN having people make the charts?

If bands charted songs on their own for RBN, this thing wouldn't produce many songs like it is now.
    Look, all I'm saying is if I have 2 songs I want to buy, and only enough MSP for 1, I'd rather buy the one that was made by the band themselves to support them for going the extra mile and getting involved first hand with the RBN.
    edited March 2010
    I like the sentiment (naturally!) but the distinction's actually pretty fine. I don't have details to back this up, but I suspect that a lot of the Author/Artist relationships are pretty indie-friendly, and direct - I'm thinking Kristin Hersh, just off the top of my head, and the Zack Wilson stuff. I'd say supporting artists like that comes close to the spirit of what you're talking about.
    edited March 2010
    Starfleet_Rambo;3552158 said:
    Actually, it may be moreso the overlap between how many bands have members that actually *play* the game. It's rarer than some people might think.

I just so happen to love the game *and* do session drums and production for James William Roy. We'd previously wanted to put out an EP, but didn't have much cash to throw around at the time, so when RBN was announced it seemed a good alternative to build some interest.

And *then* your band has to happen to have a technically proficient member that can handle the charting. For some bands, the most technical they get is to fiddle with knobs on their amps. But for some, like my pals in Scratching the Itch and You Shriek, they already have a large electronic component to their music, so charting in a MIDI sequencer is second nature. I used to be a music software developer, so there was negligible learning curve for me.

So statistically speaking, you're quite right: finding a band member that loves RB and has the technical chops (or willingness to learn) is kind of a rare thing!

Of course, HMX doesn't really care where the charting comes from: I'm sure they figured some bands would have that DIY sweet-spot, or have a friend in their network that has the chops, or that they'd capitalize on the inevitable formation of 3rd party authors. It's all good, right?
    GeneralGilliam said:
    Look, all I'm saying is if I have 2 songs I want to buy, and only enough MSP for 1, I'd rather buy the one that was made by the band themselves to support them for going the extra mile and getting involved first hand with the RBN.
    I don't think this is a particular motivator for me, but I guess it's of note that of 5 RBN tracks I've bought thus far, all of them are from self-charters: Go Team-DIY! :)

- m
  • buster42buster42 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I think I remember the MC Frontalot song (Goth Girls) being authored by mc_frontalot. So I'm guessing that he authored the song himself.
    edited March 2010
    buster42;3552338 said:
    I think I remember the MC Frontalot song (Goth Girls) being authored by mc_frontalot. So I'm guessing that he authored the song himself.
    Actually, by his bassist, Blak Lotus.

- m
  • buster42buster42 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Markleford;3552358 said:
    Actually, by his bassist, Blak Lotus.

- m
    Oh. Still a member of the band, though >_>
  • edited April 2010
    Charting my own material has been a challenge, sometimes a hit to the ego, but overall awesome. Many of the indie charters are also doing work for other artists as well, either individually or as part of a group (hi Markleford, You Shriek, and RockGamer!).

It's been a great ride so far getting STI music in front of so many new people. I know that for the most part, us unknowns are not selling anywhere near the numbers as, say, KMFDM or Bang Camaro, but hey - you gotta start somewhere!

Thanks to everyone who has been using RBN to discover great new music. I'm right there, discovering it with you.
  • madcapmattmadcapmatt Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Didn't I read on here that one of the members of Evile (the guitarist?) was charting his album, right?
  • The FriskThe Frisk Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    madcapmatt;3626254 said:
    Didn't I read on here that one of the members of Evile (the guitarist?) was charting his album, right?
    Yeah. One of the members was interviewed by HMX Thrasher in the podcast, and he mentioned he was doing the album himself.
    edited April 2010
    Just to reiterate, if bands had to author their own songs to get into RBN, RBN would suck.

Big thanks to HMX for not rock blocking. :cool:
    edited April 2010
    Starfleet_Rambo;3626754 said:
    Just to reiterate, if bands had to author their own songs to get into RBN, RBN would suck.
    DUDE. Markleford does my drums, and my charting. We doth not suck.
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    jawillroy;3626887 said:
    DUDE. Markleford does my drums, and my charting. We doth not suck.
    I can attest to them not sucking. Their tracks rock and are now on my iTunes thanks to RBN.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2010
    jawillroy;3626887 said:
    [QUOTE=Starfleet_Rambo;3626754]Just to reiterate, if bands had to author their own songs to get into RBN, RBN would suck.
    DUDE. Markleford does my drums, and my charting. We doth not suck.[/QUOTE]

I read that statement as, "...then RBN would suck because a lot of bands wouldn't be able to make that effort, thus preventing a lot of songs from showing up."
    edited April 2010
    LoopyChew;3627633 said:
    I read that statement as, "...then RBN would suck because a lot of bands wouldn't be able to make that effort, thus preventing a lot of songs from showing up."
    Fair enough!

I'd still have taken the opportunity to point out that we don't suck.

'Cause nobody's gonna promote us if we don't... ;)
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2010
    jawillroy;3627722 said:
    I'd still have taken the opportunity to point out that we don't suck.

'Cause nobody's gonna promote us if we don't... ;)
    Your statements allow for the two following logical conclusions:

1. So you're actively trying to prevent promotion for your band?

and

2. I'm sorry, but I don't swing that way.
    edited April 2010
    LoopyChew;3627835 said:
    Your statements allow for the two following logical conclusions:
    Not really, and

1. Nope.

2. Don't flatter yourself, kiddo.
    edited April 2010
    When you're on a major label, they have interns to do this sort of thing. ;)

- m
    edited April 2010
    Markleford;3627925 said:
    When you're on a major label, they have interns to do this sort of thing. ;) - m
    I know! I can't wait. It'll be AWESOME. I'll put it in the contract in crayon: "James never has to waste time on the internets again!"
    edited April 2010
    No! I meant the... erm... "sucking thing". ;)

Interns are good at it.

- m
    edited April 2010
    Markleford;3628127 said:
    No! I meant the... erm... "sucking thing". ;)

Interns are good at it.

- m

I see what you did there :cool: