FREE mp3: James William Roy's Shiny Dark Bar

jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
My Second RBN tune is officially launched today! I'm James William Roy, the song is "Shiny Dark Bar," and the magnificent Markleford provided drums, production, and righteous game authoring.

Come down to the Shiny Dark Bar, and have one on us:
Free mp3: Shiny Dark Bar

Download it! Share it with friends! Share it with your mom! Share it with your bartender! Share it with your bartender's mom!

And of course, play it on Rock Band - it's an econo $1 / 80MSP. You can hardly buy a cup of coffee for a buck!
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/8000017b-0000-4000-8000-000045410869?cid=RockBandCom&partner=RockBandCom
Here are the final videos:
*Full Band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq7ZxwFFuxA
*Venue/Lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44BpdMpIu6I

And while you're at it, you might as well spring for my first RBN song, Paper Valentines, also authored, produced and drummed by Markleford, and also a modest $1 / 80MSP:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/800000c5-0000-4000-8000-000045410869?cid=RockBandCom&partner=RockBandCom
Free mp3: http://www.thejamesrocket.com/thejamesrocket_files/paper_valentines_09.mp3
*Full Band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeoAZG7T4VU
*Venue/Lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzCDT_jtdI

And there's about forty songs for you to download on my site for free: http://www.thejamesrocket.com

Big thanks to all the HMX staffers and all the testers and reviewers for being awesome, all you brave music exploring types for being awesome and giving the "little guy" a shot, and especially huge thanks to Markleford for caring enough about these songs to sweat over them.

And now I have to write more songs good enough for Markleford to chart. NO PRESSURE!

Comments

• MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3552102 said:
    NO PRESSURE!
    That's what she said!

(Actually, that's what *he* said she said, if he's to be believed...)

Thanks to the folks who've supported us in this little self-authoring endeavor. Sounds like you're diggin' it.

- m
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    markleford;3552168 said:
    actually, that's what *he* said your mom said
    /fixed (^_-)
    edited March 2010
    Oh no you didn't!

(heck, this one almost slipped by me!)

That's what yer bartender's mom said!

- m
    edited March 2010
    I'll say hi to your brother after work, then.

Aaaaand then I'll say hi to your mom.

(Heyooooo! Thanks for coming folks, we're here every weeknight. Tip your waitresses, and if you're drinking, don't drive, and if you're driving, don't drive.)

Thanks to you guys who've tried our songs and liked them - there's more in the pipeline. If you haven't, try them:

Free mp3: Paper Valentines
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3555509 said:
    I'll say hi to your brother after work, then.

Aaaaand then I'll say hi to your mom.

(Heyooooo! Thanks for coming folks, we're here every weeknight. Tip your waitresses, and if you're drinking, don't drive, and if you're driving, don't drive.)

Thanks to you guys who've tried our songs and liked them - there's more in the pipeline. If you haven't, try them:

Free mp3: Paper Valentines
    Will you be here all week? What tip should I give the waitresses? I'm thinking brush your teeth everyday, but the service wasn't as good as I had hoped.

Zing!

Anyway, thanks for bringing your songs to RBN! :)
    edited March 2010
    overdriveguitarman;3555953 said:
    Anyway, thanks for bringing your songs to RBN! :)
    You're welcome! We're planning on bringing more songs to RBN: if you like, you can listen to almost forty more songs for free on my site, TheJamesRocket.com, and there's twenty more up on my Amie Street page. Let us know if you have any requests, and I'll make sure to pile Markleford's plate high with them so I have more time to finish some NEW songs. :D
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Both tracks are songs that grow on me each time I hear them. I think I'll download the previews and give them a whirl.

Always nice to hear from the actual artists themselves on the forums.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Thanks. I'll check this out when I get home. I haven't bought it from RBN yet, but like Jorm, every time I listen to Paper Valentines it grows on me more. Admittedly, because you priced your songs at 80MSP, the chances are very high I'll get them on an impulse buy.

...I just really gotta buy more points. I gotta hit up my friend Amazon. MSP without the sales tax charge is nice. :)
    edited March 2010
    Jorm said:
    Always nice to hear from the actual artists themselves on the forums.
    I'd always lurked before RBN, actually (have to scope the weekly DLC announcements!), but figured I'd need to establish a presence once I started authoring.

It's equally cool to get this feedback from players/listeners!
    jeccaneko;3556351 said:
    Admittedly, because you priced your songs at 80MSP, the chances are very high I'll get them on an impulse buy.
    Cool: that's what we hoped when choosing the lowest price we could!
    ...I just really gotta buy more points. I gotta hit up my friend Amazon. MSP without the sales tax charge is nice. :)
    Yeah, I got a 4000 MSP card from there last time it was (slightly) on sale, in preparation for RBN launch. :) I totally miss Target's old 1600 MSP for $14.99 sales they used to have!

- m
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Markleford;3556660 said:
    I totally miss Target's old 1600 MSP for $14.99 sales they used to have!

- m
    Those were the days. I'd load up with 8K points at a time, each time I'd think "no way I'll run through this many points", but RB would keep pumping out the DLC and I'd keep buying.

I wish someone would run a sale like that on MSP again. I've seen a few notices on these forums for sales, but I've been too slow on the uptake, and the link's dead or the sale is over.
    edited March 2010
    Markleford;3556660 said:

Yeah, I got a 4000 MSP card from there last time it was (slightly) on sale, in preparation for RBN launch. :) I totally miss Target's old 1600 MSP for $14.99 sales they used to have!
    So do I. Amazon had them from time to time too, for the physical copies of the cards.

Do you guys have any future songs coming out to RBN, or are you going to wait to see how these two do first?
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3556740 said:
    Do you guys have any future songs coming out to RBN, or are you going to wait to see how these two do first?
    We've got a few that we're kicking around to get ready for RBN, but they're not yet at the charting stage, so we'll have a chance to see how they do whether we like it or not! I've got about fifty songs that could conceivably be put into the hopper, though. Check The James Rocket, and let us know if there's anything you think you'd like to play!
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3556829 said:
    We've got a few that we're kicking around to get ready for RBN, but they're not yet at the charting stage, so we'll have a chance to see how they do whether we like it or not!
    Indeed!

I'm already juggling 3 more songs in the process of working James's original somewhat-demo recordings into finished songs, with new drums and slightly cleaner mixing (but not too slick! we like a dirty edge!).

Unfortunately that leaves me way in the weeds for polishing the recordings and *then* getting to the charts in a timely manner. Too few hours in a day for a working schlub! It's the DIY way, I guess.

Now if only I could clone myself...

- m
    edited March 2010
    Markleford;3559173 said:

Now if only I could clone myself...
    Watch Monsters vs. Aliens, an animated movie by Dreamworks. The big bad guy alien of the movie clones himself at one point. You will see that cloning yourself isn't necessarily a good thing. Clones can end up less intelligent than you and it also makes things a bit confusing. ;)

And for the dirty edge thing, that's totally cool. As long as the audio still sounds good coming out of my speakers, I'm happy.
    edited March 2010
    It's the dirty edge that makes it sound good coming out of your speakers! But don't worry: Markleford will make sure nothing *too* raw gets to peer review. And even my lo-fi stuff doesn't get THAT "lo". (Cue Markleford re: tuning in 5... 4... 3...)