Unofficial "We Refuse to Spend $3 On One Song" Thread

Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Blondie's classic song "Atomic" is now available on the Xbox Live Marketplace, as part of the RBN.

However, it is being sold for 240MSP/$3, in a blatant effort by a dying label in a decaying industry to make a quick buck off of us, at the same time insulting the intelligence of every single one of us who they expect to play their game.

As a show of integrity and solidarity, I have created this thread to express our intense dissatisfaction with this extortion, and to show that we will not entertain the fantasies of money-grabbing record labels who are panicking because nobody's buying their product anymore. Please post if you agree with this, and will refuse to buy this song and any other songs the major labels think that we'll pay more for.

Comments

• Cbarnes86Cbarnes86 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Stairway to Heaven would be the only song I would pay more than 2 dollars on.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Kariodude;3552498 said:
    Why pay $3 for Atomic when you can spend $2 next week on Cartman?
    Or spend 240MSP, the price of "Atomic," on 3 songs at 80MSP, all of which will likely be much more fun than that song.

Charon makes a great point, as well. The Beatles charged 160MSP per song, and they are one of the few bands where people would willingly buy for more than the regular price. Rule of thumb; if it's good enough for the Beatles, it's good enough for you.

Also, for the record, HMX could've charged anything for the Cartman song and I'd still buy it. It transcends earthly concepts like price.
  • HelloMasterHelloMaster Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Pankrazzo;3552464 said:
    I'm not going to pay 240msp for songs clocking in between 2-4 minutes, doesn't matter whether it would be a random indie artist, Metallica, Led Zepellin or Michael Jackson.

Bring on epic 10-20min songs and I'm gonna open my wallet, EMI :)
    I agree with this sentiment, although 10-20 minutes songs aren't doable on RBN at this time. (software/hardware limitations).

But absolutely I'd be willing to pay more for longer songs. It's an enormous effort to put up even a 4-minute track, and some of those are selling for $1. I'd happily pay $3 for a 7-10 minute track (and longer, if ever possible). Of course, it'd be nice if that extra money actually went to the playtesters somehow, since they're the ones that suffer the burden of the longer development process.
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Same, not paying $3 unless it's either Beatles, something I absolutely must have, or a past 15-min song. For a song like this, it's just not worth it.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, it should be:

Unsigned Band 1-6 minutes: $1
    Unsigned Band 7+ minutes: $2
    Signed Band 1-6 minutes: $2
    Signed Band 7+ minutes: $3
    Unsigned or Signed 15+ minutes: $3
  • ThisnameislameThisnameislame Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    When I can get Don't Stop Believing, More Than a Feeling, Smells Like Teen Spirit, All You Need is Love, Baba O'riley, Under the Bridge, and much more heavy hitters for no more than $2 apiece, why on Earth would I be expected to pay $3 for Blondie's 3rd most famous song?
  • lotr rocks 0lotr rocks 0 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    i support this thread, I won't be buying anything for $3 unless its an amazing song
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I tend to agree, although there are some songs I'd pay 3 bucks for.

If it is a song I know, and love (like Idol's Dancing with Myself) I'll spring the extra buck. However....

I like Blondie, but I Atomic is a "meh" song to me. Smashing Pumkins are a band I don't mind but not a huge fan of. Those songs that I would have happily bought at 2 bucks, I won't bother to get at 3.

For the most part, I tend to look at DLC the way I do going shopping at a second hand or thrift store - I'm not looking for a particular thing, I'm looking for something that strikes my interest that I am willing to try out. Over half of the DLC I have are by bands I barely know, or never heard of - or songs I don't have a strong attachment to from bands I do know. Few DLC are "going to look to buy this particular song" category - Rush, Queen and a few others for me.

The 3 Dollar price tag moves anything priced that way out of casual interest purchase and solidly into the "Must have this song" purchase category. So if EMI stays with this pricing model, a fair number of songs that I would have purchased are going to sit in the store unpurchased.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3552525 said:
    Yeah, it should be:

In my eyes, no length under 10 minutes could possibly justify charging 3$. I wouldn't even pay $3 for Led Zep, and, while many say they would, I'm sure they wouldn't if the situation actually became reality.

EDIT: Also, this thread isn't "I won't spend $3 on a song unless I really like it." It's "I won't spend $3 on any song." I REALLY love Atomic, but I'm never spending 240MSP on it.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Remember that RBN authors, through the XNA system, can change their prices on a quarterly or semi-annual basis.

I imagine that they'll be dropping to 160 MSP at first opportunity.

- m
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    What a hypocrite. First you dictate that all "obscure" bands shouldn't be allowed to charge more than $1, and now somebody charges $3 and you open this whiny, self-important ego-stroking fest to insult them.

And serioulsy, WTF is this?
    Thom1234;3552438 said:
    However, it is being sold for 240MSP/$3, in a blatant effort by a dying label in a decaying industry to make a quick buck off of us, at the same time insulting the intelligence of every single one of us who they expect to play their game.
    How dare you act like you speak for these forums. Sorry, but the last thing I want any member of Blondie, their label, or the people that worked on the songs to see is someone spouting garbage like this.
    Thom1234;3552438 said:
    As a show of integrity and solidarity, I have created this thread to express our intense dissatisfaction with this extortion, and to show that we will not entertain the fantasies of money-grabbing record labels who are panicking because nobody's buying their product anymore.
    I don't agree with a single thing you've said, but I'll be danged if I won't post in here so that hopefully anybody involved with bringing songs from classic artists doesn't get the wrong impression that you and those who think like you are the voice of this forum.

But seriously, if you're goal is to piss off bands considering using the RBN...feel free to continue posting. If you're lucky, maybe you'll be able to successfully kill it for all of us.
  • badhack0x13badhack0x13 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I would pay $3 for a 10-minute song made of intricate, complex charts and constantly shifting time signatures.

But there's NO way in hades I will pay $3 for a regular length song - not unless Harmonix has made $3 the new standard for DLC. Will not, shall not happen.

(And I really wanted Blondie too! :( I'll give you $2 for it, if you ever change your minds!!)
  • MasemMasem Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Has someone contacted Jake-EMI (the author, IIRC) about this price? At least let them know there's some upset people over that.
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited March 2010
    so i hate to be "that guy" but i gotta

i cant access my 360 right now does anyone have a linky for proof? Atomic isnt showing as approved online yet nor is it in the RBN music section on this site yet nor can i find it on the xbox website yet

EDIT: never mind ..... found it ..... hmmm well not getting that now
    edited March 2010
    Masem;3552554 said:
    Has someone contacted Jake-EMI (the author, IIRC) about this price? At least let them know there's some upset people over that.
    There's always going to be people upset over the price. Just look at the thread I linked earlier where (once again) Thom decided that he was allowed to dictate who could and couldn't charge what price.

When RB was first announced, HMX made it clear that songs could range from Free to $3. Well, here you go...a $3 song.

You don't want the song, fine. Don't buy it. But we don't need BS threads like this filled with phony outrage and crying about "extortion". There's a way to go about things. This thread and its tone are not that way.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    I'm interested to see what EMI does with its other songs. It could be they are setting one song to 3 bucks to be able to compare its sales to a similar song set to $2, which is a completely valid business experiment. RBN is still a fairly unknown entity and they might just be putting out feelers. Or maybe they will try $3 for all songs, time will tell.

But for now I will hold off on setting everything on fire and screaming.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    same for me, unless it is epic and long i wont buy any 3$ songs

i would buy stairway to heaven, november rain or songs like that though....but blondie? seriously?
  • JPSChampagneJPSChampagne Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Love Blondie. Not spending three dollars on a song. No matter who's it from.
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3552563 said:
    HMX made it clear that songs could range from Free to $3.

bzzzzzz, wrong answer! Songs cannot be free, $1 is the minimum a band can charge. Thanks for comin' on the show, we'll be seein' ya now! ;)
  • SteveStardustSteveStardust Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    HelloMaster;3552521 said:
    I'd happily pay $3 for a 7-10 minute track (and longer, if ever possible)
    I totally agree with this. I hope the lack of purchases will drive home the message that no one wants to spend 3 dollars on a single song.
  • QuaszarQuaszar Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    [QUOTE=Thom1234;3552539]In my eyes, no length under 10 minutes could possibly justify charging 3$. I wouldn't even pay $3 for Led Zep, and, while many say they would, I'm sure they wouldn't if the situation actually became reality.

And you would be DEAD wrong....
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited March 2010
    If I wasn't busy with Final Fantasy XIII I would have already bought this song.

This is like anything else in the world, someone sets a price and you decide if the price asked is worth it to you. To me it is one of my favorite songs so well worth the three dollars, if you think about what you waste a buck on in day to day life it's kind of silly to get all militant over something like this.
    edited March 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3552574 said:
    bzzzzzz, wrong answer! Songs cannot be free, $1 is the minimum a band can charge. Thanks for comin' on the show, we'll be seein' ya now! ;)
    Um, you realize that I'm referring to all of RB right? You know, back in that original announcement about DLC when Rock Band was first announced.

And from what we've seen, Rock Band DLC can definately be free. Or else somehow I stole a copy of "Still Alive" from MS's servers.
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, it should be:

This discussion is reaching embarassingly new lows...
  • TroodonTroodon Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Well I'd rather pay $2 for a song than $3 for a song, obviously. But if it's a good enough song, and paying $3 is the only way I can possibly get it, that doesn't put it out of consideration for me. But it would have to be a pretty good one. "Atomic" doesn't qualify for me. (To be honest I doubt I'd pay $2 for it, but maybe that's just me.)

A "fair" price is one that both the buyer and seller think is reasonable. So is $3 too high? Depends on what's being sold for $3. If the only way I could ever get a Led Zeppelin song is to pay $3 for it I can't honestly say I wouldn't consider it. But the threshold of quality goes up when the price does; I won't pay 50% more for something that isn't in my mind at least 50% better.
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3552582 said:
    Um, you realize that I'm referring to all of RB right? You know, back in that original announcement about DLC when Rock Band was first announced.

And from what we've seen, Rock Band DLC can definately be free. Or else somehow I stole a copy of "Still Alive" from MS's servers.
    This is about songs on the RBN, not all RB. When RB was announced and they announced prices and stuff, the idea of the RBN hadn't even been thought of yet.

Also, while Thom is acting like a self-righteous *****, some of his views are right.
  • wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3552563 said:
    There's always going to be people upset over the price. Just look at the thread I linked earlier where (once again) Thom decided that he was allowed to dictate who could and couldn't charge what price.

When RB was first announced, HMX made it clear that songs could range from Free to $3. Well, here you go...a $3 song.

You don't want the song, fine. Don't buy it. But we don't need BS threads like this filled with phony outrage and crying about "extortion". There's a way to go about things. This thread and its tone are not that way.
    Stop being the devil's advocate for just this once, please. I know you like to argue, but when nearly everyone in this topic agrees that $3 is too much, I think it's safe to say that $3 is too much. This forum is about discussion of RBN, and that includes the negatives as well
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3552563 said:

It's funny, in a thee-four page thread, it is a group practically fully in agreement and you come in saying how you don't want bands to get the wrong impression?

What impression is that? That if you are not putting out an epic song from an epic band or if your song is not ultra long, don't charge 3 dollars for it or most people will not buy it?

Guess what, sport? That's just a fact.

Others have a right to voice their opinion...just as much as you do.

Will I buy this song for 3 bucks? Probably not, but I might just to keep the collection full.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010

Speaking as a musician, here, I can't get behind this. We write, record, and perform songs: we're not painting fences. We shouldn't have to be paid by the foot.

You'd pay three bucks for Inna Gadda Davida?
  • GameRansoMGameRansoM Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    If "Freebird" hit RBN for $3, I'd expect it to sell nearly as well as if it were more modestly priced.
    "Atomic" by Blondie? Not so much.
This discussion has been closed.