Our first RBN 'problem'

SpiderSamboSpiderSambo Opening Act
edited June 2010 in The Rock Band Network
As it turns out, Atomic by Blondie is going back into playtest for reasons unknown to man.

But some people already managed to access it through the online marketplace 'glitch'. Hence the rage yesterday ¬_¬

Surely we've now found our first problem of trying to get a song before it has been fully approved? Now people MAY have bought a song that has a problem... but as they didn't wait for it to be launched officially they won't be able to download the new revision.

For now I'm just getting songs through the RBN storefront, sure it'll delay some songs a few days... but it's better than encountering a glitch like this.

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    yeah, i've avoided getting songs early just in case. i'm a patient man.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    Afterstasis reminds me of an old canalope, sitting on a tree in the sunny beaches of the Bahamas
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    Hm, that is a problem. I'll have to refrain from using those links, at least until they show up on the Music list on RockBand.com
  • TragicEnd666TragicEnd666 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    the way i understand it, the charts were all fine. they forgot to put the label on the song. they are putting it through playtesting to make sure everything is good still
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Hopefully no one will expect any sort of refund or treatment if there is an issue with any version of a song they purchase in a roundabout manner... But I'm guessing there would be plenty who would.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Atomic is back in playtesting because the author didn't specify the label.

Wait until the links show up on The Music section RockBand.com.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    Yes, "Atomic" was put back in playtesting for the label thing BUT JakeV is asking if anyone has any other last-minute feedback before it goes to Peer Review. Changes could be made.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3555922 said:
    Yes, "Atomic" was put back in playtesting for the label thing BUT JakeV is asking if anyone has any other last-minute feedback before it goes to Peer Review. Changes could be made.
    Everyone on the Creators' website; go baw at him about it being $3.

Or don't.
  • Die-Guitar-HeroDie-Guitar-Hero Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Please try and get the original album art for it and for Bullet With Butterfly Wings! They belong on their respective albums!
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited March 2010
    I mentioned this on the Creators site as well, but buying songs from XBL before they're officially up is a "do at your own risk" thing. There's always a small chance that a song could be taken down before it ever gets to the actual in-game store. If you bought a song this way and then it gets taken down and put through Peer Review a second time, you would have to buy the song again if you wanted to play it online with friends who buy it after it hits the store officially.

This is because even though the artist/title are the same, it is technically considered a different song as far as XBL and RB2 are concerned. I'm not even sure what would happen if you had two versions of the same song downloaded, or what would happen if you tried to play the song online with people who have the "other" version. It's possible that it might cause the game to crash.
  • Nitz13Nitz13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I agree with the if you purchase through Xbox website or special workaround your doing so at your own risk. I'll gladly wait for it to appear in the RBN store to make sure I don't get any problems.
  • pong0814pong0814 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure how the XBL Marketplace works, but will it consider the re-uploaded songs a a "new" song, or sort of a version 2.0?

When my 360 broke down and MS sent me a replacement, I had to relicense all my DLC so I can play them offline, which basically means redownloading everything on my download history to the hard drive. The thing is though, what was just redownloaded was the licenses, so let's say a 500+ MB track pack would only download for a second since it's just the license you're redownloading on your hard drive since the content is already there. But there were some stuff that would redownload the full content, and I'm pretty sure those that downloaded in full were stuff that had to undergo a "revision" in the marketplace. I'm can't say for sure if "Brass In Pocket" was one of them (I think there was a sorting problem on the song initially and we were told in these forums to just redownload them again), and I am certain that the other one was the XBL arcade game Shadow Complex (which had to be patched because initially, people were able to play the full game by just downloading the demo).

So, I had TWO "Brass In Pocket"s (if I got the song right) on my hard drive, but when I fired up the game, it only sees one, so I just deleted the one with the older "save date".

Long story short, with "Atomic" being updated, will the re-uploaded version be like a version 2.0 (where if you delete the one on your hard drive and redownload it through your download history, will you just get the new one) or an entirely new song/file altogether?
  • SpiderSamboSpiderSambo Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    The assumption is that as there'll be SOME change to the actual file, that it'll be another song altogether... at least as far as your console will recognise.

The ultimate irony is that anyone who bought the song for $3 might have to spend another $3 on the fixed song.

$6 for a song? lul
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    SpiderSambo;3555886 said:
    Surely we've now found our first problem of trying to get a song before it has been fully approved? Now people MAY have bought a song that has a problem... but as they didn't wait for it to be launched officially they won't be able to download the new revision.
    Is that really true? I've seen DLC released for other games that they temporarily took down and put back up after they fixed bugs. If you use the download again option on your download history after the new one is up, it will download the most recent version up on XBL.
    edited March 2010
    This isn't like anything we've seen before.

We're encountering new territory with the RBN, especially with XNA content.

Either this is going to be settled via Fallout 3 dlc (they tie song into the code thing... so they'll just update a file onto their server)

e.g. if song is 00055... the next song will skip to 57 until 55 has been put up again.

OR (and this is where it gets tricky) the next song to be approved (that isn't Blondie) replaces the 55 slot... meaning that the only way to get the new song is to redownload it again costing money.
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    There is going to be a whole new rant thread if people who the bought the song have to pay for it again.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2010
    Sure you lose out on playing it online, but wouldn't it be cool to tell people that you have a rarity in your Rock Band library? That you have a version of Atomic that no longer exists?
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3556357 said:
    Is that really true? I've seen DLC released for other games that they temporarily took down and put back up after they fixed bugs.
    Well, RBN DLC appears to be a slightly different beast than RB DLC. As in, it uses the XNA and the Indie Games platform. So a relisting in this situation could be considered an entirely new "game" altogether.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    if rbn works anything like normal dlc as far as distrubition, there wont be an issue

we have had regular dlc in the past which has been updated and re-released(cant remember which, its been about a year at least sinse its happened) where all you had to do was download it again to get the updated version of it
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Yeah there's not going to be an issue. If something does change in the song, you can just delete and redownload and it would give you the new file. This is something that's been addressed already with the RBN. That's why only a song title and band can only be used once in case something like this happens.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    Kariodude;3556770 said:
    Yeah there's not going to be an issue. If something does change in the song, you can just delete and redownload and it would give you the new file. This is something that's been addressed already with the RBN. That's why only a song title and band can only be used once in case something like this happens.
    I'm not 100% but I am pretty sure this is wrong. I believe that a new version of the file will be an entirely new version of the song for RBN. It is the exact opposite of the regular DLC because of the XNA. This was discussed on the creators site, will try to find the exact discussion.

Edit: Found it!
    The problem with unpublishing is that the song is then removed forever from Marketplace, there is no way to re-publish that song. In order to add the song back again it must go through the approval process again, after which it would be a new offer on Marketplace. This could lead to all sorts of confusion about which version of the song people were playing in Multiplayer, for example, and they might have two identically names song packages on their Xbox Hard Drive.
  • dmbdawdmbdaw Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Oh gosh...hope this doesn't happen to my "Footloose and Fancy Free"...I love that track...quite a challenge.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited March 2010
    pong0814;3556248 said:
    I'm not sure how the XBL Marketplace works, but will it consider the re-uploaded songs a a "new" song, or sort of a version 2.0?
    It's a brand new offer, with a brand new ID. It will be a whole new song as far as Xbox LIVE is concerned.

The problem is if you buy the second one too, when you look at your song list, you will see two identical songs. Same for the memory management screen on your 360. There is no way that I can think of for you to tell them apart. There may be Multiplayer shenanigans that don't let you play that song via Xbox LIVE.

The only pure solution in this case would be to delete both, then redownload from the store, ensuring that you have only that latest version.

This is why we made sure to stress to the creators that once a song is up, taking it down and redoing it should only be a very last resort for a serious issue.
  • MarsPhoenixMarsPhoenix Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    This is a good reason to wait for songs to fully release. Good to know!
  • nightsx2nightsx2 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    If people are willing to pay $3 for a song...maybe this is a way of seeing if they'll pay $6 for it ;)
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Yes sir I did pay 6 dollars for that song. Hell, I will get a T Shirt that says "I paid 6 smackaroos for Blondie's Atomic!" The most controversial Rock Band song to date.
    edited March 2010
    This is why we made sure to stress to the creators that once a song is up, taking it down and redoing it should only be a very last resort for a serious issue.
    With this case it didn't actually need to be a serious issue... it wasn't technically 'up' in the first place, just accessible through a glitch on Xbox Live.

As far as the developer is concerned, they've just followed the regular procedures... which is a surefine kick in the teeth to people who may now have a $3 song that is useless.

I'd happily wait a week or so for my Footloose if it means getting the definitive version...
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    SpiderSambo;3557461 said:
    With this case it didn't actually need to be a serious issue... it wasn't technically 'up' in the first place, just accessible through a glitch on Xbox Live.
    It wasn't even a glitch, it's just the nature of XBN and the XBLM from the looks it. But it's a great lesson for why you don't just use the XBLM links to download content.

Hopefully those who got "burned" by this will keep that in mind going forward.
  • DethBoxxDethBoxx Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Nitz13;3556197 said:
    I agree with the if you purchase through Xbox website or special workaround your doing so at your own risk. I'll gladly wait for it to appear in the RBN store to make sure I don't get any problems.
    I don't see any warning or indication on the Xbox Live Marketplace site stating that purchases made there are any less 'legit' or more 'risky' than purchases made on the console. (they certainly cost just as much.) If this is the case, then there should be a warning. People have no way to know this.

Nice avatar btw :)
  • RagdollHeroRagdollHero Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    DethBoxx;3565143 said:
    I don't see any warning or indication on the Xbox Live Marketplace site stating that purchases made there are any less 'legit' or more 'risky' than purchases made on the console. (they certainly cost just as much.) If this is the case, then there should be a warning. People have no way to know this.

Nice avatar btw :)
    But the song wasn't readily available on the marketplace either, was it? People are just using unpublished links to get to the content, which is really at their own risk.