I'm very impressed

JormJorm Road Warrior
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I bought 6 of this week's regular DLC songs and 6 RBN songs today, and flip flopped between the two sets trying out my new music.

I'm really impressed with how good the charting is with the RBN tracks. I couldn't feel any differences between an HMX charted song vs a RBN charted song.

This is a testament to the charters and the community peer review team. Kudos to you folks, you are doing a great job.

I love quirky music, too. I can see that RBN is going to make me very, very happy over the course of this year. :D

Comments

• JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited March 2010
    Agreed. I've purchased 17 songs (I think) from the RBN and haven't been disappointed with any of them. The charts are done very, very well. I'm sure some exceptions will come, but overall, the quality is top notch.
  • Thrasher9294Thrasher9294 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    The only thing I've found that makes RBN odd is that the Vocal animations look pretty crappy compared to ones that HMX does. But that's not something to ruin it, not even close. It's awesome.
  • aperfectorestesaperfectorestes Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I really have to commend some of the really proggy songs on RBN. I know these can be some of the trickier to chart... with odd TS and long length.

So far the ones I have tried have been fantastic.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited March 2010
    Thrasher9294;3558812 said:
    The only thing I've found that makes RBN odd is that the Vocal animations look pretty crappy compared to ones that HMX does. But that's not something to ruin it, not even close. It's awesome.
    I commented on that very issue in another thread:
    trg007;3543292 said:
    If you mean the lip syncing, that part will not look as good as HMX DLC because the tools we have are limited. Essentially, in HMX songs they program all the lip sync animations by hand, but in RBN we are limited to having Magma automatically create the animations based on the vocal recording. Sometimes it doesn't pick up all the words very well (especially long, held out words) so don't be surprised if you see a close-up of the singer in an RBN song and their mouth is closed or almost closed when they should be belting out a loud note.
  • FangSingFangSing Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I love the RBN so far.

I would have to say I enjoyed pretty much every song I bought so far, especially the Main Drag songs. Some songs like the one from Of Montreal could of used the on-stage effects a bit better though.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    FangSing;3559445 said:
    Some songs like the one from Of Montreal could of used the on-stage effects a bit better though.
    Yeah, venue automation and animation is an art in and of itself. I wish that more authors put extra time into them!

However, we did have a discussion on the Creators forum about it that carried a prevailing opinion that pretty much only solo vocalists will pay attention to the visuals, partly because most of their screen is clear, and partly because they'll have more time to look around since they're not playing as much of the time as the instruments.

I personally think that's somewhat of a cop-out, and will continue to put my best efforts into venue authoring! :)

PLUGPLUGPLUG: My songs for James William Roy have great stage effects and automation! Check out those sing-alongs and directed camera cuts!

Also check out "Lilith in Libra" by You Shriek, and Jonathan Coulton's "Creepy Doll": both have breathtaking venue tracks in the larger venues that have the gamut of lighting available.

- m
  • opfreakopfreak Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I'm not cannot use it on my 2nd class Ps3
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Markleford;3559511 said:

PLUGPLUGPLUG: My songs for James William Roy have great stage effects and automation! Check out those sing-alongs and directed camera cuts!

Also check out "Lilith in Libra" by You Shriek, and Jonathan Coulton's "Creepy Doll": both have breathtaking venue tracks in the larger venues that have the gamut of lighting available.
    Haha, I'd start to think you and James plug your songs too much, but the songs are awesome enough to warrant it. Kudos. :D

I also agree with Creepy Doll. RockGamer Studios did a great job with it. It goes well with the creepy, almost horror-ish theme of the song, the way they do the lighting and everything.
  • Thrasher9294Thrasher9294 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    trg007;3559386 said:
    I commented on that very issue in another thread:
    That's what I figured, but thanks!
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    jeccaneko;3559925 said:
    Haha, I'd start to think you and James plug your songs too much, but the songs are awesome enough to warrant it. Kudos. :D.
    Thanks! I do try to put in a word for other indies, too... But what can we do? There's no payola budget. ;)