Would you be willing to pay $3 for the right song?

davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
edited May 2010 in The Rock Band Network
First off, yes, this is different than LuigiHann's poll. And second, no, I'm not going to start charging $3 for my songs. :p

Now that that's out of the way, the question stands: Would you be willing to pay $3 for the right song? And if so, what exactly makes that specific song the "right song" that you would be willing to pay $3 for it?

I'll start! Yes, I would. And the song is - Dream Theater, "Metropolis pt. 1". Partly because it's 9:30 in length, but mostly because it's the first song of theirs I ever heard, and the one that made me a DT fan.

Comments

• HelloMasterHelloMaster Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3559118 said:
    I elected not to put a poll on here because lots of people would just answer the poll and then not comment in the thread. I wanted actual responses. :)
    Fair point. I guess if I really wanted the percentages, I could let it grow and then just count it myself. (Though the response at present is overwhelmingly one-sided).
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited March 2010
    It would take a song that I really like to get me to spend $3 on it. Zebrahead's "Brixton" and Crush 40's "Live and Learn" and "Open Your Heart" are a few examples of those types of songs by bands many might not be familiar with, and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Michael Jackson's "Thriller" are a couple examples of well-known songs I'd spend that much on..
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    My answer to the thread is yes, I'd be willing to pay $3 for a song that I absolutely love. My sig is an example of one of the bands I'd shower with MS points.

With that being said, I'll just rewrite what I posted in the other thread:

I suppose my plan for RBN is:
    $3 - I'll purchase if it's a great tune I really want, being more selective
    $2 - I'll purchase if it's a good tune, being slightly selective
    $1 - I'll purchase if it's a decent tune, essentially "impulse" buying
  • awest505awest505 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I would only pay $3 for something truly special, like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, or Pink Floyd. I won't spend it on regular popular songs, but I would probably buy anything I like for $2.
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Unequivocably yes.

Artist I recognize and love. Song I love.

I certainly won't be taking any fliers on $3 songs, it has to be solidly in my strike zone for me to bite at $3.
  • Happy DragonHappy Dragon Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Trugitrhero;3559125 said:
    That is a GRAVE misspelling of 'Ploy of Oracle', my friend. haha.
    Although that is indeed a very good modern translation, I'll keep with the traditional vernacular. :p
  • JBurtonJBurton Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I would pay 3$ for Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group if its the 10 minute long version. And thats an instrumental!
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    Although technically a lot of us have already paid over $2 for a song before, if we bought the AC/DC track pack when it first came out...

$40 for 18 tracks = $2.22 per song
  • jmohr1jmohr1 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    awest505;3559168 said:
    I would only pay $3 for something truly special, like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, or Pink Floyd. I won't spend it on regular popular songs, but I would probably buy anything I like for $2.
    ^this

I'd love to get some acts that i haven't seen in the game yet (the above but swap out floyd with prince) enough to pay extra (for example, i payed the 40 bucks for acdc when i really only wanted 6 of the songs).

acts like cake or bush,for example, while i'm a big fan, i just can't justify paying above the standard price for...
  • MysteryManMysteryMan Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Nope. It sets a dangerous precedent, and besides, there are literally hundreds of great songs at $2 already.
  • aperfectorestesaperfectorestes Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    GH songs were originally more than $2 apiece as well. Rock Band set the standard for the $2 song.

Don't even get me started on the laughable prices of the DJ Hero songs. I haven't played the game, but the DLC is insanely priced.
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3559118 said:
    I elected not to put a poll on here because lots of people would just answer the poll and then not comment in the thread. I wanted actual responses. :)
    Which is it Dave...?

:p
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    The answer is yes, although it would have to be quite the special song. Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt. 1 is the best example of such a song for me, one I'd pay $3 for without hesitation. You know a song is special when it's your most played song on iTunes by a healthy margin despite being nearly 10 minutes long. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    davidshek;3559118 said:
    Sorry, I added a poll! I'll continue to encourage people to vocalize their responses beyond a yes or no answer through. So far it doesn't look like we'll have to worry about a lack of people willing to speak up about this on both sides of the fence.

And bless your heart for starting this thread. I cannot thank you enough.
  • PaperMario21PaperMario21 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    absolutely.
    I would pay for most of the dream theater's library, $3 a song because they're mostly long and complex.

that doesn't mean I wouldn't pay $3 for short songs, I'd get every single Zeppelin song @ $3 per track, Rolling Stones, sure.

there are lot of songs I'd pay $3 for,
    but blondie the first one to break the trend?
    c'mon...
    edited March 2010
    HMXHenry;3559270 said:
    Sorry, I added a poll! I'll continue to encourage people to vocalize their responses beyond a yes or no answer through. So far it doesn't look like we'll have to worry about a lack of people willing to speak up about this on both sides of the fence.

And bless your heart for starting this thread. I cannot thank you enough.
    Sorry David, for the inappropriate jab.

I didn't know....:o
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I just have to want it bad enough and I'll spend the clams.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    Yes, of course I would. Why? - because it's the right song. If it were the wrong song I would not buy it. The right song for me would have to have some emotional attachment. Something I like very much. I'd never take a flyer on a $3 song like I have with $2 songs and moreso $1 songs. I'm not sure what the song is yet but if I figure it out I'll let you know.
  • hawkofvahawkofva Rocks You Like A Hurricane
    edited March 2010
    Sure, but it obviously depends on the song. I know and listen to Blondie's Atomic on a regular enough basis that I'd love to play the bassline in Rock Band, so I'm seriously considering getting it, but if it were, say, Davidshek's songs at the $3 rate, no I probably wouldn't even consider it. (No offense, of course, David.)
  • wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I probably would not.

Part of it is I don't want to support a price increase in DLC. The other part is GREED is the only reason the songs most songs would be priced $3, and I don't respect or support that either.

Currently, the two songs that are $3 are not $3 because they have any objective value above any of the available songs. They are not $3 because it was extra work to chart them compared to other songs. They are not $3 because they are more well-known or well-respected than other songs in the marketplace.

They are $3 because EMI thinks that they deserve more money for their music, and I can't get behind that. If the music industry suddenly decided that $25 was the new "standard" price for albums, then I wouldn't support it, and I would get the music through other means.

(Side note: this whole discussion also highlights one of the main problems with downloadable content. There is only one way to get these songs, and it is through the official source. Furthermore, there is no stock, so there will never be sales. If I find a price for a CD at a store to be too much, I can always wait for a sale, or buy it used, or check another store. That's why $3 per song is troubling to me, since there is no other way)

I would, however pay $3 for a song that was particularly long. I know there are many here that think that length is a poor judge of the worth of a song, but why? Would you buy a full-priced album that was only 20 minutes long? On that same token, double albums generally cost more, because you get more music. A song over 7 or so minutes is about the same length as two regular songs, and hence takes roughly twice as much work to chart. It also provides, on average, more entertainment time. So that makes it worth it. The songs that are $3, objectively, not worth any more than any other song available in the store.
  • JoshuaB81285JoshuaB81285 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    For certain songs that I love, I would have no problem shilling out $3 a song. It would just have to be one of my favorite songs for sure, I wouldn't buy EVERYTHING that was released at $3, that's for sure.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I doubt much of anyone would not be willing to pay $3 for their perfect song. I think a better question to ask is "What would make a song worth a price of $3 instead of $1 or $2?" which is posed in this thread created by LuigiHann. Another more pertinent question might be "Would a frequently used price point of $3 significantly affect your DLC purchasing habits?"

The end result of a Yes/No poll for this poll's particular question does not strike me as ultimately worthwhile.
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited March 2010
    ^I definitely would buy a LOT LESS DLC if $3 became the standard or used too frequently. :mad:

*spits*
    edited March 2010
    Starfleet_Rambo;3559563 said:
    ^I definitely would buy a LOT LESS DLC if $3 became the standard or used too frequently. :mad:

*spits*
    Likewise, Morroco Mole!

Including spitting.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    Magnet;3559555 said:
    I doubt much of anyone would not be willing to pay $3 for their perfect song. I think a better question to ask is "What would make a song worth a price of $3 instead of $1 or $2?" which is posed in this thread created by LuigiHann. Another more pertinent question might be "Would a frequently used price point of $3 significantly affect your DLC purchasing habits?"

The end result of a Yes/No poll for this poll's particular question does not strike me as ultimately worthwhile.
    Thanks, that's why I made the poll the way I did. It'd be kind of nice if my thread was linked to in this thread's opening post, so that people who voted "Yes" could then go and qualify/clarify that vote via the other poll.

In a flat Yes/No poll, I can imagine a lot of people either reluctantly clicking Yes, or voting No despite admitting to themselves that it might be a Yes under certain circumstances.

I do imagine that HMX is interested in this poll as a bit of "should we allow the $3 price point to exist" sort of data, and to that end I'm sure it is relevant to know what percentage of people might sometimes buy $3, and how many never will.
  • captainsamuscaptainsamus Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    If all DLC was $3, I probably would buy less. But I honestly don't see why people are outraged over this. $2.00 has been the standard for a couple of years, but there's no reason to think it should stay this way forever.

If you're going to stop buying anything that increases in price over time, you might as well give away your posessions now and become a monk.
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited March 2010
    Maybe, it would give me great pause though.
    edited March 2010
    bmaninc;3559684 said:
    Maybe, it would give me great pause though.
    It even looks like a Rock Band instrument logo.
  • weeyooweeyoo Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I voted no, but it honestly depends on the length of the song, and wether I like the song/band enough to want it. For example, if it is a Between the Buried and Me song that is about 9-10 minutes long, I will definately buy it for $3, only because BTBAM are the best.
  • DerTommissarDerTommissar Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I would easily pay $3 for "In A Big Country" by Big Country. I've been asking for that song since day 1 and $3 would be much cheaper than the $40 that I will most likely be shelling out on Band Hero to play it.