The Main Drag (Song Sorting)

RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I didn't see a thread on this, and I thought I would ask:

Does anyone know why the Main Drag tracks off Yours As Fast As Mine don't sort properly?

For example:

Yesterday, I downloaded "Car Windows" and it sorted beneath "A Jagged Gorgeous Winter" as an album.

On the flip side, when the RBN opened, I downloaded "How We'd Look On Paper", "Love During Wartime", "What's Your Favorite Dinosaur?" and "Dove Nets" and they sorted together (excluding "A Jagged Gorgeous Winter").

So, now when I sort by band, I have all the You Are Underwater songs as an album, 2 songs from Yours As Fast As Mine and 4 songs from Yours As Fast As Mine.

Maybe I'm the only one who cares, but I was so looking forward to playing the Main Drag's complete albums.

Comments

• kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    Oh jeez, I bet there's an "As" in lowercase somewhere messing things up
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3562794 said:
    Oh jeez, I bet there's an "As" in lowercase somewhere messing things up
    Really? Something like that can cause the songs to sort separately?
    edited March 2010
    RockBandRocker;3562800 said:
    Really? Something like that can cause the songs to sort separately?
    Yup. Rock Band sees Yours as Fast as Mine differently from Yours As Fast As Mine
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3562804 said:
    Yup. Rock Band sees Yours as Fast as Mine differently from Yours As Fast As Mine
    That's interesting.

I wonder if that's something that HMX can fix.
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    No. That is not the reason.
    The reason is the years. A Jagged Gorgeous Winter is listed as 2008 while every other track from Yours as Fast as Mine is listed as 2007.
    edited March 2010
    dman2309;3562815 said:
    The reason is the years. A Jagged Gorgeous Winter is listed as 2008 while every other track from Yours as Fast as Mine is listed as 2007.
    But, "Car Windows" sorted with "A Jagged Gorgeous Winter" and I believe it's year listed is '07.
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    RockBandRocker;3562821 said:
    But, "Car Windows" sorted with "A Jagged Gorgeous Winter" and I believe it's year listed is '07.
    Wow. That is strange then. I really thought it was the years listed. Then again I have Dove Nets and HWLOP and they sort together but separate from AJGW.

Weird.
    edited March 2010
    dman2309;3562827 said:
    Wow. That is strange then. I really thought it was the years listed. Then again I have Dove Nets and HWLOP and they sort together but separate from AJGW.

Weird.
    Yeah...

I have ALL the Main Drag songs (I like the band :D), and they sort out like I mentioned in my first post.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    Yep, the problem is the capitalization of "As"

"Car Windows", "Swine Houses" has it as "Yours As Fast As Mine"
    "How We'd Look On Paper", "What's Your Favorite Dinosaur?", "Love During Wartime", "Dove Nets" has it as "Yours as Fast as Mine"

And no, there is nothing HMX can do about it now.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    Boo. Wish testers would catch stuff like that

Hopefully RB3's album sorting will simply not be case-sensitive. Seems like that could be patched into RB2 but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    edited March 2010
    Casto21;3562967 said:
    Yep, the problem is the capitalization of "As"

"Car Windows", "Swine Houses" has it as "Yours As Fast As Mine"
    "How We'd Look On Paper", "What's Your Favorite Dinosaur?", "Love During Wartime", "Dove Nets" has it as "Yours as Fast as Mine"

And no, there is nothing HMX can do about it now.
    Well, that's a pisser. :(
    LuigiHann;3563008 said:
    Boo. Wish testers would catch stuff like that.
    ^ This!

They also didn't catch that "Mechanical Love" from In This Moment has the wrong album art (but that's a complaint for a different day).
    edited March 2010
    There's really no way to catch the difference in the album title, we can't load it into the main song list or anything.
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3563032 said:
    There's really no way to catch the difference in the album title, we can't load it into the main song list or anything.
    Ahh...that makes sense.

But one would think there would be a way to keep things those little things in check (especially in this case in which it's from a HMX band that has a song on the RB2 disc).
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Harmonix can fix it. They can patch A Jagged Gorgeous Winter.
    edited March 2010
    But then wouldn't "Car Windows" be the odd man out?
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited March 2010
    LuigiHann;3563008 said:
    Hopefully RB3's album sorting will simply not be case-sensitive. Seems like that could be patched into RB2 but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    That would be a really good way to handle this issue. The game displays it in all-caps anyway so the fact that it differentiates them into different albums based on minor capitalization inconsistencies is unfortunate.

To those who want to see what the album titles are listed as, check out The Music page, sort by artist, and look at the album info for the pertinent songs by The Main Drag. The inconsistent capitalization is easily visible there.
    edited March 2010
    Magnet;3563124 said:
    That would be a really good way to handle this issue. The game displays it in all-caps anyway so the fact that it differentiates them into different albums based on minor capitalization inconsistencies is unfortunate.
    You know...I think I mentioned this once before about a couple songs in RB.

I remember now...it was after an update, I noticed that the David Bowie songs off of Ziggy Stardust were no longer together. And that "Breakout" from Foo Fighters didn't group with "Learn To Fly" when imported from LEGO: RB.

I know it seems trivial to most, but the sorting out of multiple songs by the same artist by albums, is something I love about RB.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited March 2010
    dman2309;3562815 said:
    If if that were the case that wouldn't be the reason because Wolfmother's "Joker and the Thief" is listed as 2006, while the rest off of their self titled is listed 2005, and they all sort correctly.
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    LuigiHann;3563008 said:

That's a great idea, maybe you should get the HMX devs to hear this out because it would really work well for albums that are mix and matched.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited March 2010
    LuigiHann;3563008 said:

How? In order to test that, you need to be able to own the track, which you can't do till it's for sale.

Is it perhaps simply because they're from RBN? Or does it not work that way for other RBN songs?
    edited March 2010
    Bront20;3563269 said:

Is it perhaps simply because they're from RBN? Or does it not work that way for other RBN songs?
    "Push Push (Lady Lightning)" by Bang Camaro sorts with "Rock Rebellion" and "Pleasure (Pleasure)" as part of the Bang Camaro album.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    Bront20;3563269 said:
    How? In order to test that, you need to be able to own the track, which you can't do till it's for sale.
    I don't know much about how the testing process goes, but is there no way to see the album title and stuff on the creators site? Obviously the tiny differences won't stand out very much, but I would think one could check it against other songs by the same artist to see if there are album matches (or mismatches)
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited March 2010
    What also bothers me is that the songs are not in the same order than on the album! I want to use the "Play All" option and play the album from beginning to end, but that's also not possible. Guess we have to do that all manually. :(
    edited March 2010
    Coldplayer;3563341 said:
    What also bothers me is that the songs are not in the same order than on the album! I want to use the "Play All" option and play the album from beginning to end, but that's also not possible. Guess we have to do that all manually. :(
    This is another thing that can be set for the RBN tracks, so they show up correctly in the album order.

This is one thing that we cannot check at all though because the track number isn't listed anywhere and I could see a lot of people not filling that field in correctly.
    edited March 2010
    RockBandRocker;3563015 said:
    They also didn't catch that "Mechanical Love" from In This Moment has the wrong album art (but that's a complaint for a different day).
    I don't think testers should be responsible to go off and research every band, checking the proper year and album art. Some emphasis has to be one the author/uploader knowing the band.
    GNFfhqwhgads;3563068 said:
    Harmonix can fix it. They can patch A Jagged Gorgeous Winter.
    No they can't. No patching RBN songs.
    LuigiHann;3563300 said:
    I don't know much about how the testing process goes, but is there no way to see the album title and stuff on the creators site? Obviously the tiny differences won't stand out very much, but I would think one could check it against other songs by the same artist to see if there are album matches (or mismatches)
    You can see the album title on the song page, but you don't see it with the other songs. So one would have to had compared the album names or remembered/spotted the difference of 'As' to 'as'. And while I'm sure some testers casually look at this data, you don't expect a member of the actual band to get it wrong.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Casto21;3563389 said:
    No they can't. No patching RBN songs.
    Alright, you go into the RBN store and dig around for A Jagged Gorgeous Winter.

And yeah, to the guy who mentioned Car Windows, forgot about that one.

Also, for the year people, don't forget one of Dr. Feelgood's track is from 20 years before.
    edited March 2010
    GNFfhqwhgads;3563593 said:
    Alright, you go into the RBN store and dig around for A Jagged Gorgeous Winter.
    Sorry, misread your post.

Patching just "A Jagged Gorgeous Winter" wouldn't fix the problem though because there have been RBN songs that are already released with the different album names.
    edited March 2010
    Casto21;3563389 said:
    I don't think testers should be responsible to go off and research every band, checking the proper year and album art. Some emphasis has to be one the author/uploader knowing the band.
    That's true.
  • CCDaDonCCDaDon Headliner
    edited March 2010
    GNFfhqwhgads;3563593 said:
    Also, for the year people, don't forget one of Dr. Feelgood's track is from 20 years before.
    Only in the music store. In game it's perfectly dated.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    If I'm not mistaken...RBN testers can only playtest/review one song at a time. If this is the case, how would they ever notice if RBN songs don't sort 100% correct if they don't have access to other songs from the artist?

Also, while the charters/authors should do some research, they are also working with bands/labels when making the songs...as I would guess that copyrights would come into play if they used the wrong images.

So if a band/label comes to them with certain song info, they have to go with that.