The one problem with putting songs out through RBN

kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
This is something I had been thinking about before a bit but I didn't see evidence of it until just today. It's not really a big thing, but it's a thing.

The problem is timed releases. As in, they're pretty much impossible.

A Day To Remember's new video for "I'm Made Of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?" is debuting next week on MTV2. This has been pushed pretty heavily by their respective sites and by MTV2.

Now, the song itself has been floating around in various stages of RBN testing for maybe a month or so. I imagine it would be good for sales of this track (and, by proxy, sales of other RBN tracks) if it were able to coincide with the video premiere. If the track had been done in-house by HMX, it would have been possible to set it up like that.

As it stands, the song just moved to Peer Review. To me, it's ready for the store. It needs 7 more reviews though so we'll see. Maybe it works out right this time, maybe not. However it won't always work out the right way.

I wonder is if it's possible for labels/bands to try to put the tracks in wayyy early so they finish early and then HMX can hold them in limbo until a specified date...

Comments

• vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    you know....knowing this kinda thing would make some of us get around to reviewing it faster

but its the artists/authors job to promote the fact they need it done for reasons like this to those who do the reviewing/testing so that it can get done in a timely manner

that and they need to be willing to help others by giving them reviews/tests too or they can just sit in line like everyone else who doesnt help :)
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    Since the RBN songs have rather "quiet" releases overall, I think in most cases a band could just get it put up however early it gets put up, and then just officially announce it on the date that they want the announcement to coincide with
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    vedis;3562854 said:
    you know....knowing this kinda thing would make some of us get around to reviewing it faster

but its the artists/authors job to promote the fact they need it done for reasons like this to those who do the reviewing/testing so that it can get done in a timely manner

that and they need to be willing to help others by giving them reviews/tests too or they can just sit in line like everyone else who doesnt help :)
    Yeah, definitely agree with all of these things. I think with the right heads-up we can get things done on-time, potentially early even. Which is why I wonder if they can be held in limbo after approval.
    edited March 2010
    LuigiHann;3562862 said:
    Since the RBN songs have rather "quiet" releases overall, I think in most cases a band could just get it put up however early it gets put up, and then just officially announce it on the date that they want the announcement to coincide with
    That is a good point. I wonder how long the RBN releases stay under the radar though. With so many labels and great independent artists on board, it's going to pick up.
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3562868 said:
    That is a good point. I wonder how long the RBN releases stay under the radar though. With so many labels and great independent artists on board, it's going to pick up.
    apprently we have seen AT LEAST 50k sales from rbn songs this last week alone, so i dont think its exactly very hidden, and thats just from leaderboard counts
    edited March 2010
    vedis;3562878 said:
    apprently we have seen AT LEAST 50k sales from rbn songs this last week alone, so i dont think its exactly very hidden, and thats just from leaderboard counts
    oh wow, that's awesome!
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3562889 said:
    oh wow, that's awesome!
    yeah,a nd as ive told others

thats just 50k "unique" entries into the leaderboards

it doesnt count people like me who only play with nofail on(habit due to kids, or the fact i use vocals mode only as a juke box, its not just a game after all!) or who play offline
    edited March 2010
    vedis;3562909 said:
    yeah,a nd as ive told others

thats just 50k "unique" entries into the leaderboards

it doesnt count people like me who only play with nofail on(habit due to kids, or the fact i use vocals mode only as a juke box, its not just a game after all!) or who play offline
    Wow. I honestly didn't expect that. I thought maybe it would take a month or so to get noticed and take off. So awesome.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited March 2010
    The only surefire way for an artist to correctly announce a song's RBN release date well in advance is to get very lucky. The signs point to Harmonix not holding songs in quarantine any longer than they need to be. Right now the quarantine system is designed for a final inspection of content (and legal clearance if necessary), and it's not set up with timing releases taken into consideration.

Rather than announce a date, an artist might want to announce that it's "coming to the RBN soon," followed by another announcement once it gets put up in the store.
    edited March 2010
    Magnet;3562944 said:
    The only surefire way for an artist to correctly announce a song's RBN release date well in advance is to get very lucky. The signs point to Harmonix not holding songs in quarantine any longer than they need to be. Right now the quarantine system is designed for a final inspection of content (and legal clearance if necessary), and it's not set up with timing releases taken into consideration.

Rather than announce a date, an artist might want to announce that it's "coming to the RBN soon," followed by another announcement once it gets put up in the store.
    Yeah, that would work for some situations. I'm just saying it'll be hard to do something like put out tracks from a new album on the same day as the release. For my money, the best bet would probably be to get the tracks into playtesting a month in advance and stay on top of it with any fixes. Optimally you'd get it into peer review a week away from your expected release date and pray you don't have anything major to fix. Then you gotta hope you get your 8 reviews in that week.
  • Mr. TateMr. Tate Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    This is one of the first things I pointed out when the review system was announced. For a number of reasons, I think over time the review system needs to be retuned.
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I was thinking about the exact same thing.

Bands might want to put their entire album out to coincide with the albums release on the day.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3562850 said:

The problem is timed releases. As in, they're pretty much impossible.

Now, the song itself has been floating around in various stages of RBN testing for maybe a month or so.
    I hear ya. My first song passed peer review early in February IIRC... but we had to wait on the whole *store* to open. (Pretty obvious we would've wanted it to pop by 2/14, right?)
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    From what I've read, one of the problems facing the peer review system now and in the near future is lack of reviews/reviewers. There simply doesn't appear to be enough reviewers to handle the load.
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3563277 said:
    I hear ya. My first song passed peer review early in February IIRC... but we had to wait on the whole *store* to open. (Pretty obvious we would've wanted it to pop by 2/14, right?)
    definitely, would have been perfect!
    cherokeesam;3563279 said:
    From what I've read, one of the problems facing the peer review system now and in the near future is lack of reviews/reviewers. There simply doesn't appear to be enough reviewers to handle the load.
    Well this is an issue yes, but I think the group CAN band together and get a certain song or two out the door quickly. Maybe too fast though, plus it would be hard to do the album release thing because the tracks would trickle out separately.
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3563373 said:

Well this is an issue yes, but I think the group CAN band together and get a certain song or two out the door quickly. Maybe too fast though, plus it would be hard to do the album release thing because the tracks would trickle out separately.
    if the author/artist isnt helping review/test other songs, then they can sit in limbo as far as im concerned, dont care how popular or important the song is to get out by a certain date.

i honestly think none of this would even be an issue if everyone who was authoring songs helped in the test/review process.
  • ig0tTouReTTesig0tTouReTTes Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    KT you just made my night..that's my favorite ADTR track EVER. I LOVE RBN! :D

Oh and yeah i agree with the topic too
    edited March 2010
    ig0tTouReTTes;3563529 said:
    KT you just made my night..that's my favorite ADTR track EVER. I LOVE RBN! :D

Oh and yeah i agree with the topic too
    I know! I was psyched to see it pop up :D There should be more ADTR coming too
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Wait, there's an MTV that plays music videos?
    edited March 2010
    NoThru22;3563742 said:
    haha yes! MTV2 plays videos

about half and half with shows
    edited March 2010
    NoThru22;3563742 said:
    Gather 'round, chilluns, and I'll tell you of the old days, when there weren't no reality televisions, and MTV played music videos, with bands playing music, and they did it ALL DAY LONG, except sometimes when Kurt Loder and Kevin Seal and Lisa Kennedy opened up their holy mouths to speak TRUTHS.

You've stopped listening already, haven't you? Well, go f*** yourselves and fix me a manhattan. Grandpa needs to stop feeling.
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3563873 said:
    Gather 'round, chilluns, and I'll tell you of the old days, when there weren't no reality televisions, and MTV played music videos, with bands playing music, and they did it ALL DAY LONG, except sometimes when Kurt Loder and Kevin Seal and Lisa Kennedy opened up their holy mouths to speak TRUTHS.

You've stopped listening already, haven't you? Well, go f*** yourselves and fix me a manhattan. Grandpa needs to stop feeling.
    i remember the day the first video aired.....

it was a beautiful day

what have they done to our mtv!
    edited March 2010
    I missed the *first* day because I was sent away to school. When I came back home, there was cable for the first time. I explored all those new shiny buttons on the set-top-box. And all of a sudden, BLAOW. Judas Priest, You Got Another Thing Coming.

First video I ever saw. Blew my tiny baby mind.

Kids today, they have no effing clue what that all meant.

I'm actually hoping that RBN might have that kind of effect on somebody.
  • filcool1234filcool1234 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3563279 said:
    Hell, at 100$/year, pretty sure there's not alot of them out there. I'd be glad to be a reviewer, but hey, I guess they want us to pay to help?
    Make it free, or at least less costly, cause some of us would LOVE to help, but not to pay that kind of HUGE amount of cash.
    edited March 2010
    jawillroy;3563890 said:
    I missed the *first* day because I was sent away to school. When I came back home, there was cable for the first time. I explored all those new shiny buttons on the set-top-box. And all of a sudden, BLAOW. Judas Priest, You Got Another Thing Coming.

First video I ever saw. Blew my tiny baby mind.

Kids today, they have no effing clue what that all meant.

I'm actually hoping that RBN might have that kind of effect on somebody.
    i remember it clearly...

rocking to the tunes of video killed the radio star.....

those were the days

this is the first time ive felt old in a while
    edited March 2010
    "I'm Made Of Wax, Larry..." has 6 reviews so far :) 2 more to go! Looks like it might make it in time.
    edited March 2010
    vedis;3563900 said:
    those were the days
    Nostalgia sucks. ONWARD!
  • TKSTKS Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3563989 said:
    "I'm Made Of Wax, Larry..." has 6 reviews so far :) 2 more to go! Looks like it might make it in time.
    yay hope it comes out soon. I love that song and band and it'll be great for whenever I have other people over to play rb because basically all of the people that like to play rb with me in my group of friends love adtr. I'm seeing them in concert on April 1st too.
    edited March 2010
    TKS;3564010 said:
    yay hope it comes out soon. I love that song and band and it'll be great for whenever I have other people over to play rb because basically all of the people that like to play rb with me in my group of friends love adtr. I'm seeing them in concert on April 1st too.
    Same here. Except I think I'm seeing them a few days afterwards.
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3563989 said:
    its on my to do list tonight, so 1 more if i dont fail it :P