"Top Back"....are you kidding me?

SequenceFSequenceF Opening Act
edited June 2010 in The Rock Band Network
This has to be the best song on Rock Band - I downloaded it tonight was absolutely blown away not only by the song itself but the amazing job someone did on charting the vocals!

Even Harmonix usually skimps out and makes any rap song talkies, but someone took the time and actually made vocal charting for hip hop that actually works damn good. The song itself is amazing too - good flow to the lyrics and by the second time around I caught on and had a blast.

Even if you're not a fan of hip hop, this is a song that nobody should be missing out on. Again, I'm f'ing speechless!

Comments

• sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    It's only good because it's hilarious to play on Rock Band. Music-wise I wouldn't be caught dead listening to it.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    siee;3565154 said:
    It's only good because it's hilarious to play on Rock Band. Music-wise I wouldn't be caught dead listening to it.
    Gogo thread derailment.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    What I think is especially interesting is the pitched vocals instead of what people were likely expecting to be all talkies. But it encourages you to actually try and rap instead of just mumbling.
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Very enjoyable indeed
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited March 2010
    I bought "Top Back" just to have something in the Urban category (which it didn't make in RB2, so I'm hoping that RB3 does have one), and yeah, it surprised me with how awesome it is.
  • nanowerxnanowerx Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I have been enjoying both Top Back and Dirty South Rock. I hope these both do well saleswise. Maybe it can pave the way for some Outkast or Roots, showing that hiphop does work in this game.
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Top Back is a lot of fun, and this is definitely my wife's kind of music. I was playing it the other night and she came dancing into the room.

Generally, she stays out of the room when I play RB, I was quite surprised. Then she wanted me to hook up the mic so she could sing(? rap?) it.

Let's get more hip hop into this game!
  • S1ckH4ndsS1ckH4nds YouTube Guru
    edited March 2010
    Top Back is probably my favorite song in RBN that I didn't personally work on. Ever since first playtesting it a few months ago, I fell in love with it all around. Kudos to our pals at RhythmAuthors for taking a chance on something outside the box and doing such a bang-up job with it! I'm also really impressed with the work they did on the venue, too.
  • ASPRonASPRon Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I love Top back and i am happy others are bringing some Hip Hop to the game !
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited March 2010
    Damn it, damn it, damn it...

I hate you all!

Friggin wallet is smokin!
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    And this is why Rock fans should show more sympathy towards Urban music.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Would never have given this the time of day as a RB main release DLC... however as it was RBN i could Demo it which after doing so it became a download as i was really impressed with how fun it was to play in a genre i really dont bother with normally. It was also cheap - a sure fire winner its been with the forum regulars, you just have to love when a dark horse comes out of nowhere and gets almost unanimous backing from anyone who gave it a go.
  • SequenceFSequenceF Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Shows what a cool bunch we really all are - open to new types of music and appreciative of all genres.

Checked out a thread here about some instrumental jazz song that's in playtesting too, looks amazing. RBN has to be the best idea Harmonix has ever had.

Bring on the pop, the jazz, the urban, or whatever - my interest in RB is BACK!
  • dmbdawdmbdaw Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I love "Top Back" it is a fun song! Have to check out the other one mentioned in this thread.
    edited March 2010
    SequenceF;3565624 said:
    Shows what a cool bunch we really all are - open to new types of music and appreciative of all genres.

Checked out a thread here about some instrumental jazz song that's in playtesting too, looks amazing. RBN has to be the best idea Harmonix has ever had.

Bring on the pop, the jazz, the urban, or whatever - my interest in RB is BACK!
    I think you're referring to Footloose and Fancy Free by Bill Bruford's Earthworks, which has been approved and is on the Xbox Live Marketplace website, but isn't in the store yet. I've downloaded it, and it's a blast on everything. Especially the saxophone vocal part.

RBN is the best thing to happen to rhythm games since the first Guitar Hero, and has single-handedly revitalized the genre for many, including me. It's giving us new and under-used genres (Jazz, Urban, Pop,) new challenges (Sax Vocals, absolutely insane drum charts and some absolutely awesome guitar solos,) and a new level of content delivery (new song(s) pretty much every day,) that has really bought me back to the game (I'm playing pretty much every day now, and am constantly monitoring new RBN releases.)
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    nanowerx;3565333 said:
    Maybe it can pave the way for some Outkast or Roots, showing that hiphop does work in this game.
    I'd kill for some OutKast. I hope HMX would consider Hey Ya! for RB3. Imagine how well that would go over.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I got the demo just to see how rap would work....I bought the full song immediately after playing it. The drums are really fun, I got dirty south rock too but I like Top Back better. Hopefully we will see some more soon.
  • BLARGCOWBLARGCOW Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    i laughed when i saw this song on rbn but i dont have a problem with it
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    I personally really don't like this song, but I like what it's doing for the genre's representation in RB. Pitch charting is a great step forward, some rappers do rap with melody and it's great the folks at RA acknowledged that.
  • saosao Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I am a fan of rap/hip hop as well and got it right away. Bought the Dirty South Rock earlier but haven't hopped on live yet to download it.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited March 2010
    gettin mine all the time
  • AnayalataAnayalata Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I don't really listen to hip hop/rap except for a few gems but I actually found this song to be really damn fun on drums. They always have good rhythm going on in the background and I've always wanted to play some of it.
  • OsperoOspero Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    That thread title is a bit misleading now, isn't it? ;)

On-topic: I was quite surprised too. While the "guitar" chart isn't exactly re-inventing the wheel and does have a lot of repetition, it's still fun to play (and a good exercise for the fret hand to boot). Kudos.
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Ospero;3566990 said:
    That thread title is a bit misleading now, isn't it? ;)

On-topic: I was quite surprised too. While the "guitar" chart isn't exactly re-inventing the wheel and does have a lot of repetition, it's still fun to play (and a good exercise for the fret hand to boot). Kudos.
    Guitar and Bass is boring as hell don't kid yourself.
    Vocals and Drums are the only things good for this song.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    Guitar and Bass are only "boring" on songs if you let them be.
    edited March 2010
    siee;3567042 said:
    Thread derailment attempt number 2. You're gonna have to try harder than that.
  • OsperoOspero Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    siee;3567042 said:
    Bass, I agree. Guitar: I didn't find it boring, and so for me it isn't. If your thoughts on the matter are different, fine, but please don't try to impose your opinion on me, thank you very much. I enjoy exercises like these every once in a while (maybe because, as a former piano player, I'm accustomed to stuff like that).
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3567218 said:
    Guitar and Bass are only "boring" on songs if you let them be.
    "So Watcha' Want" would like a word with you. ;)

I get what you're saying but that song's guitar/bass chart is just plain painful.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    It's a fun song I think. People at this party on Saturday loved it. Especially the house rattling bass.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    siee;3567042 said:
    You must not play Expert Guitar.

I blew out my freakin' wrist chasing frets on this song.