Am I the only one that's a little peeved at the RBN difficulty tiering?

DeNiceDeNice Unsigned
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
First, let me start off by saying that I LOVE the RBN. I already bought 45 songs from there and with new bands signing on by the day, I'll be happily broke for weeks. That being said... There's just one thing that's been bothering me.

The song difficulty rankings. I mean, they're definitely accurate as in each instument's difficulty ranking, but when put together with the other songs available like normal DLC & disc songs, it seems that nearly all the RBN songs are all at the bottom of their respective tier lists. For example, my game's guitar Impossible tier starts off like...

IMPOSSIBLE
He Sleeps in a Grove - RBN
Trippolette - RBN
Mordecai - RBN
My Last Words - DLC
Fade Away - RBN
Descend into the Eternal Pits... - RBN
(the 3 Steve Vai songs) - RBN
Battle Royale - RBN
The Metal - DLC
Get Ready 2 Rokk - DLC

None of the RBN songs get off the beginning foot of the their tiers, which I'm pretty sure can't be right. I can definitely see Steve Vai, Trippolette, Fade Away & Descend being ranked towards the middle of the guitar Impossible tier easy. All said songs are CLEARLY harder than The Metal (but then again, that's more of an issue of The Metal being in Impossible period). So, is that just a RBN thing where they just couple the RBN songs together since they're not made like traditional DLC or what? I'm not trying to complain, just to see how they go about placing these songs into the database.

Comments

• Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    There is nothing in RBN tier rankings to differentiate between two songs of the same tier.
  • hiddenzombie013hiddenzombie013 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Yeah it appears RBN songs aren't given a number that allows them to placed in a specific spot in a tier. They are given just the lowest, most basic ranking. The reason songs like My Last Words appear in the middle are because they also have the lowest ranking in that tier, and songs that have the same ranking within their tier are alphabatized by band name. Look at the songs you listed:

IMPOSSIBLE
    He Sleeps in a Grove - RBN (Amberian Dawn)
    Trippolette - RBN (Andrew Busch)
    Mordecai - RBN (Between the Buried and Me)
    My Last Words - DLC (Megadeth)
    Fade Away - RBN (Of Last Resort)
    Descend into the Eternal Pits... - RBN (The Project MCMXCIX)
    (the 3 Steve Vai songs) - RBN (Steve Vai of course)
    Battle Royale - RBN (The World Alive)
    The Metal - DLC (Tenacious D)
    Get Ready 2 Rokk - DLC (Freezepop)

It's stupid (trust me, I'm in the EXACT same boat as you on this), but that's how it is.
  • whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Correct, when RBN songs get tiered, they just have an integer 0 - 6, so whatever tier they're in, they'll show up at the easiest part of that tier. For HMX-released songs, they get a decimal number so that songs can be ranked accordingly within the tier. Makes sense, because charters/playtesters have better things to do than to argue whether this song should be tiered between these two songs that they might not have ever played or those two songs that they might not have ever played.
  • thjimmythjimmy Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    hiddenzombie013;3568127 said:
    Yeah it appears RBN songs aren't given a number that allows them to placed in a specific spot in a tier. They are given just the lowest, most basic ranking. The reason songs like My Last Words appear in the middle are because they also have the lowest ranking in that tier, and songs that have the same ranking within their tier are alphabatized by band name. Look at the songs you listed:

IMPOSSIBLE
    He Sleeps in a Grove - RBN (Amberian Dawn)
    Trippolette - RBN (Andrew Busch)
    Mordecai - RBN (Between the Buried and Me)
    My Last Words - DLC (Megadeth)
    Fade Away - RBN (Of Last Resort)
    Descend into the Eternal Pits... - RBN (The Project MCMXCIX)
    (the 3 Steve Vai songs) - RBN (Steve Vai of course)
    Battle Royale - RBN (The World Alive)
    The Metal - DLC (Tenacious D)
    Get Ready 2 Rokk - DLC (Freezepop)

That's great insight into sorting. Thanks!