Anyone else notice this?

MacaqueOwnzUMacaqueOwnzU Unsigned
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
On Wavegroup's songs the charts are extremely good BUT the mixing is horrible. Take the ADTR song (one of if not the most anticipated song I had). Extremely fun to play but the vocals are so low you can't hear them over the instruments. Really? This needs to be corrected if Wavegroup is handling big names such as ADTR and Third Eye Blind.

Comments

• Nucks4cupNucks4cup Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I hope this isn't true. The song and band i have been looking forward to the most and they might have this issue. I will be extremely pissed if the mixes are that low. Enough that i will probably skip on buying any more wavegroup songs until they fix this issue
  • MacaqueOwnzUMacaqueOwnzU Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Believe me when I tell you Nucks it is that bad.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Nucks4cup;3568730 said:
    I hope this isn't true. The song and band i have been looking forward to the most and they might have this issue. I will be extremely pissed if the mixes are that low. Enough that i will probably skip on buying any more wavegroup songs until they fix this issue
    i didnt think it was overly bad, i just thought it was enough to warrent it failing so that the vocals could be raised more.
    as ive stated elsewhere, im still buying, but ill continue to be vocal about vocal mixes being up to what i consider acceptable.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I believe Harmonix owes me a refund for putting Little Black Backpack in their Harmonix Picks with such a horrible sound mix.

Also, using only anagrams for virtually unknown bands is really obnoxious.
  • TKSTKS Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    NoThru22;3568870 said:
    I believe Harmonix owes me a refund for putting Little Black Backpack in their Harmonix Picks with such a horrible sound mix.

Also, using only anagrams for virtually unknown bands is really obnoxious.
    ADTR = A Day to Remember.

not quite virtually unknown, sure they're not super hugely known to everybody of all audiences and ages but they've become one of the bigger bands within their genre/scene i geuss.
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited March 2010
    i contacted WG about this on their twitter and have gotten no response, but ya the mixing on some (not all) of the WG songs is pretty bad, the Stroke 9 songs, Indigo Friends, Semi Charmed Life, and the ADTR song are the worst.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    a Billboard charting band is virtually unknown :eek:

also for me, the ADTR vox are almost too loud

in fact you guys can blame me for that because that was the first thing I pointed out when testing... this was not just on my TV either, this song got play on 4 different sound setups
  • MacaqueOwnzUMacaqueOwnzU Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3569134 said:
    a Billboard charting band is virtually unknown :eek:

also for me, the ADTR vox are almost too loud

in fact you guys can blame me for that because that was the first thing I pointed out when testing... this was not just on my TV either, this song got play on 4 different sound setups
    Comparing this RBN version to the album version you can tell the vocals are low. Maybe you have better hearing who knows? But to me it seems some Wavegroup songs vocals are way too low to pass as being good.
  • AgentespioAgentespio Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    If WaveGroup messes up Third Eye Blind, I'm going to be incredibly pissed.

I agree that people need to start being vocal and stop pushing things through review.

I'll try contacting WaveGroup as well...
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    MacaqueOwnzU;3569222 said:
    Comparing this RBN version to the album version you can tell the vocals are low. Maybe you have better hearing who knows? But to me it seems some Wavegroup songs vocals are way too low to pass as being good.
    I'm not the only person who noted this. When my cousin and his girl were playing with me, they said I had to go tell the person who made it to raise the music up.
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ADTR vocals.
  • TKSTKS Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14A1PMdV0Qo

^ I don't know what you guys are talking about that one sounds fine to me. SCL was a little too low but this was fine.

seriously, I was just listening to it via the video above in a seperate window so I couldn't actually see it and I literally forgot that I was listening to it on a youtube video because it sounded just like how does it when I listen to it on itunes which I frequently do. i thought I was listening to it on itunes for a little bit there.
  • AngelsebAngelseb Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    TKS;3569345 said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14A1PMdV0Qo

^ I don't know what you guys are talking about that one sounds fine to me. SCL was a little too low but this was fine.

seriously, I was just listening to it via the video above in a seperate window so I couldn't actually see it and I literally forgot that I was listening to it on a youtube video because it sounded just like how does it when I listen to it on itunes which I frequently do. i thought I was listening to it on itunes for a little bit there.
    You can't compare youtube video with the sound of the game. I confirm for Stroke 9 that the sound is very too low compared to other music. Because of that, i don't buy any wavegroup music and unfortunately Third Eye Blind :(

P.S. : sorry that my english!
    edited March 2010
    Agentespio;3569226 said:
    If WaveGroup messes up Third Eye Blind, I'm going to be incredibly pissed.

I agree that people need to start being vocal and stop pushing things through review.

I'll try contacting WaveGroup as well...
    Confirmed messed up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqIeysh--KA
  • WaveGroupWillWaveGroupWill Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Hey everyone - We hear you! All of the songs are incredibly important to us, and we are alarmed to be hearing this kind of feedback. Some very experienced ears have been working on these songs, so we are testing everything to be sure we are creating the best experience possible. Be patient and stayed tuned, we'll let you know what we find ASAP.
  • AngelsebAngelseb Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    WaveGroupWill;3569658 said:
    Hey everyone - We hear you! All of the songs are incredibly important to us, and we are alarmed to be hearing this kind of feedback. Some very experienced ears have been working on these songs, so we are testing everything to be sure we are creating the best experience possible. Be patient and stayed tuned, we'll let you know what we find ASAP.
    Ah :) Thanks a lot for your answer and your attention. I hope you'll fix these songs quickly! :)
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    NoThru22;3568870 said:
    Yeah, or at least HMX could have made a 1 minute fully-playable demo available so you could try it before you bought it.
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited March 2010
    WaveGroupWill;3569658 said:
    thanks you guys you rock :D
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Semi-Charmed Life '09 is one of the worst mixes I've ever heard; the vocals are damn near inaudible. Also, the guitar chart is really obviously undercharted as well. And the vocals chart is sloppy.

Also, I'd like to think that a group as experienced as Wavegroup would have had better quality control than to let some of the mixes and charts for their songs make it to the RBN marketplace (aforementioned poor mixes, and the drum chart for Get The Hell Out Of Hear is so ridiculously undercharted it's not even funny.)
  • Nucks4cupNucks4cup Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Thank you wavegroup for responding. There are only 2 spots i have issues with. In this video at 18 seconds and 58 when Jeremy starts to scream. Everything is is awesome. Thanks again for everyone who works on these songs and tests them. you guys are doing a great job.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    NoThru22;3569473 said:
    That sounds pretty much fine to me. When both instruments have overdrive activated they start to overwhelm the vocals a little, but the vocals are always audible. Seems less like a technical issue and more like a personal preference issue to me. If anything they mixed the instruments a bit louder for the benefit of the players playing the instruments, and that's not rare at all in Rock Band.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    I was extremely disappointed.

I could not hear the "cough" near the end of the song in the countless times I replayed that section.

I don't even know how that is possible, I thought it was completely quiet at that time other than the cough!

That was probably my favorite part, that really sucks, even something as simple as the cough :(
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited March 2010
    ethicalpaul;3570104 said:
    Yeah, or at least HMX could have made a 1 minute fully-playable demo available so you could try it before you bought it.
    Inconceivable!
    edited March 2010
    I posted in another thread, "After buying Semi Charmed Life, I have to say that while the verses are almost as bad as Little Black Backpack, the refrain is markedly improved, perhaps because he is signing in a different voice. The drum charts for all of the songs in question have been excellent, including this one, which is more the shame."
  • TheFuture15TheFuture15 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Getting mix feedback is really tricky in RBN. I know with the songs I've done there hasn't been much feedback at all, and when I've given mix feedback I typically get a "it seems fine on my end" type of response. With the different amount of setups out there it really does make for tricky testing. I wonder if WG is doing their testing on premium sound setups? I do everything in totally normal stereo (out of an old TV) at first until I am happy with the mix and then try to do a digital test right before peer review to make sure I'm happy. I do agree that WG so far has done amazing charts but I think they also do a lot of internal playtesting which means they tend to whisk right through the RBN community...so maybe there isn't enough time there for them to get mix feedback.
  • Rawker31Rawker31 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I don't think the vocals are too big of a problem. What really bothers me in the ADTR song is how they didn't chart the drum roll at the end, but just made them single snares.
  • OsperoOspero Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    kiggidykev;3570851 said:
    Inconceivable!
    You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. :D

A little more on-topic: the only songs where I really noticed this issue were the Stroke 9 tracks. Good songs and all, but the vocals are way too quiet. I can't judge the ADTR song - I didn't have any obvious issues with it (no way as bad as Stroke 9), and I don't know the original.
  • JerkinatorJerkinator Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    ethicalpaul;3570104 said:
    You think, by now, we could trust them to release songs that aren't mixed like utter trash.

I know for me this song was an insta-buy. Why would I have needed to demo it? I love the song and regardless of how it was charted I was going to buy it. Wave Group did a horrendous job of mixing it, and they SHOULD re-mix it and allow it to be downloaded again.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited March 2010
    I downloaded the demo to "I'm Made of Wax, Larry..." by A Day To Remember and the audio clip that plays in the quickplay menu and the audio in the demo sounded right.

I purchased the full song and played it. It sounded fine to me.

(I should note I was playing on vocals, so may be they were amplified for that?)
  • MuffinFliegerMuffinFlieger Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I also downloaded semi-charmed life '09, knowing that people complained about the vocals beeing not loud enough. However, I wanted to check it out by myself:

While the vocals aren't as loud as i other RB songs, I think the major problem is the overall audio-quality! The song sounds like a really low-quality mp3 on my surround system. I played drums first and was disappointed to hear the (e.g.) crashes beeing so ... "dull". You can easily compare the quality by switching back and forth to another song in your song seletion menu. I really hope they will take more care in newer releases.
    AFAIK, there is no possibility to delete and re-uploead a song because of technical reasons...