The Dandy Warhols strange Tweet

a_bull_on_paradea_bull_on_parade Road Warrior
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
theDandyWarhols @ chrisroy All songs are 3 bucks on rock band. The band don't have a say in the matter. Rockband set the price and keep 70%!




Above is a quote from the official twitter of the Warhols, can somebody explain this to me? I feel as though The Warhols are being lied to by somebody, or i'm just not getting the RBN. :confused:

Comments

  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    For some reason, I can see the RBN people at EMI thinking "****! We didn't think they were gonna tell anyone what we told them!"
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited March 2010
    This is what I hate to see. Either he meant to say something like "All songs *from that label* are 3 bucks on rock band" or he was misinformed by somebody about how the RBN works. Either way someone reading that message who isn't all that familiar with Rock Band is going to be sorely misled.

    I'm sure it's true that the band doesn't have a say in the matter, but it's actually the label making the pricing decision, not Rock Band.
  • Fuelie79Fuelie79 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    As much as this pricing holds me back from considering purchasing songs from bands like The Dandy Warhols, I'm more than willing to spend $3 on "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" as well as any other Smashing Pumpkins song that they would make available.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Dandy Warhols = misinformed.
    Gee, wonder who could have misled them that way.....? :confused:
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    It's a good thing we've got a forum full of calm and collected people that could potentially respond to these tweets in a civilized manner to get more info and not simply jump to conclusions about anything.

    Because I'd laugh my butt off if it's just a miscommunication on the Warhols part and they misunderstood what was told them. But no, we should definately assume the worst.

    It's just like when a band mistakenly thinks that their songs are coming to Guitar Hero when it's actually Rock Band (including one band...Whitesnake?....that didn't knew they were coming to one but didn't even know which).
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited March 2010
    a_bull_on_parade;3569099 said:
    theDandyWarhols @ chrisroy All songs are 3 bucks on rock band. The band don't have a say in the matter. Rockband set the price and keep 70%!
    :
    TKS;3569101 said:
    I don't know who the Dandy Warhols are but they're wrong about that.
    Well, Rock Band didn't set the price at $3, but the band/label do only get 30% of the take, so as far as they are concerned, RB does keep 70%.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    Sayburr;3569618 said:
    Well, Rock Band didn't set the price at $3, but the band/label do only get 30% of the take, so as far as they are concerned, RB does keep 70%.
    They are free to think that RB gets 70%, but they would be wrong in that thinking.
  • Mr. TateMr. Tate Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3569521 said:
    Because I'd laugh my butt off if it's just a miscommunication on the Warhols part and they misunderstood what was told them.
    I can't see what's there to laugh about. It doesn't really matter who confused what with what, the problem is that there's a band that's telling people that the bands can't control the price tag and that the distributor is setting the price. Which is incredibly wrong and it can hurt RBN PR, since the whole point of the platform is to take control of your music.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Mr. Tate;3569633 said:
    I can't see what's there to laugh about.
    It's the fact that there's obviously been a miscommunication somewhere, and before anybody checks any further into it the "OMG $3" crowd immediately assumes it's once again more malicious behavior on the part of EMI.

    It's the return of Lastresortitis.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    a_bull_on_parade;3569099 said:
    theDandyWarhols @ chrisroy All songs are 3 bucks on rock band. The band don't have a say in the matter. Rockband set the price and keep 70%!




    Above is a quote from the official twitter of the Warhols, can somebody explain this to me? I feel as though The Warhols are being lied to by somebody, or i'm just not getting the RBN. :confused:
    Welcome to the music business.
  • xxpigxxxxpigxx Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I would pay $3 for Bohemian Like You
  • Mr. TateMr. Tate Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3569935 said:
    It's the fact that there's obviously been a miscommunication somewhere, and before anybody checks any further into it the "OMG $3" crowd immediately assumes it's once again more malicious behavior on the part of EMI.
    But that's beside the point. Since we know one thing for sure (that Harmonix is not setting the price tag) and since what the band said is the very opposite, there's a big PR problem. Who cares if EMI told them the truth or a lie, we can't know that, but the point is that the word of the band is that they are not in control of the price tag, which is exactly the opposite of what Harmonix is telling, truthfully, to the world.
  • ASPRonASPRon Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    This thread reminds me of a very cool punk song in the 70s.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    ASPRon;3569969 said:
    This thread reminds me of a very cool punk song in the 70s.
    Yep yep yep...

    And you thought that we were faking,
    That we were all just money making...

    \m/
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    ASPRon;3569969 said:
    This thread reminds me of a very cool punk song in the 70s.
    Ooh, they had twitter in the 70s? Those punks were on the cutting edge.
  • ASPRonASPRon Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Casto21;3569980 said:
    Ooh, they had twitter in the 70s? Those punks were on the cutting edge.
    No not the twitter part lol.
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I replied to them ...

    loflyinjett @TheDandyWarhols My band Ultra Saturday released
    songs for 99 cents, Nothing ever released for RB have been over $2, Including the Beatles
    4 minutes ago via web in reply to TheDandyWarhols
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Technically, the Blondie song was "released" because you could buy it through the XBLM and that was over $2.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    wesjett08;3570018 said:
    I replied to them ...

    loflyinjett @TheDandyWarhols My band Ultra Saturday released
    songs for 99 cents, Nothing ever released for RB have been over $2, Including the Beatles
    4 minutes ago via web in reply to TheDandyWarhols
    See, even that is a miscommunication. Songs have yet ot be priced at $2, but HMX has left the final decision on RBN songs to those doing the charting and releasing.
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I was rounding up obviously, For Wii owners they are 2$.

    And trust me I am aware of how the pricing works, I could have clicked the 240MSP button on our songs as well but I didn't :p
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Yes, you are aware, but I assume you were trying to make the readers of The Dandy Warhols' tweets aware :)
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Oh Yay, another uninformed band talking crap about something they know nothing about.

    Fail.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    And whose fault is it that they know nothing about it? hmm
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    ethicalpaul;3570229 said:
    And whose fault is it that they know nothing about it? hmm
    "Hmm" indeed. Who are you thinking the fault of it is? Without an indication of obvious intent by someone to mislead them, the fault is that of the band's to know what they're talking about. So Thom is correct in deriding them for their action.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    For anyone that hasn't noticed, the official Rock Band Network Twitter account has been in contact with The Dandy Warhols and explained that the label/author determines price, not RBN.

    They also said in an unrelated tweet that a lot of big names are going to be popping up in the RBN store in the next 24 hrs.
  • lucianolgrlucianolgr Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    They also said in an unrelated tweet that a lot of big names are going to be popping up in the RBN store in the next 24 hrs.
    Looking foward for that!
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    tdc002;3570266 said:
    For anyone that hasn't noticed, the official Rock Band Network Twitter account has been in contact with The Dandy Warhols and explained that the label/author determines price, not RBN.

    They also said in an unrelated tweet that a lot of big names are going to be popping up in the RBN store in the next 24 hrs.
    *cough* Drowning Pool
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Ultrace;3570262 said:
    "Hmm" indeed. Who are you thinking the fault of it is? Without an indication of obvious intent by someone to mislead them, the fault is that of the band's to know what they're talking about. So Thom is correct in deriding them for their action.
    Well, if a label decides to put a band's work into some new thing like RBN and doesn't have the courtesy to let them know about it and explain what is going on, then I blame the label.

    Sure, the label probably owns their asses outright but I think it's reasonable to keep your artists informed when these types of decisions are being made. Hence my "hmmm"
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    ethicalpaul;3570279 said:
    Well, if a label decides to put a band's work into some new thing like RBN and doesn't have the courtesy to let them know about it and explain what is going on, then I blame the label.

    Sure, the label probably owns their asses outright but I think it's reasonable to keep your artists informed when these types of decisions are being made. Hence my "hmmm"
    this

    im sorry but if they think 3 dollars is the only price, then you have to wonder how they got that info
    who have they been in contact with

    considering EMI is the only label putting out stuff for 3 dollars, it really puts them in the position of being the only ones who have said so, no one else using the system has put a song up for 3 dollars, so it isnt coming from anyone else


    also, people need to stop acting like everyones a victim and only the people at the top are to blame, i hate to say it, but the band also needs to take responsibility for not looking into it themselves and just believing what they are told by their label
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    & @thedandywarhols, since your songs aren't published yet, you can still change the price if you want! Creators.rockband.com 4 all the info!
    How will The Dandy Warhols change the price of a track that they didn't submit? The "hmmm"s keep on coming!
Sign In or Register to comment.