Sgt. Pepper's Appreciation Thread

TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
edited March 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Long ago, Sgt. Pepper's was hailed as The Beatles' best album, and one of the best, if not the best album of all time. I still feel this way, and personally it is my favorite Beatles album, but on the forums it seems like this album is losing respect, and it's even being called one of their worst albums. Now how the heck did that happen?!?! I still love this album like none other, and I think it has aged very well, and I hope some others love it as much as I do.

So let's hear it: Why do you like this album? What makes it great? If you don't like it, why not?

Comments

• gnik nusgnik nus Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    The White Album is Better
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited March 2010
    gnik nus;3570446 said:
    And that's cool to say. Everyone has an opinion. But I hate it when people are like "White Album is better, but Sgt. Pepper's is a load of crap!" I mean, at least recognize it's cultural impact and beautiful songwriting.
  • Dozer3677Dozer3677 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I don't like Sgt. Pepper as much as others. My fav is Let It Be. Then Please, Please Me. I really love the rocking beatles. I love all beatles albums and I don't not like Sgt. Peppers, Infact I really like alot of songs. But as a whole, I find this to be my least fav. album. Let It Be really I feel gets the band together and makes great rock music. With a side of feeling.
  • 0Sk8r00Sk8r0 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I LOVE Sgt. Pepper's!!!
    A close second is Please Please Me.
    Fantastic albums. Although, I grew up listening to a lot of the White Album (my old man's favorite).
  • stevonub420stevonub420 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Sgt Pepper is a great album,I gave it 4/5. However it's not the BEST album they have.Once again this is a matter of opinion to everyone and I def wouldn't want to disrepect any fans on here. I think Abbey road is the better album, just cuase it has more of a good feeling to me,im not sure how to describe it,but I get chills everytime I listen to Because and to golden slumbers.

Sgt Pepper is def up there with some of their greatest work....but the White album? There where some GREAT songs on it...but some of it was a bit too much. Like ppl have said before.They could hae cut some songs off of it and it would have been a GREAT record,but at that time they were to full of themselves to cut any of thier songs off,and I mean that with great respect. But really,songs like Honey Pie or Revolution 9 could have been better off left off and came back years later as unreleased material.IMO But yes, there were some great songs on that.

My least fave of the Beatles would prolly have to be With The Beatles. Of course it has some good tracks,but most of the songs were just covers that they did,prolly just in a hurry to put out another album. Even with the cover songs though,and it being my least fave,it's still 100% better than most of the crap that is out today.
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I personally think Sgt. Pepper's is one of the worse Beatles albums. I understand how influential it was and how it changed music forever but that doesn't mean it's a perfect album. It has 4 great songs (Sgt. Pepper's, With a Little Help..., Getting Better, and A Day in the Life), 3 above average (by Beatles standards) songs (Within You Without You, When I'm 64, and LitSwD), and the rest are forgettable.

The album is also way to Paul heavy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I think John could have produced more, and better, songs for the album. The one George song is great but the only really good John song is A Day in the Life. LitSwD is very overrated IMO. I can't listen to it more than once without it getting very annoying. BftBoMK is a novelty song and GM, GM is probably the most forgettable song on the album. If Fixing a Hole, Lovely Rita, and Good Morning, Good Morning were replaced by Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, and Only a Northern Song (which were originally going to be on the album), it would have probably been one of the best Beatles albums.

For a more experimental Beatles album, Revolver is better; and for a psychedelic Beatles album, Magical Mystery Tour is better. Saying Sgt. Pepper's is one of the worse Beatles albums is by no means a bad thing. It's still better than 99% of the albums out there. It's not one of the Beatles best but it's still a great album and deserves all the praise it gets. I personally don't think it's that great (for a Beatles album) but that's just my opinion.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks to everyone who likes this album, and I really apprecitate MostSpartan's post. This is what's good: giving a personal opinion without being a jerk about it.
  • AceNod137AceNod137 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    SPLHCB is No. 1 on RS' 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    TheRollingBones;3570442 said:
    Long ago, Sgt. Pepper's was hailed as The Beatles' best album, and one of the best, if not the best album of all time. I still feel this way, and personally it is my favorite Beatles album, but on the forums it seems like this album is losing respect, and it's even being called one of their worst albums. Now how the heck did that happen?!?! I still love this album like none other, and I think it has aged very well, and I hope some others love it as much as I do.
    gnik nus;3570446 said:
    this and oddly this too. I also don't like how it's losing respect, as it's one of my favorite albums. But The White Album is my favorite. (but SPLHCB is 2nd.)
  • Big-A2Big-A2 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Who here has heared it in mono? That, my friends, is what the so-called "greatest album ever" should sound like.
  • guitaranddrumgod1978guitaranddrumgod1978 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I believe Sgt Peppers is a great album, but it's not the #1 in my book. That title should go to Abbey Road. Still, I voted 5/5, because it is a classic. Probably #2 all-time.
  • gnik nusgnik nus Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Big-A2;3571870 said:
    Who here has heared it in mono? That, my friends, is what the so-called "greatest album ever" should sound like.
    Too much flanging on LSD and Stereo She's Leaving Home is better IMO
  • ferocious-ponyferocious-pony Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Almost as good as the bacon I came here for

bahaha. I didn't pick that, though, but reading it was a good to way to start my work day
    edited March 2010
    AceNod137;3571450 said:
    I noticed that too, and I thought that was really cool, but it looks like a lot of the people on these forums hate RS too, so that doesn't matter to them (I still like the magazine to an extent.)
  • LimaoxDLimaoxD Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Well, It's one of my favorites along Magical Mystery Tour, RS, Revolver, Let it Be and Help!.

I could listen LSD many and many times (last year I listened that song for 2 hours, then I got sick of it for 2 months). And Good Morning Good Morning is amazing, one of the more underrated Beatles songs in my opinion. Sgt Peppers is one of the best album openers, and With a Little Help is probably my favorite Ringo song (maybe with Don't Pass Me By).
    WYWY is the first Beatles different song (like Love you To, TNK, You Know my Name...) that I liked.
    I don't know why, I like so much this album, even with the strange noises of some songs (GMGM, LSD ...)
  • SisterRaySisterRay Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    MostSpartan14;3570635 said:
    I personally think Sgt. Pepper's is one of the worse Beatles albums. I understand how influential it was and how it changed music forever but that doesn't mean it's a perfect album. It has 4 great songs (Sgt. Pepper's, With a Little Help..., Getting Better, and A Day in the Life), 3 above average (by Beatles standards) songs (Within You Without You, When I'm 64, and LitSwD), and the rest are forgettable.

The album is also way to Paul heavy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I think John could have produced more, and better, songs for the album. The one George song is great but the only really good John song is A Day in the Life. LitSwD is very overrated IMO. I can't listen to it more than once without it getting very annoying. BftBoMK is a novelty song and GM, GM is probably the most forgettable song on the album. If Fixing a Hole, Lovely Rita, and Good Morning, Good Morning were replaced by Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, and Only a Northern Song (which were originally going to be on the album), it would have probably been one of the best Beatles albums.

For a more experimental Beatles album, Revolver is better; and for a psychedelic Beatles album, Magical Mystery Tour is better. Saying Sgt. Pepper's is one of the worse Beatles albums is by no means a bad thing. It's still better than 99% of the albums out there. It's not one of the Beatles best but it's still a great album and deserves all the praise it gets. I personally don't think it's that great (for a Beatles album) but that's just my opinion.
    In terms of songwriting you might be right. I think on Sgt. Pepper the Beatles went after a layered sound where non-rock instruments, often exotic instruments or recording techniques were used and where rock instruments were mixed in but really put in the background. This really started on Revolver and "Strawberry Fields Forever".

"Strawberry Fields Forever" should have been on Pepper because it was a great song with it's backward percussion, mellotron, strings and fade- out/ fade-in coda instrumental really don't conform to any kind of music at the time. It's really a great example of using the studio as an instrument for psychedelic music.

"Only a Northern Song" though nary a guitar is the closest the Beatles ever got to Pink Floyd kind of zanny kind of psychedelia should have been left in. I would leave "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" on Sgt Pepper it's really classic psychedelic pop. Plus King Crimson and Pink Floyd both paid tribute to the song so it can't be that bad.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    AceNod137;3571450 said:
    Though if the list were made today, Revolver or Abbey Road would be at the top.
  • DaytrippedDaytripped Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I say Sgt.Pepper's is the greatest album ever, but it's not my favorite. It's my second favorite. Revolver is da first. :D
    edited March 2010
    Rockbandfan23467;3573126 said:
    Though if the list were made today, Revolver or Abbey Road would be at the top.
    Only if it were made by people on the RB forums :p
    Daytripped;3573323 said:
    I say Sgt.Pepper's is the greatest album ever, but it's not my favorite. It's my second favorite. Revolver is da first. :D
    That's cool. Revolver is my #2 pick. :)
    edited March 2010
    gnik nus;3571992 said:
    Too much flanging on LSD and Stereo She's Leaving Home is better IMO
    No it isn't. Shut up.
    edited March 2010
    Big-A2;3576535 said:
    No it isn't. Shut up.
    Eeeps!! Thanks for your thorough opinion. I like how you clearly explained yourself in such great detail. Your opinion on She' Leaving Home is dead on. And your thoughts on Day In The Life, very poignant. Thank you for opening my mind to your vast knowledge. I will be stealing your quote and using it in intellectual conversation with my friends.

Counter-point= No it isn't. Shut up.

Have you been to St. Gods hospital anytime recently?
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I did, and they told me to send you in so they can fix your broken sarcasm detector.
    edited March 2010
    Big-A2;3576568 said:
    Yeah, I did, and they told me to send you in so they can fix your broken sarcasm detector.
    I'm think I'm gonna need a 2nd opinion. It appears it worked like a charm.

Like Peter Griffin watching Failure To Launch......Done!
    edited March 2010
    Dozer3677;3576591 said:

Like Peter Griffin watching Failure To Launch......Done!
    Haaa...
    edited March 2010
    Dozer3677;3576591 said:
    ...yeah, good point.

Might as well post my actual argument now.

The flanger on Lucy In The Sky makes it more dreamy and, as a mono mix, deeper. The stereo sounds artificial and "down-to-earth" compaared with it. Paul's faster and higher voice makes She's Leaving Home a little more epic and touching, as weekday morning are normally very fast moving routines.
  • bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    This is a great album no doubt. But my favourite is Abbey Road. Then Sgt Peppers. My favourtie song on this album is With little Help from my friends.
  • ASDodgeASDodge Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    The debate about Sgt. Pepper's being the best Beatle album has raged for 40 years.

I wrote a much longer piece elsewhere, but here is a syynopsis of how to consider it:

1. Musically-
    As far as the music goes, most Beatle fans agree that there are stronger collections of pop/rock music... Revolver and Abbey Road being the two most cited. Sift through some of the crazier stuff and The White Album probably is a better musical collection with much stronger songs. Individually, the songs still rank highly, yet colelctively some dismiss them as less than standards.
    However, the title song and reprise, Good Morning Good Morning, and the epics Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Day in the Life are definitive classics. Many love to sing along with When I'm Sixty-Four and the operatic She's Leaving Home, while Fixing a Hole, Lovely Rita, and Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, as well as Getting Better are nothing to sneeze at. Within You Without You is the definitive Hindi-music masterpiece and set the bar too high for anyone to challenge in bringing JIndian music west into pop culture.

2. Artistic Intention: The goal of the album was twofold. Firstly, the idea was to create an album that would be impossible to reproduce live and then send the album "on tour." Secondly, the album represented the influences the Beatles were feeling. The advent of "music festivals" had opened pop music to concerts of multiple genres and styles of music. SPLHCB offers as diverse a collection of musical stylings as any contemporary pop festival- 1 year before Montrose and 2 years before Woodstock made such festivals major events.

So, why do some dismiss the album when most songs are quality? This answr comes in three areas:
    1. No more "fab four/moptops." While each preceding album, adventuring into new fields consecutively, experimented with new sounds, there was a pattern of recognizability and growth. There were still elements of the "With The Beatles" Beatles, even in Revolver. Pepper's was a drastic move away from the early days- even from Revolver. Any hopes that the Beatles were still cute and cuddly disappeared and such longings wre released on the pre-fab 4, The Monkees.
    2. John Lennon: within weeks of the release of SPLHCB, Lennon was dismissing it as "just another album" and "by far not our best." Novels could be written on the dysfunctional and sometimes petty jealousies of Lennon, but most saw SPLHCB as "Paul's Album" from concept to production- a view Harrison in later years also fostered. Lennon has been recorded at many times saying he disliked the album and that his work was piecemal on it. Hard to buy into such an attitude when 2 of the top songs from the album were 2 of his all-time beloved classics. The problem was, at the time of recording, Lennon was in a state of depression. Always borderline manic, Lennon had such bouts admittedly. Lennon was a curious case of a private follower who wanted to be seen as the leader. Paul gave the idea to the album and wrote more songs. With the rocket success and critical acclaim, Lennon definitely had jealousy issues. Lennon loved to be loved and wanted the media love, even when he professed disdain for "critics." That SPLHCB got the greatest critical acclaim of any album ever in rock (with, perhaps, Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"), Lennon definitely was jealous. His "genius" could only point out that folks were fooling themselves thinking that Pepper's was a true concept album. The great ironic statement proving this point is his famed interview in which he states "it's called a concept album, but it doesn't go anywhere... any of my songs could have been on any album... 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite' isn't a concept... it could go anywhere..." COnsidering the intent to have a circus/pop festival theme around the album, 'Mr. Kite' most definitely fits the album more than any song outside the title song. Curiously enough, Lennon actively joined in the Rolling Stone's attempt to produce the same concept in "Rock 'n Roll Circus." I love Lennon, but he could be a right bastard and hypocrite OFTEN. His constant ridiculing of the album led many fans to and artistes to mock it.
    3. Imitators and Fundamentalists: Hailed as the expression of th new age, every band worth its salt immediately attempted to imitate or expand on the interpretations they read into the album. A lot of drek was released within months of Peppers. On the opposite side of the artistes and copycats were those who felt Peppers was the cause of the drug revolution and hippy-era of the late 60's. Peppers was often dismissed as an "acid album" and the work of the devils (only a year removed from Lennon's "more popular than Jesus" comments. Either way, many newcomers have definite expectations o what the album should "be" and it doesn't deliver on those levels for them. The album, meant to mimic a pop fest, throws some people off for its varied and off-range musical meanderings.

So, what is the album and what makes it the greatest, then?
    The album is, as above, the Beatles' attempt to break out of the mop-top era once and for all and fully implement ideas they had only experimented with. The album was a celebration of the influences and styles they were living and was intended to be like a pop-music fest, no more, no less. That it incorporated origins of psychadelia, pop, rock, heavy metal, opera-rock, folk, ethnic, and oldies pop/schmaltz merely shows their virtuosity and influences and their ability to pesent them well. That others took such ideas and went nuts with them is not their fault.

In the end, the final greatness of the album is not the music (though, some definitive Beatles' classics- especially two of John's most beloved- are present), but the social impact it had. SPLHCB was the FIRST pop/rock album to be accepted and critiqued in "legitimate" music circles. It was an artistic statement in a genre barely considered music, much less art. The album was "listened to" in more than just "sing-a-long" ways. From the cover to printing th elyrics outside, the album was a series of FIRSTS. This album shook not just the pop/rock music world, but all genres of music, and then moved on to affect society. Unlike other great-selling albums (Dark Side of the Moon, Thriller, etc), this album did not just influence kids with cash to spend and new clothes to buy, it influenced the minds of people who didn't even listen to this music. It either caused or emboldened a social revolution and was a mirror of a time and place the world will never be again. It affected the way albums were made, how bands saw themselves, how people thought, dressed, lived, and viewed the world. NO ALBUM before or since has had such an influence on the world. Pepper's was a catalyst for so many things and its energy still ripples today in the undercurrents of our society. For this alone, it is the greatest ALBUM of all time, even though I would rather listen to Revolver or Abbey Road in one sit-through than Peppers, it's power is in what it 40 years ago and how we are still afffected by that blast- whether we like or appreciate the music on it or not.
    edited March 2010
    ^ Not gonna quote that. But man that was indepth. That was one of the best, most honest, most indepth reviews of the album I have ever read. You, sir, are awesome :D.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    TheRollingBones;3578488 said:
    ^ Not gonna quote that. But man that was indepth. That was one of the best, most honest, most indepth reviews of the album I have ever read. You, sir, are awesome :D.
    then I will :p
    ASDodge;3578380 said:
    The debate about Sgt. Pepper's being the best Beatle album has raged for 40 years.

I wrote a much longer piece elsewhere, but here is a syynopsis of how to consider it:

1. Musically-
    As far as the music goes, most Beatle fans agree that there are stronger collections of pop/rock music... Revolver and Abbey Road being the two most cited. Sift through some of the crazier stuff and The White Album probably is a better musical collection with much stronger songs. Individually, the songs still rank highly, yet colelctively some dismiss them as less than standards.
    However, the title song and reprise, Good Morning Good Morning, and the epics Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Day in the Life are definitive classics. Many love to sing along with When I'm Sixty-Four and the operatic She's Leaving Home, while Fixing a Hole, Lovely Rita, and Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, as well as Getting Better are nothing to sneeze at. Within You Without You is the definitive Hindi-music masterpiece and set the bar too high for anyone to challenge in bringing JIndian music west into pop culture.

2. Artistic Intention: The goal of the album was twofold. Firstly, the idea was to create an album that would be impossible to reproduce live and then send the album "on tour." Secondly, the album represented the influences the Beatles were feeling. The advent of "music festivals" had opened pop music to concerts of multiple genres and styles of music. SPLHCB offers as diverse a collection of musical stylings as any contemporary pop festival- 1 year before Montrose and 2 years before Woodstock made such festivals major events.

So, why do some dismiss the album when most songs are quality? This answr comes in three areas:
    1. No more "fab four/moptops." While each preceding album, adventuring into new fields consecutively, experimented with new sounds, there was a pattern of recognizability and growth. There were still elements of the "With The Beatles" Beatles, even in Revolver. Pepper's was a drastic move away from the early days- even from Revolver. Any hopes that the Beatles were still cute and cuddly disappeared and such longings wre released on the pre-fab 4, The Monkees.
    2. John Lennon: within weeks of the release of SPLHCB, Lennon was dismissing it as "just another album" and "by far not our best." Novels could be written on the dysfunctional and sometimes petty jealousies of Lennon, but most saw SPLHCB as "Paul's Album" from concept to production- a view Harrison in later years also fostered. Lennon has been recorded at many times saying he disliked the album and that his work was piecemal on it. Hard to buy into such an attitude when 2 of the top songs from the album were 2 of his all-time beloved classics. The problem was, at the time of recording, Lennon was in a state of depression. Always borderline manic, Lennon had such bouts admittedly. Lennon was a curious case of a private follower who wanted to be seen as the leader. Paul gave the idea to the album and wrote more songs. With the rocket success and critical acclaim, Lennon definitely had jealousy issues. Lennon loved to be loved and wanted the media love, even when he professed disdain for "critics." That SPLHCB got the greatest critical acclaim of any album ever in rock (with, perhaps, Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"), Lennon definitely was jealous. His "genius" could only point out that folks were fooling themselves thinking that Pepper's was a true concept album. The great ironic statement proving this point is his famed interview in which he states "it's called a concept album, but it doesn't go anywhere... any of my songs could have been on any album... 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite' isn't a concept... it could go anywhere..." COnsidering the intent to have a circus/pop festival theme around the album, 'Mr. Kite' most definitely fits the album more than any song outside the title song. Curiously enough, Lennon actively joined in the Rolling Stone's attempt to produce the same concept in "Rock 'n Roll Circus." I love Lennon, but he could be a right bastard and hypocrite OFTEN. His constant ridiculing of the album led many fans to and artistes to mock it.
    3. Imitators and Fundamentalists: Hailed as the expression of th new age, every band worth its salt immediately attempted to imitate or expand on the interpretations they read into the album. A lot of drek was released within months of Peppers. On the opposite side of the artistes and copycats were those who felt Peppers was the cause of the drug revolution and hippy-era of the late 60's. Peppers was often dismissed as an "acid album" and the work of the devils (only a year removed from Lennon's "more popular than Jesus" comments. Either way, many newcomers have definite expectations o what the album should "be" and it doesn't deliver on those levels for them. The album, meant to mimic a pop fest, throws some people off for its varied and off-range musical meanderings.

So, what is the album and what makes it the greatest, then?
    The album is, as above, the Beatles' attempt to break out of the mop-top era once and for all and fully implement ideas they had only experimented with. The album was a celebration of the influences and styles they were living and was intended to be like a pop-music fest, no more, no less. That it incorporated origins of psychadelia, pop, rock, heavy metal, opera-rock, folk, ethnic, and oldies pop/schmaltz merely shows their virtuosity and influences and their ability to pesent them well. That others took such ideas and went nuts with them is not their fault.

In the end, the final greatness of the album is not the music (though, some definitive Beatles' classics- especially two of John's most beloved- are present), but the social impact it had. SPLHCB was the FIRST pop/rock album to be accepted and critiqued in "legitimate" music circles. It was an artistic statement in a genre barely considered music, much less art. The album was "listened to" in more than just "sing-a-long" ways. From the cover to printing th elyrics outside, the album was a series of FIRSTS. This album shook not just the pop/rock music world, but all genres of music, and then moved on to affect society. Unlike other great-selling albums (Dark Side of the Moon, Thriller, etc), this album did not just influence kids with cash to spend and new clothes to buy, it influenced the minds of people who didn't even listen to this music. It either caused or emboldened a social revolution and was a mirror of a time and place the world will never be again. It affected the way albums were made, how bands saw themselves, how people thought, dressed, lived, and viewed the world. NO ALBUM before or since has had such an influence on the world. Pepper's was a catalyst for so many things and its energy still ripples today in the undercurrents of our society. For this alone, it is the greatest ALBUM of all time, even though I would rather listen to Revolver or Abbey Road in one sit-through than Peppers, it's power is in what it 40 years ago and how we are still afffected by that blast- whether we like or appreciate the music on it or not.
    :D
    edited March 2010
    ^Thanks for clogging up the thread gamegyro. :p