Will PS3 users ever get RBN?

darrekmis95darrekmis95 Opening Act
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
At first I wasn't interested with the RBN but as i saw someof these great songs come up I became more interested in it. Now I'm wonder ing if PS3 will ever get RBN. If so, what songs will we be able to download?

Comments

  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    bigmf;3576801 said:
    That's a lovely little argument you had with yourself, but I didn't see anyone saying they expected all the songs to come over exactly 30 days later.
    There's plenty of it floating around the forums. Mostly with the comment: "In 30 days ____ will be available" as if it's an assumption. Pay attention, it's there.
    bigmf;3576801 said:
    the Wii is irrelevant to what a PS3 rockband player is hoping for
    The Wii is relevant when the discussion is frequenlty: "Why does HMX hate the PS3". As is often the case when the RBN comes up.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3577038 said:
    There's plenty of it floating around the forums. Mostly with the comment: "In 30 days ____ will be available" as if it's an assumption. Pay attention, it's there.


    The Wii is relevant when the discussion is frequenlty: "Why does HMX hate the PS3". As is often the case when the RBN comes up.
    Neither of these were in this thread until you introduced them here, in what I can only conclude was an attempt to rile up PS3 users.
  • MistressDMistressD Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I'm on the Xbox and PS3, so I've had a firsthand experience of RBN and I feel pretty good with what could be imported onto the PS3. As of when, that has yet to be seen, the songs I have tried are still being rated, and I have a feeling the top rated songs as well as the bigger labels, will be on the PS3. So you know whenever it does premiere, you'll be getting the good stuff, so just hang on, and don't be mad at HMX, just be glad they were able to work something out with SONY. The only time I'd start to get nervous if it we don't see it by summer.
  • The_SpleenThe_Spleen Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    bigmf;3576801 said:
    The main discussion that was happening...was concern that the selections that PS3 users get will not be the ones that some individuals want. A further concern is that the selections will be based on sales. This could work out poorly for PS3 players since there is a recognizable difference in demographics between the two consoles' user bases.
    Thank you. I'm glad at least one person understood what I was attempting to get across.

    I wasn't trying to start a console/rage debate, I was just stating my fear given how usually a certain type of song seems to win the most sales, which I don't think should necessarily dictate the PS3 selection.
  • edited March 2010
    The_Spleen;3577187 said:
    Thank you. I'm glad at least one person understood what I was attempting to get across.

    I wasn't trying to start a console/rage debate, I was just stating my fear given how usually a certain type of song seems to win the most sales, which I don't think should necessarily dictate the PS3 selection.
    I think this is a very fair concern and certainly one I have as well. Only porting the more famous/commercial bands over to other systems would be a bit beside the point of the whole concept, in my opinion (which is certainly influenced by the fact that I find most of the more obscure material a lot more interesting than bands like 3EB or Drowning Pool).

    Fortunately, as regular DLC weeks like this one show, it's not always purely commercialism that drives song selection at HMX, so hopefully the RBN ports to other systems will be equally balanced.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Der_Lex;3577294 said:
    I think this is a very fair concern and certainly one I have as well. Only porting the more famous/commercial bands over to other systems would be a bit beside the point of the whole concept, in my opinion (which is certainly influenced by the fact that I find most of the more obscure material a lot more interesting than bands like 3EB or Drowning Pool).

    Fortunately, as regular DLC weeks like this one show, it's not always purely commercialism that drives song selection at HMX, so hopefully the RBN ports to other systems will be equally balanced.
    It's usually lost in these threads, but HMX said it won't always be sales success or band recognition that will merit a cross-console release. They also said it would be fan favourites and their own personal favourites as well. What we don't know is how weighted any of that is going to be.

    I also wouldn't expect a strict adherence to the 30 day 'rule'. I suspect that only exists as a guideline for the earliest a song might make the switch.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Der_Lex;3577294 said:
    Fortunately, as regular DLC weeks like this one show, it's not always purely commercialism that drives song selection at HMX, so hopefully the RBN ports to other systems will be equally balanced.
    HMX did say they would try to bring over a combination of top-selling and personal favorites. The tricky part though is finding the right balance.

    If enough PS3 owners support the RBN content that DOES come over, they may feel more comfortable bringing over the more obscure artists. So if I were a PS3 owner I would expect lots of big artists (Coulton, Conchords, Wind-Up, Frontalot, EMI) at first....and then more of the indie artists if those sell.

    So, PS3 users, there is some pressure on you to step up and support the service once it comes over.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    So, PS3 users, there is some pressure on you to step up and support the service once it comes over.
    Yes PS3 people! You buy those songs whether you like them or not! Ingrates!!!

    :)
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    ethicalpaul;3577339 said:
    Yes PS3 people! You buy those songs whether you like them or not! Ingrates!!!

    :)
    But, but, I thought if we didn't like some DLC, it wasn't the end of the world because we don't have to buy it.
  • edited March 2010
    bigmf;3577347 said:
    But, but, I thought if we didn't like some DLC, it wasn't the end of the world because we don't have to buy it.
    You obviously aren't aware of the HMX DLC Enforcement street teams yet.

    Don't worry, HMXChuckles and HMXBruiser will be paying you a visit shortly to explain.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    Der_Lex;3577356 said:
    You obviously aren't aware of the HMX DLC Enforcement street teams yet.

    Don't worry, HMXChuckles and HMXBruiser will be paying you a visit shortly to explain.
    You're wrong, It was HMXKneecapper.

    *Hobbles off to buy DLC*
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    ethicalpaul;3577339 said:
    Yes PS3 people! You buy those songs whether you like them or not! Ingrates!!!
    That's not what I was saying. There are lots of people who are voicing concerns that the songs they want won't come over.

    So if those songs they want DO come over, they need to act on their word and show that support.

    If you look at the Who Smashup as an example, many PS3 users were incredibly upset that it was delayed this long. Then once it hit the store some started making excuses for why they weren't going to buy it.

    Imagine if that happens here. HMX sees users on the PS3 and Wii clamoring for a specific song. What happens if people start finding excuses to not buy songs once HMX starts bringing them over?

    If you want HMX to take your complaints seriously...have some conviction behind them. This is why people who threaten to "leave RB forever" rarely get taken seriously...because so many times those same people have been back a few weeks later claiming something else is the "last straw".
  • michellica72michellica72 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I would buy alot of the rbn songs right now for ps3 so they are losing lots of money on the exclusivity of the 360, which i would never buy.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
  • Death50Death50 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    PS3 and Wii users (thought it would never happen) should just not buy any of there stuff until they get the same features.

    Watch how fast Sony will work things out and get RBN, I don't think Nintendo will care.

    One can dream...

    We all know realsticly (me too) as soon as a good song from RBN comes over it will be downloaded and will basicly say "we like be second class system owners."

    ...How lame
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited March 2010
    Death50;3578886 said:
    PS3 and Wii users (thought it would never happen) should just not buy any of there stuff until they get the same features.

    Watch how fast Sony will work things out and get RBN, I don't think Nintendo will care.
    RBN, by itself, isn't going to be enough of a money maker for Sony to make the infrastructure for it. There has to be more on the table than that, as it's a major undertaking.

    You're talking about setting up an entire development infrastructure for games of all kinds.

    Besides which, for RBN to be truly shared over platforms Sony and Microsoft would have to collaborate on it. Not going to happen.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Death50;3578886 said:
    We all know realsticly (me too) as soon as a good song from RBN comes over it will be downloaded and will basicly say "we like be second class system owners."
    See, I don't get this perpetual "oh woe is me" mentality. HMX is not treating you like second rate owners....they literally do not have the tech to bring the full RBN to the other consoles.

    If you were being treated like second-rate owners it would be if there WAS the tech to bring over the full RBN and HMX just didn't use it.
  • ShelshockerShelshocker Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I don't think PS3 users should for the top xbox songs either. Just because xbox users dont like a song doesnt mean I wont
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Shelshocker;3581477 said:
    I don't think PS3 users should for the top xbox songs either. Just because xbox users dont like a song doesnt mean I wont
    Well the top selling songs are more likely to sell well on other consoles. HMX will likely bring those over in the earlier stages....and depending on how those do will risk bringing over more "cult" favorites later on.
  • jaison13jaison13 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    hey harmonix, ps3's are owned on average by older people than xbox306's. you know like comparing the average ages, xbox 15yo's ps3's 26yo's. so who has the income to drop on new music every week? 15 or 26 year old people?? let us decide what we want to buy!! not 8 to 20 year old's. i may want to buy all 150 songs. i'm well over 800 as it is now. need to check the exact number. subtract the country, GnR and the dead and i bought everything else pretty much. why do xbox users always get 1st pick!!
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    jaison13;3582006 said:
    hey harmonix, ps3's are owned on average by older people than xbox306's. you know like comparing the average ages, xbox 15yo's ps3's 26yo's. so who has the income to drop on new music every week? 15 or 26 year old people?? let us decide what we want to buy!! not 8 to 20 year old's. i may want to buy all 150 songs. i'm well over 800 as it is now. need to check the exact number. subtract the country, GnR and the dead and i bought everything else pretty much. why do xbox users always get 1st pick!!
    That has already been answered throughout the thread.
  • arclight2012arclight2012 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    So, basically, there's not been any better answer than this: Xbox gets to dictate everything. Period. End of story. If you're on PS3 or Wii, you made the wrong decision in buying a console if your intent was being on the bleeding edge of Rock Band.

    Personally, I have a PS3, and my intent back in 2008 was definitely to be on the bleeding edge. And now I'm not. Even though I've paid just as much money as those on Xbox have (with hundreds of DLC to prove it), I don't get the same benefits.

    I'm not placing blame on Harmonix by saying this. I'm just stating the facts. I've invested serious cash on four RB games, several controllers, and countless DLCs, and I'm getting the short end of the stick. Fact.

    So either I have to suck it up and buy an Xbox (and rebuy everything on Xbox), or continue to get the short end of the stick.

    This sucks. And it ticks me (and a lot of other people) off.

    If Harmonix wants to remedy the situation, sell me a $10 license that allows me to port over all of my DLC from PS3 to Xbox, and I'll ingest the cost of buying Xbox controllers (you know, several hundred dollars for numerous controllers on top of the several hundred dollars I dropped on the games and the DLC.) Then you could get a bunch of PS3 players over on your OBVIOUS platform of choice. I'd make the move. I'm sure others would too. I just wish HMX had explained two years ago that they would be giving Xbox owners a better value for their money, and maybe some of us wouldn't have had to go through this.
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    arclight2012;3582061 said:
    So, basically, there's not been any better answer than this: Xbox gets to dictate everything. Period. End of story. If you're on PS3 or Wii, you made the wrong decision in buying a console if your intent was being on the bleeding edge of Rock Band.

    Personally, I have a PS3, and my intent back in 2008 was definitely to be on the bleeding edge. And now I'm not. Even though I've paid just as much money as those on Xbox have (with hundreds of DLC to prove it), I don't get the same benefits.

    I'm not placing blame on Harmonix by saying this. I'm just stating the facts. I've invested serious cash on four RB games, several controllers, and countless DLCs, and I'm getting the short end of the stick. Fact.

    So either I have to suck it up and buy an Xbox (and rebuy everything on Xbox), or continue to get the short end of the stick.

    This sucks. And it ticks me (and a lot of other people) off.

    If Harmonix wants to remedy the situation, sell me a $10 license that allows me to port over all of my DLC from PS3 to Xbox, and I'll ingest the cost of buying Xbox controllers (you know, several hundred dollars for numerous controllers on top of the several hundred dollars I dropped on the games and the DLC.) Then you could get a bunch of PS3 players over on your OBVIOUS platform of choice. I'd make the move. I'm sure others would too. I just wish HMX had explained two years ago that they would be giving Xbox owners a better value for their money, and maybe some of us wouldn't have had to go through this.
    That's pretty much right on. I've decided to keep getting the short end of the stick though, it's just not that big a deal to me.

    In other news... I don't want to spoil the party here, but there's nothing hinting at a release for April 4th or whatever "30 days" adds up to. What has been stated is that we cannot expect a song to make it to the other (lesser?) platforms earlier than 30 days after the xbox release. That says absolutely nothing about a RBN launch date.

    I hope I'm wrong, but it may very well take six months before we see Rock Band Network pack 01 on PSN. Let's just say the general tone of HMX staffers here hints that there's a lot more work involved than what we might think, which means delays, and possible monetary loss. The song ports will need to be profitable, and they may very well wait until they have a nice reserve of easy sellers to offer before opening the gates.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    elfreako;3582391 said:
    That's pretty much right on. I've decided to keep getting the short end of the stick though, it's just not that big a deal to me.

    In other news... I don't want to spoil the party here, but there's nothing hinting at a release for April 4th or whatever "30 days" adds up to. What has been stated is that we cannot expect a song to make it to the other (lesser?) platforms earlier than 30 days after the xbox release. That says absolutely nothing about a RBN launch date.

    I hope I'm wrong, but it may very well take six months before we see Rock Band Network pack 01 on PSN. Let's just say the general tone of HMX staffers here hints that there's a lot more work involved than what we might think, which means delays, and possible monetary loss. The song ports will need to be profitable, and they may very well wait until they have a nice reserve of easy sellers to offer before opening the gates.
    April 8 is the first thursday after the thirty day window for the RBN launch on the 360. If they are not going to release RBN songs on that day, they should make some sort of announcement about their intentions. It would help to keep PS3 people interested and somewhat enthused, while also heading off some of the negative feelings.

    I'm also going to keep getting the short end of the stick. It would be somewhere around $1000 to get me to where I am now. Any RBN purchases would have to be on top of that.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2010
    jaison13;3582006 said:
    hey harmonix, ps3's are owned on average by older people than xbox306's. you know like comparing the average ages, xbox 15yo's ps3's 26yo's. so who has the income to drop on new music every week? 15 or 26 year old people?? let us decide what we want to buy!! not 8 to 20 year old's. i may want to buy all 150 songs. i'm well over 800 as it is now. need to check the exact number. subtract the country, GnR and the dead and i bought everything else pretty much. why do xbox users always get 1st pick!!


    Generalizations are awesome!

    Cept I'm a primary 360 user.

    AND I'M 37.

    I'm old enough to HAVE a teenager as a kid.

    I also have a PS3.

    Oh wait I get it.

    PS3 - average 24 year old, 360 - average 13 year old = 37.

    I cracked the divinci code!

    What do I win?
  • ZmsZms Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    jaison13;3582006 said:
    hey harmonix, ps3's are owned on average by older people than xbox306's. you know like comparing the average ages, xbox 15yo's ps3's 26yo's. so who has the income to drop on new music every week?
    Hey jaison13, Keldon's DLC popularity page says otherwise...
    These numbers will be slightly lower than the actual sales, due to the following reasons:

    1. Some players may buy a song and never play it.
    2. Some players may buy a song and only play it as a band.
    3. Some players may always play with modifiers such as No Fail Mode.
    4. Some players may play a song and not reach the top 100,000 in the leaderboards, therefore their scores are not noticed.
    Xbox 360: 36,627,501
    PS3: 14,813,309

    (including the free songs)

    ...and no, this has nothing to do with the current state of RBN.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    noble;3582466 said:
    Generalizations are awesome!

    Cept I'm a primary 360 user.

    AND I'M 37.

    I'm old enough to HAVE a teenager as a kid.

    I also have a PS3.

    Oh wait I get it.

    PS3 - average 24 year old, 360 - average 13 year old = 37.

    I cracked the divinci code!

    What do I win?
    Although that guy is a little off in where the greater sales will come in (obviously from the console with the greater installed base), the generalization of ages on each system is a little concerning. Since it sounds like we'll be getting songs based on their popularity on the 360, the average age could have a pretty strong effect. Those most popular songs on the 360 might not be what would have been most popular on the PS3.
  • war_lordwar_lord Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    It's kind of a long-shot PS3'ers can always go over to Blog.PlayStation's new idea sharing thing to vote for Sony to make an XNA-equivalent, which would enable HMX to create a full RBN interface. It'd probably be best to comment with multiple reasons why it's a good idea (not just RBN)... since it's extremely unlikely that Sony would do that just for RBN.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    war_lord;3582643 said:
    It's kind of a long-shot PS3'ers can always go over to Blog.PlayStation's new idea sharing thing to vote for Sony to make an XNA-equivalent, which would enable HMX to create a full RBN interface. It'd probably be best to comment with multiple reasons why it's a good idea (not just RBN)... since it's extremely unlikely that Sony would do that just for RBN.
    Hey now! Let's not get all crazy with being reasonable or anything!
  • arclight2012arclight2012 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    war_lord;3582643 said:
    It's kind of a long-shot PS3'ers can always go over to Blog.PlayStation's new idea sharing thing to vote for Sony to make an XNA-equivalent, which would enable HMX to create a full RBN interface. It'd probably be best to comment with multiple reasons why it's a good idea (not just RBN)... since it's extremely unlikely that Sony would do that just for RBN.
    I think this is a great idea and I intend to do it. I (along with a couple of others) have already mentioned this on the PS3 forums for Rock Band, though those forums seem pretty quiet compared to here so I don't know if anyone will truly notice or care there. So your blog link is appreciated.
Sign In or Register to comment.