vVv Adrenaline Reviews RBN Songs

vVvGamingvVvGaming Unsigned
edited March 2011 in The Rock Band Network
With the release of the Rock Band Network, there are already well over 200 songs ready for you to download, but obviously not all our worthy of your hard-earned dollars. That's where we come in. vVv Adrenaline will release weekly reviews letting YOU know which songs are fun to play, which ones are great to listen to, and which ones you should avoid at all costs. And definitely feel free to give us your opinions for the songs we've selected. Whether you agree, disagree, or have completely different reasonings for liking/disliking a song then we do, we'd like to hear it.

vVv Adrenaline is...

Guitar/Bass: vVv Brock
Drums: vVv HellAshes
Guitar/Bass: vVv GanonMetroid
Vocals: vVv Tobias911

-------------------

Episode #21 - 3/8/11

songs reviewed this episode:
Too Much - Soulive
Lamnidae - This or the Apocalypse
Live for Today - Enemy Remains

Episode #20 - 2/1/11

Just Refrain - Orange Avenue
Herlathing - Morgawr
The Kind is Dead - Victory in Numbers

Episode #19 - 1/17/11

Better Sleep - Fatter Than Albert
Hell's Sweet Hands - Ashland Court
So Fine - The Break Down

Episode #18 - 11/30/10

Arcaedion - Children of Nova
Antman - The Red Chord
The Way You Move - Since October

Episode #17 - 11/16/10

Johnny Ace 2010 - Dash Rip Rock
Laceration - Mile Mark Zero
Standing In Your Stuff - Zigaboo Modeliste

Episode #16 - 10/26/10

Bang Bang Bang – The Virginmarys
The Deceiver - I Am Abomination
All I Want – Cosmic Tribe

Episode #15 - 10/19/10

Steppin' Lightly - Gov't Mule
World on Fire - Firewind
I Want you to See - Justin Joseph Edwards

Episode #14 - 9/20/10

50,000 Unstoppable Watts - Clutch
Living in a Whirlwind - Warbringer
Under Water I Drown - Edge

Episode #13 - 9/8/10

Satisfied - Social Code
Magician - Lightwires
Buy You a House - Noah Engh the Kid Fantastic

Episode #12 - 7/28/10

Tora Tora Tora - Pretty and Nice
Death by Cancer - Seppuku with a Straw
Why Bother? - Scratching the Itch

Episode #11 - 7/20/10

Touche Miss Indenial - Jamestown Story
Bled to Be Free - RX Bandits
Hyperbole - Glass Hammer

Episode #10 - 7/13/10

A Better Forever - SexTon
The Me You See - Spinal Trance
Crooked Strings - Kiev

Episode #9 - 7/6/10

Bright Side of Life - Rebelution
Engine - Wargasm
Hitch Up (I'm So Stupid) - Jesus Candy

Episode #8 - 6/15/10

Oye Vaya - Earl Greyhound
Tap Dancing in a Minefield - The New Regime
Stay Up with Me - After the Fall

Episode #7 - 6/1/10 (special instrumental episode!)

The Great Plains - Scale the Summit
Redemption - Andy Timmons
Flight of the Bumblebee - Paul Henry Smith & The Fauxharmonic Orchestra

Episode #6 - 5/18/10

Doomsday Party - Sybreed
Death Quota for Purification - The Myriad Burial
Last Train to Awesometown - Parry Gripp

Episode #5 - 5/10/10

American Dream - Silverstein
Battle Royale - The Word Alive
Children of December - The Slip

Episode #4 - 4/26/10

Last Mistake - RED9
Let the Games Begin - Anarbor
Minnesota - Voodoo Pharmacology

Episode #3 - 4/12/10

Watch It All Go Down - Foreword
Hook, Line, and Sinner - Texas in July
Dance With Me - Stewart

Episode #2 - 4/2/10

Mordecai - Between the Buried and Me
Africa - Quartered
Complexity of Light - Children of Nova

Episode #1 - 3/19/10

Drunken Lullabies (Live) - Flogging Molly
Footloose and Fancy Free - Bill Bruford’s Earthworks
Push Push (Lady Lightning) - Bang Camaro

Comments

• wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I haven't watched the video yet, but I think that in the future you should focus on reviewing the lesser known songs on the network. Push Push Lady Lightning and Drunken Lullabies are the two top selling songs; I don't think they need much help.
  • vVvGamingvVvGaming Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    This is actually exactly what we plan on doing in the future. We actually started the reviews on these three songs almost immediately after RBN went live, well before many people downloaded anything. It took some time to take care of everything else for this review, but future episodes (after this one and maybe one or two songs of the next one) will definitely focus more on the lesser known songs. Thanks for your input!
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    I like the separate ratings for difficulty and fun. Overall this looks pretty good.

One thing I would try to do is make sure you review 3 different types of songs each episode, you did that here and it'd be a good thing to keep up :)
  • Drumminjay108Drumminjay108 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I would like to see a video that's more like a review instead of just a video of a whole song. Maybe the pros and cons of the song is it a Good party song etc.

I do have to say after watching the video for Footloose and Fancy Free you made me want to but that so keep up the work.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    While the idea of regular RBN song reviews is nice, I have a couple of small criticisms:

-Reviewing more than just the charts would help: those reviews were of the charts, not the song, the mixing or the venue stuff. Personally, I find that audio quality, the quality of the song and, to an extent, the venue stuff is also very important to how fun I find the song to play.

-I found that the reviews were definitely written by players who are skilled to the point where "Hard" has become synonymous with "Fun" and "Easy to moderate difficulty" has become synonymous with "Booooooring." Obviously, this is to be expected from players who consider Footloose and Fancy Free an easy FBFC, but I felt that the reviews were being written from a viewpoint vastly different to my own, and possibly the vast majority of people who are going to be downloading these songs.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited March 2010
    I would love it if you could do more songs, I was hoping it would be like, 10.

Obviously having to FBFC 10 songs would be very hard though, would you guys consider just playing it (not for an FBFC) so we can view the chart and it will only take 1 or 2 tries for you (much quicker)

There were a lot more that would have been good for you to review. He Sleeps in a Grove, The Complexity of Light, Stand for Something, Africa, etc.
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Thom1234;3579272 said:
    While the idea of regular RBN song reviews is nice, I have a couple of small criticisms:

-Reviewing more than just the charts would help: those reviews were of the charts, not the song, the mixing or the venue stuff. Personally, I find that audio quality, the quality of the song and, to an extent, the venue stuff is also very important to how fun I find the song to play.

-I found that the reviews were definitely written by players who are skilled to the point where "Hard" has become synonymous with "Fun" and "Easy to moderate difficulty" has become synonymous with "Booooooring." Obviously, this is to be expected from players who consider Footloose and Fancy Free an easy FBFC, but I felt that the reviews were being written from a viewpoint vastly different to my own, and possibly the vast majority of people who are going to be downloading these songs.
    I agree with all of this
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    Vedicardi;3579950 said:
    I agree with all of this
    I agree with most of it, but I don't think we need their opinion on the quality of the song itself. The quality of the recording (the audio) perhaps, but not the actual song.

Is the fact that Hellashes does (or doesn't) like a song really going to make you more (or less) inclined to buy a RBN track? His musical tastes could be very different than your own, and most likely are.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    kinda weird to see vVv has a rock band team... haha!

i think i read somewhere that hellashes guy likes black metal, so maybe they'll review my tracks in the future... :)
  • DekarTheDragoonDekarTheDragoon Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I agree with David. I was going to say that earlier, but got busy and forgot. But yeah, giving opinions on the actual song would only scare away purchasers who read "This song sounds like cats fighting" and don't give it a chance themselves.

And considering how popular review sites are, and how much many people care about /10 and /100 scores, I have to think that that would turn people away.
    edited March 2010
    Sorry it's taken so long to reply everyone. We've all been at PAX East and unfortunately had to postpone episode to until this Friday. We'll be on a fixed schedule from now on though.
    kingtonyx;3578121 said:
    One thing I would try to do is make sure you review 3 different types of songs each episode, you did that here and it'd be a good thing to keep up :)
    That's a good thing to consider. We definitely want to stay away from reviewing three metals songs in the same week, for example. Variety is always good.
    Drumminjay108;3579099 said:
    I would like to see a video that's more like a review instead of just a video of a whole song. Maybe the pros and cons of the song is it a Good party song etc.
    We thought about doing something like that, but in the end we ended up deciding against it. The amount of work that would have had to go into something like that would have been too much with the video editing and such. We'll still definitely mention the pros and cons of each song, and other factors of the song (i.e. if it's a good party song) will be included if we think it's worth mentioning.
    Thom1234;3579272 said:
    For the most part, the venue stuff won't really be a a factor for most people. I don't recall anyone not liking a song because the band members weren't moving around the way they liked, and actually most of the time they didn't even notice anything beside the notes. And as for audio quality, I'm assuming that it will always be good to get into RBN. If the quality is bad enough that it's actually noticeable, then we'll definitely mention it in the review. For the majority of people, how fun the chart is and how good the song is musically matter the most when deciding whether to buy a song or not.
    Thom1234;3579272 said:
    This was actually noticed by someone on Scorehero, to which I responded
    It's funny because once I finally got the review ready to go live, I then noticed that the two ratings were similar. This is honestly just a coincidence here because next week's reviews will, in a lot of ways, be the exact opposite. Second Best Friend, for example, is really fun on everything with only the guitar being somewhat difficult, and probably would be a good song to review.

And we're not just looking for songs with good charts either. If we find a song that's great musically, then we may choose to review that song as well. It's definitely not easy for a new band to get known in the world, so we're definitely willing to help them get their name out there if we feel they deserve some recognition.
    So don't worry about a song not scoring high because it's easy. Some of the most fun songs in my mind are some of the easier ones.
    overdriveguitarman;3579298 said:
    I would love it if you could do more songs, I was hoping it would be like, 10.
    Well that may be a bit much. An episode with three reviews is a long enough article as it is, doing something like 10 songs would probably make people just look at it as a wall of text, so we figured three or so reviews a week would be good.
    Obviously having to FBFC 10 songs would be very hard though, would you guys consider just playing it (not for an FBFC) so we can view the chart and it will only take 1 or 2 tries for you (much quicker).
    And we actually don't focus at all on FBFCs for these reviews (none of the three we posted thus far are). We just want to show the chart so people know what we're talking about in our reviews.

There were a lot more that would have been good for you to review. He Sleeps in a Grove, The Complexity of Light, Stand for Something, Africa, etc.
    There are well over 150 songs on RBN, so naturally we can't review them all. If we listen to/play a song that we feel deserves to be reviewed, then we'll review it. But I will tell you that based on the songs you mentioned, you should definitely stay tuned for episode 2 :cool:.
    davidshek;3579957 said:
    I agree with most of it, but I don't think we need their opinion on the quality of the song itself. The quality of the recording (the audio) perhaps, but not the actual song.

Is the fact that Hellashes does (or doesn't) like a song really going to make you more (or less) inclined to buy a RBN track? His musical tastes could be very different than your own, and most likely are.
    We may mention our opinions on the song briefly in the review, but that certainly won't have an impact on what we think of the chart. And what any one member of Adrenaline thinks about the song has no say one what songs we review. If, say, the entire band doesn't like a song or think that any of the charts are particularly good, then we probably won't review it. HellAshes' opinions of a song don't factor into our decisions more or less than the other members. Don't forget that, although he's very skilled, he's just another member of the band.
    afterstasis;3579969 said:
    kinda weird to see vVv has a rock band team... haha!

i think i read somewhere that hellashes guy likes black metal, so maybe they'll review my tracks in the future... :)
    We actually have two rock bands :). We have vVv Adrenaline (Brock, HellAshes, GanonMetroid, Tobias911) and we also somewhat recently picked up a new band, vVv Edge of Insanity (ProffessorJoe, Diex, CPURules, RJUCPU)
    DekarTheDragoon;3579974 said:
    I agree with David. I was going to say that earlier, but got busy and forgot. But yeah, giving opinions on the actual song would only scare away purchasers who read "This song sounds like cats fighting" and don't give it a chance themselves.

And considering how popular review sites are, and how much many people care about /10 and /100 scores, I have to think that that would turn people away.
    I don't think a quick opinion about what we think of a song musically would deter anyone from buying the song. That's one of the main reasons we are also doing full band videos. Of course everyone can see for themselves if they think the charts are fun, but it also gives them a chance to listen to the song for themselves.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts everyone! Episode 2 will be up Friday, so until them continue to leave your thoughts here!
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    vVvGaming;3603481 said:
    We may mention our opinions on the song briefly in the review, but that certainly won't have an impact on what we think of the chart. And what any one member of Adrenaline thinks about the song has no say one what songs we review. If, say, the entire band doesn't like a song or think that any of the charts are particularly good, then we probably won't review it. HellAshes' opinions of a song don't factor into our decisions more or less than the other members. Don't forget that, although he's very skilled, he's just another member of the band.
    Right, my comments were not directed at you or vVv, but at the person whom I quoted. :)
  • XinZXinZ Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Wow, really solid reviews. I love the formatting along with high quality videos of full bands playing. I'll for sure be checking these out every time there's a new one.
  • ArmymondArmymond Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Though you only did 3 songs, and they were the most popular songs at that, I'm grateful for the review. I was actually considering buying some of these, but since I'm so picky I'm glad I read this review. I'll probably just save my cash. I agree, more songs should be reviewed, such as unknown ones that would be great additions. I'm looking forward to more reviews.
    edited April 2010
    Episode 2 is up! You guys gave some great suggestions before, so feel free to continue to give your opinions!

Episode #2 - 4/2/10

Between the Buried and Me – Mordecai
    Quartered – Africa
    Children of Nova – Complexity of Light
  • DekarTheDragoonDekarTheDragoon Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Currently reading/watching, but I wanted to note that...
    There are many green streaks during the first couple minutes that should be all strumming, but they decided it would be a good idea to have EVERY streak start with a hammer on green, which makes absolutely no sense. At the end of some of the green streaks, there's a random green hammer on notes AFTER a green strum. This makes no impact on playing the song, but it makes you wonder just how much care went into charting a song as popular as this.
    I'm quite sure this was a technical issue/glitch that people were aware of, but no one is quite sure why it happens or how to fix it. That's as far as I know anyways, but I'm pretty sure it's not RGS's fault, nor the Playtesters/PeerReviewers.
  • S1ckH4ndsS1ckH4nds YouTube Guru
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the professional review of Mordecai, HellAshes.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited April 2010
    DekarTheDragoon;3611144 said:
    Currently reading/watching, but I wanted to note that...

I'm quite sure this was a technical issue/glitch that people were aware of, but no one is quite sure why it happens or how to fix it. That's as far as I know anyways, but I'm pretty sure it's not RGS's fault, nor the Playtesters/PeerReviewers.

This is correct.

There is a glitch in the system(there's an actual HMX song this happened to as well, just can't remember the name of it), and it was noted(the hammer on issue) in the testing.

Multiple times in fact. It is however, something that no one can figure out how to fix, so it was either leave it in, or not release the song.

IIRC.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2010
    noble;3611292 said:
    This is correct.

There is a glitch in the system(there's an actual HMX song this happened to as well, just can't remember the name of it)
    Bodhisattva
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    S1ckH4nds;3611247 said:
    Thanks for the professional review of Mordecai, HellAshes.
    I've got to agree with that. As a playtester I was a little offended by that review and I imagine RGS is pretty annoyed right now.

@ vVv
    If you don't think we're doing a good job get off your ass and get an XNA membership. Until then don't criticize the playtesters because quite frankly I don't think you could do a better job then most of the people there.
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    To be honest, whatever these guys say is not really gonna influence my purchases whatsoever. I think if you like the song, you like the song and will purchase it no matter what others' opinions of the songs are. Also, to me, the songs being reviewed are still rather high-profile or should I say more popular than some of the other songs in the RBN.
    edited April 2010
    I meant to mention this before, but we will focus on lesser known songs from now on for RBN. We originally weren't going to do Mordecai since it's very well known, but we all felt we should voice our opinions about the song. We decided on Complexity of Light and Africa long before they were really popular, but most of our song choices will be of relatively unknown songs.
    noble;3611292 said:
    There is a glitch in the system(there's an actual HMX song this happened to as well, just can't remember the name of it), and it was noted(the hammer on issue) in the testing.

Multiple times in fact. It is however, something that no one can figure out how to fix, so it was either leave it in, or not release the song.

IIRC.
    This is true since both Bodhisattva (as mentioned before) and Ramblin' Man (the O HOPO after O sustain) have this problem. I'm just confused as to how this is unfixable since HMX has said on more than one occasion that they can now chart any note as either a HOPO or strum note. Seems weird, but I did mention that this doesn't affect the gameplay at all since you still have to strum it and it's impossible to hammer-on.
    Catch-22;3611640 said:

[QUOTE=S1ckH4nds;3611247]Thanks for the professional review of Mordecai, HellAshes.
    I've got to agree with that. As a playtester I was a little offended by that review and I imagine RGS is pretty annoyed right now.[/QUOTE]
    Well to start, I'm sure you know that not everyone is going to like every single song that you guys release, and we definitely don't start writing a review with the intention of pissing anybody off. Second of all, we're giving our opinions on what we think of a song. Think about Ebert and Roeper and their movie reviews. If they review a movie they think is great, then they'll say it's great. If they think it's okay, but nothing special, then that's what they'll say. And yes, if they think that a movie completely sucks, then that's exactly what they're going to say, and they've done that on numerous occasions. Many people will be pissed off at both the review and the reviewers, ESPECIALLY people that worked so long and put a lot of effort into the movie. But should the reviewers simply lie and say that the movie was good so everyone would be happy? If I had said this about a different song, not one that you had personally playtested or charted, you may think that the review was still a little harsh, but you would realize that this is what reviewers are supposed to do. If we were to sugarcoat our reviews, what kind of reviewers would we be? We wouldn't be reviewers at all since we're just telling people what they want to hear.

And if you think that my and HellAshes' reviews used language that you think detracted from the review (and made it unprofessional), think about Yahtzee Croshaw and Zero Punctuation. Watch his review of Heavy Rain. He's very vulgar in his reviews, and I think he's 100% wrong about some of the stuff he says. However, this is just his opinion on the subject, and I do see that he brings up some very good points. Even if you disagree with a lot of what he says, I'm sure you see his side, and I'm willing to bet the makers of the game would be incredibly pissed off with this review. But again, it's just his opinion.

As for some occasional bad language, it's simply for emphasis. Instead of the reviews we posted, imagine if HellAshes or I had said "I do not like this song. It is really, really, really bad. It is not fun. Do not buy it." Now, is that a good review for any song? No. Like we say at the beginning of all of our reviews, "vVv Adrenaline will release weekly reviews letting YOU know which songs are fun to play, which ones are great to listen to, and which ones you should avoid at all costs." These are just the opinions of four people, and everyong needs to understand that not all songs, no matter how great they are, will be fun in RB. I like to use my favorite song of all time, Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, as an example. This has been both my favorite song and band for as long as I can remember, and I will really be surprised if I ever find a song that's better. That being said, this would probably be one of the most boring songs ever if it were in RB. If I reviewed Bohemian Rhapsody in RB (assuming that only guitar was charted for guitar), I would honestly tear it apart because it would be awful. People would read my review and most would probably be pissed because they would say that the song is a masterpiece, that we're idiots for saying such terrible things about such an amazing song by an amazing band, etc.

But that's the thing. How FUN a song is really doesn't have a whole lot to do with how great the song is musically. Sin Wagon is one of my favorite songs to play in the entire RB series, yet I completely despise country. Way back in GH2, my favorite song by FAR was Institutionalized, but the song was absolute crap IMO. On the other hand, songs like 18 and Life, Under Pressure, and Ring of Fire are fantastic songs musically, but they're terrible to have in a guitar game (speaking strictly about guitar here, Under Pressure is obviously great on vocals). All four of us agree 100% that Mordecai is an absolutely amazing song to listen to. Between the Buried and Me is one of HA's favorite bands, and I'm personally a big fan as well, and Mordecai is both of our favorite song by them, so don't think we have it out for the song or anything like that.

And finally, as for RGS being pissed off about this one review, I think you should go back to Episode #1 where we reviewed Push Push (Lady Lightning) and Drunken Lullabies, both of which were charted by RGS and both of which received pretty positive reviews. Not only that, but another song we reviewed in Episode #2 was Complexity of Light, yet another song charted by RGS. Of the six songs we've released reviews for so far, half of them have been praising songs of RGS. Although I'm sure they'd prefer to receive positive reviews on all of their songs, I highly doubt they're going to be pissed that four gamers don't like one of the 41 songs that they currently have released on RBN (and only on two of the four instruments).

Catch-22;3611640 said:
    @ vVv
    If you don't think we're doing a good job get off your ass and get an XNA membership. Until then don't criticize the playtesters because quite frankly I don't think you could do a better job then most of the people there.
    First off, that's like saying that sports commentators shouldn't criticize baseball players unless they can hit a baseball farther. I definitely don't have the time to do something like this in addition to my normal life (which is a big reason why this review was released a little late). I also do not have an extra $99 just lying around to spend on something that I probably won't use too often. If I had both the money and the time , I would love to be a playtester and give my opinions of songs before they're released, but this is a moot point since I have neither.

And you may not know this, but HellAshes is a charter for RhythmAuthors and has been charting his own songs, on all instruments, in his spare time for many years now. He's also released some of the most fun songs that I have ever played, so I personally respect his opinion on charts since he seems to know them pretty well. Not everyone has to like what he says, but I usually tend to listen to experts when they talk about a subject they know best. Not that HA is necessarily an expert, but most people would admit that he usually knows what he's talking about when it comes to rhythm games.
    dman2309;3611654 said:
    To be honest, whatever these guys say is not really gonna influence my purchases whatsoever. I think if you like the song, you like the song and will purchase it no matter what others' opinions of the songs are. Also, to me, the songs being reviewed are still rather high-profile or should I say more popular than some of the other songs in the RBN.
    And I would absolutely agree with this statement. Don't let us stop you from doing something. I'd compare this to my second favorite Wii game of all time, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Look at the reviews for this game. They're pretty awful for the most part. I read these reviews and talked to other people who had played it, but the consensus was that it wasn't a good game. Did I decide not to buy the game since some people didn't like it? No, I bought the game and played the crap out of it, loving every second of it, and still wanted more after finishing it. We're simply sharing our opinions about three songs. We're just telling everyone what songs we think are fun, which are great songs to listen to, and which songs we can't stand. For those of you on the fence about a song, our reviews could help you decide, or you can read them and completely disregard what we say. It doesn't matter, we're simply trying to help people not waste their money.

Although we all may disagree, Adrenaline truly does appreciate all comments an we do listen to everything you guys have to say. Even if you have something to say that you don't think we'll enjoy reading, but let us know what you're thinking.
  • S1ckH4ndsS1ckH4nds YouTube Guru
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the paragraphs of defenses, but the fact remains, reviews along the lines of "I honestly haven’t got a clue how this piece of s*** managed to get through play testing the way it is" and "I’d stay the f*** away from it if I were you" reeks of unprofessionalism. It's not so much "this song is not fun to play", it's the attitude that "this song is unfun to play because it's charted badly" that is coming off like a slap in the face.

I also was unaware that HellAshes was a charter for RhythmAuthors. It's kind of weird, considering I never saw him post on Creators even once. That's the real irony, I suppose -- if he had issues with the charting, he had more than enough chance to voice his concerns in the playtesting and peer review process. Someone with the experience he has would be invaluable in the Creators club if he contributed to the process.

Keep in mind I had nothing to do with the drum chart, but like the rest of the work my fellow RGS authors put out, I stand behind it. Our current senior drum author, GurnKiller, posted his defense of the chart on Scorehero when another anonymous forumgoer decided to wholeheartedly trash it as if it kicked his puppy, and I fully support his reasoning for the reason the chart turned out the way it did.

That being said, I'm done discussing this. Don't get me wrong, it's not as if I don't appreciate the reviews for the other songs you've mentioned, but try to think before you speak instead of intentionally choosing words intended to incite the next time you feel like giving a negative review. And for gods sake, HA, please be a bit more active in the process. If you're part of the RBN, then make your voice heard BEFORE the song ships, instead of after.
  • HellAshesHellAshes Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    Ok, I'll be throwing my thoughts into the ring.

I've had trouble logging into the creators website for about 2 months now. I have no idea what the problems are, but I've been trying to sort it out and still nothing. When I have the ability to post and such on the creators website, I will do so frequently, as everyone at Rhythm Authors looks for such activity in all of the authors and QA.

Let's not forget, I have fun with the reviews. I try to be professional, but I want to bring entertainment as well. I won't apologize for my review, as it's just my opinion. Sure, I could have been less harsh towards it, but again, I'm trying to write something that people will read. Throwing up a review that just states what I don't like about the chart and why it's not fun and bla bla bla and etc...no one will read that. It's facts with no color or flavor. It's bland. It's boring. I put what I believe most people would think of the song when they start playing it. Being greeted by a pattern that's frustratingly hard followed by fail followed by rage quit.

I've read Gurnkiller's defense on the chart, and yes, there wasn't much they could do. Difficulty still could have been reduced, such as half the bass hits being removed. Nearly every alternate blast section in all RB songs are charted with double bass hits so that route could have been taken for this song due to it's unorthodox pattern. There's always a balance between accuracy and fun. As time goes on, more and more charters tend to slide towards the side of accuracy to much, in my opinion. You never see a chart like Jordan anymore. Imagine if it was charted today note for note. It wouldn't have the tapping pattern that's learn-able and fun to play, and would most likely not be fun at all.
  • A New Pyro FoolA New Pyro Fool Forum Comedian
    edited April 2010
    I enjoyed the non-offensive reviews this time around. Officially picking up none of the tracks, although Watch it All Go Down is going on to my iPod.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited April 2010
    yay! You did lesser known songs!
  • weeyooweeyoo Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    This is a question for the OP -

I've recently been in contact with the manager of Victory Records about more BTBAM on RBN, and he told me he was negotiating Obfuscation with an authoring company.

Are you the authoring company that he is talking about? If so, I would imagine the chart (if the song gets confirmed) would be as accurate as HellAshes chart.
    edited April 2010
    weeyoo;3631218 said:
    This is a question for the OP -

I've recently been in contact with the manager of Victory Records about more BTBAM on RBN, and he told me he was negotiating Obfuscation with an authoring company.

Are you the authoring company that he is talking about? If so, I would imagine the chart (if the song gets confirmed) would be as accurate as HellAshes chart.
    Well if you're talking about vVv Gaming, we're a worldwide professional gaming organization, not a Rock Band authoring company. If you're talking about Rhythm Authors, which HellAshes charts songs for, I know that he had to sign an NDA not to discuss any of the songs that they are currently working on until it's in playtesting or gets approved. So I have no idea which company they are in touch with, but my guess would be Rock Gamer Studio since they also did Mordecai.

And if the chart is similar to HellAshes' chart, than it should be really fun. Unfortunately, I foresee the same problems (HOPOs in the middle of strumming sections when the should be strum notes) happening in Obfuscation as did with Mordecai. Hopefully they prove my wrong because I'm very excited about this getting in RBN.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited April 2010
    I didn't care much for the vocal reviews.

for the Texas In July song I kinda got the vibe that he rated it low because he can't do the screams properly...

otherwise pretty good