Should Neversoft just be an Author for RBN?

aperfectorestesaperfectorestes Opening Act
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Given the state of the Guitar Hero games, and the decline in their popularity, should Neversoft give up the GH banner and make songs for the RBN.

We could get some of the decent Neversoft bands like Endless Sporadic.

I don't think it is extremely likely, but I would love to see it happen.

It could be sort of the way that Nintendo and Sega used to compete and Sega failed at consoles so they started just making games for Nintendo and other consoles.

I think it is a great idea.

Comments

• General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I support this, they have a decent licensing team.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    hippodragon9;3580981 said:
    Say what you like, but I LOVE their bass charting. They suck at toms, though.
    The problem with their drum charts is that they are aimed at Guitar Hero drums. It just doesn't work for Rock Band drums.
  • bootz0rsbootz0rs Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    There are quite a few songs from Neversoft bands I would love to have and a bunch of An Endless Sporadic songs I would love. Maybe after April we will start seeing some.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2010
    KEWB;3580854 said:
    I'd love to see some Endless Sporadic on RB, but I agree that's it's not very likely. At least not yet. GH still doing fairly well in sales. If and when it does happen though, I can imagine it being quite a hit on their charters' egos to have their charts rejected over and over again.

You obviously missed the news where a lot of the neversoft team has been sacked and the rest of the team are getting the same treatment after GH6 is completed in April.

But they've got a lot of talented people on their team despite if you like or dislike guitar hero. I've always felt that GH was charted like it was to make it feel different from RB. Otherwise we'd just have two RB games on the market ;)

I'm sure if or when they do decide to chart stuff for RBN(kind of like Wavegroup), they could adapt to the RB style quite easily.

IMO.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2010
    Yeesh, you guys are directing your hate towards Neversoft for some reason. I do not know why

I would love to see Neversoft authoring in Rock Band
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    blzbub74;3580828 said:
    With the way that they've butchered GH, do we really want them having anything to do with RB?
    GH5 was better than RB2.

So if they butchered it, then I feel sorry for Harmonix.

That said, Endless Sporadic would be nice.
  • deathmonkeydeathmonkey Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    KEWB;3580854 said:
    I'd love to see some Endless Sporadic on RB, but I agree that's it's not very likely. At least not yet. GH still doing fairly well in sales. If and when it does happen though, I can imagine it being quite a hit on their charters' egos to have their charts rejected over and over again.
    Would they even get so far as actually making a chart? I'd imagine they would go crazy because there's no Expert+ difficulty...

Semi-related question...do each of the four difficulty charts have to be created separately or do the authors just do the expert level and the system makes the 3 lower levels?
    edited March 2010
    deathmonkey;3581088 said:
    Would they even get so far as actually making a chart? I'd imagine they would go crazy because there's no Expert+ difficulty...

Semi-related question...do each of the four difficulty charts have to be created separately or do the authors just do the expert level and the system makes the 3 lower levels?
    All created manually.

Also, I think you guys are being way too harsh on Neversoft (even though this is a Rock Band forum).
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    I agree, Neversoft does fine.

Remember they are slaves to Activision right now.
  • espherespher Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Even if it was just their 'house' bands, there's definitely some potential.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    inb4 toymachine (rightly) makes a snarky comment about how stupid this thread is.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited March 2010
    I could possibly see some people from Neversoft that got laid off making an authoring group if they aren't soured on the plastic instrument genre of course.

Also Neversoft's charting staff can probably chart better than a large majority of the stuff submitted for Peer Review. Don't kid yourself.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    toymachineSH;3581333 said:
    I could see some people from Neversoft that got laid off making an authoring group if they aren't soured on the plastic instrument genre of course.

Also Neversoft's charting staff can probably chart better than a large majority of the stuff submitted for Peer Review. Don't kid yourself.
    inb4 "GO DIE FANBOI"

He's right, people, alot of the RBN charts are pretty terrible, and people on here just hate NS because they chart accurately.
  • GoatbusterGoatbuster Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Thom1234;3581334 said:
    inb4 "GO DIE FANBOI"

He's right, people, alot of the RBN charts are pretty terrible, and people on here just hate NS because they chart accurately.
    Show me these charts, because the majority of tracks that I have checked out had very good charts. Except that Descend Into the... song and that new guitar-only song, I have no problems with the tracks submitted to the RBN. Which is more than I could say about Neversoft (at least old Neversoft)
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2010
    RockGamer has super high quality, nearly Harmonix-worthy. Mickstafa, TheAuthority, and RhythmAuthors are in the next tier of quality in my mind, and then it kinda drops off after that

I mean, go die fanboy
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Goatbuster;3581342 said:
    Show me these charts, because the majority of tracks that I have checked out had very good charts. Except that Descend Into the... song and that new guitar-only song, I have no problems with the tracks submitted to the RBN. Which is more than I could say about Neversoft (at least old Neversoft)
    watch out, hes gonna show you easy charts with 3 fret chords and medium charts with orange frets in it!

no seriously, people think theyd make better charts, but lets face it, theyd have to follow ALL the charting rules put forth, and most of their charts for GH in the past do not follow said rules to begin with that RBN set forth for them
    edited March 2010
    vedis;3581368 said:
    watch out, hes gonna show you easy charts with 3 fret chords and medium charts with orange frets in it!

no seriously, people think theyd make better charts, but lets face it, theyd have to follow ALL the charting rules put forth, and most of their charts for GH in the past do not follow said rules to begin with that RBN set forth for them
    You are really exaggerating here. Through the Fire and Flame is as overcharted as overcharted gets and has no chords on easy.

Actually, Harmonix is the only one to put orange frets on medium. Which ironically, is also coming to RBN ("Arterial Black" - Drist).
    edited March 2010
    DragoonXD;3581377 said:
    You are really exaggerating here. Through the Fire and Flame is as overcharted as overcharted gets and has no chords on easy.

Actually, Harmonix is the only one to put orange frets on medium. Which ironically, is also coming to RBN ("Arterial Black" - Drist).
    you need to look over songs made in the past a bit more closely, GH3 was riddled with orange notes in medium
    edited March 2010
    vedis;3581383 said:
    you need to look over songs made in the past a bit more closely, GH3 was riddled with orange notes in medium
    Name one please? At the time GHIII came out, I was at a medium skill level and played (on that difficulty) all the time. I don't remember any orange on medium.
  • thrillhouse987thrillhouse987 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    DragoonXD;3581389 said:
    Name one please? At the time GHIII came out, I was at a medium skill level and played (on that difficulty) all the time. I don't remember any orange on medium.
    The only medium chart I ever remember having an orange note was Push Push Lady Lightning in GH2..
    edited March 2010
    DragoonXD;3581389 said:
    i was on medium too and i had a few wtf moments when i saw them, cant remember what songs they were on, cant even check now that ive sold my game back to gamestop many a years ago

but that game is infamously overcharted to begin with and pretty much none of those songs would pass peer review
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Arterial Black had a Orange note on Medium

BAWWWWWWWWWW
    edited March 2010
    toymachineSH;3581463 said:

BAWWWWWWWWWW
    I don't believe I was bawing, considering I was defending Guitar Hero for once.
    edited March 2010
    toymachineSH;3581463 said:

BAWWWWWWWWWW
    i think the point is, neversoft would probly have to tone down the charting in general
    they have a habit of charting for difficulty rather then accuracy

chords when there doesnt need to be
    3 note chords when they dont need to be
    harder notes then difficulties call for
    notes where notes dont even belong
  • dmbdawdmbdaw Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    vedis;3581537 said:
    i think the point is, neversoft would probly have to tone down the charting in general
    they have a habit of charting for difficulty rather then accuracy

chords when there doesnt need to be
    3 note chords when they dont need to be
    harder notes then difficulties call for
    notes where notes dont even belong
    ^THIS
    I can remember reading once that neversoft/activision charted them for difficulty and not accuracy. This was their way of being different.
  • j-tork800j-tork800 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    While Neversoft can be accused of overcharting, I'm going to say that HMX has undercharted a few songs. Don't get me wrong; I love RB but the beginning of All My Life by the Foo Fighters is a chord in real life and HMX made it one note. Same with the intro to Well Thought Out Twinkles. I'm not arguing for anyone's side. I'm just saying no one is perfect and while some are atrocious, GH does have some accurate charts.
    edited March 2010
    j-tork800;3581561 said:
    While Neversoft can be accused of overcharting, I'm going to say that HMX has undercharted a few songs. Don't get me wrong; I love RB but the beginning of All My Life by the Foo Fighters is a chord in real life and HMX made it one note. Same with the intro to Well Thought Out Twinkles. I'm not arguing for anyone's side. I'm just saying no one is perfect and while some are atrocious, GH does have some accurate charts.
    while some feel undercharting may happen, you must remember, that sometimes, you have to choose which guitar to chart, when there are more then 1......and if you choose the "Easier" part, is that really undercharting?

but yes, neversoft and activition have both been guilty of stating that they chart for difficulty, cuz players dont want "Easy" songs, and i think its mainly because they totaly missed the point of what these music games are about in the first place

The friggin Music!
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Thom1234;3581334 said:
    Wow. Troll much?

How is it "accurate" to chart the same note as first a single note, then a chord, then a triple chord? Because that's what Neversoft did.

They charted songs like levels. Even if the hardest part was at the "beginning" they would find a way to chart the song so it got harder as it went....as if it were some boss that needed to be conquered.
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I would wholly support Neversoft charting songs for the RBN. It's just so cool to bash them over here for no reason because they were competition. Please remember, it is not Neversoft who killed the GH franchise (or killing). Activision ran the well dry and whored the game out until it became so unpopular.

Neversoft has done many superb charts and I see them working for the RBN as a possible bridging the gap in the music game genre. They have talent ok. People are just so quick to point at TTFAF and yell OVERCHARTED WHAAAAAAAAAAAA while passing over the rest of their entire library. I, for one, preferred how Neversoft charted Ramblin' Man on guitar over HMX's charting.

Get your fanboyism out of your head for a second and think about the positives something like this could bring.
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3581684 said:
    Wow. Troll much?

How is it "accurate" to chart the same note as first a single note, then a chord, then a triple chord? Because that's what Neversoft did.

They charted songs like levels. Even if the hardest part was at the "beginning" they would find a way to chart the song so it got harder as it went....as if it were some boss that needed to be conquered.
    people are just blind to this FACT