International Bands?

nbalive2005nbalive2005 Rising Star
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I was wondering when international bands would be able to add their songs to RBN. Namely, the Philippines, the place where i was born but am currently residing in Texas

Try listening to this song, it's just one of the many (great) rock songs that come out of the Philippine music scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuiH9l3cuwQ

The drums are really the highlight of the song. It has a definite Keith Moon-esque feel to it, the bass is strong and while the guitar would be easy it would still be fun to play. The lyrics are in our native tongue but there is an English bridge, which by the way also has incredible drums.

Would like to hear your reviews on this musically.

If anyone wants the, English translations for the lyrics are here http://www.soulcast.com/post/show/60898/English-Translation:-Hallelujah

Comments

• KonadorKonador Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I think international bands can be on RBN, as long as they pay someone in the US to actually make the tracks.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    Already quite a few international bands in RBN

15 Canada
    5 England
    2 Finland
    1 Germany
    1 Italy
    1 Wales
    1 Costa Rica
    1 New Zealand
    1 Israel
    1 Sweden
    1 Brazil
    1 South Africa
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Yea, if you work with a US authoring group you can get in no problem. We've got clients from Italy, UK, and Netherlands already. And there's a few Swedish groups I'm really trying to convince...
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    TBH, I fail to understand the "only Americans can submit songs" rule. At all.

Can't blame that one on Microsoft, because the XNA allows people from different countries to submit content (i.e., indie games) readily enough -- the UK, Germany, Canada, Sweden, even Australia. And more.

So if indie gamemakers from XNA-approved nations can submit content, why is the XNA-based RBN limited to American submissions....???
  • bwschulzebwschulze Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    FairwoodStudios;3581674 said:
    Yea, if you work with a US authoring group you can get in no problem. We've got clients from Italy, UK, and Netherlands already. And there's a few Swedish groups I'm really trying to convince...
    I support trying to get foreign bands in the RBN. Could you try getting Exit Ten, Enter Shikari, Before the Dawn, Deadlock, Jaded Sun and Dead Letter Circus? :)
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3581784 said:
    TBH, I fail to understand the "only Americans can submit songs" rule. At all.

Can't blame that one on Microsoft, because the XNA allows people from different countries to submit content (i.e., indie games) readily enough -- the UK, Germany, Canada, Sweden, even Australia. And more.

So if indie gamemakers from XNA-approved nations can submit content, why is the XNA-based RBN limited to American submissions....???
    It seems like they are working on expanding that - I think the main issue is that there are all the added legal issues that come from music licensing rights and the many varieties (especially between national and international labels). It really is a minefield full of legal pitfalls.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    ShiningIdeal;3581856 said:
    It seems like they are working on expanding that - I think the main issue is that there are all the added legal issues that come from music licensing rights and the many varieties (especially between national and international labels). It really is a minefield full of legal pitfalls.
    Lawyers....I knew I could smell 'em from a mile away.

Still, it seems like circular (il)logic when it comes right down to it --- if, say, a band from Finland wanted to get their music to America via RBN, then why is it okay for them to have their music charted/distributed by an American author, but *not* okay for them to just author the music themselves and upload it to the RBN from Finland....??? :confused:
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3581880 said:
    Lawyers....I knew I could smell 'em from a mile away.

Still, it seems like circular (il)logic when it comes right down to it --- if, say, a band from Finland wanted to get their music to America via RBN, then why is it okay for them to have their music charted/distributed by an American author, but *not* okay for them to just author the music themselves and upload it to the RBN from Finland....??? :confused:
    It's all about where the payment is being made to, which in this case would be the U.S. A lot of issue/concerns/varying laws come into play when other countries come into play.
  • KonadorKonador Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I just wish we had some kind of timescale for release in the UK. I've been really looking forward to authoring my friend's tracks ever since RBN was announced, but it's got to the point now that I've suggested he start emailing some of the US authoring groups. It's a shame really, as we could have worked together much more closely than he can with someone a zillion miles away to make sure the songs were perfect. However, say I knew we'd get access in May, I'd suggest he hold off from submitting to other groups so that we could work more closely (and he could get a bigger share of the profits!)
  • PMSanexPMSanex Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Yup already International bands on RBN. It's just funny because Magma doesn't list many countries so they are still listed under US ;)
  • pong0814pong0814 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    nbalive2005;3581315 said:
    I was wondering when international bands would be able to add their songs to RBN. Namely, the Philippines, the place where i was born but am currently residing in Texas.
    Coming from the Philippines myself (and currently residing in Winnipeg), I would LOVE to have some of the Pinoy bands land on RBN. It would really make my day (year?) if we had some Eraserheads/Parokya ni Edgar/Wolfgang songs in here.

Technically they can submit their songs through a charting group based in the U.S., but I believe the main issue is (can't remember which thread I found this in) the lack of playtesters who would actually be able to playtest the vocals portion who can actually speak/sing the dialect.
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    i would love some metal bands from spain.. but then again its not after me.
  • yulsyuls Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    FairwoodStudios;3581674 said:
    I contacted the a Chilean Group called Los Tres they are interested and viewing how to enter the RBN
  • nbalive2005nbalive2005 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    pong0814;3582728 said:
    Coming from the Philippines myself (and currently residing in Winnipeg), I would LOVE to have some of the Pinoy bands land on RBN. It would really make my day (year?) if we had some Eraserheads/Parokya ni Edgar/Wolfgang songs in here.

Technically they can submit their songs through a charting group based in the U.S., but I believe the main issue is (can't remember which thread I found this in) the lack of playtesters who would actually be able to playtest the vocals portion who can actually speak/sing the dialect.
    Eraserheads! The Filipino Beatles, all for them, though i havnt really listened to their albums yet, any recommendations? And i dont see Parokya ni Edgar in RBN, since even though i do enjoy them, their type of music wouldnt really fit.

To everybody else out there, any comments musically on the song posted?
  • pong0814pong0814 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    nbalive2005;3583886 said:
    Eraserheads! The Filipino Beatles, all for them, though i havnt really listened to their albums yet, any recommendations? And i dont see Parokya ni Edgar in RBN, since even though i do enjoy them, their type of music wouldnt really fit.
    Most people would recommend "Circus" when getting into the Eraserheads since most of their "hit" singles came from that album ("Alapaap", "Magasin", "Huling El Bimbo"), but personally, I prefer "Cutterpillow" musically. Lyrics started going out the window, but it's the tightest the band has ever played, IMO. And I would never skip "UltraelectomagneticPop". (So basically their first three albums!)

As for Parokya ni Edgar, I'd go beyond the songs that made them famous. Most of them would be repeated chord-fests -- although admittedly would be fun to sing -- and lord knows how to get around the rights issues with their novelty/parody songs (I mean, "Picha Pie"? "Trip"?). "Silvertoes", for instance although relatively simple, sounds fun to play on drums and bass. And imagine playing "Bagsakan". Chito Miranda, FrancisM, and Glock 9? Man, that's all talkies right there, but that would be awesome at (Filipino) parties!