Hypothetical Exchange of Personal Beliefs with the Question Presented in the Thread

HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Still Alive is the most downloaded song in all of Rock Band. Think Still Alive would be the highest selling RBN song if it was released on RBN release day while worth 80msp?

Comments

• T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    It may be a higher profile release, but it was the FIRST free RB song, which gave it a lot of hype at the time.

If it came to the RBN it would have been several years "too late", and been overwhelemed by the overal excitement of the RBN and bands such as Bang Camero, Jonathan Coulton, Flight of the Conchords, Drowning Pool, and etc.

That said, I'd probably have still bought it.
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I exchange all my beliefs for this hypothesis.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I would have bought it, but there's no way it would have been a top seller. As T-Hybrid points out, Still Alive's time in the sun has faded. If RBN had launched two years ago, it probably would have stood a strong shot, especially amongst the other launch songs.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    HeyRiles;3583752 said:
    Still Alive is the most downloaded song in all of Rock Band. Think Still Alive would be the highest selling RBN song if it was released on RBN release day while worth 80msp?
    Um, no.

What's the hypothesis, by the way? An extension of the $2 vs. $3 war, or free stuff wouldn't sell if it had a pricetag attached, or RBN is catering to nerdcore....?
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2010
    It's not a hypothesis, it's a hypothetical situation....?
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    HeyRiles;3583864 said:
    It's not a hypothesis, it's a hypothetical situation....?
    Okay. Just wondering if you were trying to illustrate a point about it, is all.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    HeyRiles;3583752 said:
    Still Alive is the most downloaded song in all of Rock Band.
    Mostly because it's free, methinks.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3583920 said:
    Mostly because it's free, methinks.
    And partly because it references something that is still incredibly popular. If it cost money, it might not have generated as many downloads, but it'd still be fairly high in the list.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    i think it would still have an extremely high downoad rate

but would not be #1
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    No. Maybe in the top 10.
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited March 2010
    No way in hell I would have bought this dumb song. I only got it because it's free.

It was the first free song and came out during the gold rush of Rock Band 1 and wouldn't be a hit like it is if released now or a few months ago.
  • Chuck_FiascoChuck_Fiasco Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited March 2010
    HeyRiles;3583752 said:
    No.

Timingwise, it would probably have sold incredibly well were it released at 80MSP on Portal 2's release date.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    T-Hybrid;3583753 said:
    It may be a higher profile release, but it was the FIRST free RB song, which gave it a lot of hype at the time.

If it came to the RBN it would have been several years "too late", and been overwhelemed by the overal excitement of the RBN and bands such as Bang Camero, Jonathan Coulton, Flight of the Conchords, Drowning Pool, and etc.

That said, I'd probably have still bought it.
    I agree with the entirety of this post.

I do have one thing to say though: If it wasn't for Still Alive, I am not sure if JoCo would be quite as big of a name to the Rock Band community. Yeah, JoCo has a following outside of Rock Band, but a lot of Rock Banders discovered him through this song. They may not have bought Skullcrusher Mountain, Re: Your Brains, or any of the RBN JoCo songs without it.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    JoCo may not have made his RB debut until the PAX Pack...but at that time he may have decided to lead with the much more familiar "Code Monkey" instead of "Skullcrusher Mountain".

Because he may not be a HUGE artist to the gaming market...that song at least is fairly well known.
  • Nitz13Nitz13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Nope, there is only one real reason it's the most downloaded song and that's as other have mentioned it was the first free song, and if I remember correctly it was the only song that week. So you had the free song, or nothing for that week.
  • JormJorm Road Warrior
    edited March 2010