Two more questions

bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
1. For the PS3's RBN selections, has pricing been confirmed to be the same as for the 360's store?

2. Has there ever been a clarification for the 30 day exclusivity period? The last (only) official statement I can find was from HMXSean in the Official RBN Discussion Thread on 7-17-2009: "Just saw that. Not sure exactly what that is on about but will investigate. The way the process will work is that we will be able to pick songs that rise to the top and hand move them over to the other systems when possible. Our dream is that one day we can get this to be universal on all infrastructures."

Comments

• vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    bigmf;3585705 said:
    1. For the PS3's RBN selections, has pricing been confirmed to be the same as for the 360's store?

2. Has there ever been a clarification for the 30 day exclusivity period? The last (only) official statement I can find was from HMXSean in the Official RBN Discussion Thread on 7-17-2009: "Just saw that. Not sure exactly what that is on about but will investigate. The way the process will work is that we will be able to pick songs that rise to the top and hand move them over to the other systems when possible. Our dream is that one day we can get this to be universal on all infrastructures."
    1) no, but probly will be same
    2) no
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    bigmf;3585705 said:

2. Has there ever been a clarification for the 30 day exclusivity period? The last (only) official statement I can find was from HMXSean in the Official RBN Discussion Thread on 7-17-2009
    1. Officially confirmed, no. But widely assumed, yes.

2. The RBN Press Release from 3-04-2010 is pretty official:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184757
    Songs will debut exclusively on Xbox 360 for 30 days. A selection of standout tracks will then be made available on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system from Sony Computer Entertainment America and the Wii™ home videogame console from Nintendo.
    In answer to "What constitutes a 'standout track'?", HMXEnosity replied on 7-20-2009:
    HMXEnosity;2747012 said:
    There will be many factors such as RBN popularity, Band popularity, HMX picks, fan favorites, etc..
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3586183 said:
    1. Officially confirmed, no. But widely assumed, yes.

2. The RBN Press Release from 3-04-2010 is pretty official:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184757

In answer to "What constitutes a 'standout track'?", HMXEnosity replied on 7-20-2009:
    For question 2 I guess I was not very clear on what I was looking for. HMXSean's response in my first post was a clarification on a discussion that started somewhere around this (from a thread that was closed on that day):

Originally Posted by kingtonyx
    {Points 1-4 and 6 edited out}

5. All RBN tracks are 360 exclusive, with select tracks being sent over to PS3 and Wii after 30 days.

HMXSean's response:

regarding #5 that isn't true. We will be picking some of the songs from the service and hand migrating them to the other consoles when its possible.

And continued in the main thread:

Originally Posted by aspiring
    So hold on a minute i just read the tracks are exclusive to the 360 for 30 days. Now if this thing ever does get up and running on the PS3, how will that work? HMXSean?

Sean's response:
    I don't know where you read that but that is simply untrue. The whole process runs through Microsoft's existing XNA infrastructure (which is what made an epic project like this possible in the first place). We hope to pick some of the premium songs that come through the service and get them on to other systems as they can handle them.

Anyway, it seemed that there was some uncertainty as to the exclusivity period that would be clarified later. The best I can surmise is that the thirty days is an estimate of time required by HMX to move a song from the RBN through all or some of the steps required for them to show up on the PS store or Wii shop. Of course this is a huge assumption based on spotty information. And you know what the say about that - When you're associated you make an ass out o' the CIA and Ted. (or something like that, I can never remember that old saying.)
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    bigmf;3586868 said:
    For question 2 I guess I was not very clear on what I was looking for. HMXSean's response in my first post was a clarification on a discussion that started somewhere around this (from a thread that was closed on that day:
    Right, that was back in July. The press release, which came out just a few weeks ago, explicitly states "Songs will debut exclusively on Xbox 360 for 30 days". That's very clear. Nothing needs to be assumed about that at all.

Whether the 30 days is the length of time it takes to get a song ported or whatever else the reason may be is irrelevant. The fact remains that there is a 30 day exclusivity period for RBN songs on the 360.
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3586929 said:
    Right, that was back in July. The press release, which came out just a few weeks ago, explicitly states "Songs will debut exclusively on Xbox 360 for 30 days". That's very clear. Nothing needs to be assumed about that at all.

Whether the 30 days is the length of time it takes to get a song ported or whatever else the reason may be is irrelevant. The fact remains that there is a 30 day exclusivity period for RBN songs on the 360.
    Well, it's relevant to me. If HMX can't touch the songs until 30 days have passed, we're looking at at least 60 days before we see anything RBN related on the PS3, as they need to be packaged into a PS3 executable download file and pass through Sony's QA. If they are able to do that kind of stuff during the thirty day period, the songs could come quite a bit earlier. That part is not clear, and there are people in the RBN forum stating that the songs are untouchable for thirty days.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    bigmf;3586953 said:
    Well, it's relevant to me. If HMX can't touch the songs until 30 days have passed, we're looking at at least 60 days before we see anything RBN related on the PS3, as they need to be packaged into a PS3 executable download file and pass through Sony's QA. If they are able to do that kind of stuff during the thirty day period, the songs could come quite a bit earlier. That part is not clear, and there are people in the RBN forum stating that the songs are untouchable for thirty days.
    one thing i must say

does it really matter?

the songs will become available when they become available, the important thing at this point for ps3 users is to voice WHICH songs they want, not WHEN they want them
    edited March 2010
    vedis;3587239 said:
    one thing i must say

does it really matter?

the songs will become available when they become available, the important thing at this point for ps3 users is to voice WHICH songs they want, not WHEN they want them
    Nothing on this forum really matters in the grand scheme of things, but it interests me and there are some songs out there that I am looking forward to. I've posted in the request thread a few times now, so I've got the first part covered. Given that there's thirty day exclusivity, I figure I have just enough time to fit in both the which and the when discussions, along with a quick discussion on how much.