Reaper; Dream Theatre Metropolis Pt 1

ustolemygmrtagustolemygmrtag Unsigned
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
This is my 1st venture forth into the realm known as Reaper. Boy, this is very difficult to do.

Dream Theatre, and their label have not officially endorsed this, but working on them. I have not received the Master yet. But, I have been told by legitament sources it is on its way, to give them a good sample of what RBN would be like for Them. If they were to veture forth. :eek:

So, that being said, I have been working with the CD version. No small feat to say the least.

Here is what I have gotten to so far.

Drums,
Are nowhere near complete. I have set reaper to find the Snare and Kick. But, it doesnt get all of them. As for manualy editing, it is a slow agonizing process. But, It is very rewarding. I have only completed the pre intro, still working on those darn tomtoms, the are a beast to do on this song.

Guitar.
This was simple really, I have some timing issues, but what I did was found a midi version of just the guitar track and used it. So far it is quite accurate. Still have to polish up the fills and solo's. But overall, I would say it looks good. Now, the guitar timing tward the middle gets off by a second, but I will repair that tonight, or tomorro.

I have started uploading a crappy vid I took with my cell phone of the reaper preview screen. Vid is terrible, and audio is too. But, it is just to give you something to see what I have been doing for the past 2 weeks. Yes, 2 weeks. Not much done on my part, but I am still learning this great app.

I will post the Vid link here soon as it is done loading up to youtube. :p

Ok here it is. It is still rendering, be done in 15 min from now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohS-Ni5_RbU

Once the Masters get here, this version will be distroyed. This is a test and a learning job for me. I have been in the music bussiness for 20+ years. So, I do know my way around a board. And Reaper is easy enough. But, The RB addons are what is throwing me off.

Comments

• brownies4allbrownies4all Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    That was around what I thought until I saw,
    Dream Theatre, and their label have not officially endorsed this, but working on them. I have not received the Master yet. But, I have been told by legitament sources it is on its way, to give them a good sample of what RBN would be like for Them. If they were to veture forth.
    With the masters "on its way", I was beginning to think that that sure makes for a fancy custom.
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    But he first says "Dream Theater and their label have not officially endorsed this" meaning they don't even know he is doing this.

The whole bit about receiving the masters is probably wishful thinking on his part. He thinks that if Dream Theater sees his chart that they might send him the masters to publish it. Which, by the way, will definitely not happen. I started watching the video, but the chart is completely devoid of any sort of BPM syncing with the song which is crucial to a good chart.
  • ustolemygmrtagustolemygmrtag Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I have been in contact with certain band members. They are very interested in this proposition. I am just posting this, so I can get others to maybey get excited too. So They will see there is a market for their music in Rockband.

They have said they like what Harmonix did with " Panic Attack" But, would like to see what some of their more popular song would do in the same setting.

I am in no way saying that they will use what I am creating, But, I hope it will give them some definate influence to at least get it ingame. ;)
    Kariodude;3586047 said:
    But he first says "Dream Theater and their label have not officially endorsed this" meaning they don't even know he is doing this.

The whole bit about receiving the masters is probably wishful thinking on his part. He thinks that if Dream Theater sees his chart that they might send him the masters to publish it. Which, by the way, will definitely not happen. I started watching the video, but the chart is completely devoid of any sort of BPM syncing with the song which is crucial to a good chart.

The masters are definately coming. I have it on high athority. But, I have been thinking, since they were created in 1990, I wonder in what format? CD, Reel to reel, Dat tape, Midi file? I just dont know. And that scares me. lol.

As far as the BPM, I have used it, But Like I said earlier, the guitar, is a midi render That i Added. That is why it is so off. If you watch the drums are dead on BPM wise. I am still editing them.

But, I have no idea how to do the Venue, and the charicter motions. But, I guess I will learn as I go.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Those 4 chord things needs to go bad.
    edited March 2010
    Well at this point all I say is good luck and DON'T SCREW THIS UP FOR THE REST OF US! And I seriously commend you, not just for your first foray into Reaper, but for doing it with DT.
  • grim88grim88 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    When in contact with the band...please spell their name correctly...
  • TheUnrivaledTheUnrivaled Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    No offense, but please try REALLY REALLY hard, or let somebody that isn't going to learn as he goes take on Dream Theater
    edited March 2010
    grim88;3586075 said:
    When in contact with the band...please spell their name correctly...

LOL, I didnt even notice. :eek: typos rule.
    edited March 2010
    General Lein979;3586051 said:
    Those 4 chord things needs to go bad.
    Well, some of them do, If you play guitar, for and all strings are used for chords.

But, I have to say, if you think it is too hard, I can condense them to 3.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    ustolemygmrtag;3586100 said:
    Well, some of them do, If you play guitar, for and all strings are used for chords.

the main reason its being said, is when you actualy chart for RBN, you are not allowed to use 4 note chords AT ALL, and 3 note chords are expert only i believe

there is a luandry list of rules you have to use, and if your trying to show people whats done, i suggest following said rules so you can show them more accurately whats going to be done
  • TheUnrivaledTheUnrivaled Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    ustolemygmrtag;3586100 said:

This makes me very afraid.:eek:
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, also, what are those magic chords that are strictly no-nos? GYO? GRO? Somewhere around there. I forget. Also, resist the temptation to chart double bass on drums.
    edited March 2010
    vedis;3586103 said:
    the main reason its being said, is when you actualy chart for RBN, you are not allowed to use 4 note chords AT ALL, and 3 note chords are expert only i believe

there is a luandry list of rules you have to use, and if your trying to show people whats done, i suggest following said rules so you can show them more accurately whats going to be done

Dude, it was a joke, sarcasm. I know the rules, and i know, you also cannot have double bass in a song.

Like I said before, you are looking at an unfinished and basically a throwaway render. Until I get the masters.

Also, Nothing against Harminix, but, I think alot of the rules are too strict. They limit the songs you can chart correctly. But, everyone has the right to do what they want with their own title.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Your beat track sucks. If you send this as is, it would be an absolutely disgrace. All in all this is a pretty crappy sample of RBN for DT. Maybe you should let Rock Gamers or Rhythm Authors (etc.) deal with them.
    edited March 2010
    Catch-22;3586121 said:
    Your beat track sucks. If you send this as is, it would be an absolutely disgrace. All in all this is a pretty crappy sample of RBN for DT. Maybe you should let Rock Gamers or Rhythm Authors (etc.) deal with them.

LOL, I guess you didnt read the post at the top. You might want to read an entire thread before posting something that make you look bad.

And since you didnt read hear is a quote,

Drums,
    Are nowhere near complete. I have set reaper to find the Snare and Kick. But, it doesnt get all of them. As for manualy editing, it is a slow agonizing process. But, It is very rewarding. I have only completed the pre intro, still working on those darn tomtoms, the are a beast to do on this song.

Guitar.
    This was simple really, I have some timing issues, but what I did was found a midi version of just the guitar track and used it. So far it is quite accurate. Still have to polish up the fills and solo's. But overall, I would say it looks good. Now, the guitar timing tward the middle gets off by a second, but I will repair that tonight, or tomorro.

I have started uploading a crappy vid I took with my cell phone of the reaper preview screen. Vid is terrible, and audio is too.
    Once the Masters get here, this version will be distroyed. This is a test and a learning job for me. I have been in the music bussiness for 20+ years. So, I do know my way around a board. And Reaper is easy enough. But, The RB addons are what is throwing me off.
    edited March 2010
    ustolemygmrtag;3586130 said:
    LOL, I guess you didnt read the post at the top. You might want to read an entire thread before posting something that make you look bad.
    I read the thread. It's unfinished I get it, but Beat tracks are the first thing you should do. You post a video, you're going to get feedback. The only that looks bad is you.
    edited March 2010
    Catch-22;3586133 said:
    I read the thread. It's unfinished I get it, but Beat tracks are the first thing you should do. You post a video, you're going to get feedback. The only that looks bad is you.

Yes Sir. lol
    I am trying, so dont get all bent out of shape if they are not perfect YET.

OK, have fun guys, off to straiten up the beat track now.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Catch-22;3586133 said:
    i agree

if your going to be seriously doing the tracks, dont half ass it as a preview to ANYONE, start serious, and then use what you do, and transfer it over to the serious project you plan on doing down the line

otherwise, your making yourself look bad, and if you represent someone in this fassion, you make them look bad too wether or not you state ahead of time that its not serious
  • Mister_DerpMister_Derp Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    No offense, but with a band as widely loved and frequently requested as Dream Theater, you should probably let someone with experience handle it. Not to mention how technical all their stuff is. A first timer really shouldn't be charting their music.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited March 2010
    It's not just that it's unfinished or imperfect, it flat-out breaks one of the easiest rules to follow. Read the documentation on authoring before you begin. Hell, look at the songs you've played. Have you seen a single four-button chord? These songs are meant to blend in with the tracks that Harmonix charts, and if you don't like the rules, stay out of their game.

And for God's sake, spell the band's name right.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    ustolemygmrtag;3586049 said:
    I have been in contact with certain band members. They are very interested in this proposition.
    Ya know, for somebody who claimed in another thread to be a "close friend of James LaBrie", you'd think you would know how to spell your friend's band name correctly...
    They have said they like what Harmonix did with " Panic Attack" But, would like to see what some of their more popular song would do in the same setting.
    So, they're completely unaware of the fact that "Constant Motion" is already available as DLC as well? Or that "Pull Me Under" was an on-disc track in Guitar Hero: World Tour? This story just gets better and better...
    The masters are definately coming. I have it on high athority. But, I have been thinking, since they were created in 1990, I wonder in what format? CD, Reel to reel, Dat tape, Midi file?
    Right, from your friend James, as you stated in another thread. And you claim to have 20 years in the music business, yet you think DT's master tapes are MIDI FILES?? Good grief.

Your story has more holes than a pound of Swiss cheese dude.
  • White_PawZWhite_PawZ Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I don't mean to be a jerk but when someone's spelling is that poor (especially when these forums employ a little squiggly red line under every misspelled word) I don't take anything they say very seriously.

I thought DT was already working with an author...
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3586206 said:

Curse you now I'm hungry for some cheese.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3586206 said:
    Ya know, for somebody who claimed in another thread to be a "close friend of James LaBrie", you'd think you would know how to spell your friend's band name correctly...

So, they're completely unaware of the fact that "Constant Motion" is already available as DLC as well? Or that "Pull Me Under" was an on-disc track in Guitar Hero: World Tour? This story just gets better and better...

Right, from your friend James, as you stated in another thread. And you claim to have 20 years in the music business, yet you think DT's master tapes are MIDI FILES?? Good grief.

Agreed. Care to clear any of this up dude and prove you're not full of ****?
    edited March 2010
    Trolls, I should learn not to feed them.

Just cause, I didnt mention those songs, doesnt not mean anything. I mentioned one. And that was enough to get my point across.

And as far as the Spelling, It is a typo. Gees.

And I was just throwing, types of music files that have been used. You really must not have a clue about music mixing. Midi, yes is comp. gen. sounds. So what, you have a bigger E-pen than me. WOW. You won the internets.

So, I start a thread hoping to get support for maybey bringing a top teir band into RBN, and all I get is greif.

Well, for those who accually want More DT ingame, Make sure you post positive stuff, you never know who will be looking at what you said.

BTW, as far as my spelling, I work 16 to 20 hours a day, I do this in what little time I have left. After, Testing games, Working my real job, and mixing music all day. It is very difficult to type accurately. so, please cut me a little slack.
  • RogueaineRogueaine Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    White_PawZ;3586232 said:
    I don't mean to be a jerk but when someone's spelling is that poor (especially when these forums employ a little squiggly red line under every misspelled word) I don't take anything they say very seriously.

I thought DT was already working with an author...
    Came to post the exact same thought. It was pretty unbearable getting through his posts the horrible spelling and grammar, knowing he's at least over 20 years old.

I hope a legitimate person does DT proper justice; been wanting more tracks from them.
    edited March 2010
    ustolemygmrtag;3586294 said:
    Trolls, I should learn not to feed them.
    But then you would die of starvation!
    edited March 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3586304 said:
    But then you would die of starvation!
    ZING! Also, QFT. The people that have been around since 2008 are trolls :rolleyes:
    edited March 2010
    Catch-22;3586309 said:
    ZING! Also, QFT. The people that have been around since 2008 are trolls :rolleyes:
    I see what you did there :rolleyes:
    edited March 2010
This discussion has been closed.