RBN Goes Classical?

Indie_GuyIndie_Guy Banned
edited May 2010 in The Rock Band Network
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbSLNVGCU4w
I'm not sure if it is okay to post this, but I'll buy the hell out of this if it comes.

Comments

• jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3588293 said:
    Thanks for the link. I was just saying this past weekend how I'd love to buy some form of classical music on Rock Band. I have a few Japanese CDs that are classical music done dance music style (the Classical Speed CDs, there's two of 'em, on the Dancemania CD line). They're truly awesome, and the few that are in the DDR games are a lot of fun. There's some classical pieces in the Taiko no Tatsujin (Taiko Drum Master) games and they're really fun to drum to. They'd be awesome in Rock Band.

DO. WANT. NAO!
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited March 2010
    It's too bad the John Williams stuff isn't public domain

"The Imperial March" would be a huge seller
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3588330 said:

True... but nothing says someone can't contact him and try to get it in RBN. :)

I'd buy that too. I actually got to see the man conduct in person a few years ago. The National Symphony (in DC) was playing a bunch of songs from John Williams/Steven Spielburg movies. He conducted the Indiana Jones song. You know which one. :)
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Wow....didn't know the Fauxharmonic was doing opera, too! The Anvil Chorus, Carmen ---- my god, this opens up a whole new devil-tiered can of worms for the vocalists out there. :D
  • GoatbusterGoatbuster Rising Star
    edited March 2010
  • TeamAliceFTWTeamAliceFTW Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3588330 said:

Actually, his best stuff isn't even anything from Star Wars, at least in my opinion. I can't recommend his arrangement of the Star Spangled Banner enough. And Midway March is just amazing.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    oh my god, epicness at its best here :D
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    it is going to be very tempting to not get these
    its been tempting to not playtest them cuz i know id get more into playing then testing lol
    edited March 2010
    The reason I specifically mention the Star Wars stuff from Williams is because Fauxharmonic has done them. Go on the announcement page and look at the player on the right.
    edited March 2010
    kingtonyx;3588370 said:
    The reason I specifically mention the Star Wars stuff from Williams is because Fauxharmonic has done them. Go on the announcement page and look at the player on the right.
    I wasn't even paying attention to that. haha

The problem with that, though, is those are considered covers. Covers are currently a no-no for RBN. If they could get the original John Williams music with his permission, that's different. But their own version probably won't fly.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    So public domain stuff is ok in terms of covers??? So in theory we could get Cannon Rock seeing how he as Jerry C has a studio version? Go get on that authors.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    So what ever happened to the no public domains and covers deal? It's awesome that these are on here, There are a bunch of band's I've contacted that don't wanna get involved because of the no covers/public domain deal. Are those fair game now? If so, I'm gonna contact those bands and tell 'em to come on down!
    edited March 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3588399 said:
    So what ever happened to the no public domains and covers deal? It's awesome that these are on here, There are a bunch of band's I've contacted that don't wanna get involved because of the no covers/public domain deal. Are those fair game now? If so, I'm gonna contact those bands and tell 'em to come on down!
    I'm gonna guess they have to be original arrangements if the covers and not like any other covers of the song. For example you can't do a house of the rising sun cover in the style of the animals.
  • WiiLOL11235WiiLOL11235 Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    edited March 2010
    But it seemed like theirs were just covers, not original arrangements.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited March 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3588399 said:
    Covers - No
    Public Domain - Yes

Also, when I played Night on Bald Mountain the first time I was speechless. So much fun.
    edited March 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3588418 said:
    But it seemed like theirs were just covers, not original arrangements.
    No I mean like a cover in the style of a non public domain version instrumentally. They were doing it in the style of the public domain version. Hence with my animals example we couldn't get a cover of the song that did the main rift because the band still has a copyright on the arrangement of the song just not the lyrics.
    edited March 2010
    General Lein979;3588434 said:
    No I mean like a cover in the style of a non public domain version instrumentally. They were doing it in the style of the public domain version. Hence with my animals example we couldn't get a cover of the song that did the main rift because the band still has a copyright on the arrangement of the song just not the lyrics.
    Aren't you referring to a real-life instance that happened with the initial beta of RBN....? Can't remember the name, but I remember a guy with a great rendition of "House of the Rising Sun," but HMX's argument then was that no public domain would be allowed....

If that's changed, can someone get HOTRS re-submitted?
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3588457 said:
    Aren't you referring to a real-life instance that happened with the initial beta of RBN....? Can't remember the name, but I remember a guy with a great rendition of "House of the Rising Sun," but HMX's argument then was that no public domain would be allowed....

If that's changed, can someone get HOTRS re-submitted?
    I don't think it would be ok because Ploy of Oracle did it in the style of the animals and had the rift throughout the entire song. As seen here So I think you can make one as long as it doesn't do the rift.
    Rift = Chord Progression + Picking Pattern in the above.
  • broncosfan06broncosfan06 Debbie Downer
    edited March 2010
    wooooh woooh wooooh i knew about the 3 in playtest/review but i didnt know about the others, Verdi? Handel? Beethovens 5th? Ruslan and Ludmilla? CARMEN??? IN ROCK BAND?!!?!?!?!?!?! idk if its the music teacher part of me or what but i think i just died and went to heaven this is AMAZING, i said it before ill say it again i will get EVERYTHING Fauxharmonic puts out
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    Wow... Can't wait to see the full versions
    edited March 2010
    General Lein979;3588480 said:
    I don't think it would be ok because Ploy of Oracle did it in the style of the animals and had the rift throughout the entire song. As seen here So I think you can make one as long as it doesn't do the rift.
    Rift = Chord Progression + Picking Pattern in the above.
    I don't think you can copyright a riff. Anyway, Burdon lifted the riff from Dylan. And Ploy of Oracle's version has enough variety to be considered an alternate.
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3588500 said:
    I don't think you can copyright a riff. Anyway, Burdon lifted the riff from Dylan. And Ploy of Oracle's version has enough variety to be considered an alternate.
    Yeah, you can. It just can't be something simple. You can't go and copyright like 3 notes.
  • Chopper13Chopper13 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Is it just me or for some of the previews you can't hear any percussion whatsoever yet drums are charted? This may just be me, but I can't hear any.

Other than that though, looks pretty awesome
    edited March 2010
    they are certainly there but low in the arrangement
  • shimwoodshimwood Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    It's too bad there's a 10 minute limit because I'd love to get Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited March 2010
    that looks awesome, really can't wait

probably some of the first really good stuff to come through RBN
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited March 2010
    I like that the site mentions the possibility of vocals. I might wait for one with a vocal part to come out, so I can avoid having a song there that I can't play with my usual 4-person group... although I may buy Night on Bald Mountain anyway because it's awesome.
  • tepidsharktepidshark Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I definately approve of this. They should do Bach's Toccata & Fugue. You know this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1z12_Ps-gk
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I'm gonna buy these songs for me and for all of my friends.