Still confused about XNA.

DroosiesDroosies Rising Star
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
OK. I get that the only way to PUT songs on the RBN is with a 360 and an XNA account. I'm fine with that. I understand the 30 day waiting period between 360 and PSWii. What I don't get is why we only get a certain number of songs? I mean if one song can come over, it seems to me every song can come over. Again, I haven't been able to use the RBN yet, so I'm not sure if there's some magical XNA aspect to it, but once the songs are confirmed, what's the problem with bringing them over to PSWii. I don't mind waiting the 30 days, just don't understand why only a portion of them will make it over.

Comments

• GoatbusterGoatbuster Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    From what I've heard, conversion requires time and money. Only the tracks that are worth the time and money (well, mostly money) will be transferred.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    its not that every song CANT come over

the problem lies with how wii and ps3 operate

they require that they approve of every song and put it through their own QA process

with XNA, we are doing that work instead of microsoft having to do it

can you imagine the response from nintendo and sony if they were given 200+ songs in 1 week to test to bring out, not to mention the fact the programming structure is apprently not the same(which means itd have to be translated over to those systems first too)

add all these together, and it becomes a bad business move to port everything ober at the expense of HMX, theyd take a major loss
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited March 2010
    vedis;3594510 said:
    its not that every song CANT come over

the problem lies with how wii and ps3 operate

they require that they approve of every song and put it through their own QA process

with XNA, we are doing that work instead of microsoft having to do it
    There is also the factor of accounting and arranging payment for the bands and authors. With XNA, all of that is handled already. On the PS3 and Wii, who is going to do it?
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3594823 said:
    There is also the factor of accounting and arranging payment for the bands and authors. With XNA, all of that is handled already. On the PS3 and Wii, who is going to do it?
    very true

basicaly, a ton of stuff the other systems CAN NOT do that is needed.
  • BBBDBBBD Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Any way to sticky a thread like this? There needs to be some sort of master thread with a title that screams "THIS IS WHY RBN IS ONLY ON THE XBOX!"

I'm a loyal PS3 Rock Band player, but it gets annoying every time someone gets all butt-hurt about RBN and can't wrap their mind around why it's only available through XBOX. Then they start a thread trying to unravel the conspiracy of the world against them and their system.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    davidshek;3594823 said:
    A lot of that would have to be arranged on a case-by-case basis between Harmonix and the bands' management. That being said, it's one extra layer of stuff to get straightened out, although not insurmountable by any means.

The certification process is the biggest thing, though, although I am thinking that something can still be worked out, albeit this time between HMX and Sony or Nintendo.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    Does XNA split the payment between the author and the artist? I was under the impression (possibly mistakenly) that they only split payment between HMX and one other party.

Either way, for the RBN selections, Sony would pay HMX and HMX would pay the rights holder. Any authors would have to be paid by the rights holder. It would make bad business sense fot Harmonix to make themselves a clearing house for sub-contractor payments. There are too many different agreements with differing terms that HMX is not a party to and has no input into.
  • DroosiesDroosies Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    BBBD;3595002 said:
    Any way to sticky a thread like this? There needs to be some sort of master thread with a title that screams "THIS IS WHY RBN IS ONLY ON THE XBOX!"

I'm a loyal PS3 Rock Band player, but it gets annoying every time someone gets all butt-hurt about RBN and can't wrap their mind around why it's only available through XBOX. Then they start a thread trying to unravel the conspiracy of the world against them and their system.
    All I was asking was what was so special about XNA. Wasn't "getting all butt-hurt" about it. I don't have a 360 so I genuinely didn't know.
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Droosies;3596180 said:
    All I was asking was what was so special about XNA. Wasn't "getting all butt-hurt" about it. I don't have a 360 so I genuinely didn't know.
    I don't think he was referring to you with that statement. I think he meant the tons of other people who make threads like "OMG, PS3 don't have RBN!!! HMX must have signed an exclusive deal with Micro$soft!! They hate PS3 users!! I'm going to Guitar Hero!!:mad::mad::mad:" There's at least one new thread like that each day and it gets really, really annoying.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited March 2010
    BallisticJunkfood;3596188 said:
    I don't think he was referring to you with that statement. I think he meant the tons of other people who make threads like "OMG, PS3 don't have RBN!!! HMX must have signed an exclusive deal with Micro$soft!! They hate PS3 users!! I'm going to Guitar Hero!!:mad::mad::mad:" There's at least one new thread like that each day and it gets really, really annoying.
    But why do we have to consistently derail perfectly reasonable discussions with problems that occur in other threads?
  • BBBDBBBD Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Droosies;3596180 said:
    Not directed at you, bro. I'd just like to see a thread that could explain everything regarding why RBN is XBOX only.