Japanese in the future?

MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Does anyone know if we'll be getting any Japanese artists in the near future, that actually sing in Japanese? As much as I love X Japan (...after being introduced by Rock Band), I've been dying for more Japanese artists for a while. Rock Band: Japan was an amazing idea, until they seemed to drop it altogether.

Obviously, the songs would have to be in romaji for us ig'nant American-speakers, but I would absolutely love to see bands like Maximum the Hormone or UVERworld or even Utada Hikaru in some way, shape, or form.

And a little off-topic, but does anyone have a guesstimate of when some Italian bands are going to be released as well? I know there were some on the Beta, but I haven't heard any news about it.

Comments

• kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited March 2010
    Personally, I'd love to see romaji used in the lyrics of Japanese songs. No idea if that will happen though.
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I'd love to see some Gackt in here, I'd pay 240MSP a pop for that. Redemption, Longing, and Mizerable would kick ass
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I don't think any more Japanese artists are confirmed, although I'd love to see some (I'm sure the lyrics could be charted in Romaji.)

Personally, I think Dir En Grey would be amazing in RB.

EDIT: Also, HMX really needs to explain what the hell is going on with RB:Japan. You don't announce something officially, and then reduse to acknowledge it's existence for the next 2 years.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited March 2010
    RBN doesn't support Japanese language tracks yet.
  • DeNiceDeNice Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    Janne Da Arc. 'Nuff said. I know that this is a major long shot, but if they were ever in RB in any form I'd go through hell just to obtain it. Those guitar solos would KILL my fingers but it would be SO worth it...
  • MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3595134 said:
    RBN doesn't support Japanese language tracks yet.
    What do you mean by this? I don't know much about the Network. I just assumed that Harmonix could simply patch in the Japanese subsection, and since romaji is basically the English pronunciation of the Japanese language, I don't really see why it couldn't work.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Mikachu;3595259 said:
    I just assumed that Harmonix could simply patch in the Japanese subsection, and since romaji is basically the English pronunciation of the Japanese language, I don't really see why it couldn't work.
    That's what I thought as well...

Of course~ I highly highly support the inclusion of Japanese language songs in the game.

It would really be nice if we could get some songs from The Pillows and The Seatbelts~ and a lot of other Japanese artists as well through the RBN.
  • Dragonheart1991Dragonheart1991 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    X Japan, Gackt, Dir En Grey, Mad Capsule Markets. Would love to see them.

Pretty sure MCM and DEG have english speaking songs too.
    edited March 2010
    Dragonheart1991;3595315 said:
    X Japan, Gackt, Dir En Grey, Mad Capsule Markets. Would love to see them.

Pretty sure MCM and DEG have english speaking songs too.
    I could have sworn Dir en grey did have a few English songs. Not too many, but maybe two or three.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Mikachu;3595259 said:
    What do you mean by this? I don't know much about the Network. I just assumed that Harmonix could simply patch in the Japanese subsection, and since romaji is basically the English pronunciation of the Japanese language, I don't really see why it couldn't work.
    The only four languages supported by the RBN at this time are English, Spanish, Italian, and French.

I believe the issue is not technical, but more along the lines that there are not enough people in the Creators Site who are fluent in Japanese. Having a good number of peers who speak a given language is essential to testing songs and checking them for content. At a bare minimum, there would need to be eight people fluent in Japanese with premium XNA accounts at any given time who are regularly active in the Creators Site. (I don't mean to imply that, as soon as eight people fluent in Japanese join the Creators Site with premium accounts, Japanese will be added as a language. But I imagine that would have to happen before it would even be seriously considered.)
  • Thrasher9294Thrasher9294 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I'd love some J-Pop or some other stuff from the Jet Set Radio Future Soundtrack, not much else.
  • xX51NN3RXxxX51NN3RXx Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    My favorite band right now is Versailles, and they are hands down one of the best Visual Kei bands around. I would also like some:
    Nightmare
    Maximum the Hormone
    SCANDAL
    Stereopony
    YUI
    Matenrou Opera
  • Tez555Tez555 Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I woud die a happy man if we got some Mad Capsule Markets on RB!
  • GoatbusterGoatbuster Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    Mikachu;3595035 said:
    I would absolutely love to see bands like Maximum the Hormone
    Stopped reading here, started writing my response after it. Yes, they would be awesome.
  • Erra93Erra93 Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    UVERworld - Rush, omgz!
  • ZhaneBXZhaneBX Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    I would really love to have some Maximum the Hormone or Dir En Grey in RB. :D
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited March 2010
    I suspect it comes down to the presence or absence of Japanese/ Italian/ Urdu/ Esperanto/ Bocce/ Klingon speaking reviewers. A lot of the playtesting and peer review requires that the reviewer both understand the lyrics, and know they're presented correctly.

Since it's a volunteer gig, anyone who really, maybe if lots and lots of people wanting a certain language in the game sign up as reviewers, then maybe they'll start adding other languages...

I, for one, would love to see Thee Michelle Gun Elephant in here. Since they actually did rock, really hard. (R.I.P. Futoshi Abe)
  • aggrogahuaggrogahu Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    I never really thought of the peer review process in terms of how reviewers would have to be fluent in the language, but in hindsight it makes a lot of sense. I've already made full band customs of Japanese songs, and deciding how to split up the syllables is pretty hard, especially when the singer squishes syllables together and omits the vowel sounds. I mean it's possible (Godzilla), but there aren't guidelines in place.

If anyone's curious, I've done Super Driver (Hirano Aya) and Ready Steady Go (L~Arc en Ciel). I'm trying to get videos of my other charts I've authored customs for on YouTube, but the ones I mentioned already have videos up.
    edited March 2010
    aggrogahu;3596171 said:
    I never really thought of the peer review process in terms of how reviewers would have to be fluent in the language, but in hindsight it makes a lot of sense. I've already made full band customs of Japanese songs, and deciding how to split up the syllables is pretty hard, especially when the singer squishes syllables together and omits the vowel sounds. I mean it's possible (Godzilla), but there aren't guidelines in place.

If anyone's curious, I've done Super Driver (Hirano Aya) and Ready Steady Go (L~Arc en Ciel). I'm trying to get videos of my other charts I've authored customs for on YouTube, but the ones I mentioned already have videos up.
    What I don't understand is the inclusion of French in an on-disc song, when French (at least to most Americans, I figure) doesn't sound even remotely similar to how it looks. Romaji is at least pronounced as it's seen.
  • xX51NN3RXxxX51NN3RXx Unsigned
    edited March 2010
    It's pronounced as it's seen for the most part...just gotta remember the different vowel sounds.
  • SheyvanSheyvan Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Just imagine playing THIS in Rock band.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEH7cphEODk

(Real Song starts at 0:60 after the intro)