Questions About Playtesting

BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
edited March 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Hey all. I was considering becoming a playtester for RBN, but I had a few questions about it first. I apologize in advance if some of this stuff can't be talked about on the forum and, if so, please feel free to send me a PM with the answers instead.

1. Is an XNA account required to be a playtester?

2. How do you get the songs for playtesting? Do you pick up the songs you want or do you get them sent to you randomly or by the authors?

3. Are the playtest versions of the songs one time use like Audition mode or do you get to play the song a couple of times?

Thanks for your help and, again, I apologize if I'm not actually allowed to talk about this.

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited March 2010
    1. Yes.
    2. You pick the songs to download and test.
    3. It's not like audition mode, it is audition mode. :) You can replay a song as many times as you need, but only one song can be auditioned at a time.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2010
    1) Yes

2) You choose which songs to download and playtest. Once you're done playtesting the song removes itself from memory. Go to the song page on the Creators website and download it

3) You can play the song in audition mode as many times as you want, and can switch among songs and difficulty without backing out of audition mode

Also, sigh to the ninja, and sigh to me missing the days I used to playtest :( what's worst is that since the website reset it says I haven't submitted any reviews! Argh
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'm out then since I don't have the disposable income needed for an XNA account. :(

Oh well. At least I can still play all the awesome songs once they're released. :D
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    Just wondering: are playtesters still enthusiastic about buying RBN songs they've just played extensively for free.....? Seems like it would be kind of a turn-off, unless you just wanted to support the artist or post a score on the leaderboards...
  • TheyAreNextTheyAreNext Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Playtesting will only work for local play, and scores won't upload to the leaderboards.

The only question I have is this: Can charters/artists also fill the shoes of playtesters/peer reviewers on songs they didn't perform/chart?
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3600136 said:
    Just wondering: are playtesters still enthusiastic about buying RBN songs they've just played extensively for free.....? Seems like it would be kind of a turn-off, unless you just wanted to support the artist or post a score on the leaderboards...
    I've bought tons of RBN songs, and I'm sure most playtesters do. Not only do I like supporting the artists, but there's a huge difference between Audition Mode and actually owning the song and having it in your RB2 playlist. I'm guessing you haven't experienced Audition Mode before, or experienced it enough to know how much of a pain in the ass it would be if you were trying to use it for normal (non-testing) gameplay. :)
    TheyAreNext;3600243 said:
    The only question I have is this: Can charters/artists also fill the shoes of playtesters/peer reviewers on songs they didn't perform/chart?
    Not only can they, that's actually an encouraged and important part of the process. We do have some members who have paid for XNA solely to playtest songs, but a lot of the playtesting and peer reviewing is done between authors as a "quid pro quo" sort of thing. The Golden Rule is that if you're putting up songs for playtesting and expecting people to spend their time looking at your song, you should do the same for others.
  • dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    One question: if you have the Dreamspark XNA trial, can you "upgrade" it to a "premium account" so you can access the creators' site?

Obviously, I understand you'd have to pay to upgrade it but would you have to stick it out the length of the trial beforehand?
    edited March 2010
    dman2309;3600245 said:
    One question: if you have the Dreamspark XNA trial, can you "upgrade" it to a "premium account" so you can access the creators' site?

Obviously, I understand you'd have to pay to upgrade it but would you have to stick it out the length of the trial beforehand?
    You should be able to upgrade it any time. I did have an issue initially when I had a 4-month membership and tried to add a new 12 months to it and it would not let me renew until the 4 months expired, for some unexplainable reason (and MS support people couldn't help me - no surprise there). That may have been an isolated issue specific to me, though.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3600136 said:
    why wouldnt i buy the songs? playtesting doesnt matter(if anything it gives me a preview of the song to help decide to buy or not).

I cant "audition" mode an entire party, especialy once the song is out of testing, so buying it = the way to get it on the playlists for parties
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2010
    vedis;3600626 said:
    why wouldnt i buy the songs? playtesting doesnt matter(if anything it gives me a preview of the song to help decide to buy or not).

I cant "audition" mode an entire party, especialy once the song is out of testing, so buying it = the way to get it on the playlists for parties
    That's what I was wondering. Not sure how the audition process works, or how much access you had to the song. How long can you keep a song in audition mode, anyway? Does the song "lock" as soon as you're done submitting your review?
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    cherokeesam;3600898 said:
    That's what I was wondering. Not sure how the audition process works, or how much access you had to the song. How long can you keep a song in audition mode, anyway? Does the song "lock" as soon as you're done submitting your review?
    you can keep playing it over and over in audition, but changing songs takes several minutes(sinse you have to re-upload it to your xbox and such) and can be VERY annoying

wanna go back to a song you already had? well, gotta re-upload it AGAIN. so yeah audition mode is not the way to go to permanently play a song.

also people like me who play juke box mode(if you know how) dont wanna play 1 song every few minutes, we wanna be able to make setlists, cant do that in audition either
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited March 2010
    Nope no "lock" feature. The song file is downloaded on your PC, and stays on your PC forever until you decide to delete it. So technically you could keep transferring the .rbs file to your xbox to play the song in audition mode for the rest of eternity. But where's the fun in that? 1. The .rbs file you kept might be outdated and 2. Nothing compares to having the song officially in game. Audition mode just doesn't cut it for casual playing of a song.

EDIT: And yes, ninjas.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited March 2010
    I've bought almost 60 songs already, and some of them are ones I've tested multiple times across all instruments/difficulties.

As stated is a massive pain in the butt to load up a song, test it, load up another song, test it, then a new version of the first songs goes up so you have to download it, load it up test it, etc etc.

I gladly pay for RBN tracks just for the ease of access that having them in my library gives me.

Plus you get to choose more than four venues, and you can have 'your' characters playing the songs instead of stand ins.