RBN Facial Expression?

sledge006sledge006 Unsigned
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I'm not sure if anyone else had mentioned this before, but RBN songs is lacking facial expression in all band menbers. Is this because the tool is not available to the charters? Or are they just too lazy to use them. I don't mean to sound picky but I pay good money for these songs. The Expressionless characters are deteriorating my RB experience. I'm not feeling the game as well as the regular RB songs.

Comments

• kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    We authors have no control over the character's expression other than: playing "intense", playing "mellow", playing "normal", and/or lip syncing along to the vox character. We have no control over the lip sync other than tweaking the dry vox audio file we feed Magma. It's all automated.

Could you be a bit more descriptive in what facial expressions you feel are lacking?
  • CleantoneCleantone Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    I hear you a bit. It would be best if the expressions were able to be controlled a bit better. To advocate the devil here though... You talking about paying your good money and being disappointed. Don't you know what your paying represents something like "a 1/3 of a penny an hour" for the work it takes to make the song? A cup of coffee costs more. A pack of gum. Even making minimum wage it's 5-10 minutes of pay.
  • sledge006sledge006 Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the reply, guys. I'm sorry, I think I came in a little too harsh. I mean I really love RB. I don't have any issues with the lipsync, though I'm curious to know how it works. Thanks for explaining. The issue that I'm seeing is mainly on the eyebrows. On the regular RB songs and DLC, the eyebrows move and change depending on intensity of singers. I can feel these characters more than I can on GH. On RBN the eyebrows just stays the same throughout the entire song, so I don't get the same feelings compared the the regular RB songs. It may seems to be a small issue, but it's one of the factors that make RB a better quality game than GH.
    And cleantone, I'm not sure if you do the charting for the regular RB/DLC or RBN. I'm also not sure of how well the DLC and RBN is selling. I can tell you this much. I'm one of those guys who spend thousands of $ buying your DLC and all the RB gears. :) I 'm sorry for sounding like a picky jerk. I just wanted you guys to remain on top of the game (as you guys already are) and give us the quality game that we or I have come to expect from you guys. (Oh no! I'm starting to sound like a CEO) LOL
  • kuiosiklekuiosikle Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Well RBN authors have no control over eyebrow movement, that much I can tell you. And no hard feelings here, being passionate about something is a great thing to be.
  • cRaZyBrOs2cRaZyBrOs2 Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    sledge006;3609254 said:
    I'm not sure if anyone else had mentioned this before, but RBN songs is lacking facial expression in all band menbers. Is this because the tool is not available to the charters? Or are they just too lazy to use them. I don't mean to sound picky but I pay good money for these songs. The Expressionless characters are deteriorating my RB experience. I'm not feeling the game as well as the regular RB songs.
    I agree entirely. Although I am eternally grateful for the RBN, it's a shame to see such a small, yet effective element be left out. I'm sure if the creators were allowed to edit this feature, they would do it in a heartbeat, because I believe they understand better than anyone that the music works better when all elements are gelling. Not only that, but sometimes lip-syncing is off along with drumming animations not working properly from time to time. Hopefully, this is something Harmonix will take note of and make avaliable to creators in the near future, and I sure hope they cann fix the small issues present now as well.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    cRaZyBrOs2;3615695 said:
    I agree entirely. Although I am eternally grateful for the RBN, it's a shame to see such a small, yet effective element be left out. I'm sure if the creators were allowed to edit this feature, they would do it in a heartbeat, because I believe they understand better than anyone that the music works better when all elements are gelling. Not only that, but sometimes lip-syncing is off along with drumming animations not working properly from time to time. Hopefully, this is something Harmonix will take note of and make avaliable to creators in the near future, and I sure hope they cann fix the small issues present now as well.
    Yeah, it's these minor thing that makes a big difference, but honestly us authors have been doing the best we can. The lipsyncing is probably one of the hardest elements to get right, since the auto-generator can be very finicky, forcing authors to either re-record dryvox and hope the lips will adjust (at the risk of possibly affecting the pitch judging), or foregoing the shot and covering up any small/short issues with a shot directed away from the singer.

Facial expressions would be great if they operated similar to the light cues. A simple tag would limit the expression to a small pool of emotions for each personality, just like a light cue limits colors and patterns depending on the venue, or the focus notes for the camera limit the angles/distances/characters. However, at how much effort HMX has already invested into RBN to get it to the point it is today, it's ok that they devoted their time and energy to the more important problems/features.

It's the same reason there is no rewind yet in Audition mode, nor BNS. Trust me, you guys get A LOT with RBN songs, more in comparison to the whole package than the authors have making them!