Becoming a peer reviewer

dmbdawdmbdaw Road Warrior
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Was thinking about getting the $50 XNA membership to become a peer reviewer. I only get to play twice a week. Is it worth becoming a reviewer being only able to play a short amount of time? And can my Xbox and pc be wireless connected?

Comments

• kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited April 2010
    Thanks, I try to be helpful.

It's just a few things really. I just realize you're basically paying money to help out and then getting nothing in return. $99 for a XNA account plus whatever afterwards to actually buy the songs once they're approved... I haven't even been able to buy any RBN songs (or DLC at all for that matter since January) yet.

I did my best to help out with my free 4-months (thanks HMX!) but now that it's about to be time to pay, I think I'd rather use my money to buy some DLC instead.
  • Xyber DeathXyber Death Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    I got another question, can you be a peer reviewer outside of USA? I live in Sweden and would love to try all the songs and help the authors make them as good as possible.
    edited April 2010
    No, USA only I think.

One thing I do say is that I would hope others would sign up to do reviews. Doing the actual playtesting can be fun.
  • Thrasher9294Thrasher9294 Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    They shouldn't charge you to have to be in XNA to be a Peer reviewer. I understand why you have to be one, I just think it's sad.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited April 2010
    Xyber Death;3612452 said:
    I got another question, can you be a peer reviewer outside of USA? I live in Sweden and would love to try all the songs and help the authors make them as good as possible.
    Unfortunately, no.

The XNA/RBN rules state that you must:

*have an Xbox Live gold account
    *spend $99 a year or $49/4 months for an XNA membership
    *be at least 18 years old
    *be a US citizen

to become a playtester/peer reviewer. That's only the *tiniest* fraction of potential RBN customers who can qualify for playtesting.
  • Xyber DeathXyber Death Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    Ah, crap... Damn you rules!
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited April 2010
    Playtesting/reviewing, while fun is very time consuming.

To do a proper peer review you should playtest every instrument on every difficulty.

That's about a 45 minute to hour long commitment to one song.

I playtested for a VERY long time this weekend. Most of Friday, Saturday, and Today. Multiple play sessions at two - three hours a time.

I think I might have done 15 songs in all that time.

So like I said it is very fun, but you have to be committed to it as it's a time sink to do it properly.
  • dmbdawdmbdaw Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    What if you can't play all difficulties on every instrument? My drumming doesn't go past medium.
  • SplyncSplync Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    You just wouldn't be as effective of a peer reviewer. Nothing is forcing you to play it on every instrument on every difficulty, but it helps a lot.

For example: If a song had a messed up expert chart, and you voted to pass it because the charts up to medium were fine, then it could lead to problems down the line. I'm sure at least doing one (preferably two) instrument(s) on all difficulties could still make some progress on the song moving along.

This is all just from my understanding, so don't fully take my word on it; since I, myself am not a peer reviewer because I'm too cheap.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2010
    dmbdaw;3612566 said:
    What if you can't play all difficulties on every instrument? My drumming doesn't go past medium.
    I don't think you can fail audition mode, and I know you set the track to play itself.
    edited April 2010
    dmbdaw;3612566 said:

You can turn on no fail mode, or set the drum to auto play and watch the charts go by if need be.
    edited April 2010
    Splync;3612595 said:
    You just wouldn't be as effective of a peer reviewer. Nothing is forcing you to play it on every instrument on every difficulty, but it helps a lot.

For example: If a song had a messed up expert chart, and you voted to pass it because the charts up to medium were fine, then it could lead to problems down the line. I'm sure at least doing one (preferably two) instrument(s) on all difficulties could still make some progress on the song moving along.

This is all just from my understanding, so don't fully take my word on it; since I, myself am not a peer reviewer because I'm too cheap.

That's playtesting.

In a perfect world a song in peer review would have no issues at all, but stuff slips through.

So it is highly encouraged to check out every instrument on every difficulty in peer review.

Because once a song makes it through peer review it will have a bad chart or broken parts forever and there's nothing that can be done about it.
  • I_Love_YouI_Love_You Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Yeah we need more Playtesters, it's unfortunate.

But honestly, it's way too restricted. You have to pay more than many are willing to, and it's very limited in terms of age and location. $50 to play unlimited sounds good, but you have to meticulously play on all instruments and difficulties making sure the charts and what not are correct.

Hopefully HMX realizes there are too few and will find some way to change the system.
    edited April 2010
    I'm gonna seriously think about it. I'm a huge RB fan and supporter who wants to help. I might have to get a separate room setup going to be able to do extra reviewing outside the time frame that I can. If I can do that...then I'm in.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited April 2010
    Keep in mind, there is both playtesting and peer reviewing. On a song that's in playtesting, you don't have to look at all instruments (though whichever instrument you look at besides vocals, you should check all difficulties). If you don't have a huge amount of time to commit, and you have a certain instrument you're best at, you would still be very helpful in playtesting. :)
    edited April 2010
    Need to brush up and read the differences between testing and reviewing.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2010
    I_Love_You;3612633 said:
    Hopefully HMX realizes there are too few and will find some way to change the system.
    I think Microsoft are the ones who have to change it, but yeah. I can put in the time I'll need; the issue is having to pay money on top of that. They just need to figure out a system to get more testers, but discourage people from abusing the system and just using it for the free songs.
    edited April 2010
    dmbdaw;3613116 said:
    Need to brush up and read the differences between testing and reviewing.

Testing is where a song starts out. You can choose to only test vox, bass, guitar, or drums, or any combination of them.

You only get one test per song version so if you put in a test for say drums, then that will close the song off to you for further testing until a new version is put into testing, or it goes into peer review.

Like Peer Review, you need to look at whichever instrument(s) you choose on every difficulty.

The plan is to get as much of the issues cleared up as possible making it 'finished' before moving it to Peer Review.

Then when it gets to Peer Review you should really look at every instrument on every difficulty to make sure no bugs or broken charts have slipped through the cracks.

So long story longer in testing(which comes first) you can choose to do one instrument(but on all difficulties) or all of them. Entirely up to you, but you need to do it in one go because once you enter your testing info, that's it.

Peer Review you should look at everything to make sure nothing has snuck in before it gets to the store.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    So long story longer in testing(which comes first) you can choose to do one instrument(but on all difficulties) or all of them. Entirely up to you, but you need to do it in one go because once you enter your testing info, that's it.
    Well, to clarify, you are free to do more testing and put your comments into the playtest thread for the song, but yeah, you can't use the form. Which is no big deal since the form is oversimplified and useless on its own anyway.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited April 2010
    I would love to be a peer reviewer. But my wired router doesnt want me to.

Anybody got a good suggestion for a wired one that works great? My d-link wbr-2310 is a piece of poop.
    edited April 2010
    Well becoming is now...BECAME!!! Reading documentation now for testing and review. Hope to get in some testing/reviewing later in the week.
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    If there's one thing that would ease the pain of paying the XNA membership is for HMX to reward those people that have been doing the reviews/playtesting by giving them free copies of Rock Band Track packs or even the next Rock Band game.

Considering how much benefits HMX gets from the playtesting community, a free game seems like a fair deal.
    edited April 2010
    Rewards are apparently not allowed.

The labels involved have tried to offer rewards for good playtests/peer reviews but the posts were quickly locked/deleted by the mods over there.
    edited April 2010
    Got in a few tests today. Getting the feel for the process. Looking forward to helping out. Thanks to everyone who has helped out.
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    kingtonyx;3616806 said:

The labels involved have tried to offer rewards for good playtests/peer reviews but the posts were quickly locked/deleted by the mods over there.
    Some kind of reward from HMX would be totally different than an author rewarding peer reviewers with swag. In fact, hmx gave away quite a few trial XNA memberships, as I believe you must know.

Why is logic so hard?
    edited April 2010
    Maybe HMX could work with Microsoft to reward us with ms points...help us buy some of things we will work on?
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    kingtonyx;3616806 said:

Either way, some kind of solution needs to be made so that those that have done a good job doing playtests/peer reviews are rewarded in some fashion. The current set up isn't going to be sustainable in the long run. People are going to get tired of spending money on a XNA membership and getting nothing out of it.
    edited April 2010
    ethicalpaul;3616971 said:
    Some kind of reward from HMX would be totally different than an author rewarding peer reviewers with swag. In fact, hmx gave away quite a few trial XNA memberships, as I believe you must know.

Why is logic so hard?
    Yes that is true and HMX is awesome for that.

Maybe they personally could come up with some sort of rewards thing as sort of a "sorry Microsoft charges you to help us" thing.

I still think authors should be able to provide rewards as well though for QUALITY tests/reviews if they wish. I can see the issues with offering up stuff for any test/review because people could just throw a positive review in without even looking at the track.
    edited April 2010
    Reward or not I'm helping with the process. Wish I knew more about charting. For now reviewing will do.
    edited April 2010
    dmbdaw;3618988 said:
    Reward or not I'm helping with the process. Wish I knew more about charting. For now reviewing will do.

It takes a long while to get good at it(unless you were a guy that studies the charts and youtube videos).

I've been doing it since late September, and stuff still slips past me from time to time.