Forget about e-mailing Bands: TELL FRIENDS about RBN.

jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
One thing I've noticed on the boards, and maybe you've noticed it too: we keep seeing the same folks reading and posting here. It's actually a pretty small crowd that hangs out here. Diehards. The Elite, if you will. HMX has been pitching RBN hard at you guys, and you've been knocking 'em out of the park, and I think that I can speak for most artists in saying that we're grateful.

But it's not enough, I fear.

If RBN is to really be successful for the artists here (and incidentally, for HMX) the word has to get out to the masses of more casual players and fans: people who have Rock Band, but maybe have it in their closet and haven't added new songs for a while, or people who haven't taken the plunge and bought the game yet. And I don't think the casual gamer has noticed RBN at all, frankly. I think they've noticed Lady Gaga and all that, but they really haven't been targeted with RBN as far as I can see. And truthfully, the casual listener will have been discouraged by sub-par preview audio, lack of information about new artists, and clumsy music store navigation. (These are things I trust will one day be fixed, but there have been opportunities lost here.)

There's only so much most of the artists can do. We can put out the word to our fans, and to be sure, we do: but the reality of the situation is that there is a far higher percentage of GAMERS who like music, than there is of MUSIC FANS who game. (Heck, there are a lot of music fans who not only don't game, but actually viscerally HATE Rock Band. This is one reason why what little press the RBN gets is on Gaming blogs: music blogs have been pretty silent, and there's snobbery behind that. Screw 'em, I say.)

My point is that since the RBN can't really count on heavy promotion, what we really are going to depend on is YOU. Get the word out about music you like that you're discovering here. There's a reason a lot of artists here are giving mp3s away for free: Don't just consume it, share it. Spread it. INFECT people. Hotlink to it in your blogs and on your Facebook and in your tweets.

This is not going to be what it could be until a lot more people get involved with it, and that's not going to happen without your active involvement.

Comments

• drJonesdrJones Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    agreed, the only reason why my friends know about it is because i told them ; )

though i do think once RB3 hits you're going to see a huge surge in downloads as both new players & inactive RB players get back into it.
  • ASPRonASPRon Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Perfectly said as right on !

Also one of my artists Hyro Da Hero says it as well-

"HYRO DA HERO 2010. Get Dirty South Rock on Rockband. Get Dirty South Rock from Music Saves Lives. Watch the video. Request Dirty South Rock. We can do this TOGETHER. We DO NOT need a record label to make **** happen. ALL OF YOU that listen and support my music are making it happen."

Now if you have a favorite indie band,do that for them you can make it happen!
  • aperfectorestesaperfectorestes Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    drJones;3615546 said:
    agreed, the only reason why my friends know about it is because i told them ; )

though i do think once RB3 hits you're going to see a huge surge in downloads as both new players & inactive RB players get back into it.
    This

Which is very good mind you, because RBN will have an extensive library by then.

That said, I have been and will continue to educate people on the awesomeness that is RBN!
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    drJones;3615546 said:
    Though i do think once RB3 hits you're going to see a huge surge in downloads as both new players & inactive RB players get back into it.
    This. Did you see the sales of the Jimi Hendrix album? If such an epic album doesn't really sell well, it speaks for itself for the current popularity of Rock Band.

It's up to Harmonix now to deliver an amazing RB3, and millions of casuals will come back. :)
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    I've played a couple of score duels online and I've see people with tons of DLC and no RBN songs so I ***** at them to download more RBN songs.
  • edited April 2010
    jawillroy;3615540 said:

This is not going to be what it could be until a lot more people get involved with it, and that's not going to happen without your active involvement.
    I just tweeted a link to this thread to help spread the word. Please re tweet for maximum effect.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited April 2010
    I totally agree with the OP.

However, I do have to say that 2/3 of the Rock Band players out there still DO NOT have RBN access yet. Because of that, RBN artists (and HMX) are not hitting a chunk of the game's players.

(Not trying to start a console war or anything, but it is a sad fact that needs to get remedied if RBN is to be considered a "success")
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited April 2010
    Harmonix will just have to meet me halfway on this. When I get some RBN songs, I'd be more than happy to tell all my friends.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    RockBandRocker;3615727 said:
    2/3 of the Rock Band players out there still DO NOT have RBN access yet.
    You have a point, and I sympathize. I don't have ANY kind of special access, and I don't know any more than anyone else here what's going to happen with the other platforms - but I'll take a wild flying leap in the dark and prophesy that one day, the other platforms will have access to Bang Camaro, Drowning Pool and Jonathan Coulton - the best sellers.

I'll even go so far as to guess that if your favorite song isn't selling at LEAST as well as, say, Flogging Molly, I doubt that anyone on the business side of things is going to consider putting the time and money into porting it over to the other platforms.

And if that theory holds water, it follows that if a PS3 user wants to play one of the RBN songs, it is in his DIRECT interest to see that the song sells like hotcakes on the 360, because if it does not, nobody's going to bother with it.

Holding one's breath won't help a bit. It's all about the Benjamins.
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited April 2010
    HMXHenry;3615721 said:
    I just tweeted a link to this thread to help spread the word. Please re tweet for maximum effect.
    I retweeted! C'mon people, let's get the word out!! :D
    edited April 2010
    I count thirteen retweets including my own...
  • rose_of_jerichorose_of_jericho Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    we have also re-tweeted
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Oh, HMX is definitely telling (or "pimping," as HMXHellion lovingly refers to it) everybody they can about RBN even people who don't have acces to it. There have been so many MOTDs about RBN on the Wii that it isn't funny, so they better be telling everyone they know about it.
  • Thrasher9294Thrasher9294 Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    I'm pretty sure that that new store option there? You know, the one right there below the regular store? That's enough to show to them that it's there and it exists.

/endrudepost

I've mainly just tried to tell my group of friends at school about it, but they don't play nearly as much as I do.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited April 2010
    This game is old... RBN will flourish more fully when Rock Band 3 comes out and brings back a lot of the old casuals who have taken an extened break from the franchise. As for spreading the word there really isnt much you can do to extend the interest of Rock Band 2 never mind RBN in Scotland as the series really is small fry compared to GH franchise in europe sadly but its getting there.

We kind of also need more playtesters... i see a LOT of tweets with authors trying to get their songs through the process but it seems a long and sometimes frustrating task for them when having done all they can relying on others to leave feedback on the songs so they can actually get the ball rolling again
    edited April 2010
    Thrasher9294;3617169 said:
    I'm pretty sure that that new store option there? You know, the one right there below the regular store? That's enough to show to them that it's there and it exists.
    You'd think so, wouldn't you? But actually, most people have to be told - by someone they trust on the subject - that they really ought to know about (insert band name) because they (rock/make you sexier/have this really nifty dance/whatever.) You can lead a horse to water, but to make him drink, you have to go extremes of violence that would probably bring the ASPCA down on you.
  • ASPRonASPRon Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    You may not access to the RBN but still tell every one about your favorite unsigned band as they may show up on here. Support your music you may turn some one on to your favorite artist that may have a 360. Support your Indie bands we don't need records labels to tell us what to like or listen to! Example hey 360 friend I see you like Tool well I heard of a band in Rockband Network called Mile Marker Zero that you may be into! They even have a track in Rockband Network! Cool thanks for telling me I checked them out bought the CD it rocked and in fact I will be seeing them at Toads Place in the summer right on! Support your bands any way you can. RBN is just another way of getting great music to people!