Where the Light Was Born (etc)...Sound Quality

RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I usually just go with the flow when it comes to an off song as far as the sound goes.

However, this song has easily the worst sound quality I have come across in my 1,398 song library (that's all of them including Beattles)...It was so bad I was checking my speaker connections and making sure my surround was working.

I did not rate the song, as I usually rate after the 2nd play through (if I remember), but when I do, it will likely be a 0 or a 1.

It's too bad too, because from what I do hear, it is not a bad song in the least.

Does sound quality not come into the equation when the peers are reviewing?

Comments

  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    You should have demoed it.

    Also, it sounds fine to me.
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Thom1234;3615643 said:
    You should have demoed it.

    Also, it sounds fine to me.
    I don't demo anything. I buy everything. I sure as hell wasn't complaining about the dollar I spent.

    I was merely asking if "sound quality" is part of the peer review process. Do you know?

    As far as "sounding fine to you", well okay. Every other song I played yesterday "sounded fine to me" too, but not this one. Maybe that is just how the song sounds and it is meant to sound the way it does. It just sounded poor to me. I ended up adding +20 to my speakers for the song in order to get it to be as loud as the others.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    RealMessiah;3615651 said:
    I don't demo anything. I buy everything.

    I was merely asking if "sound quality" is part of the peer review process. Do you know?
    Yes it is, although it's generally assumed that songs that make it to Peer Review shouldn't have major issues with sound quality.

    Also, it's very hard to assess sound quality when peer-reviewing, since you have to play the song in audition mode, and can't compare it to the sound quality of an average RB song. This is why the badly-mixed Wavegroup songs got through Peer Review.
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Thom1234;3615659 said:
    Yes it is, although it's generally assumed that songs that make it to Peer Review shouldn't have major issues with sound quality.

    Also, it's very hard to assess sound quality when peer-reviewing, since you have to play the song in audition mode, and can't compare it to the sound quality of an average RB song. This is why the badly-mixed Wavegroup songs got through Peer Review.
    Good information. It's not a huge deal or anything. I was just curious. There are other songs with lower quality (as you have pointed out) but all in all I would say the quality is excellent on RBN.
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    RealMessiah;3615662 said:
    Good information. It's not a huge deal or anything. I was just curious. There are other songs with lower quality (as you have pointed out) but all in all I would say the quality is excellent on RBN.
    Also, while this is a minor possibility, it may be that it's not the mixing, but may be the quality of the original recordings themselves. Black Metal generally has lo-fi production values.
  • DekarTheDragoonDekarTheDragoon Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Thom1234;3615675 said:
    Also, while this is a minor possibility, it may be that it's not the mixing, but may be the quality of the original recordings themselves. Black Metal generally has lo-fi production values.
    I have gotten this impression from the track. I think that's how it was intended to sound.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited April 2010
    it sounds just how it's supposed to
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Thom1234;3615675 said:
    Also, while this is a minor possibility, it may be that it's not the mixing, but may be the quality of the original recordings themselves. Black Metal generally has lo-fi production values.
    I was thinking that could be the case as well. I have never actually heard the song so maybe I am hearing it as it is on the album.
  • ShibariShibari Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Yeah black metal usually has pretty crappy production to support the atmosphere. I think it's still pretty stupid sometimes, I'd like to hear the instruments.
  • jimburyjimbury Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    have to say it didn't sound particularly bad to me and i was playing it through headphones. the chart is that mental though that i wasn't really concentrating on the noise just the flood of notes coming at me.
  • moomandwwmoomandww Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    It sounds fine to me too. Actualy, for a black metal song it sounds freaking great on the audio quality.
  • Tomstar42Tomstar42 Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    I can see what you mean, the vocals do sound pretty bad, everything else seems ok though. Also, I'd like to see an FC of this song on guitar, the points total would be insane lol.
  • metalchartermetalcharter Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    Hey guys - I was the one who charted the track, so i thought I'd chime in here. The sound quality is definitely pretty much standard (or even on the good side) for a black metal track. The genre (in general) is characterized by poor production as an atmospheric tool. I also didn't have access to a whole bunch of different audio stems (one for guitar, one for bass, one for drums, one for vox, one for synth), so the amount of remixing/bringing out the different voices I could do was pretty limited.

    It's definitely not a track that is going to appeal to everybody - if we say 5% of the population love metal, maybe 5% of those people like black metal - it's definitely an acquired taste!
  • jimburyjimbury Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    metalcharter;3617574 said:


    It's definitely not a track that is going to appeal to everybody - if we say 5% of the population love metal, maybe 5% of those people like black metal - it's definitely an acquired taste!
    and not everyone has arms like a dock worker and can last the pace on your chart ;) it had me sweating
  • moomandwwmoomandww Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Tomstar42;3617565 said:
    I can see what you mean, the vocals do sound pretty bad, everything else seems ok though. Also, I'd like to see an FC of this song on guitar, the points total would be insane lol.
    Thats just how black metal vocals always sound.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited April 2010
    haha, that's some of the cleanest non-symphonic black metal i've ever heard.
Sign In or Register to comment.