My band replied! So, where to go from here?

taylorleetaylorlee Road Warrior
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I sent an e-mail a while back to videogame composers "Rebecca Kneubuhl and Gabriel Mann" asking if they would be interested in having some of their songs available for purchase via Rock Band Network, and they replied, saying that they were!

BUT, they have also asked me how to go about doing so, and I have no real experience with the Rock Band Network programs or procedures.

I really want to help point them in the right direction, so what route should I take from here?

I was going to point them to the Creator's Club website, and especially the FAQ's section.

What do you kind folks suggest?

Comments

• SaintlyStickSaintlyStick Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    That sounds like a pretty good plan, but try not to come off as someone who knows absolutely nothing. :P

Just tell them about what they need to download and if they can't author that there are note charters out there.

Also congratz on getting a band to respond!
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Well, 1st of all What music would they be releasing? As far as I can tell all of their music is from video games, which would mean the company that released those games could possibly share the rights to them, which would make this a sticky situation. Also, pretty much all of there songs have no guitar, no bass, no vocals, and very little drums, mostly percussion. If you could give an example of a song you were thinking of having them get into the RBN that would help. You would want to do this before pointing them in any direction, make sure their music would work on the RBN before making promises.
  • taylorleetaylorlee Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3616586 said:
    Well, 1st of all What music would they be releasing? As far as I can tell all of their music is from video games, which would mean the company that released those games could possibly share the rights to them, which would make this a sticky situation. Also, pretty much all of there songs have no guitar, no bass, no vocals, and very little drums, mostly percussion. If you could give an example of a song you were thinking of having them get into the RBN that would help. You would want to do this before pointing them in any direction, make sure their music would work on the RBN before making promises.
    This comes off as being very rude to me, at least your tone.

Obviously, I requested and suggested their songs that actually have the instruments. Not that Footloose And Fancy Free isn't amazing looking or anything.

I have also asked both about the licensing situation of their works. I understand that having composed a song for a video game can be murky waters when it comes to the rights.
    edited April 2010
    taylorlee;3616648 said:
    This comes off as being very rude to me, at least your tone.

Obviously, I requested and suggested their songs that actually have the instruments. Not that Footloose And Fancy Free isn't amazing looking or anything.

I have also asked both about the licensing situation of their works. I understand that having composed a song for a video game can be murky waters when it comes to the rights.
    lol it's text it has no tone :D

But, for the sake of argument, if it did have a tone, it wouldn't be a rude one, it would be a friendly and helpful one ;)

Anywho, I've taken a listen through some songs on their site, and can't find any with a good mix of RB supported instruments. What are some of the songs that you speak of that do? I'll check 'em out.
    edited April 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3616693 said:
    lol it's text it has no tone :D

But, for the sake of argument, if it did have a tone, it wouldn't be a rude one, it would be a friendly and helpful one ;)

Anywho, I've taken a listen through some songs on their site, and can't find any with a good mix of RB supported instruments. What are some of the songs that you speak of that do? I'll check 'em out.
    I don't know, it seemed to me that it had a "know-it-all" attitude, fraught with negativity.

Anyways, I requested two songs, both from the Legend of Spyro games.

Guide You Home (I Would Die For You)

This Broken Soul

Not posting links to copywritten work, but they are easy enough to youtube.

I don't predict that either will be terribly difficult to play (especially This Broken Soul), but they are both (in my opinion) good songs that will be great to sing. There are a shortage of those available, unfortunately.

A shame that Rock Band Network has no support for harmonies, or Guide You Home would be one of the most epic of epic songs to sing.
  • peanutknightpeanutknight Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    I would LOVE to see those two songs :D Guide you home is beautiful. I would soooo download that and sing it even with my crappy vocal skills :P
    edited April 2010
    I'm glad to see another fan create an account to have their first post be voicing their excitement!

I thought I was the only person who had actually heard the songs and wanted to play them.

Anyways, thanks to the amazing assistance from you helpful forum-goers, this was the response I crafted.

Please tell me if it was suitable!

"Hello again! I'm very glad to hear back from you two!

I have not actively participated in the Rock Band Network from a production standpoint, aside from purchasing songs, so I'm definitely NOT an expert on how all of the programs work, but I will do the very best that I can to help, or at least point you in the right direction.

First and foremost, I will point you to the Rock Band Creators website (and more importantly, their Frequently Asked Questions page).

http://creators.rockband.com/docs/Main_Page

http://creators.rockband.com/docs/FAQ

These both have integral information if you wish to author the song yourself.

From here, you have two options.

You can elect to author the song charts yourself (which is a time consuming procedure, especially if you are unfamiliar with the Reaper/Magma programs involved, or Rock Band itself). This way, you can keep the full cut of the profits your song makes, which is 30 percent of the purchase price. Experience with MIDI, stem tracks, audio mixing, and Rock Band itself are all recommended. I also highly recommend checking out the above links if this sounds like the way to go.

Or, the much more popular alternative is to contact an "authoring group". Shortly after the Rock Band Network was announced, a number of groups consisting of individuals who are devoted fans of the Rock Band platform, and are well-versed in using the required tools for authoring tracks for Rock Band, were formed.

Here is a link to a list the major authoring groups, on the official Rock Band Forums.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156832

Using an authoring company is much easier, but at a price. As a business, they charge for their services. However, they will have all of the necessary components for it (the purchased software, the current memberships, etc) right off the bat.

It is up to you to choose which one you want to use!

This should definitely help with a starting point. I cannot say how great it is to hear back from you two!"
    edited April 2010
    Oh lawdy, by does the mod keep deletin' ma here posts?!
  • ethicalpaulethicalpaul Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Probably just a random glitch--just keep posting!
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited April 2010
    taylorlee;3621363 said:
    Anyways, thanks to the amazing assistance from you helpful forum-goers, this was the response I crafted.
    Sounded like a very well written and informative reply.
  • HMXMister_GameHMXMister_Game Harmonix Developer
    edited April 2010
    Well written Sir. I wish you luck.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

I'll probably post in here once they get back to me, regarding licensing viability or whatnot.
    edited April 2010
    Just took a listen to the two songs, sounds good. Hope this all turns out okay as there is a severe lack of vocal-focused songs on RBN so far.