"Never Let You Go" guitar chart

ledbowmanledbowman Opening Act
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Am I dense or is there something really off about the guitar chart? You hear notes that aren't represented visually and notes that are audibly and visually out-of-synch (like the very first one). Others have said it looks fine to them, but I'm not convinced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Cu7K3xe60

Comments

• dman2309dman2309 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Yeah. It does look like it didn't have some notes charted that are clearly audible. Here's the song in Guitar Hero for comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C512mD4OZDU
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Um, you know the Youtube video has an A/V lag, right? I'm guessing thats what makes it look weird, the charting is fine, just out of sync a bit (due to the lag)
  • brownies4allbrownies4all Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, focusing on the drums notes, I could tell that the vid itself isn't in perfect sync. The song should be in sync with the chart if you were playing it yourself for real, I think.

And after comparing the RBN and GH tracks, I'm not too found of GH's. Those extra notes they charted in the verses (I'm a drummer not a guitarist, but I think those were slides?), they've been not charted before. Compare GHIII's Prayer of the Refugee with RB's. I immediately noticed the same thing. I think they're a little better left out of the chart, but that's my opinion.
  • knifes39knifes39 Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    bringing this up is it me or it is just the video cause it seems the RBN version has better mixing than the GH5 one
  • ledbowmanledbowman Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3621155 said:
    Um, you know the Youtube video has an A/V lag, right? I'm guessing thats what makes it look weird, the charting is fine, just out of sync a bit (due to the lag)
    I could accept that as the explanation if every note were out-of-synch, but some are perfectly in-time and that still doesn't explain why some notes lack visual representaion outright, in-synch or not.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    ledbowman;3621209 said:
    I could accept that as the explanation if every note were out-of-synch, but some are perfectly in-time and that still doesn't explain why some notes lack visual representaion outright, in-synch or not.
    theres also the fact the notes you hear.....may not be the guitarist playing them?

the video represented all over youtube do it no justice, cuz its ONLY guitar or ONLY drums, or a combo of the 2, but where is the bass?

also yeah, that video is WAY out of sync
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    I noticed this too when I first watched the video. Though something was horribly wrong. Just trust me on this one, it will feel a lot better when you actually play it. The audio/video lag is way messed up.
    edited April 2010
    DragoonXD;3621235 said:
    I noticed this too when I first watched the video. Though something was horribly wrong. Just trust me on this one, it will feel a lot better when you actually play it. The audio/video lag is way messed up.
    i agree

what im hearing sounds either like it would be a quick hopo here and there, or it may even be an echo.

but it definately isnt "notes purposely left out" as is being suggested, everything is there
    edited April 2010
    DragoonXD;3621235 said:
    I hate to be argumentative, but I have a hard time swallowing that because the notes as seen on Youtube are both in-time and out at various points in the song. Though, if you say it feels right when played, I have to take your word for it as I haven't played it.

As for the "missing" notes being something other than guitar, they undoubtedly are guitar. Before, I thought that maybe they could be echo, but they sound too "solid" (if you will) for that to be it.

...or maybe I've just finally gone off the deep end. Wouldn't surprise me.
    edited April 2010
    ledbowman;3621260 said:
    I hate to be argumentative, but I have a hard time swallowing that because the notes as seen on Youtube are both in-time and out at various points in the song. Though, if you say it feels right when played, I have to take your word for it as I haven't played it.

As for the "missing" notes being something other than guitar, they undoubtedly are guitar. Before, I thought that maybe they could be echo, but they sound too "solid" (if you will) for that to be it.

...or maybe I've just finally gone off the deep end. Wouldn't surprise me.
    your not mad, i hear what your hearing, when i sit and listen to the song closely
    but when your playing it you dont notice as easily, and you have obviously stated you are not in fact playing it

youll find stuff like this in ALOT of songs out there, just because you "hear" something doesnt always meanb its a played note, or that its even the instrument in question
  • frighty338frighty338 Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    For f's sake, just play the demo!
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited April 2010
    Just from watching the beginnings of both the GH video and the RB video, seems like the main difference is that GH charts notes at the ends of a lot of sustains, where the RB version doesn't. I'm not a real life guitarist, but it could be that the sound that the GH version is charting there is something other than strumming, like it's just the result of releasing the sustain, in which case it might be a subjective choice as to whether or not to chart them
    edited April 2010
    LuigiHann;3621350 said:
    something other than strumming, like it's just the result of releasing the sustain
    Hmm, never thought of that. Very likely. It's baffling to think that someone could just not chart those obvious sounds without good reason.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited April 2010
    it's vastly undercharted but it doesn't really matter because the simplistic nature of the song doesn't beg for any kind of higher difficulty.
  • edited April 2010
    I own the song, played it several times, and have never found it to be out of sync. So either I suck at noticing it or it's youtube video lag.

Edit: After watching the vid, I am inclined to believe it is the latter.

As others have said, if you want a surefire answer, just download the demo version and see for yourself.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited April 2010
    Most of the "missing" notes aren't missing at all. What you hearing that's not charted is the guitar players fingers sliding on the strings to change from chord to chord. The guitar chart is fine. All the real notes are charted accurately.
  • aperfectorestesaperfectorestes Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Mega-Tallica;3622631 said:
    Most of the "missing" notes aren't missing at all. What you hearing that's not charted is the guitar players fingers sliding on the strings to change from chord to chord. The guitar chart is fine. All the real notes are charted accurately.
    This

I think it's pretty obvious what I'm hearing actually.
    edited April 2010
    toymachineSH;3622467 said:
    it's vastly undercharted but it doesn't really matter because the simplistic nature of the song doesn't beg for any kind of higher difficulty.
    No it isn't.

If GH charted this song there'll be 200 more notes because they always overchart. When you start charting string noise, amp feedback, etc. which aren't even real notes, you are overcharting. This chart is fine.
    edited April 2010
    Yeah how dare a guitar chart simulate actually playing the song!

Why don't you take a look at some of the RB2 charts that do exactly what you accuse Guitar Hero of doing in such a douchebag QED fashion.
    edited April 2010
    Mega-Tallica;3622750 said:
    No it isn't.

If GH charted this song there'll be 200 more notes because they always overchart. When you start charting string noise, amp feedback, etc. which aren't even real notes, you are overcharting. This chart is fine.
    your trying to reason with someone who supports GH and is a scorehero fanatic, its not happening

dont forget, those types usualy want a song as hard as possible, and with as much scoring available as possible so that they can show off their high scores like it means something
    edited April 2010
    The song doesn't need to be "omg hard" but to say the way it's charted isn't odd is just plain denial :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jUk82Lghi4 - string muting etc

It's cool though I understand you'd never want to admit a Rock Band chart is incorrect.
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    hehe, nice to see they charted the song accurately, thats why i stopped playing the gh series, they overchart the hell out of any song.
    edited April 2010
    toymachineSH;3622793 said:
    Yeah how dare a guitar chart simulate actually playing the song!

Why don't you take a look at some of the RB2 charts that do exactly what you accuse Guitar Hero of doing in such a douchebag QED fashion.
    String noise and feedback is not playing and therefore should be charted. Get that through your thick skull.
    toymachineSH;3622811 said:
    The song doesn't need to be "omg hard" but to say the way it's charted isn't odd is just plain denial :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jUk82Lghi4 - string muting etc

It's cool though I understand you'd never want to admit a Rock Band chart is incorrect.
    Covers =/= Original recording

Especially an acoustic version of a non-acoustic song.

And I will admit there are few RB songs that are inaccurately charted, but that number doesn't even touch the surface on how many inaccurately charted GH songs there are. 90% of GH's charts are overcharted.
    edited April 2010
    Mega-Tallica;3622897 said:
    String noise and feedback is not playing and therefore should be charted. Get that through your thick skull.
    Ramblin' Man and Lazy Eye are both guilty of what you complain about and I doubt you even batted an eyelash at it.

And I will admit there are few RB songs that are inaccurately charted, but that number doesn't even touch the surface on how many inaccurately charted GH songs there are. 90% of GH's charts are overcharted
    rofl 90%
    edited April 2010
    toymachineSH;3622942 said:
    Ramblin' Man and Lazy Eye are both guilty of what you complain about and I doubt you even batted an eyelash at it.

rofl 90%
    There's a difference between string muting and string noise. String muting is you are hitting the string to create the desired muting effect. Therefore, both those charts are accurate. String noise is the sliding sound you get when your fingers slide on the strings when changing from chord to chord. This sound is usually edited out when recording, but if it does get in the final recording it is usually by accident. String noise is very rarely wanted and is usually caused by accident, therefore, string noise should not be charted.

And yes, every GH song with a solo is overcharted. So, that number is around 90% possibly even more.
    edited April 2010
    So does that mean that every RB song with a solo is undercharted?
  • FrankieBFrankieB Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    lol How any of you could claim that 5 plastic buttons could be accurate to a real instrument is comical. Your fanboyism is shining as bright as the sun.
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, to the person who is so used to GH's overcharted charts that they think RB charts are too easy and therefore undercharted.

That person is you.
    edited April 2010
    FrankieB;3622992 said:
    lol How any of you could claim that 5 plastic buttons could be accurate to a real instrument is comical. Your fanboyism is shining as bright as the sun.
    You act like your argument has never been stated before.

No **** I'm going to support any argument against RB in RB's favor since you know, you are on RB's official forums.
  • FrankieBFrankieB Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    "Hey guys, my plastic instrument game's charts are more accurate than your plastic instrument game's charts" = a virtual genitalia measuring contest.
This discussion has been closed.