Rock Band San Francisco: The Return!

AmpRackAmpRack Unsigned
edited January 2012 in Rock Band Events
If you live in the Bay Area and love to play Rock Band, then get out here and show your skills!

[CENTER]Rock Band Competition Nights in San Francisco![/CENTER]

* - Wall Sized Projector, and a speaker system that works!
* - Full bar til 2am, kitchen with full menu open til midnight!
* - Large, dedicated room where we can be as loud as we want!
* - $50 bar tab goes to the winning band! Drinks, shots, food, whatever you want!
* - 1000+ songs, detailed books, regularly updated with new songs each event!

And the importantest info:

December 8th Umloud! @DNALounge (Special Charity Event!)
December 18th @FlyBarSF (Freeplay!)

Fly Bar and Restaurant (1085 Sutter Street at Larkin, San Francisco)
Free play: 8pm - 9pm
Tournament: 9pm to 11pm (later if theres a lot of bands)
Free play: until 2am
21+ please, sorry. (not my call, it's just the law)

Here's a bunch of important links to help you:
- RBSF On Facebook,
- MeetUp.com Official Group for other listed events (generally in the East Bay)
- Follow us on Twitter @RockbandSF!
- Our current song-list can be seen here at MyRockBandSongs.com (updated once a week)

If theres any questions I'll be happy to answer them anywhere you can throw them!

Comments

• AmpRackAmpRack Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    If you're into that whole "FaceBook (tm)" thing, here's a link to the event.

Click Here!
    edited May 2010
    Last month was a great success, so we're officially cleared to keep it up on a monthly basis. The next night will be May 23rd, starts at 8, competition from 9 to 12, free play til last call.

Facebook Event
    Facebook Group
  • MisterSchulzMisterSchulz Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Nooooo, I missed it. I definitely want to make the next one
    edited June 2010
    You're in luck, the next one is scheduled and ready to go! June 27th, same time same place. The last one went well enough, though the entire month was horrible for scheduling. One week was Bay to Breakers, the next week was the LOST finale, the week after that was memorial day weekend. Doomed, but even then our regulars made it out and we had a blast. This time around, nothing is going on to get in the way of things. Even the owner here mentioned that we may able to start doing more in the way of prizes if the turnout keeps up (though, thats still hearsay at this point).

edit - For posterity, I'm just going to update the first post with the most accurate info each month. Make it easier to follow.
  • SaikouMenjiSaikouMenji Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I promise to be less drunk and obnoxious this time :D
  • NarakuKatNarakuKat Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    Anyone following the forum should check out the FB page to see the pictures from last night (6/27/2010). It was a stellar night. If you missed then keep your eyes peeled onto the FB page, the forum, and the Barnights site. Looks like the one in July will be sooner than expected, maybe.

Rock on out there.
    edited June 2010
    Hells yeah, the last one was probably one of our better ones so far. Lots of good pictures up, some new faces, good turnout and great performances all around.

The next one is planned and scheduled for Sunday, July 18th. Scheduling for the rest of the year is going to be a little strange for a couple reasons;

1) Holiday Scheduling - Holding the RBNight on the last sunday is good for a while, but Halloween falls on the last Sunday of October, and I doubt people will want to come out. Then, with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years, I'd rather try and plan around everyone evenly.

2) Umloud 2010 - I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to go into it, but I'm going to be holding another RBNight the Sunday before Umloud, which also means trying to figure out when best to do it all.

The end result of all this means that, rather than doing it at the last Sunday of the months, it's going to be slowly pushed back to be a little more often, and earlier each month. I'm still working on exact scheduling for the rest of the year, but in any case, it only means we'll be having them marginally more often than previously. Here's a rough (but not set in stone) schedule I'm playing with:

July 18th
    August 22nd
    September 19th
    October 17th
    November 14st ?
    December 5th
    December ?? (possible mid-month 'christmas edition)
    January 9th
    edited July 2010
    Green Day, CCR, and The Who are all added into the song list.
    edited July 2010
    Rest of the year schedule is completed. See the first post for details, be sure to check the local tab too.
    edited July 2010
    Well, the night is all done. Good times all around. Lots of the usual.

In other news, we're on Twitter now @RockBandSF and theres a Flickr page right here!

edit - Should mention that, while both exist, they're very new so they may be a little empty for the time being,
    edited July 2010
    Ooh ooh. Adding a special non-competition event to the schedule.

Tuesday October 26th, Rock Band 3 Launch Party
    More details once it gets closer to time, but same time and place as all the past events. No competition, no prizes, just come out and play Rock Band 3 all night on the day it comes out. Simple, fun.
    edited August 2010
    That was fun, kids! Sept 12th is the next one, so get ready. Also, start thinking about Umloud because it'll be here before you know it...
    edited September 2010
    These things just get better and better. Last Sunday night was great!

I got around to updating the first post with date information, updated links, and the next event is scheduled on Facebook. Also, I'm working on setting up things on MeetUp.com to hopefully bring some more people in.
    edited September 2010
    Alright, new info added to first post regarding the Bay Area Rockers East Bay Events. Get it on!
  • Islander1975Islander1975 Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    Lots of new DLC this time around. I can't wait!
    edited October 2010
    Islander1975;4056721 said:
    Lots of new DLC this time around. I can't wait!
    Oh yes. Counting the track-pack you guys donated, there's something like 50-60 songs to add, SO FAR. It's gonna be wild.
  • endocottendocott Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    I made it out sunday, that was fun, definitely will try to make it again!
    edited October 2010
    Yeah. That was probably the biggest turnout we've had in a while, possibly ever. Rough head-count was about 35-40 people. It was great seeing new people.

Speaking of 'again', the next event is ready to go. October 26th, 8pm, at Fly Bar again. Special Rock Band 3 Release Party! See first post for details.
    edited October 2010
    Umloud News!

Just in case you've been out of the loop, Umloud is a once-a-year Rock Band concert for charity. No competition, bands buy a ticket to go onstage at DNA Lounge and perform a song of their choosing to the audience. All proceeds go to Childs Play Charity. Long story short, you rock out to help the young-ins. Go check out the website for more info.

Slightly more imporantlier, a new addition to this year's Umloud is the Headline Auction. Bands have a chance to bid on a special ticket that lets them play 2 songs, plus lots of special VIP treatment that no one else gets.

>>> Here's That Auction Link! Closes 10/28, 4:04 PM, PST <<< </font>
  • TheSegTheSeg Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the mentions AmpRack!

[url=http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203327]I also made a new thread for
    edited October 2010
    Bro, you just got first-posted!
    edited October 2010
    Ok. The Launch Party here last night was INSANE. It also means I'm probably going to start saving up for proper Ion Drums, but it might be a while. I'm also quite pleased with all the changes that came with Rock Band 3. It's going to make our lives running the show much easier.

That said, our next event is ready for November 14th, and we're back to our regular competition. Check the first post for details, check out the Facebook group, and follow us on Twitter.

Also also, make sure you go look at www.umloud.org because that's coming up crazy soon.
    edited November 2010
    Oh wow. It just occured to me that this upcoming event (11/14) is the last competition for the year. December 5th and 19th are free-play hang-out nights, as is Umloud.

Competition will start up again in January 10th, and we're going to do it every 3 weeks. Sounds a little weird, but the idea is that now we can do it 'a little more often than once a month', but spaced out just far enough to make it worth coming out each and every time. I'll post a more complete schedule here soon.
    edited November 2010
    Alright, so Rock Band 3 changed the way that we do a few things, and a few people have asked how it works now so here's how a competition night breaks down:

1) Bands can be any number of people (preferably at least 4), but only 4 people will be scored: Guitar, Bass, Drums, and EITHER Vocals or Keyboards. Essentially, if All Instrument Mode is on, keyboards are the 4th score. Else, vocals are.

2) Pro-Mode will not be scored. We don't have pro-guitars or pro-drums (yet...?), but as far as keyboards and harmonies go, you CAN play pro-mode, but you wont get scored any higher/differently than if you were playing standard mode. If you play medium pro-keys, you get scored for medium standard-keys.

3) You can still play any song you want. We're up to 700+ songs now, and there's no restriction on what you can play. The scoring system we use is a little different, but not in any big way that you guys will notice. The end result is that each band gets a smaller score-per-song (2500pts, reduced from 7000pts), it's more balanced, but the smaller high-score means a closer competition.

4) Free-Play hasn't changed. The launch party event was a little different, so that everyone could have a chance to get in and play the game. It may be a system we fully adopt, wherein (as described below) we have a sign-up list and call people/bands up karaoke bar style. Seems to be a bit smoother this way.

edit - See italicized section for minor change.
    edited November 2010
    Round 8 successful! The next event is scheduled and ready to go, December 5th!

This one is a bit different. As you've probably heard, Umloud is coming up on December 9th (make sure you get tickets!!!!). So, instead of a competition night, we're doing freeplay. More specifically, we're giving the bands a chance to come in and practice their song before the big show. Regular freeplay rules still apply, so even if you're not in a band for Umloud, you're still more than welcome to show up and play with everyone else. We'll moderate it like we did for the launch party; everyone signs up karaoke style and we'll call you up for a song. It'll run much smoother that way.

Check the first post for time/date info!
    edited December 2010
    Round 9, done and AWESOME. We had a great turnout for this last one.

Round 10 is scheduled for December 19th @FlyBarSF, right before Christmas. With all the holiday travel and confusion, I'm not anticipating a big turnout that night, but we'll still be there playing all night long. It'll be free-play only, starts at 8pm. The Facebook event page will be setup soon, but it's going to be a couple more days before I get around to it.

Because Umloud is in 2 days, and I'm getting all of THAT stuff together first. If you're going to be in one of the ultimate bands, you understand. If you're not, it would behoove of you to go buy a ticket and show your support for us all. All proceeds go to Childs Play Charity, so why not?

Here's the list of bands, so you can see what all is going to be played for the night. Take a look, get a ticket, tell your friends, ROCK.
    edited December 2010
    Holy hell, I REALLY hope that, if you're reading this right now, that you went to Umloud last night. I mean, WOW. 1 headliner band, 25 ultimate bands, 4 standard bands, tons of prizes, and just a light splash of high octane booze.

And the pictures. And videos. And memories. Man oh man. It may not seem like it at the time, but after it's all over, it really is worth every dollar, every second. If you missed out this year, stay tuned for the videos and be prepared to come out next year. If you DID come out to umloud, feel free to link pictures and/or videos here for sharing.

One of my friends recorded just about every band's song on an hd camera, but it'll be a couple days or so before I get ahold of the disc to break it down and upload it.

In the meantime, the next event is going to be a round of freeplay @FlyBarSF, December 19th at 8pm.
  • SaikouMenjiSaikouMenji Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    Oh jeebus yeah! I was literally only able to be there for one song (mine) but damn was it cool! I wish I could'a stayed the whole time but . . . complications arose. On to next year!
    edited December 2010
    Aye, sometimes **** happens like that.

Luckily, theres this youtube playlist of almost all the bands that performed that night. Once the rest of the band videos start filtering in, I'll make sure they get added in there too.

I advise everyone, whether you attended or not, to go watch those videos.
    edited December 2010
    The last event had an amazing turnout. Lots of new people, and several people I've not seen in quite some time. For a rainy pre-holiday sunday night, there was a REALLY good crowd. Thanks to everyone for coming out, special thanks to Jason for bringing the ion kit for everyone to play on!

The next event is scheduled for Sunday, January 16th at FlyBar. We're bringing back competitions again after a couple-month break from it, but free-play still happens before and after just like it used to. Check the links in the first post for details (as well as a rehashing/update of the rules and whatnot).