40th Aniversary of the Beatles' Breakup.

Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
edited April 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
That's today :(

If only they managed to get past their differences and made music in the 70's. (Though they would have been terrible in the 80's if the Who, Stones, and Kinks are any indication.)

Comments

• joekoolljoekooll Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    It was 40 years ago today
    The Beatles didn't want to play
    They were growing apart and apart
    But they wanted being solo to start
    So may we say good-bye to you
    The band you've herd for eight years
    The Beatles
  • MFDoomuhlayMFDoomuhlay Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    What if the Beatles had made a disco album?
    ew.

would've been great to still hear their music for the following decades, but it just wouldn't have worked.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited April 2010
    I doubt a Disco alubm would happen. Mabye a song or two ala Miss You, but even if they did, it would probably age better than the majority of disco.
  • kaid100kaid100 Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    Since the Beatles had all moved in different directions musically, it's hard to predict what any future album might have resembled. Since Paul was always most in-tune with current trends, he might have suggested a disco track, but probably not a disco album.
  • HotMangoChutneyHotMangoChutney Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    I do still wish they'd managed to put together one last album, presumably released in the fall of 1970. "Instant Karma" b/w "Wah-Wah" could've been a summer single release, and the album (All Things Must Pass probably being the most appropriate title) would consist of 12 or 13 of the following tracks:

From John: "Look at Me," "Isolation," "Well Well Well," "Give Me Some Truth," "I'm Just a Child of Nature," and "Madman"

From Paul: "Maybe I'm Amazed,"* "Every Night,"* "Another Day," "Oh Woman Oh Why," "The Back Seat of My Car," and "Monkberry Moon Delight"

From George: "All Things Must Pass,"* "Let It Down,"* "What Is Life,"* "Isn't It a Pity," and "Hear Me Lord"

From Ringo: "Coochy Coochy" and "It Don't Come Easy"

Granted, some of these songs I'm not sure were written early enough for inclusion on this album for a fall 1970 release (particularly "Another Day," "Oh Woman Oh Why," and any of the songs from Ram), but this is as good an estimation as I can conjure.

* = on the album for sure.
  • SisterRaySisterRay Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    I would have like to have seen the Beatles do one more album. I would have liked to have heard "Cold Turkey" or "My Sweet Lord" as done by the Beatles. I also think the Beatles were at the time created an interesting variation of blues-rock in "I Want You (She So Heavy) and the very unusual prog like structure of the Abbey Road Medleys. Maybe that was their new style they were working on.

Then again when you consider the Beatles work rate (1st single 1962, last album 1969) and their creativity. Maybe they just needed a break.

These days it takes all the bands of close to comparable popularity (Coldplay, U2 etc) up to 3 years to produce one album that sounds pretty much exactly the same as the last one.
  • Big-A2Big-A2 Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    I think if they never broke up they would've gone into The Who or Led Zeppelin style hard rock in 1970 and then prog-rock around late 1972 or early 1973.

Then they either get killed off by punk and disco or just keep going untill the music gets tired.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited April 2010
    Big-A2;3635663 said:
    I think if they never broke up they would've gone into The Who or Led Zeppelin style hard rock in 1970 and then prog-rock around late 1972 or early 1973.

Then they either get killed off by punk and disco or just keep going untill the music gets tired.
    Nah, probably not as much hard rock. I don't think any of the Beatles solo careers even approached that, so don't know why the 4 of them together would have.

I don't think we'll ever know. While some of their solo works might have been Beatles songs, there also would have been stuff that we don't have, and the songs that were solo songs would have likely sounded different.

And I'm sure they would have done some kind of disco song, even if it wasn't a parody/homage of some kind like "Back in the USSR" was to surf rock.