Testing and Reviewing...do you want to help?

dmbdawdmbdaw Road Warrior
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I just signed up last week and I think that it has been totally worth it. It is time consuming...but to make sure a quality product goes out to the consumer it needs to be. I've seen posts talking about a slow down in releasing songs and that was my call to action. We could always use more help. I just wanted to personally vouch for the process.

Comments

• wrldindstries302wrldindstries302 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    I do want to help

but I do not have the money to spend on an XNA account
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited April 2010
    wrldindstries302;3627476 said:
    I do want to help

I'm in the same boat. :(
  • dmbdawdmbdaw Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    I don't think it gets said enough...but there is a 4 month membership for $50. You don't have to get the $99 to test or review (however it is for a year).
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited April 2010
    I want to help and would be willing to play... but I'm not 18.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    I do want to help

Same here, heck I don't even have internet at home. The only time I get to DL songs is by bringing my xbox to a friends house. Internet just cost too much.
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Just bought myself a years membership. Aside from testing songs, you can also test anything coming up the Indie Games pipeline.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited April 2010
    I do want to help

This, except I do have the money. I just don't see it as worth it. It feels like I'd be donating a bunch of money to Microsoft for the privilege of doing time consuming volunteer work. Umm... I'm happy to volunteer my time, but I'm not happy donating money to Microsoft. And, yes, I see it as that, because I'd get literally nothing out of XNA other than being an RBN playtester.
    edited April 2010
    ^ You could always submit a new "Massage" Indie game and make a few thousand bucks. Seems to be popular since there's 6 of them up there right now. Not sure why they're popular......... :confused::rolleyes::p:D
  • PonchoPoncho Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    I have XNA from the dreamspark promo, but I don't understand how to test a song/Where to get the songs from. Do you have to ask authors or is there some secret forum on creators.rockband that has just a mass thread?
  • BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited April 2010
    I do want to help

I think that might be why the network is losing playtesters. I know I definitely want to help out, but I also don't have the disposable income needed for an XNA account. It's sad, but that seems to be it.
    edited April 2010
    sign into the creators.rockband site and select 'song'.
    Pick a song. Then click on 'download'.
    Then you just need to make sure you've got magma running and your xbox has been connected to you pc and that you're sitting in the 'audition' mode on RB2. The rest is pretty cake.
  • jimburyjimbury Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    ..blah blah....like to help.....blah blah....outside usa....blah
  • ThunderCurlsThunderCurls Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    I would love to help but $50 - $100 is just plain ridiculous, especially considering we are offering OUR services to help THEM.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Poncho;3635560 said:
    I have XNA from the dreamspark promo, but I don't understand how to test a song/Where to get the songs from. Do you have to ask authors or is there some secret forum on creators.rockband that has just a mass thread?
    those school etc promos DO NOT let you test
    they let you author stuff only basicaly
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited April 2010
    jeccaneko;3635531 said:
    It feels like I'd be donating a bunch of money to Microsoft for the privilege of doing time consuming volunteer work.
    ThunderCurls;3635712 said:
    I would love to help but $50 - $100 is just plain ridiculous, especially considering we are offering OUR services to help THEM.
    I agree completely with you both. It's too bad that an expensive XNA account is required for the testing, because there would certainly be a lot more dedicated testers onboard if the startup cost wasn't so high. There's certainly the potential of buyer's remorse when you think, "wow, I just spent 100 bucks (120 in Canada) for the sole purpose of giving my time to help a product sell".

Playtesting can be really timeconsuming, when you consider all the aspects of a song that need to be checked that require multiple playthroughs on all difficulties, not to mention making suggestions and noting problems. It's easy to feel burned-out after a while when it can feel like such a chore.
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited April 2010
    Why do you playtest, Kev?
    edited April 2010
    bmaninc;3636306 said:
    Why do you playtest, Kev?
    Girls
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited April 2010
    then why do you completely agree that testing can be a chore?
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited April 2010
    I don't play guitar on expert, so I can't help there, I don't have an X-box so I'm out on that as well. If I'm going to donate money and time, it will be to an actual charity. If it were free and available to me I'd give it a try to see if it's entertaining to me. Rockband is for my entertainment first and foremost, and I just don't see paying $100 to do something that looks like it would be less entertaining for me (hey if you like it, fill your boots!) than just playing the game.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited April 2010
    bmaninc;3636312 said:

Remember that girls comment?

There are none :p
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited April 2010
    I want to start reviewing, but I cant find out how the xbox needs to be connected to the PC. I got a new router that is on the offical compatible list. I can have my computer and my xbox online at the same time. But I dont know if I need to do anything else.

I dont want to drop 100 bucks if it doesnt work on my set up.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited April 2010
    That's all I have. A router that has my 360 and PC up and running at the same time.

I didn't need anything outside of that for it to work.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited April 2010
    Playtesting is certainly not for everyone.

Even if it were cheaper/free to participate, there would still be few people who would actually give very thorough reviews. Most would try it out for a bit, then quickly tire of it when they realize the time investment required to give thorough feedback/reviews.
    edited April 2010
    bmaninc;3636312 said:
    Haha, okay

I signed up for XNA on a whim, like it was an impulse buy next to the cash register at 7-Eleven. It was cool for a bit to see all the "behind the scenes" of how songs are put together, but honestly after a while, I felt a buyer's remorse with it. 120 bucks buys a lot of DLC (hell, or groceries), and I never had any intention of authoring songs myself (not that we have the option to do so in Canada anyway). All the motivation for a dedicated tester through the Creators site is intrinsic, so the reward is feeling good for helping out. That only goes so far with me before I think, "I still have to pay for the songs for which I devoted several hours to making improvement notes".

I've been doing some work with an authoring group now as internal QA and it feels more rewarding to be more involved with the process. Actually using Reaper to see how songs are put together is a whole different experience from just playing through songs using Magma. Plus the group is VERY organized and passionate, and it's evident in their work.

When my XNA account expires in 2011, I don't know if I would renew it with the way the RBN system works with dedicated playtesters at the moment.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited April 2010
    noble;3636331 said:
    That's all I have. A router that has my 360 and PC up and running at the same time.

I didn't need anything outside of that for it to work.
    Perfect! I tried to steam windows media last night and it wasnt having any of it, so I was kinda worried that it wouldnt work.

I might set this up next week.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited April 2010
    If you view it as a chore/task/... then of course paying to do it doesn't make sense.

If you view it as entertainment/fun/... then I think it does make sense. The idea of paying 50 bucks for 4 months of enjoyment seems like a good deal to me.

I have Tested/Reviewed well over 200 songs. I have fun doing it and as long as that holds true I will continue to do it. Pretty simple to me.
  • badhack0x13badhack0x13 Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Casto put it nice and succinctly.

I signed up for an XNA the day after the beta went live. I bought the year long subscription without hesitation, and threw myself into the creators documentation to learn how to be the best little playtester I could be.

Does it take time? Yes.
    Do you need to learn things? Yes.
    Does it require more than simply tossing up the song and playing through it once? Yes.

What makes it something of value depends entirely on your motivation for joining as a playtester.

If you're simply looking to get advance copies of the RBN songs, well there's already over 300 of them in various stages of the system. There's no shortage of things to play (albeit in audition mode only).

If you feel that RBN is an amazing, revolutionary step forward in both the games industry as well as the music industry, and you believe that momentum is a vital key to its success, then it's worth the cost to be part of that momentum. (This is the reason I signed up, and I've never regretted it for a moment).

If you want to play the game as you normally do, and don't necessarily want to learn what the charting rules are, or delve into what the different difficulties should feel like, or spend time playing a song several times over then writing up a report about it, then you might find it feels a bit like work. But if you're a rockband geek like me, you might find you really dig it!

For me, it's been an incredible experience. I've interacted and worked with some of the most creative, dedicated, and passionate people I've ever met. Being able to purchase a song that I helped shape into something a tiny bit more fun to play is an incredible feeling. I was even lucky enough to wind up working for an authoring company doing in-house playtesting. It's been worth every penny of the XNA cost a thousand times over.

But then, I'm weird like that. ;) If you think you're at all weird in the same way, then I'll hopefully see you on the other side in the creators forums!
  • G_tarRoCK3RG_tarRoCK3R Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Ehfahq;3636324 said:
    I want to start reviewing, but I cant find out how the xbox needs to be connected to the PC. I got a new router that is on the offical compatible list. I can have my computer and my xbox online at the same time. But I dont know if I need to do anything else.

I dont want to drop 100 bucks if it doesnt work on my set up.
    I don't have my comp connected to the xbox or anything and it works.....They just have to both be online. Get a hub if you need to split the internet access in two so both have internet at the same time?
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited April 2010
    G_tarRoCK3R;3636521 said:
    I don't have my comp connected to the xbox or anything and it wonks.....They just have to both be online. Get a hub if you need to split the internet access in two so both has internet at the same time?
    Thats how im set up. Both plugged into my router (both wired, no wireless going on).

Sounds like im set up the right way. Now i just gotta see if I have an extra 100 bucks.
  • TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited April 2010
    ThunderCurls;3635712 said:
    This sums up my feelings on the subject.

You pay a very large sum of money to test songs to help other people make money but you never get anything in return.

If it were free I would be more than willing to help, but for that kind of cash they should throw something the testers way to say thanks for making this whole business model work.