An itsy-bitsy issue I hope can be updated one day...

Mac-Or-MacMac-Or-Mac Unsigned
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I usually never post on here, so I have no idea if this was brought up yet. (And I usually don't care much to do a search... my bad)

As the topic line suggests, this "issue" is rather minute in the big picture, but I thought maybe I would bring it up to see if anyone agrees with me.

When I download songs, especially those possessing an Impossible-level track, I like to know how that song stacks up against those I've had and played. The RBN songs don't have this feature. They are classified in their particular difficulty, but are all bunched at the top of the list. For example, super tough drum tracks like those in "Panic Attack," "This is Exile," and what not are arranged in some order at the bottom, whereas the "not so bad" ones in the same difficulty like "Powerslave" and "Dammit" are rightfully placed at the top.

When I first got into RBN, I downloaded "Mordecai" and just that one. I figured it would be a skullcrusher, notably opening with blasts, but when I navigated to it in quickplay, it was right at the top. I thought to myself, "You never know," and dove in. Consequently, I peed my pants and failed in seconds.

I would actually place "Mordecai" directly after "Hammer Smashed Face" as far as drums go.

Updating this little thing would just help me know what I'm getting myself into. haha. Know what I'm saying?

Like I said, this is just a little thing. Sometimes the little things can go the distance with some people.

Comments

• PonchoPoncho Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    Mac-Or-Mac;3628285 said:
    I usually never post on here, so I have no idea if this was brought up yet. (And I usually don't care much to do a search... my bad)

As the topic line suggests, this "issue" is rather minute in the big picture, but I thought maybe I would bring it up to see if anyone agrees with me.

When I download songs, especially those possessing an Impossible-level track, I like to know how that song stacks up against those I've had and played. The RBN songs don't have this feature. They are classified in their particular difficulty, but are all bunched at the top of the list. For example, super tough drum tracks like those in "Panic Attack," "This is Exile," and what not are arranged in some order at the bottom, whereas the "not so bad" ones in the same difficulty like "Powerslave" and "Dammit" are rightfully placed at the top.

When I first got into RBN, I downloaded "Mordecai" and just that one. I figured it would be a skullcrusher, notably opening with blasts, but when I navigated to it in quickplay, it was right at the top. I thought to myself, "You never know," and dove in. Consequently, I peed my pants and failed in seconds.

I would actually place "Mordecai" directly after "Hammer Smashed Face" as far as drums go.

Updating this little thing would just help me know what I'm getting myself into. haha. Know what I'm saying?

Like I said, this is just a little thing. Sometimes the little things can go the distance with some people.
    I reason behind Mordecai being so low IMO is because after the first 1-2 mins (I forgot how long it was it) The song is extremely easy and doesn't pick up until around 4:30ish and it's only for about 20 seconds which can easily be overdrived through.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited April 2010
    It's been brought up before, and while I see the use of it, it's not really plausible for RBN.

It's tough enough trying to get everyone to agree on tier, but to ask that the RBN songs to be 'sub-tiered' would a) never be agreed upon (because everyone's judgment of difficulty on that scale is different) and b) would technically require anyone providing feedback to have played every single DLC on that tier for that instrument.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Poncho;3628313 said:
    I reason behind Mordecai being so low IMO is because after the first 1-2 mins (I forgot how long it was it) The song is extremely easy and doesn't pick up until around 4:30ish and it's only for about 20 seconds which can easily be overdrived through.
    No, it automatically puts all RBN songs at the top of the list.
  • whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited April 2010
    This:
    whypick1;3586899 said:
    Nope, they automatically sort to the top. RB songs get tiered with floating point numbers like so so that you can see how difficult songs in the same tier are compared to each other. RBN songs just have integers 0-7 (0 for No Parts), which means that went sorting by tier, all RBN songs get pushed to the top (least difficult) part of the tier, sorted alphabetically by song title.

They will "mix in" if an RB song happens to have tier value that's an integer. On guitar, "My Last Words" has a value of 7.0, so any tier 6 (I use 0-6, THE CORRECT WAY) RBN guitar songs will be around it.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2010
    I'd like to know how the floating point numbers are calculated, personally. Perhaps ratings further down the line could use a similar system to come up numbers instead of rounding to wholes.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2010
    Just a little correction because I'm picky that way: they're not actually floating point numbers, but integers from 80-600 that are also used in Rock Band 1 and Lego, so a 4/6 guitar song on RBN would get a rank of 302 and would mix in with other 302 songs.
  • whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited April 2010
    I remember something about the tierings being integers, but couldn't remember/find the source. Thanks Lynch.