Video Game bands on Rock Band Netowrk?

GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
edited April 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Hi, I know this has been touched on before, but I thought I'd start this again since it was never really resolved. I was wondering about the eligibility of Video Game bands in the Rock Band Network. Would bands such as Minibosses, Armcannon, and The Adventures Of Duane And Brando would be allowed in the network? If not, why, and what could they do/acquire to make it so they would be allowed? I would really like to contact some of them about getting involved, but I want to make sure I have all the info before I do.

Comments

• SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited April 2010
    Technically they wouldn't be able to, because even performing other renditions of the songs is still covering a song which was already composed.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited April 2010
    They could release any original songs they wrote/performed, but would not be able to release any songs that are covers of, or contain samples from game soundtracks.
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    just listening to the songs they have up in those myspace links ill tell you right now

not gonna happen

all of them are covering copyrighted material
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited April 2010
    what about Horse The Band >_>
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, original songs are okay. I'm pretty sure Armcannon has at least one. Bands who do a lot of video-game-inspired original music, like Anamanaguchi and Protomen, would have comparatively few issues. But yeah, no covers. It'd be cool if Harmonix would approach game companies and license the tracks, as covered by bands like you mention, as Rock Band DLC. I'm sure they'd be pretty popular. But such covers are definitely out of the scope of RBN.

Also, awesome to see somebody mention Armcannon. They're possibly the coolest of the VG Rock bands.
  • MacGravelMacGravel Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    HMXHenry;3462160 said:
    Covers / samples are allowed if you've licensed the songs that you're covering / sampling.

Basically, if you have to ask on RockBand.com if you're allowed to use a cover in RBN then the answer is probably no.
    Found this in another thread.
  • Kenny-BandKenny-Band Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    aww... I thought this thread would be about Kabbage Boy. I want my Kabbage Boy!
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Alright, I see. That sucks as some of this music would sell extremely well. Pretty much any band that released a cover of Dr. Wily's castle would rake in a pretty penny. Also, all of these bands have original music as well as covers, so I'm still probably gonna contact them all and see if they're interested.
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited April 2010
    Mmm, I would really enjoy some nintendocore.

Although, finding a song that doesn't sample any trademarked stuff would be really, really difficult. :\
    edited April 2010
    July 18th, 2009
    HMXMister_Game;2737369 said:
    Covers will not be allowed to be submitted for RBN. We made this decision in order to simplify the process by which we can assure ourselves that the submitter of the song owns all the necessary rights.
    January 27th, 2010:
    HMXHenry;3462160 said:
    Covers / samples are allowed if you've licensed the songs that you're covering / sampling.

Basically, if you have to ask on RockBand.com if you're allowed to use a cover in RBN then the answer is probably no.
    April 2nd, 2010:
    HMXMister_Game;3607327 said:
    Covers: No.
    Seems like a disagreement, especially since the latest quote is with regards to Wavegroup, a company who basically licenses covers for a living, and thus would know all about getting legit rights.

So let's check the FAQ for confirmation: http://creators.rockband.com/docs/FAQ
    Can I submit a cover song?

* No. The RBN Program Terms clearly define the rights you need. Basically, you must own or control all rights for both the composition and the sound recording(s) embodied in any song that you submit; this includes the right to receive all payments. Because of the complexity around rights for cover songs, we cannot allow them to be submitted.
    Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me. Henry either misspoke or the rules changed on him.

By the way, if people read this and are suddenly worried about the fate of the Fauxharmonic's use of Public Domain songs, fear not. The FAQ does go on:
    Can I submit a composition from the Public Domain?

* Yes, you can, with a couple restrictions. As with any other submission to RBN you must control all the necessary rights for any song that you submit to the extent such submission is protected by copyright or other applicable law. In addition, for Public Domain songs
    o You must document that the composition is in fact in the public domain (and we will ask you to submit such information for review and verification in our sole discretion)
    o You must ensure that all other non-public domain elements are owned and controlled by you. Be aware that even if a composition of a song is in the public domain, arrangements and recordings of that composition most often are not.
    edited April 2010
    LuigiHann;3630790 said:
    July 18th, 2009

January 27th, 2010:

April 2nd, 2010:

Seems like a disagreement, especially since the latest quote is with regards to Wavegroup, a company who basically licenses covers for a living, and thus would know all about getting legit rights.

So let's check the FAQ for confirmation: http://creators.rockband.com/docs/FAQ

Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me. Henry either misspoke or the rules changed on him.

By the way, if people read this and are suddenly worried about the fate of the Fauxharmonic's use of Public Domain songs, fear not. The FAQ does go on:

So, then this would mean a cover of the tetris theme would be a-okay!
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3630973 said:
    only if its public domain AND its your version of it
    edited April 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3630973 said:
    Sadly, while the Russian folk song "Korobeiniki" is in the public domain and thus no one can own the copyright, The Tetris Company has a valid trademark on the song's use within the context of a computer or video game, presumably to prevent Tetris knock-offs from using the same song. So while you could certainly record it and sell it in a non-game context, like on a CD, using it in-game would be exactly the sort of murky water that Harmonix would probably shoot down to avoid a potential conflict.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if The Black Mages would be able to release their songs, seeing as it's headed by the guy who wrote most of the Final Fantasy series music.
    edited April 2010
    LoopyChew;3631558 said:
    I wonder if The Black Mages would be able to release their songs, seeing as it's headed by the guy who wrote most of the Final Fantasy series music.
    Yes, they would. Nobuo Uematsu owns all of the material he wrote for the games, as well as the Black Mages versions AND the record the black mages are signed too. It's only a matter of finding a decent way of contacting him...
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    LoopyChew;3631558 said:
    The Skies Above, NAO!
  • PonchoPoncho Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    Duane and Brando I would buy every single song they released no matter the price.
  • SheyvanSheyvan Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Just Imagine FFX's Otherwold from Steve Ouimette

Yeah Cabbage Boy would be cool

But guys,.. Crush 40 is already confirmed,.. and i guess they are without any doubt a videogame band :D
  • EviladeUKEviladeUK Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    I'm confused, does this No Covers Rule apply to only the as made famous by songs? Or was it made after the release of songs like Smooth Criminal, Ring of Fire, etc.

Oh, and Powerglove for RBN!
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2010
    EviladeUK;3635773 said:
    I'm confused, does this No Covers Rule apply to only the as made famous by songs? Or was it made after the release of songs like Smooth Criminal, Ring of Fire, etc.

Oh, and Powerglove for RBN!
    A bit of both. If the song is not in the public domain, you can't release a cover of it at all.

If it IS in the public domain, it can't be patterned after someone else's performance--for example, Ploy of Oracle can't release their cover of House of the Rising Sun since it's patterned after the Animals version.

So most video game covers won't be able to secure rights to the original song. This is why I'd be very happy if The Black Mages ended up on RBN--because they're theoretically one of the few video game bands that COULD be published on RBN.
    edited April 2010
    EviladeUK;3635773 said:
    The no covers rule is for Rock Band Network, the system through which independent authors can submit tracks for peer approval. Harmonix does not have to follow RBN rules when creating its own "official" DLC, such as the examples that you mentioned.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited April 2010
    Sheyvan;3635655 said:
    But guys,.. Crush 40 is already confirmed,.. and i guess they are without any doubt a videogame band :D
    That's not happening anymore.
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, no more Crush 40. Also, no Powerglove. I was gonna try and get them in (with all the necessary licensing needed of course) but half way through the band decided they didn't wanna go through with it :(.
    Also, I'm trying to get ahold of Nobuo Uematsu about getting The Black Mages into the RBN through Square-Enix and Nobuo's record company "Dog Ear Records", but no luck so far.
    I was also talking to BrandO (Duane and BrandO) a while ago about the RBN, but neither of us sent a message back to one another in a while so I'm not exactly sure what ever happened there lol
  • jfh2112jfh2112 Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    GeneralGilliam;3637824 said:
    Yeah, no more Crush 40. Also, no Powerglove. I was gonna try and get them in (with all the necessary licensing needed of course) but half way through the band decided they didn't wanna go through with it :(.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Open Your Heart would have been EPIC.
    GeneralGilliam;3637824 said:

Also, I'm trying to get ahold of Nobuo Uematsu about getting The Black Mages into the RBN through Square-Enix and Nobuo's record company "Dog Ear Records", but no luck so far.
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

The Rock Band Network forum: it's an emotional rollercoaster!
    edited April 2010
    jfh2112;3643054 said:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Open Your Heart would have been EPIC.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

The Rock Band Network forum: it's an emotional rollercoaster!

Yeah, well if it makes you feel any better the only track Powerglove has split audio stems for is Tetris anyways, so if in the future they decide to get back onboard that's the only song you'll be seeing unless they re-record a song just for RB (not saying Tetris wouldn't be kick ass though, cause it would).

Don't get your hopes up too high, Nobuo is a VERY difficult person to get ahold of. I honestly don't expect to ever get a reply back, however, will never stop trying....until they contact me back and tell me to **** off of course.