So if I bought a used copy at GameStop...

ActualSizeActualSize Unsigned
edited April 2010 in LEGO: Rock Band
...what I'm gathering is that I'm screwed in the export department.

Maybe (probably) this has been brought up already, but I didn't see a definitive yes/no in any of the half-dozen or so threads I checked about export-related issues -- just a lot of references to an insert/code that (naturally) didn't come with the copy of the game I bought, because I picked it up pre-owned. So if I'm not mistaken, even if I'm willing (and, in fact, trying right at this very second) to pay the ten-dollar export fee, I still basically get a big ol' middle finger from Harmonix because I didn't pony up for a brand-new disc as well.

Am I understanding this right?

Comments

• Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited April 2010
    Yes, you're probably 99% likely not going to have an unused code.

I believe it's been answered several times.

And it's not a big ole' middle finger, since HMX makes no money off of a used copy. In fact, it could be argued that you'd be giving HMX a middle finger for buying it used. (No, I'm not, but I know people who will).

I suggest you return it. Game stop will let you return used games.

You can get it new for $25 online.
  • ActualSizeActualSize Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    Thanks; I figured this was a pretty common question, but I didn't actually see it answered anywhere.

I think the middle-finger issue is a matter of perspective; on the one hand, I bought a used copy instead of a new one, and that's depriving Harmonix and their partners of a sale. On the other hand, I bought a used copy instead of... well, anything else at all that I could have spent my money on -- a different game, a movie ticket, gas for my car, whatever -- then basically walked up out of the blue and offered to just give them ten dollars. And they swatted my hand away.

Still, I understand why it works this way; how many different consoles does, say, a single GameFly disc end up inside in a year? It's a pain for me to have to deal with, but the policy's got some valid reasoning behind it, and let's face it, no amount of internet whining on my part is going to change it anyway.

In any case, I took some time on my lunch break today to head back to GameStop and make use of the aforementioned really lenient used games return policy; it turns out a new copy was only going for about five dollars more than I'd paid for the used one. Between my return and another game I was trading in anyway, I actually came out three bucks ahead on the deal (if you don't factor in that I could have put that trade-in credit toward something else).
  • deathmonkeydeathmonkey Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    ActualSize;3634707 said:
    Thanks; I figured this was a pretty common question, but I didn't actually see it answered anywhere.

I think the middle-finger issue is a matter of perspective; on the one hand, I bought a used copy instead of a new one, and that's depriving Harmonix and their partners of a sale. On the other hand, I bought a used copy instead of... well, anything else at all that I could have spent my money on -- a different game, a movie ticket, gas for my car, whatever -- then basically walked up out of the blue and offered to just give them ten dollars. And they swatted my hand away.

Still, I understand why it works this way; how many different consoles does, say, a single GameFly disc end up inside in a year? It's a pain for me to have to deal with, but the policy's got some valid reasoning behind it, and let's face it, no amount of internet whining on my part is going to change it anyway.

In any case, I took some time on my lunch break today to head back to GameStop and make use of the aforementioned really lenient used games return policy; it turns out a new copy was only going for about five dollars more than I'd paid for the used one. Between my return and another game I was trading in anyway, I actually came out three bucks ahead on the deal (if you don't factor in that I could have put that trade-in credit toward something else).
    damn near all of their used games are like that...$5 less than a brand new copy
  • PereiraPereira Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    ActualSize;3634707 said:

Let's be realistic, your "perspective" pretends you were doing an act of charity and ignores the fact that you're offering to pay $10 for 45 songs.
  • Dog WelderDog Welder Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    More and more companies are going to put these codes inside new games to help prevent used game sales because the developers make $0 off of them. BioWare has been doing that with "free" DLC codes that would cost $15 to purchase if you bought the game used.

There's still going to be people who don't care about that stuff, but it will put money back into the developers' pockets.

I fully expect that RB3 will have a premium code to convert RB2 into DLC.
    edited April 2010
    Pereira;3635867 said:
    Let's be realistic, your "perspective" pretends you were doing an act of charity and ignores the fact that you're offering to pay $10 for 45 songs.
    45 songs I already had in my possession through perfectly legal and legitimate means and didn't actually need to pay anything for, because, you know, I already had paid for them and they were already mine. I paid the previous owner of the disc (GameStop) for those. I wasn't offering to pay $10, or in fact, anything at all, for the songs, because I didn't have to. I was offering to pay for the ability to move them from one medium to another, the direct cost of which to Harmonix is negligible.

But to re-iterate, none of that matters now, because I've already returned the used disc, bought a new one, paid the export fee, and exported the songs to my hard drive. It's already done -- Harmonix has their sale, and I have my LRB songs available in RB2, plus a copy of LRB itself. Everybody's happy. So at this point, arguing about it doesn't accomplish anything; If you want to discuss the moral and ethical implications of the legal transfer of private property between consenting individuals just to have a friendly debate, that's fine, but I'm not going to fight about it, particularly since I don't actually have a horse in this race anymore.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 2010
    ActualSize;3635969 said:
    45 songs I already had in my possession through perfectly legal and legitimate means and didn't actually need to pay anything for, because, you know, I already had paid for them and they were already mine. I paid the previous owner of the disc (GameStop) for those. I wasn't offering to pay $10, or in fact, anything at all, for the songs, because I didn't have to. I was offering to pay for the ability to move them from one medium to another, the direct cost of which to Harmonix is negligible.
    They have to consider the worst-case scenario, in which basically the $10 export can be abused by one person passing around his otherwise brand-new LRB disc to a bunch of his friends. Sure, Harmonix is getting $10, but how much are they losing on the disc sale? How much are Tt or MTV games losing on it, for that matter?
    But to re-iterate, none of that matters now, because I've already returned the used disc, bought a new one, paid the export fee, and exported the songs to my hard drive. It's already done -- Harmonix has their sale, and I have my LRB songs available in RB2, plus a copy of LRB itself. Everybody's happy. So at this point, arguing about it doesn't accomplish anything; If you want to discuss the moral and ethical implications of the legal transfer of private property between consenting individuals just to have a friendly debate, that's fine, but I'm not going to fight about it, particularly since I don't actually have a horse in this race anymore.
    Hope you enjoy the export. :-)
  • PereiraPereira Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    lol @ talking about morals, laws, ethics. For real? HMX didn't screw you over, and that's all that needs to be said. I don't know how you got anything else out of my post.
  • deathmonkeydeathmonkey Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    ActualSize;3635969 said:

i think the concern here is that because it's a used game, if you were able to buy the export license you could return the disc and in that case you would have paid $10 for 45 songs, which is just being cheap. so thank you for doing the right thing and returning the used copy to gameschlock...
    edited April 2010
    Dog Welder;3635883 said:
    More and more companies are going to put these codes inside new games to help prevent used game sales because the developers make $0 off of them. BioWare has been doing that with "free" DLC codes that would cost $15 to purchase if you bought the game used.
    I'm familiar with that, but I'm not sure that's the same thing; I bought a (new) copy of Dragon Age a few weeks ago, and it had a one-time-use code insert that allowed me to download a $15 add-on for free. But if I had bought that one used, I still would have had the option of paying the extra $15 and getting the add-on that way. Bioware's approach encourages people to buy the new one instead of the used one, yes, but it does it in a way that doesn't punish people who buy it used by actually preventing them from accessing a feature.
    LoopyChew;3636005 said:
    They have to consider the worst-case scenario, in which basically the $10 export can be abused by one person passing around his otherwise brand-new LRB disc to a bunch of his friends. Sure, Harmonix is getting $10, but how much are they losing on the disc sale? How much are Tt or MTV games losing on it, for that matter?
    Like I said earlier, I understand to policy; GameFly alone would potentially account for thousands of unsold copies of the game if export licenses weren't pretty tightly-controlled (well, maybe not "unsold," as not everyone who rents a game is someone who would have bought it otherwise, but at least there would be a lot of people who'd be getting a lot of product for far less than intended). Not to mention traditional rentals, RedBox, and people taking advantage of the very same GameStop return policy I did. I'm not really complaining; I only brought this up because I wanted to verify that it worked the way it does. It was a pain for me to deal with, but it's been dealt with; at this point, it's a non-issue for me.
    Pereira;3636052 said:
    lol @ talking about morals, laws, ethics. For real? HMX didn't screw you over, and that's all that needs to be said. I don't know how you got anything else out of my post.
    Well, looking again, I'm seeing quotation marks around the word "perspective," presumably to indicate a dismissive attitude toward my use of the term, the implication that I intended to rip anyone off, and the word "pretends."
    deathmonkey;3636797 said:
    so thank you for doing the right thing and returning the used copy to gameschlock...
    You're... welcome?

I'm not sure it was "the right thing," though... would keeping my used copy and just dealing with not being able to export the songs have somehow been "the wrong thing?" It's a used copy of the game, not a stolen one. My whole point when I brought up perspective was that there really isn't a "good guy" and a "bad guy" here, just different views of an issue. Nobody's the villain.

I don't know if you guys know this, but if I were to buy a used Prius, Toyota wouldn't see a dime from me. They'd have already been paid for their product the first time it was sold. After that, the new owner is free to do with it whatever they want, including selling it to someone else. Nothing shady or dishonest or conspiratorial; just people doing business with other people.
  • edited April 2010
    Yes, you are getting a "big ole middle finger" from the company because they incentivized people to purchase their product via their preferred channel. (ie: new)

:rolleyes:

Don't play the victim here. You would not have gotten dog piled on by the forum populace if you had not phrased your question in such an inflammatory manner.

And for the record, your comparison to the Toyota Prius is completely bogus. Toyota does not give you the ability to clone a copy of the car, and then sell the original. Sorry for the harsh assessment, you seem like an articulate fellow, but you really pushed the wrong buttons.
This discussion has been closed.