RBN for wii?

MatthewTheDarkMatthewTheDark Opening Act
edited May 2010 in The Rock Band Network
i want to know. will RBN be coming for wii?

Comments

• Tobz21Tobz21 Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    according to wikipedia a selection of the songs will be made available for ps3 and wii
  • vedisvedis Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    there was a post in the other thread talking about this

ps3 is likely to get it sooner or later

if your on wii....dont hold your breath(they cant even patch the game to include it due to nintendo policy, so you may be waiting for rb3 to hear anything for wii)
  • MatthewTheDarkMatthewTheDark Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    i still want RBN for wii i have heared one of my favorite songs is going in RBN
  • Pwnz0r3dPwnz0r3d Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Wait for RB3.

We arent getting anything besides DLC at this point.

must resist urge to switch "we" with "wii"
  • FretmaticFretmatic Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    The Network itself? Probably never. After awhile they'll start moving songs over as some type of DLC, to PS3 and Wii. Hopefully your song will be one, or you'll be SOL.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    weirdphil;3635346 said:
    I'll just leave this here...
    Wow.

It's... it's like a drum circle for beating dead horses.
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited April 2010
    jawillroy;3635823 said:
    Wow.

It's... it's like a drum circle for beating dead horses.
    Best laugh I've had all day.

Thank you.
  • weirdphilweirdphil Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
  • GeneralGilliamGeneralGilliam Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    MatthewTheDark;3634371 said:
    i want to know. will RBN be coming for wii?
    No.
  • nicko68nicko68 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    HMXHenry said they were working on it, but have technical challenges. I would be happy enough for them to release some songs as DLC for now until it can be done properly in RB3.
  • nicko68nicko68 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    Hey, how about releasing RBN as a Wiiware title? It can simply connect to RBN (which would have to be set up of course) and add the songs to RB's library.
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited May 2010
    vedis;3634395 said:
    there was a post in the other thread talking about this

ps3 is likely to get it sooner or later

if your on wii....dont hold your breath(they cant even patch the game to include it due to nintendo policy, so you may be waiting for rb3 to hear anything for wii)

While I do agree that RB3 may hold some RBN keys of some sort - the "Nintendo policy" in terms of patching games is incorrect. It's not so much a policy issue as it is a tech issue. If Wii had an actual OS running, patches COULD be done. Adding RBN to RB2 Wii would require a whole new game disc being issued (see the GH3 Wii mono/stereo goofup & subsequent disc swap rebate they offered)

There are Wii games that do see "patches", but in the form of hotfixes to address bugs/glitches, etc in some online-equipped games (COD: MW Reflex being the most recent game to get them, the addition of Favre as a NY Jet happened on Wii as well for Madden 09 - was a fix that DL-ed the 1st time you went online w/ it)
    edited May 2010
    nicko68;3675613 said:
    Hey, how about releasing RBN as a Wiiware title? It can simply connect to RBN (which would have to be set up of course) and add the songs to RB's library.
    This, as well as a RB Channel for things like Store/DLC organizing & track importation, is something I & others have floated here for some time now. Could conceivably be something added via Wii Shop to some extent.
  • The-Dude1212The-Dude1212 Rising Star
    edited May 2010
    nicko68;3675613 said:
    jwebb1970;3675634 said:
    This, as well as a RB Channel for things like Store/DLC organizing & track importation, is something I & others have floated here for some time now. Could conceivably be something added via Wii Shop to some extent.
    THIS.

I really hope HMX has at least considered WiiWare. I mean, it is out there, it exists, it's viable, and that at least can support updates, in some unknown fashion.

Hell, charge the 1200 or 1500 Wii Points for importing RB1 songs to an SD card, and even allow us to cherry pick which individual songs we want to download, so as not to clutter up our SD cards with songs we won't play anyways (I certainly wouldn't be touching Flyleaf, given the choice, but I'd still fork over the $10 plus a bit extra to play the rest of the RB1 songs without having to switch discs or use the RB1 guitar).

C'mon, HMX, you know us Ninty fans would be just as passionate about RB like the 360ers if our hardware was more sophisticated!
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited May 2010
    nicko68;3675606 said:
    HMXHenry said they were working on it, but have technical challenges. I would be happy enough for them to release some songs as DLC for now until it can be done properly in RB3.
    It's not that easy. For example, RBN songs can't be played in multiplayer tug-of-war because they're not split into sections like that. There are probably other issues most people don't think of that you can't just copypasta onto normal DLC.

Also, WiiWare is for standalone games, not patches for retail games. Besides, given how few people download songs on Wii compared to other platforms, and that RBN songs are generally more esoteric than normal DLC (not that there aren't some hits there), how many people are going to pay extra for something that's already on the game on the other consoles?
    edited May 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;3677550 said:
    It's not that easy. For example, RBN songs can't be played in multiplayer tug-of-war because they're not split into sections like that. There are probably other issues most people don't think of that you can't just copypasta onto normal DLC.

Also, WiiWare is for standalone games, not patches for retail games. Besides, given how few people download songs on Wii compared to other platforms, and that RBN songs are generally more esoteric than normal DLC (not that there aren't some hits there), how many people are going to pay extra for something that's already on the game on the other consoles?
    A RBN Wii Channel that cost something extra would still be cheaper for me than getting a 360 or PS3, replacement drums/guitars & the nearly 200 RB2 tracks & all the TB:RB tracks I have purchased over the last 1 1/2 years. As a Channel, it could be independent of the main game enough to get certain types of updates, or simply be a 2nd "music store", whose content is RB-compatible.

I do think for the non-RBN things like track imports & even a Store location, a RB Channel - not necessarily RBN - would be great. And certainly doable either via WiiWare or from the disc itself (a la Mario Kart). The Channel itself could be patched or updated for whatever reason it may need it.

RBN would be a nice icing to the cake, but for most Wii users probably not a major deal breaker. Wii users will have access to at least some of that content @ some point anyway. Myself & many on this forum would like to have it for real (or as real as the PS3 version), but for most Wii users - maybe not so much.

But there are still some of those obsessive Wii rockers out there. While I've never really known what the ratio of DLC buys vs 360/PS3 are for these games, the data one can see on Nintendo Channel shows that RB2 is rather popular, at least w/ those Wii users that are connected to the 'net & supply such data to the big N. SO there is certainly a market there.

In the end, as long as RB3 for Wii manages to have less of a a storage problem (which it will - SDHC - finally!) and can one way or another pull off the coveted primary features of track imports & album/pack purchases that GH managed to accomplish - a happy bunch we'll all be!