"Across the Universe"

MistressDMistressD Rising Star
edited April 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
FX will be showing this movie on Sunday. For those who don't know, "Across the Universe" is a modern musical based on the music of The Beatles. I've always been curious about it. For those who have seen it, is it any good? I'm really curious to know.

Comments

• TheObscureTheObscure Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    No.

Think Grease but with Beatles songs and Beatles references.
  • Dozer3677Dozer3677 Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    And Bono...... OHH MY.

Nuff said, Bono. That alone should make you not want to see it.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited April 2010
    Its horrible. But you should watch it once so you can see how bad something like this could be.

And dont get attatched to any of the characters, if thats even possible. Nothing leads to anything.
  • edited April 2010
    The covers are horrible, the plot is crap, the characters are incredibly unlikable, and the nods to the Beatles are like Baby's First Beatles Reference. The scenes they create for the songs are either incredibly over-literal, or just plain pointless, and they're all horrible (especially I Want You).

But you should watch it just to see how horrible it is. It's like watching a train wreck. It's absolutely terrible, but you feel you need to watch it due to morbid curiosity. (This may or may not be an exaggeration.)

Me and my (also Beatles-obsessed) friend watched it together, swearing we both had to stick it out for the whole thing. We made it, but just barely.

But hey you might like it! :)
  • MurdocisGod1990MurdocisGod1990 Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    For the Benefit of Mr. Kite! is completely BUTCHERED in the movie, honestly, its like what everyone else said. The only good part is that they play a lot of White Album songs.
  • AceNod137AceNod137 Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    I don't understand why you guys hate it so much, I personally liked it.
  • ElegyElegy Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
  • Big-A2Big-A2 Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    MistressD;3634400 said:
    FX will be showing this movie on Sunday. For those who don't know, "Across the Universe" is a modern musical based on the music of The Beatles. I've always been curious about it. For those who have seen it, is it any good? I'm really curious to know.
    Watch some of it on YouTube before making your decision.
  • PleasePleaseMeatPleasePleaseMeat Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    ^
    |
    |
    |

What he said.

I quite liked some of the covers, and if you're open-minded enough to accept it for what it is, I think you'll enjoy it.
  • CaptainKickerCaptainKicker Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    I saw it on the shelf in a supermarket to like 2$, but i decided not to buy it. Seemed like a sh*tty movie.

But i'll watch some clips on YouTube, and see if its any good.
  • Gigli78Gigli78 Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    There were enough good covers to redeem the time spent watching it... once. As far as a "movie" though, it's terrible. There's no plot, the dialogue is horrible and you wish every character would lemming off a cliff because they are so idiotic. If you watch it all the way through once, I can almost guarantee that you'll never do it again - you'll just play the parts that you liked.
  • cutmaclasscutmaclass Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    Gigli78;3636396 said:
    There were enough good covers to redeem the time spent watching it... once. As far as a "movie" though, it's terrible. There's no plot, the dialogue is horrible and you wish every character would lemming off a cliff because they are so idiotic. If you watch it all the way through once, I can almost guarantee that you'll never do it again - you'll just play the parts that you liked.
    Totally agreed. I saw it once in theaters and have occasionally tried to watch it on cable but I've never been able to stomach the full thing since the theater release.

Awful, awful film.
  • MistressDMistressD Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    Okay, I'm starting to get it. It's free though, so what the hell. I'm online for school most of the time, so I'll remember YouTube. I'm such a blond, I used it to look up the songs in the game, but I keep forgetting to look up movies. Thanks for the suggestion. If worse comes to worse, I could always put it on to help me sleep! :p
  • fatalfiend37fatalfiend37 Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    I didn't think its was THAT bad, the movie was o.k but by no means a good movie, the only thing that I really can't stand about it, is the fans of the movie who assume their Beatles fans and don't even like or know the original songs
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Let Me put it this way, Magical Mystery Tour was an alot better movie than Across The Universe.
  • Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    ATU is a horrible, horrible movie. Terrible covers, no real plot, it works way too hard to use lines/characters in the Beatles songs with no real purpose...

After the movie ended, all I could think was how much I wanted those two hours back. I wouldn't watch it again if you came over and paid me $20 to put the DVD in the player. Blecch!
  • BricksBricks Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    I thought it was excellent! I especially like the way it embodies all the influences of the 1960's. The parrallels are well drafted into a whole that is both satisfying and well presented. Sadie who embodies Janis Joplin and insecure in love, JoJo who portrays a Jimi Hendrix fleeing from his grief, Prudence a lesbian charachetr trying to fit in at a time that civil rights is still an issue. There are many others, Dr. Robert reflects Ken Keasey and travelling on his infamous 'further' bus takes the Acid test participants on a psychedelic cross country 'trip' to see the Charachter who is supposed to represent Timothy Learyt and the Activist that Lucy falls in love with simulates the notorious Jerry Rubin.

The imagery is equally breathtaking and although disturbing, reflects the times as they really were. I especially like the Strawberry fields sequence. There are several statements made and by far the most Potent is the I want you sequence, with its very effective dramatzation of the soldiers bearing the brunt of the statue of Liberty during the She's so heavy lyrics.

Yes I loved this movie, i thought it was well done and the music was also very well performed. The Revolution sequence is sexy with Jude in the Jerry Rubin charachters face and I want to hold your hand performed ultra slow and melancholic.

Five thumbs up!!!
  • BricksBricks Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    Rod_Stixx;3637241 said:
    ATU is a horrible, horrible movie. Terrible covers, no real plot, it works way too hard to use lines/characters in the Beatles songs with no real purpose...

After the movie ended, all I could think was how much I wanted those two hours back. I wouldn't watch it again if you came over and paid me $20 to put the DVD in the player. Blecch!
    You are either too young or unaware of the history of the era -0 the plot is thick with '60s genre references: Sadie who embodies Janis Joplin and insecure in love, JoJo who portrays a Jimi Hendrix fleeing from his grief, Prudence a lesbian charachetr trying to fit in at a time that civil rights is still an issue. There are many others, Dr. Robert reflects Ken Keasey and travelling on his infamous 'further' bus takes the Acid test participants on a psychedelic cross country 'trip' to see the Charachter who is supposed to represent Timothy Leary and the Activist that Lucy falls in love with simulates the notorious Jerry Rubin.
  • NoWhereMan18NoWhereMan18 Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    Convinently I just watched this with my friend last night for the first time. Although the singing is awful, i liked it but didn't love it. There are a lot of little Beatles references that are pretty cool to find. If you like random off the wall humor watch it cuz u will enjoy it
  • DaytrippedDaytripped Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    I never understood why this movie is hated so much, it's a good movie. Don't let those haters stop ya!

People saying there's no plot, what are you talking about? There is? It's not 2001: A Space Odysee..

People saying they use too much Beatles reference..wtf? That's the point? :rolleyes:
  • SystemSCSnakeSystemSCSnake Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    This movie is bad, and extreeeemely overrated, those who like this movie either like to go with majority, or think everything is a good movie. I'm not attacking other people either, I've seen this movie and it is bad , Similar to people who think Twilight is a good movie.

The plot is extremely hard to understand, the use of beatles songs make less sense then the random beatles references thrown in, making this movie pretty much just a "Without the Beatles I wouldn't be successful" movie. The covers are horrid, their in the same level as the Jonas Brothers cover of Hello Goodbye.

You can see this movie just because it is a tribute to the Beatles, but that is probably the only reason you should.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited April 2010
    Daytripped;3640608 said:
    I never understood why this movie is hated so much, it's a good movie. Don't let those haters stop ya!

People saying there's no plot, what are you talking about? There is? It's not 2001: A Space Odysee..

People saying they use too much Beatles reference..wtf? That's the point? :rolleyes:
    There's a plot, yes, but it's ****ing stupid and serves no purpose other than to badly tack one Beatles reference on top of another. If you've seen the "Free as a Bird" video, you've seen a better, shorter version of Across The Universe.
  • QwertyMcUiop1963QwertyMcUiop1963 Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Now I have an interest in seeing just how bad this film is.
  • I_Use_ShamwowsI_Use_Shamwows Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    I liked it in the sense that it did it's best to be a tribute to the beatles.

Ableit some of the covers were absolutely god awful (Mr. Kite, I Want To Hold Your Hand, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, And the worst being Come Together) There were some covers that were decent or were tolerable (I want you (She's So Heavy), Let It Be, and my favorite being Strawberry Fields) The movie wasn't the best, but after watching it you will definitely only watch the parts you liked again.

I still can't get over how horrible that Come Together cover was......
  • Gigli78Gigli78 Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    Bricks;3637385 said:
    I thought it was excellent! I especially like the way it embodies all the influences of the 1960's. The parrallels are well drafted into a whole that is both satisfying and well presented. Sadie who embodies Janis Joplin and insecure in love, JoJo who portrays a Jimi Hendrix fleeing from his grief, Prudence a lesbian charachetr trying to fit in at a time that civil rights is still an issue. There are many others, Dr. Robert reflects Ken Keasey and travelling on his infamous 'further' bus takes the Acid test participants on a psychedelic cross country 'trip' to see the Charachter who is supposed to represent Timothy Learyt and the Activist that Lucy falls in love with simulates the notorious Jerry Rubin.

The imagery is equally breathtaking and although disturbing, reflects the times as they really were. I especially like the Strawberry fields sequence. There are several statements made and by far the most Potent is the I want you sequence, with its very effective dramatzation of the soldiers bearing the brunt of the statue of Liberty during the She's so heavy lyrics.

Yes I loved this movie, i thought it was well done and the music was also very well performed. The Revolution sequence is sexy with Jude in the Jerry Rubin charachters face and I want to hold your hand performed ultra slow and melancholic.

Five thumbs up!!!
    There you have it! This isn't the first time I've heard people who were born in the 40s/50s/60s say that they loved this movie ... but it was mostly for nostalgic reasons, not for movie quality. So, if you fall into that age bracket, don't give up hope on Across the Universe. If you were born any later and still want some nostalgia, watch Ferris Bueler's Day Off - there's tons of Beatles references in that movie too (and by "tons" I mean "three").

... also, people born in the 40s/50s/60s are born with waaay too many thumbs (see above).
  • RaiderThaxRaiderThax Unsigned
    edited April 2010
    If you had to watch one, which would you watch? Sgt. Pepper's from the 70s or Across the Universe?

Saw Sgt. Pepper a week or two ago for the first time, but I haven't seen ATU. Pepper was awful, but fun in parts. Billy Preston...I laughed the whole time during his part...classic!
  • cutmaclasscutmaclass Rising Star
    edited April 2010
    RaiderThax;3643965 said:
    If you had to watch one, which would you watch? Sgt. Pepper's from the 70s or Across the Universe?

Saw Sgt. Pepper a week or two ago for the first time, but I haven't seen ATU. Pepper was awful, but fun in parts. Billy Preston...I laughed the whole time during his part...classic!
    Sgt. Pepper is just painful, but at least it's hilariously bad.

Across the Universe isn't even funny. It takes itself and its highly banal plot lines too seriously and just trudges on, and it's almost unbearable. At least Sgt. Pepper has a "Haha, seventies movies were so silly" vibe to it.
  • liaminhliaminh Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    I'd give it three stars. Not great. Not bad. Some of the imageries are pretty cool. My four-year-old son loved it. If Netflix streaming had it I'd definitely get it for him.
  • IColinoIIColinoI Opening Act
    edited April 2010
    Bricks;3637385 said:
    Five thumbs up!!!
    Only mutants like this movie.

Did anyone mention how terrible this movie is?